JCW Garage Interested in John Cooper Works (JCW) parts for your 1st Generation MINI? This is where JCW upgrades and accessories for the Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs are discussed.

ALTA / JCW shift indicator DIY for the R53/GP

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2007, 07:41 PM
ADAMSALTAMINI
Former Vendor
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ALTA / JCW shift indicator DIY for the R53/GP

folks, well Giusseppe was dying to get some mods to match his stablemate Howard! So one of the first things was the JCW shift indicator! Now at first this may seem like a simple task, but if you have looked at what JCW offers for the R53, you will see the problem. It is a dash mounted single sided indicator, that looks like dog-doo-doo vs. the R56 version that mounts on the column. SOOOOOO not content to stay with the norm, I decided to mount the R56 version on the R53 column. Here we go!

First call ALTA or go online to www.altaminiperformance.com and order up the JCW R56 Shift Indicator. Then indicate you have an R53 and you get the proper instructions, hardware etc. to match.

Second, when the package arrives you will get the indicator mounted on top of the R56 column plate. To begin, hack this piece apart. (I know sounds rough! Don’t be scared!) Remove the two screws that secure the indicator to the plate. Then pull the indicator away from the plate.

Then do this:

I used a set of dykes to simply open up a slot in the plate to release the wire.

Now, with the JCW indicator free from the clutches of the R56 plate, grab a set of wire cutters or similar and carefully cut a small slot in the side of the tube that protrudes from the bottom of the indicator. The slot is necessary to allow the wire to fold over instead of go down. (So this makes more sense, the end of this grey wire has a LARGE plug on it. As a result you can’t feed the wiring through the R53 plate. Instead we will run the wire under the indicator, then under the OEM tach or tach/speedo combo.) See photo below.

Disconnect the battery.

Remove the tach (or tach/speedo combo) from the column plate cover in your R53. Then remove the plate.

Now using the R56 plate as a guide, mark two small holes to be drilled into the R53 plate. (Don’t make these too big!!!!!) Then use the screws removed above to mount the indicator to the plate. And it will look like this photo below (note the new ALTA Gauge Pod/Gauge combo mounted as well!)

Ok! Now remove the lower knee protection panel from under the steering column. It has two small screws and two rather sturdy pop-it type fasteners at the top. PULL HARD!

This allows for mounting of the white control box for the indicator. Using the supplied wire ties strap it to the substructure under the dash.

Finally, locate the OBDII data port under the dash. Release it from the mount to get better access to the wiring leading away from it.

Using the ‘T-taps’ provided by ALTA, tap the following wires:

Green with Blue Stripe
Brown
White with Red Stripe.

Then using the supplied male ends supplied by ALTA connect the three wires leading away from the control box to the following:

Green wire on Indicator goes to Green with Blue Stripe
Brown to Brown
White to White with Red Stripe.

Using the BMW instructions flip the dip switches in the control box to 4-cyl, then choose a redline point. These are variable. On the GP I chose 7000 RPM.

Then re-install the top plate, tach etc. Re-connect battery.

Start engine. If the indicator is working, it will flash etc., then leave one green LED illuminated in the center.

Then steadily bring the RPM up toward the redline chosen to watch how the lights move from the inside out.

For a YouTube video go to ALTAminiperformance.com click on JCW OEM parts, then the indicator, then on videos.

Double check that everything is re-connected and bolted tight and enjoy!

Thanks!

Adam
ALTA MINI Performance
www.altaminiperformance.com
adam@altaminiperformance.com
NAM Handle ADAMSALTAMINI

FOR PHOTOS CLICK THE LINK FOR THE .PDF BELOW!

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
ALTAJCWR53SHIFTLIGHT.PDF (193.8 KB, 1422 views)
Old 10-03-2007, 12:05 PM
JCW Driver
6th Gear
Having seen this in person this weekend, I have to say a huge thumbs up. It really is cool.

Old 10-29-2007, 11:06 PM
Edge
AdMINIstrator
VERY nice... at MOTD, I asked the MINIUSA guy about the new JCW shift light indicator, and whether it would also be released to support the 1st Gen MINIs. He said no... R56 only. That ticked me off.

My only concern (in my typical paranoid self) is that the fact it taps wires might affect the factory warranty, as it is not officially supported on the R53... so I might not get it yet, but I definitely see one in my MINI's future (14,000 miles left on warranty!).

Way to go Adam! The original JCW shift light looks like crap... this is SO much better.

Old 10-30-2007, 06:39 AM
ALTAPerformance
Former Vendor
Originally Posted by Edge
VERY nice... at MOTD, I asked the MINIUSA guy about the new JCW shift light indicator, and whether it would also be released to support the 1st Gen MINIs. He said no... R56 only. That ticked me off.

My only concern (in my typical paranoid self) is that the fact it taps wires might affect the factory warranty, as it is not officially supported on the R53... so I might not get it yet, but I definitely see one in my MINI's future (14,000 miles left on warranty!).

Way to go Adam! The original JCW shift light looks like crap... this is SO much better.
Thanks for the compliments! I truly don't expect ANY warranty concerns as it uses an OEM JCW part, and only taps into signals. For warranty issues the lead must be cut, not tapped. PLEASE let me know if I can ever help further! Thanks again! adam@altaminiperformance.com

Old 11-28-2007, 02:40 PM
Hwydsgnr
3rd Gear
I just ordered the JCW R56 shift lights from Alta for my R53 (Xmas present from my wife).

Just wondering if the cable from the lights is still visible as you run the wire under the tach?

I have the factory boost/volt gauge cluster that has a new top plate/gauge pod and there doesn't appear to be enough room to slide the wire under the tach.

Any way to remove and then reattach the plug?

Can you cut the wire and splice (connectors or solder)?

Ever think of mounting them on the blank atop the dash for the solar sensor (for those of use without auto A/C) and running the wire down to OBD port from there?

Old 11-28-2007, 02:48 PM
ALTAPerformance
Former Vendor
Thank you for asking. I replied to your mail today as well:

Thank you for asking. The answer is both yes and no. VERY small amount of it is shown (like less then 1/4") I don't see how the wire could be removed from the plug, UNLESS you wanted to cut and splice (which could be done for sure.)

Hope that helps! Thanks again for your purchase and christmas coming early!

Adam Taft
ALTA MINI Performance
3111 NE Shute Rd.
Hillsboro, OR 97124
503-693-1702 voice
503-693-1782 fax
www.altaminiperformance.com

Old 11-29-2007, 11:00 AM
pbraun
5th Gear
Put one on my GP a few weeks ago, and I love it! An additional bonus is that you can increase the red line to 7250 if you want! I did! great!

Old 11-29-2007, 11:36 AM
ALTAPerformance
Former Vendor
Glad you like it!

Thanks for the feedback here!

Old 11-29-2007, 12:08 PM
Motor On
6th Gear
Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by Hwydsgnr
I just ordered the JCW R56 shift lights from Alta for my R53 (Xmas present from my wife).

Just wondering if the cable from the lights is still visible as you run the wire under the tach?
instead of typing how about I just show you how it looks?
PHOTOS
NOTE: I could havemounted it further back for even less visibility of thewire but as personal preferance I wanted it flush with the fron of the fascia

Old 11-29-2007, 12:56 PM
Eric_Rowland
OVERDRIVE
Received 43 Likes on 38 Posts
Nice music selection!

Old 11-29-2007, 02:39 PM
JCW Driver
6th Gear
Exceptionally cool mod. (makes a note to Santa Claus....)

Old 11-29-2007, 04:16 PM
Hwydsgnr
3rd Gear
Thanks Motor On for the photos.

After my post I actually did find your photos and printed them out for reference.

Since this is an Xmas present I will have to wait until January for the install. It will make a good winter project for the garage.

Old 11-29-2007, 04:43 PM
Motor On
6th Gear
It will make a good winter project for the garage.
Err I did it in 45min toan hour with a pocket knife, with proper tools it's about a 15-20 min job.

Old 11-29-2007, 04:47 PM
ALTAPerformance
Former Vendor
EXCELLENT point!

Old 11-29-2007, 04:47 PM
Hwydsgnr
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by Motor On
Err I did it in 45min toan hour with a pocket knife, with proper tools it's about a 15-20 min job.
I have the factory boost/volt gauge cluster that has a new top plate/gauge pod and there doesn't appear to be enough room to slide the wire under the tach.

May need to cut and resplice the wires and hide them totally under the top plate.

Old 11-29-2007, 05:19 PM
garylimey
3rd Gear
Dito, will it all fit

Old 11-29-2007, 05:30 PM
ALTAPerformance
Former Vendor
I BELIEVE it will certainly work. MIGHT have to cut the wires and splice instead and then drill a hole, vs. tucking the wires.

Call me if you are lost.

Thanks again!

Old 11-30-2007, 02:55 PM
Hwydsgnr
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by ALTAPerformance
I BELIEVE it will certainly work. MIGHT have to cut the wires and splice instead and then drill a hole, vs. tucking the wires.
That's what I'll probably do.

Also been thinking of mounting them on the on top of the dash where the the solar sensor blank (round buttom for those without auto a/c) is and running the wire down to the OBD port from there. May look nice above the dash.

I will need to check the curve on the bottom of the lights vs. the rear dash top once I get it apart.

Old 12-19-2007, 03:22 PM
ADAMSALTAMINI
Former Vendor
That's what I'll probably do.

Also been thinking of mounting them on the on top of the dash where the the solar sensor blank (round buttom for those without auto a/c) is and running the wire down to the OBD port from there. May look nice above the dash.

I will need to check the curve on the bottom of the lights vs. the rear dash top once I get it apart.
How did it go? What did you find out?

Old 12-21-2007, 02:16 PM
Hwydsgnr
3rd Gear
See post #12. It's a Xmas present. Maybe next weekend I'll give it a shot.

Will definitely post pictures.

Any idea of the wire gauge I will be tapping into and splicing?

Last edited by Hwydsgnr; 12-21-2007 at 02:57 PM. Reason: Add question on wire gauge
Old 12-21-2007, 04:36 PM
ADAMSALTAMINI
Former Vendor
Ok I am an idiot! I am sorry!

It is like 14/16 gauge wire.

Thanks again!

Old 12-25-2007, 05:22 PM
MUShadd
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My GF ordered one of these for me, but I doubt she disclosed that I have an R53. The instructions included were for an R56, are there any specific parts that I should check for to see if I got the correct version?

Old 12-25-2007, 05:43 PM
Motor On
6th Gear
Originally Posted by SnYpR
My GF ordered one of these for me, but I doubt she disclosed that I have an R53. The instructions included were for an R56, are there any specific parts that I should check for to see if I got the correct version?
If it came on a stering colum panel its the R56 part, it should have the junction box, as long as your wires are right you'll be all set, I never had to indicate anything when I ordered mine. Hopefully ALTA can confirm this before hand, if not I'd wait a couple of days and give them a phone call.

(BTW-GF who supports mods )

Old 12-25-2007, 05:57 PM
newbs49
Banned
SnYpR
You have to take the indicator off the R56 panel and mount it on your panel.
Adam has instructions to do this. He did this to his GP, and I believe Pbraun has also.

Old 12-25-2007, 07:09 PM
Hwydsgnr
3rd Gear
Just unpacked the shifts lights and made a template of the bottom of the indicators to match against my top plate with the OEM boost/volt gauges.

Looks like the two curves don't match with the top plate having a sharper curve.

Anyone else notice this on your R53 installs with the standard top plate?

From the other install photos I have seen on the standard top plate, it appears to match very well.

Quick Reply: ALTA / JCW shift indicator DIY for the R53/GP