Interior/Exterior Interior and exterior modifications for Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Interior/Exterior Bonnet stripes AND clear guard?

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2005, 07:22 AM
minicoopermike
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bonnet stripes AND clear guard?

Anybody have both bonnet stripes and the clear guard kit which covers the front end? I assume they would overlap in areas or ? Do you apply the bonnet stripes first or the clear bra? Thanks!

Old 06-02-2005, 10:12 AM
kenchan
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
there was a post on this a while ago.

I would put the stripes under the clearbra because the stripes will
scratch from rocks and you'd want to protect it, and clearbra is
a service item where it would be replaced when worn.
but, ive seen many people say otherwise. :smile:

On my car, Im only using the aero bumper clearbra from www.autoclearguard.com (Ryan). none for bonnet or
side mirrors.

Old 06-02-2005, 10:19 AM
Donna/Mike
Sand Dollar Collector
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Our stripes are under the clear bra - more protection... I'm not sure I've ever seen a MINI with the stripes OVER the clear bra but I'm sure there are some out there.....

Donna
02' CR/W MCS (gone to MINI heaven - burned up)
05' Cool Blue MCSC "Ariel"
05' HB/W MCS

Old 06-02-2005, 11:36 AM
welshmenwillnotyield
6th Gear
Interesting that this thread would come up now. I just got bonnet stripes and haven't installed them yet. As luck would have it, my Cooper ALREADY has the Clear Bra. I was told the stripes should be cut right at the edge of the Clear Bra upon installation before completing the job on the Clear Bra itself, in case I ever wanted to take them off and not remove the Clear Bra, too. Evidently the stripes WILL show at the "line" about as much as my Clear Bra does now...oh well...the price one must pay to further enhance the great looks of his passion!

Old 06-02-2005, 01:44 PM
mrdirosa
3rd Gear
My wife has a cooper with the stripes UNDER the clear bra and I have a Cooper S with the stripes OVER the clear bra - so I've gotten a chance to see both.

On my wife's cooper, the clear bra lifts at the edges of the stripes giving it a white edge line - also, the stripes fade at differing degrees so now the part under the bra is much glossier than the section toward the windshield...very unattractive.

On my S, there is a slight line where the stripes overlap the bra but it's not that noticable unless you really look at it (just like you would look at the clear bra's edge).

The result?
My wife wants me to redo her's so that the stripes are OVER the clear bra. Pain in the butt but very worth it appearance-wise.

Hope this helps!
Michael

Old 06-02-2005, 02:02 PM
rickevans
1st Gear
Stripes under for me

Old 06-02-2005, 02:20 PM
ted leist
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by mrdirosa
My wife has a cooper with the stripes UNDER the clear bra and I have a Cooper S with the stripes OVER the clear bra - so I've gotten a chance to see both.

On my wife's cooper, the clear bra lifts at the edges of the stripes giving it a white edge line - also, the stripes fade at differing degrees so now the part under the bra is much glossier than the section toward the windshield...very unattractive.

On my S, there is a slight line where the stripes overlap the bra but it's not that noticable unless you really look at it (just like you would look at the clear bra's edge).

The result?
My wife wants me to redo her's so that the stripes are OVER the clear bra. Pain in the butt but very worth it appearance-wise.

Hope this helps!
Michael
I agree with Michael for the reason that he states.

Old 06-02-2005, 02:31 PM
JWM
1st Gear
I got my clear bra at the time of purchase so there was not a choice when I got custom stripes. After reading the posts I could see the fading issue. The stripe installer said the stipes would outlast the clear bra, we will see.

Old 06-02-2005, 06:38 PM
JCW Driver
6th Gear
Originally Posted by JWM
I got my clear bra at the time of purchase so there was not a choice when I got custom stripes. After reading the posts I could see the fading issue. The stripe installer said the stipes would outlast the clear bra, we will see.
Those stripes look GOOD.

Me want.

Old 06-02-2005, 06:42 PM
MINIclo
7th Gear Gal
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Here are Wanda's new chrome bonnet stripes (thanks, AesthetiCreations). I wish I had been able to put a clearbra over them. They already have major rock chip holes in them from my roadtrip.

Clover