Drivetrain (Cooper S) MINI Cooper S (R53) intakes, exhausts, pulleys, headers, throttle bodies, and any other modifications to the Cooper S drivetrain.

Drivetrain Show us your shift light

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2007, 12:47 PM
Maxicooper
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Show us your shift light

I'm looking for a functional and good looking shift light. There are a few in the market. Please show yours if you have one to help me decide.
I normal shift by looking at the tech, listen and feel the engine. But sometimes with my eyes concentrate on the road and the radio is too loud, I missed the shifting point.
Thanks in advance.

By the way, I'm not sure if this thread should be here or at the electronic. Mod. please feel free to move to a more appropriate forum.

Old 02-17-2007, 01:17 PM
Tüls
Turbius Maximus
The Rogues carry them... they are not listed on the page... I'll have to make sure that gets changed.... here's what mine looks like

it's the little silver circle between the tach and the fuel pressure gauge on the right...

it cam be hard wired or pluged into your cigaret liter... it has brightness control and RPM control at the turn of a ****...

here's a pic of a similar one...

Last edited by Tüls; 02-17-2007 at 01:25 PM.
Old 02-17-2007, 01:31 PM
Bahamabart
6th Gear
GTech is an option. Plus it does a bunch of other stuff - see their website.

I know what you mean about being so focused you miss the ideal shift point. The Gtech warns w/ a single light, then 2, then 3 and then you get the 4 lights. While off to the side it is impossible to miss.

Old 02-17-2007, 01:49 PM
Frodo
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by Tüls
The Rogues carry them... they are not listed on the page... I'll have to make sure that gets changed.... here's what mine looks like

it's the little silver circle between the tach and the fuel pressure gauge on the right...

it cam be hard wired or pluged into your cigaret liter... it has brightness control and RPM control at the turn of a ****...

here's a pic of a similar one...
Wow, for once I have something that Tuls has. This is very easy to install and you don't need any adaptors for the ecu which are very $$$. Works great!...now all I need is about 200+ more HP, turbo, front IC and I might be able to keep up with Tuls...

Quick, easy, and low cost.

Frodo

Old 02-17-2007, 01:54 PM
jhiggs26
6th Gear
Bahamabart,

How do you like the features of Gtech? Was it easy to install? Do you upload from the Gtech to your PC? Thanks!

Old 02-17-2007, 04:12 PM
Maxicooper
6th Gear
Anyone with the JCW shift indicator?

Old 02-18-2007, 06:00 AM
Bahamabart
6th Gear
Originally Posted by jhiggs26
Bahamabart,

How do you like the features of Gtech? Was it easy to install? Do you upload from the Gtech to your PC? Thanks!
The Gtech is a fun gadget and it does teach you a little more about your car. For my install see in the exterior/interior section - "gtech pro rr install". I'm really happy with my install for it look permanent but its not at the same time. The only thing I sacrificed was the circular vent ring.Yep, I upload hp/tq runs to the pc and produce dyno like graphs. You can also capture 30 minutes of track time.

Old 02-18-2007, 07:15 AM
Maxicooper
6th Gear
Cool...
Autometer, JCW or any other?

Old 02-18-2007, 07:33 AM
jhiggs26
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Bahamabart
The Gtech is a fun gadget and it does teach you a little more about your car. For my install see in the exterior/interior section - "gtech pro rr install". I'm really happy with my install for it look permanent but its not at the same time. The only thing I sacrificed was the circular vent ring.Yep, I upload hp/tq runs to the pc and produce dyno like graphs. You can also capture 30 minutes of track time.
Thanks! I'll check out your install Bahamabart. I looked into the Gtech option last year but never followed up on it because of some guys not finding power for the unit. If I do go for the 'Gtech Pro RR' then I'll have to get a new computer as I'm sadly still running Windows Millenium!

Old 02-18-2007, 11:28 AM
CmdrVimes
Stuck in Reverse
Originally Posted by Maxicooper
Anyone with the JCW shift indicator?
I've seen the JCW shift light in a car somewhere. It didn't fit. Looked way out of place. It really isn't even a JCW part as I believe it came off another BMW model and was just re-branded as JCW.

Old 02-18-2007, 01:42 PM
ScottRiqui
OVERDRIVE
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Thanks! I'll check out your install Bahamabart. I looked into the Gtech option last year but never followed up on it because of some guys not finding power for the unit. If I do go for the 'Gtech Pro RR' then I'll have to get a new computer as I'm sadly still running Windows Millenium!
Actually, Windows ME would work just fine. In fact, the PASS software that comes with the unit feels like a Windows ME-era creation. And the GTech has a serial port, not a USB port, so it might not even connect to a newer computer anyway without an adaptor.

I have an old Windows P.O.S. laptop right now that serves no purpose other than to download my GTech Pro RR datafiles.

Old 02-18-2007, 03:32 PM
Bahamabart
6th Gear
The GTECH won't work using the cigarette lighter in the MINI. In my install you will see that rather then cut off the GTECH cigarette lighter plug in; I bought a cigarette lighter plug and tapped it directly to the battery terminal under the hood and ground also thus keeping the GTECH wiring intact.

Old 02-18-2007, 05:19 PM
not-so-rednwhitecooper
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

It requires a Tach adapter since the signal wire on a coil pack reads differently than on a car with a distributor.

Working on getting an LED light to replace the crap bulb that came with it.

Old 02-18-2007, 05:32 PM
COR BLMY
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I had 2 that I got off ebay
I hard wired a dual sig lighter to the POWER in the enginr compartment (for a clean signal)

I set them in the corner of the dash and set 1 to flash dimly at about 5.5K the other to flash bright at 6.5K. BLUE LIGHT

I liked it and once set was functional.

Since replaced with the G-tech

I'll try to dig up some photos

Old 02-18-2007, 11:17 PM
SilverBullet3687
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by not-so-rednwhitecooper
I like your airbags. Your car is very very safe

Old 02-19-2007, 04:30 AM
luckydoggarage
3rd Gear
Black eye

Hey not-so, what are you going to do, god forbid, if that air bag under the A pillar deploys? All the gauges are going to become flying debris. You'll have AUTOMETER tattoed across your forehead.
I use a very simple shiftlight from Autometer that has pills that are inserted for the desired shift point. it works great, is easy to install, and can be seen in bright sunlight.

Old 02-19-2007, 05:27 AM
not-so-rednwhitecooper
6th Gear
I dont like airbags, so I dont have any, pretty simple. I'm waiting on a new steering wheel here sometime in the near future.

The air bag IS NOT under the pillar, contrary to what everyone says. The retaining strap is under there, and the pillar cover is tethered, so either way its not going anywhere.

Old 02-19-2007, 06:18 AM
Maxicooper
6th Gear
Originally Posted by luckydoggarage
Hey not-so, what are you going to do, god forbid, if that air bag under the A pillar deploys? All the gauges are going to become flying debris. You'll have AUTOMETER tattoed across your forehead.
I use a very simple shiftlight from Autometer that has pills that are inserted for the desired shift point. it works great, is easy to install, and can be seen in bright sunlight.
I like that idea as well, I only need the shift light. What will be the best location for installing the device, in term of easiness and functional. Please advise or pictures, may be?

Old 02-19-2007, 12:41 PM
not-so-rednwhitecooper
6th Gear
I like the cheap shift lights better.

I have the summit brand one in my car.

Its got a **** on the back to change the rpm at which it comes on at instead of pills. I have infinite adjustability with mine, and I dont have to drop $60 or $70 bucks on extra pills.

Old 02-20-2007, 07:34 PM
cooper s kid
1st Gear
Originally Posted by not-so-rednwhitecooper
I like the cheap shift lights better.

I have the summit brand one in my car.

Its got a **** on the back to change the rpm at which it comes on at instead of pills. I have infinite adjustability with mine, and I dont have to drop $60 or $70 bucks on extra pills.

i also have a light simillar to this but when i wired it up it didnt work i couldnt find the tach signall - i think its called ???

Old 02-20-2007, 09:22 PM
COR BLMY
6th Gear
you shouldn't need a "tach" signal if the unit you have has a processor...

The dual set up I had "reads" the RPM from a GOOD power signal (lighter is filtered so you need to wire to the battery cable).

Old 02-20-2007, 09:32 PM
not-so-rednwhitecooper
6th Gear
You need a signal adapter.

Search on Summit's website. MSD sells one for under $50.

Old 02-20-2007, 10:36 PM
COR BLMY
6th Gear
The units I had have the "signal adaptor" / processor included.

Old 02-20-2007, 10:50 PM
not-so-rednwhitecooper
6th Gear
None of the Autometer ones or even the Stewart Warner ones read in the way the stock coil pack sends its signal.

Its reads the signal the same way aftermarket tachs reads.

Old 10-10-2007, 07:25 PM
Motor On
6th Gear
Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Quick Reply: Drivetrain Show us your shift light