Interior/Exterior Interior and exterior modifications for Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Interior/Exterior Fire extinguisher installation?

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2005, 08:39 PM
skywarrior
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Fire extinguisher installation?

I purchased a small Halon fire extinguisher for my wifes new Mini. Looking for some suggestions on placement or mounting configuration. There isn't much hard surfaced interior room for anything extra to be attached to. The paneling is so flexible that it wouldn't hold anything with weight for long, much less in a sudden stop. Any ideas out there or directions to a previous thread on the subject?

Old 08-18-2005, 06:11 AM
Wagnbat
6th Gear
Old 08-18-2005, 12:09 PM
kenchan
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
not sure if I have the time to run to the boot if I noticed that my car was on fire.

plus, if the 12v self destruct fuse thing goes, wouldn't the boot latch
system not work?

Id put it on the floor on the driver side... i don't know if there's anything
running under there so haven't been able to determine a perfect spot for
mine either... It's still sitting on my shelf. I took it off my old WRX I had.

Old 08-18-2005, 12:18 PM
kmickey
3rd Gear
Old 08-18-2005, 12:42 PM
kenchan
6th Gear
now this is what im talking about

Originally Posted by kmickey

Old 08-18-2005, 04:32 PM
Ozbone
3rd Gear
I used to carry a Halon extinguisher all the time but then they got really difficult to find - so I'm curious where you got one ... and an idea for the $$$.
BMW commonly offers a psgr seat mount for most of their cars, in Europe anyway. Maybe they have one for the MINI too.

Old 08-18-2005, 04:41 PM
tarditi
2nd Gear
If you don't have passengers behind the driver seat you could mount it there, too... a little aluminum bar stock (any home improvement/hardware store) will go a long way!

Old 08-18-2005, 05:50 PM
flav
5th Gear
are minis spontaneously combusting and i am not aware? why in the world do you need a fire extinguisher in a mini? if my mini happened to catch fire i would not stick around to put it out. thats what insurance is for isnt it?

Old 08-18-2005, 05:53 PM
tarditi
2nd Gear
Some car clubs require a FE to participate in club events (rallys, autoX, etc.).

Old 08-18-2005, 06:54 PM
kenchan
6th Gear
Originally Posted by flav
are minis spontaneously combusting and i am not aware? why in the world do you need a fire extinguisher in a mini? if my mini happened to catch fire i would not stick around to put it out. thats what insurance is for isnt it?
you *could* prevent a forest fire if you car was in an accident in the
woodlands...or even mountain side.

Old 08-18-2005, 07:15 PM
Tüls
Turbius Maximus
That's awsome...mine is in back right now but that's way better!!

Originally Posted by kmickey

Old 08-20-2005, 08:41 PM
skywarrior
1st Gear
Fire extinguisher placement solution & roof decal

Gents,
Thanks for all the suggestions but I finally found my own solution for the placement of my Halogen fire bottle in the crowded cockpit enviornment. After checking that there was nothing on the other side of the firewall that would be affected by drilling, I found that just above where the carpet ends in the passenger footwell is a suitable place to install it. I of course checked that the bottle wouldn't interfere with a long legged passenger feet before drilling. This will provide immediate easy access and eliminate the possibility of the bottle becoming a projectile from the rear in case of an accident. The second photo preforated Canadian flag is see though and covers only the sunroof and helps cut down on the sun .

Attached Thumbnails Fire extinguisher installation?-fire-extinguisher-placement.jpg   Fire extinguisher installation?-canadian-flag-roof-application.jpg  
Old 08-20-2005, 08:45 PM
Dr Obnxs
Former Vendor
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I did this too

Because my mustang club requires the extinguisher be rechable from the driver seat with the seat-belt on. It's a great set up, but it does rattle a little. The nicest thing is that it moves with the seat.

Matt

Old 10-22-2005, 07:31 AM
MGCMAN
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
After a friend lost his Austin Healey 3000 Mk III BN8 to an electrical/gasoline fire, I've come to realize that 2.5 Lbs. of Halon 1211 just isn't enough. I've purchased a 5 Lb. extinguisher and am looking for suggestions on mounting it in the MCS. I like the look of the Livermore Performance seat track mounted unit, but it claims to be for a 2.5 Lb. unit only. Anyone mounted a 5 pounder on one? Other mounts for a 5er? Any suggestions welcome.

Old 10-22-2005, 09:08 AM
Dr Obnxs
Former Vendor
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
It should handle it fine.

Originally Posted by MGCMAN
After a friend lost his Austin Healey 3000 Mk III BN8 to an electrical/gasoline fire, I've come to realize that 2.5 Lbs. of Halon 1211 just isn't enough. I've purchased a 5 Lb. extinguisher and am looking for suggestions on mounting it in the MCS. I like the look of the Livermore Performance seat track mounted unit, but it claims to be for a 2.5 Lb. unit only. Anyone mounted a 5 pounder on one? Other mounts for a 5er? Any suggestions welcome.
while not listed for the 5 lb bottle, the little sucker is a sturdy brace. I also did the Safecraft billit mount (they do full supression systems as well, click on the link to see more). Livermore Performance is a reseller, not the manufacturer of seat mount. It's made by Brey-Krause. While their website is less than ideal, you can find what you want there. The contact information is there as well, so you can find out if it will support a 5 lbr directly, or if they'll make you a bigger one. Also, the 2.5 bottle may be enough to buy you time, to get a bigger one from the boot. If you're really serious here, get a remote system that you can actuate with a button from the cockpit, like a true race system.

Matt

Old 09-04-2006, 08:50 PM
k-huevo
6th Gear
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Although the Brey-Krause mount is convenient I didn’t care for the weight of the fire extinguisher hanging so far out there. I reasoned it would fatigue the seat rail over time and rattling wouldn’t be far behind. I also could see that mounting location wouldn’t leave much room for my girlfriend’s legs and her purse, those extra groceries that need to go in the front floor, or a cylinder head.

For the fire extinguisher to be accessible while in the driver’s seat, the mounting location was limited to the immediate area behind the passenger’s seat not including the floor. Releasing the extinguisher from its wire mount required some head room creating more limitations on space. The place I wanted to mount it next to the cup holder would have required an elaborate and heavy bracket. The body surrounding the gas tanks had few safe areas to drill holes or places that could be reached and there were body brace reinforcements to contend with. There were two small places I could get to but mounting a support bracket would have prevented access to the tanks. In the end couplers became the solution and made this mounting location possible.

Old 09-04-2006, 09:17 PM
Motor On
6th Gear
Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
My solution

Custom fabrication

Old 09-05-2006, 02:34 PM
Pir8 97
4th Gear
Mine is similar to k-huevo's

Old 09-05-2006, 02:43 PM
boognish
4th Gear
Halon is way expensive.

Is there any reason why a standard "A, B, C" fire extinguisher would not work to put out an engine-bay fire? I mean, during a fire, any fire extinguisher is better than none, right? Or will the A,B,C one cause potential collateral damage due to whatever it uses to put out the fire? Whereas Halon does not cause any more damage other than what the fire destroys....is that the primary reason for using Halon in a car fire?

-boognish

Old 09-05-2006, 05:28 PM
ScottinBend
6th Gear
In a word yes.......the powder types of extinguishers will corrode the wiring and more.

Old 11-06-2006, 08:20 AM
OctaneGuy
Vendor & Moderator :: MINI Camera and Video & c3 club forum
In case anyones interested in the Brey Krause mount--I took photos of my install yesterday.

https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...ad.php?t=83614

Richard