JCW Garage Interested in John Cooper Works (JCW) parts for your 2nd Generation MINI? This is where JCW upgrades and accessories for the MINI Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S (R56), and Cabrio (R57) MINIs are discussed.

JCW JCW Turbo Inlet Tube...?

Old 07-11-2008, 08:42 PM
Hoopty
2nd Gear
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
JCW Turbo Inlet Tube...?

On the JCW press release engine picture it shows a larger, smooth, turbo inlet tube. Is this a performace upgrade for us non JCW folks? Can I order this from the dealer?

R

Attached Thumbnails JCW Turbo Inlet Tube...?-turbo-inlet-tube.jpg  
Old 07-11-2008, 08:45 PM
samroberto
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
good call !
I'm sure it would be along the same lines as the Alta turbo inlet tube, and I really doubt any dealer would hassle warranty issues over a piece of tubing, albeit higher flowing tubing...
But I understand, if there was a jcw tube I could buy, I would probably get that one instead too!

Old 07-11-2008, 09:22 PM
n1tr0
5th Gear
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
since they've supposedly upgraded the turbo, there may be some size/fitment differences, we'll probably have to wait for them to hit the shore and fall into some adventurous hands, but if it is all the same size, maybe the turbo can be swapped straight across as well.

Last edited by n1tr0; 07-11-2008 at 09:48 PM.
Old 07-11-2008, 09:36 PM
Mozza
5th Gear
As far as I know these are factory JCW tubes only and won't be available to anybody without a factory JCW VIN.

Old 07-11-2008, 09:52 PM
El_Griton
6th Gear
thats what they said about the GP parts, guess what happened there......

Old 07-11-2008, 09:54 PM
fongaroos
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by Mozza
As far as I know these are factory JCW tubes only and won't be available to anybody without a factory JCW VIN.
so what if my "friend" has a jcw mcs and somehow his turbo inlet pipe was damaged... could i ask my friend to order another one that just happened to fall into my engine bay?

Old 07-11-2008, 09:58 PM
dunphyj
4th Gear
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
hahaha slick thinkin :P unless they ask for a VIN number haha

i donno tho... i have the Alta turbo inlet hose on my stock intake... that alone actually seems to look great and increase flow a bit at high RPMs... and tho i don't have an intake yet... i'm sure it will help in that terms... i just wish i had a dyno to prove what feels like a very wee bit more power up top...

Old 07-11-2008, 10:01 PM
fongaroos
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by dunphyj
hahaha slick thinkin :P unless they ask for a VIN number haha

i donno tho... i have the Alta turbo inlet hose on my stock intake... that alone actually seems to look great and increase flow a bit at high RPMs... and tho i don't have an intake yet... i'm sure it will help in that terms... i just wish i had a dyno to prove what feels like a very wee bit more power up top...
this was a very common mod for the 1.8t engines for audi a4s. one of the audizine guys made a video of the turbo inlet pipe, but i cant find it right now. you could actually see that under heavy boost the OEM turbo inlet pipe would actually COLLAPSE on itself. this basically chokes the turbo by restricting airflow to the turbo inlet. i had a samco turbo inlet hose and it maintained its shape throughout the boost range.

the same thing can be said for the turbo OUTLET side. the hoses expand a lot when you're hitting higher boost levels. having a silicone hoses or hardpiping everything is actually very beneficial.

Old 07-11-2008, 10:03 PM
joshK
4th Gear
lol. there's always a way to get parts

Old 07-11-2008, 10:04 PM
Mozza
5th Gear
Originally Posted by fongaroos
so what if my "friend" has a jcw mcs and somehow his turbo inlet pipe was damaged... could i ask my friend to order another one that just happened to fall into my engine bay?

Yep I wouldn't foresee any problems with you doing that so long your friend actually had a factory JCW VIN to order with.

Old 07-11-2008, 10:05 PM
Mozza
5th Gear
Originally Posted by joshK
lol. there's always a way to get parts
I didn't say otherwise. I'd be quite happy to get somebody any parts they might need.

Old 07-11-2008, 10:07 PM
Mozza
5th Gear
Originally Posted by fongaroos
this was a very common mod for the 1.8t engines for audi a4s. one of the audizine guys made a video of the turbo inlet pipe, but i cant find it right now. you could actually see that under heavy boost the OEM turbo inlet pipe would actually COLLAPSE on itself. this basically chokes the turbo by restricting airflow to the turbo inlet. i had a samco turbo inlet hose and it maintained its shape throughout the boost range.

the same thing can be said for the turbo OUTLET side. the hoses expand a lot when you're hitting higher boost levels. having a silicone hoses or hardpiping everything is actually very beneficial.
Actually a high quality hard pipe with no restrictions is even more preferable to silicone and as far as I know one of the vendors here, Exhaust Depot, has some high quality hard pipe tubing complete with optional HKS BOV in the works.

Old 07-12-2008, 10:49 AM
joshK
4th Gear
I didn't say otherwise. I'd be quite happy to get somebody any parts they might need.
You sir, are awesome.

Old 07-12-2008, 10:54 AM
fongaroos
2nd Gear
Actually a high quality hard pipe with no restrictions is even more preferable to silicone and as far as I know one of the vendors here, Exhaust Depot, has some high quality hard pipe tubing complete with optional HKS BOV in the works.
yah i saw that thread a while ago. i dont think its being mass produced though...

its still early in the game for the r56. the aftermarket scene is just getting started up.

Old 07-12-2008, 10:58 AM
japper
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by Hoopty
On the JCW press release engine picture it shows a larger, smooth, turbo inlet tube. Is this a performace upgrade for us non JCW folks? Can I order this from the dealer?

R
You can indeed order this from your dealer. I ordered this for my stage 1 JCW earlier this week. The part retails at £67 and is stock in Germany. I should have this by end of next week. I believe the only change may be a larger inlet dia. at turbo. If so i'll have a spacer ring collar machined in plastic.

BTW: The factory works runs the flat panel filter from US spec cars and not the cylindrical filter as the stage 1.

Figure that one out

I'll post pics once done

Old 07-12-2008, 08:23 PM
Hoopty
2nd Gear
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Anybody have the part number for this part? I want to try and order one.

Hoopty

Old 07-13-2008, 10:15 AM
japper
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by Hoopty
Anybody have the part number for this part? I want to try and order one.

Hoopty
I'll ask for this and post back tomorrow

Old 07-14-2008, 09:31 AM
japper
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by japper
I'll ask for this and post back tomorrow
This part has arrived at the dealer today and will be with me Wednesday. I'll provide part no. then

If anyone has any problem with getting hold of this part then my dealer will supply worldwide and accepts paypal. He also gives great discount

Old 07-14-2008, 06:41 PM
n1tr0
5th Gear
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by japper
This part has arrived at the dealer today and will be with me Wednesday. I'll provide part no. then

If anyone has any problem with getting hold of this part then my dealer will supply worldwide and accepts paypal. He also gives great discount
sounds great, looking forward to some more information on this

Old 07-16-2008, 07:51 AM
japper
3rd Gear
Fitted it

Perfect fit with no mods required.

Tried to measure the inside dia. ( O.D. - 2 x thickness ) and it's not bigger but bigger for longer. It's now 2.75" right up until the breather hose connection. It's not as big as the ALTA version, but only cost me £58.63 and keeps the OEM look.

Not driven it in anger yet, so will post back later if i can feel any difference, although i doubt much if any.

Part no. M13.71.7.582.453

C.

Old 07-16-2008, 08:14 AM
Ben-Ja-Min
2nd Gear
Japper, your in the UK right? Does it fit to the air box ok? I think the JCW car even in the UK has a MAF sensor!? no problems with spacing? might get this for mine! Do you have any pics?

Old 07-16-2008, 08:44 AM
japper
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by Ben-Ja-Min
Japper, your in the UK right? Does it fit to the air box ok? I think the JCW car even in the UK has a MAF sensor!? no problems with spacing? might get this for mine! Do you have any pics?
Hi Ben,

Yep, in UK and no fitting issues with the JCW Stage 1 tuning kit. This would have fitting / spacing issues with a EU spec std MCS.

C.

Old 07-16-2008, 08:55 AM
Ben-Ja-Min
2nd Gear
It would? There is no difference in the stock inlet tube between a Stage 1 JCW and a Std Cooper S, they only change the airbox not the turbo inlet hose. So why would it work with a Stage 1 car and not a standard car?

Old 07-16-2008, 11:20 AM
japper
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by Ben-Ja-Min
It would? There is no difference in the stock inlet tube between a Stage 1 JCW and a Std Cooper S, they only change the airbox not the turbo inlet hose. So why would it work with a Stage 1 car and not a standard car?
They change the inlet hose too, or they did on mine. The JCW is shorter IIRC to allow for the MAF sensor blank shroud between hose and airbox.

Old 07-16-2008, 02:50 PM
Ben-Ja-Min
2nd Gear
So this shroud must have a part number? Mmmmm.... wonder what it is?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: JCW JCW Turbo Inlet Tube...?