General Discussion Competiting with the new MINI on track or at a SCCA Solo event.

My First Track Day!

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2015, 03:29 PM
TrueEddie
5th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
My First Track Day!

Hi guys, it had always been of mine to take my car out for a track night. I just never really understood what was involved in setting up a track date and where I could do it. Back in March I read this article on MotoringFile.com. After reading article and then the track night website I realized I could finally make my dream come true.

So last month I got to participate in my first ever track day. I did "Track Night In America" at Palm Beach International Raceway. I have to say it was definitely the most fun thing I've ever done.

Between paced laps and three 20 minute sessions I really feel like I got my money's worth and had a blast. Here are a some of my favorite pictures and a video that I put together of my experience. Enjoy!

Going through turn 1.

Re-entering Paddock

Rounding Turn 2

Exiting Turn 2

Old 08-19-2015, 04:01 PM
PelicanParts.com
Vendor
Received 62 Likes on 59 Posts
Very nice! I love seeing people out on the track for the first time. I remember mine and really have enjoyed watching my progression each time out. Do you plan to go back out with SCCA again?

888.280.7799 | 6am - 5pm PST
Old 08-19-2015, 05:42 PM
Eddie07S
OVERDRIVE
Received 1,135 Likes on 890 Posts
Very nice
Two hands on the steering wheel and smooth transitions between turns, very good! Those are a couple of fine points that are good to pick up early and they will serve you well as you progress. Nice.

One time out and he's hooked. Welcome to "track crack"

Last edited by Eddie07S; 08-19-2015 at 05:43 PM. Reason: Typo
Old 08-19-2015, 07:32 PM
TrueEddie
5th Gear
Originally Posted by PelicanParts.com
Very nice! I love seeing people out on the track for the first time. I remember mine and really have enjoyed watching my progression each time out. Do you plan to go back out with SCCA again?
I really hope to! Probably going to have to wait until next year though. Gets a little pricey when you add in track day insurance, and two tanks of gas (I'm 160mi from PBIR). At least I wouldn't have to buy the helmet again

Originally Posted by Eddie07S
Very nice
Two hands on the steering wheel and smooth transitions between turns, very good! Those are a couple of fine points that are good to pick up early and they will serve you well as you progress. Nice.

One time out and he's hooked. Welcome to "track crack"
Thanks! It does seem like it can easily become addicting.

Old 08-20-2015, 08:42 AM
PelicanParts.com
Vendor
Received 62 Likes on 59 Posts
Originally Posted by TrueEddie
I really hope to! Probably going to have to wait until next year though. Gets a little pricey when you add in track day insurance, and two tanks of gas (I'm 160mi from PBIR). At least I wouldn't have to buy the helmet again
Yes, track days most certainly get expensive. Fuel, food, track day ticket, wear and tear, it all adds up unfortunately, but that feeling when you're out there and put down an awesome track time makes all of it well worth it! The more you get out there, the more you'll be hooked. It's very addicting. Good luck out there and looking forward to seeing your progression out on the track with your MINI.

888.280.7799 | 6am - 5pm PST
Old 08-20-2015, 03:36 PM
Eddie07S
OVERDRIVE
Yup this is an expensive activity. However you are wise to have spent your money on track insurance.

One option is to look into SCCA's autocross program (called "Solo"). These tend to be local events that you can attend at a nominal cost. The great thing about autocross is that it teaches you a lot about your car's handling and how to control it. This translates really well to the track for when you do go. It also teaches good driving habits for the real world roads.

Also take a look at motorsportsreg.com to see if there are any track events closer to you.

Let us know how you make out.

Old 08-21-2015, 06:03 AM
TrueEddie
5th Gear
Originally Posted by Eddie07S
Yup this is an expensive activity. However you are wise to have spent your money on track insurance.

One option is to look into SCCA's autocross program (called "Solo"). These tend to be local events that you can attend at a nominal cost. The great thing about autocross is that it teaches you a lot about your car's handling and how to control it. This translates really well to the track for when you do go. It also teaches good driving habits for the real world roads.

Also take a look at motorsportsreg.com to see if there are any track events closer to you.

Let us know how you make out.
Wow, thanks for the link. I had no idea there were so many events in my state. Unfortunately not so many in central Florida, but at least I have more options.

Old 08-23-2015, 04:24 PM
Eddie07S
OVERDRIVE
I know that tracking a car is expensive, but, if you are going to continue to do it you will need to invest in a good set of brake pads. While there are a number of things important on the car, the brake pads are the main thing between you driving home or not. The better you get, the more towards a full race pad you will need to go. A lot of people start out with the Hawk HP+ pad. As you improve, consider going to something like the Hawk Street/Race pad which has a higher temperature range. If you are handy with a wrench, you can change the pads quickly by pulling the 2 bolts on the back of the caliper that hold it to the steering knuckle (not the slide bolts). Higher temp (eg race) pads more aggressively wear the rotors and tend to wear faster themselves than, say, stock pads. By changing them out, you can cut down on costs.

As a "frill" consider getting a set of CGLocks for the safety belts. Not very expensive and you can sometimes find them used on NAM for less than new. These will keep you from sliding around in the seats and can stay in the car all of the time.

Hope you are able to continue with your new found obsession.
Enjoy

Old 08-24-2015, 09:31 AM
TrueEddie
5th Gear
I have actually thought about doing brakes for my next upgrade after the Helix Intercooler I've ordered. I was thinking about getting the JCW brakes. When I get closer to that I will have to do some more research.