Interior/Exterior Interior and exterior modifications for Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S (R56), and Cabrio (R57) MINIs.

Interior/Exterior OEM roof rack installation & fairing

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2008, 08:12 AM
fupac133
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
OEM roof rack installation & fairing

I am buying the OEM Roof Rack from Mini of Concord and I will be picking it up this weekend. I saw a while back there was step by step instructions on how to install the OEM mini roof rack. I have searched everywhere and I found the PDF version. I remember seeing a member taking pictures of each process as well. I am trying to find the pictures posted. Does anyone know if you can put the Thule or Yakima fairing on the OEM roof rack system? If so any special mods has to be made to make it fit. Do we get any special discount from Mini of Concord since we are a member here on NAM? PLEASE HELP!!!!!

Thanks
Jeff

Old 06-23-2008, 08:27 AM
OPC
RATTUS Deserticus
I think this is the thread you're looking for. I bookmarked it for just this reason.

Old 03-09-2009, 03:26 PM
Flyinace2000
6th Gear
Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
Thanks for the link. I just picked up my rack for the awesome price of $290 w/ ski/board attachment.

Old 03-09-2009, 04:26 PM
Flyinace2000
6th Gear
Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
Another question. According to a comment on MotoroingFile
I bought a 2007 Cooper S and the base support rack from the dealer. What a pain to install! It took 4 hours and a trip to the dealer (the service was too busy but the sales manager was very helpful). Learn from me and it will take you less than an hour! It’s really a two person job. Don’t bother cutting away the rain gunnel. The trick is to find the correct slot to stick the bracket into the roof. Use the plastic card as vertical as you can and then pry the gunnel toward yourself to reveal the steel slot. The plastic card will want to go into the slot but what you want to do is push it down past the slot and then pry the rubber gunnel back to reveal the proper slot. There are other slots so don’t be fooled, you must find the one that has a steel frame around it. Don’t use the book as a guide to find them. Measure from the front of the car door window 9 1/4″ (23.5cm) and 36 1/4″ (92cm) and you’ll find the beginning of the slot. The slot is just wide enough to fit the bracket into. The other trick is to loosen the nut until the brackets brake loose and opens out AND then push them back down and tighten the nut just enough so it holds them in the groove of the brass nut. If you don’t do this the brackets will be too wide for the slot and it won’t go in all the way. Do this step before you try to put it on the roof. As you tighten the nut down the brackets expand and keep it snug in the slot–its all based on tension to keep it in place. Therefore, its much easier if you use two people. Put one side in the slot and then for the other side pull the bar toward you and there should be just enough give to get it in the slot. Make sure you are careful as you can scratch the paint on the roof. Do not begin to tighten the nuts until both are in the slots all the way. Only then should you tighten the nuts. Tighten one side only a few turns of the wrench and alternate between the left and right side of the rack until both are tightened. You’ll know if you have the brackets in the slot correctly because the rubber pieces touch the roof and the rack doesn’t wiggle when you push on it. My front rack was much more difficult to get in the slot correctly so you might want to start with the back one first.
http://www.motoringfile.com/2007/03/...roof-rack-pdf/
He states that you do not need to cut out the slot in the rain guard. Any truth to this? Pros and Cons?

Old 03-17-2009, 06:54 AM
schatzy62
OVERDRIVE
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Although the coop and cluman use slightly different racks (widths are different) the concept of installation is exactly the same.

Check this thread for a better installation instructions than what comes with the kit.

https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...-roofrack.html

I can get mine on and off the car in less than 5 minutes. It is actually very easy to do once you really understand the concept.

EDIT: you do need to take ou the little cutouts but they will be filled with a piece that comes with the kit when the rack is taken off.

Old 10-07-2009, 06:29 PM
GradyCooper
Neutral
I have the factory racks on my MCS. They are fine but if I had to do it again, I would opt for Thule or Yakama aftermarket racks, Thule manufactures the racks for MINI and the Thule fairing has an attachment that will let you attach to the factory racks. They look good but as a base rack system I would rather have purchased racks that would give me more options instead of only what MINI supplies.

Old 10-07-2009, 06:33 PM
Porthos
OVERDRIVE
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
I have the factory racks and there is removable plastic pieces where they grip into the roof. Keep them. Even though it is a PITA to put on and take off you definitely want to have that option. Also they come with instructions and all the tools you need. Keep that stuff too don't lose it.

Old 10-08-2009, 06:03 AM
schatzy62
OVERDRIVE
Originally Posted by GradyCooper
I have the factory racks on my MCS. They are fine but if I had to do it again, I would opt for Thule or Yakama aftermarket racks, Thule manufactures the racks for MINI and the Thule fairing has an attachment that will let you attach to the factory racks. They look good but as a base rack system I would rather have purchased racks that would give me more options instead of only what MINI supplies.
Any thing that Yakima or Thule sells can be adapted to the MINI OEM rack with just a few extra pieces from Thule or Yakima. Both make a cross bar very similar to the MINI OEM cross bars and anything they sell will fit all their cross bars (although a fit kit may be needed) so they will all fit the MINI OEM as well.

And by the way I have test fitted the Thule and it DOES NOT fit the car well and is actually harder to install than the OEM rack. It is also very loose and IMHO it may very well fall off the car at highway speeds. I would not trust it.

Old 10-08-2009, 10:52 AM
brabuse430
1st Gear
im running the oem rack w/ the thule fairing and thule bike attachment. only extra item i needed was the XADAPT9 to make the bike attachment fit the oem bars. Fork mount > Wheel mount any day. At least in the looks dept.

Old 10-08-2009, 06:36 PM
lunchbox
1st Gear
I just put on a stock roof rack with Thule fork mount carrier and fairing on my '07 S.

Rack was tricky until I took a step back and realized how simple it really was. It was a snap after that.

Fork mount carrier needs to be trimmed in the back (hacksaw works fine as the trim will cover the cut). The adapter sucks and ends up having play in the way the rear mounts. I'm going to drill a hole through the bike tray and bolt it direct to the rack with one of the Thule *****. Someone else posted a pic of it in a thread I found in a search. Looks like a much better solution.

A 710XT was the recommended fairing, but the aerobar mounting brackets were smaller than the stock rack's bars. I ended up cutting them off and using metal strips to attach the fairing to the load bar. Works fine.

After the issues were sorted, I was very happy with the setup. Still am.

Old 10-08-2009, 11:24 PM
brabuse430
1st Gear
Originally Posted by lunchbox
I just put on a stock roof rack with Thule fork mount carrier and fairing on my '07 S.

Rack was tricky until I took a step back and realized how simple it really was. It was a snap after that.

Fork mount carrier needs to be trimmed in the back (hacksaw works fine as the trim will cover the cut). The adapter sucks and ends up having play in the way the rear mounts. I'm going to drill a hole through the bike tray and bolt it direct to the rack with one of the Thule *****. Someone else posted a pic of it in a thread I found in a search. Looks like a much better solution.

A 710XT was the recommended fairing, but the aerobar mounting brackets were smaller than the stock rack's bars. I ended up cutting them off and using metal strips to attach the fairing to the load bar. Works fine.

After the issues were sorted, I was very happy with the setup. Still am.
you can muscle the fairing clips to fit the stock bar, works for me.

Old 12-03-2009, 08:05 PM
Carve906
5th Gear
Bit of an old post here, but does Yakima offer an adaptor so I can mount my kayak 'hullriser' setup to my newly purchased OEM rack bars?? The standard ones don't fit over the massive 6" 'oval' shaped oem bars. Thanks!

Old 12-04-2009, 11:37 AM
schatzy62
OVERDRIVE
Originally Posted by Carve906
Bit of an old post here, but does Yakima offer an adaptor so I can mount my kayak 'hullriser' setup to my newly purchased OEM rack bars?? The standard ones don't fit over the massive 6" 'oval' shaped oem bars. Thanks!
I am not sure about the HullRiser to be exact but Yakima make a bunch of adapters to adapt their products to their "OEM/Aero Bars" that would be the kit needed.

Best thing to do is call Yakima Customer Service and ask them for the kit number as i can not find it on their web site (their web site can be hard to use to find some obscure items).

Tell them you are using Thule "Aero Bars" they are the same dimensions as the OEM MINI bars.

You can all them at:

888-925-4621, Option 2, from 7am-5pm Pacific Time M-F.

Old 12-06-2009, 08:14 PM
Carve906
5th Gear
Thanks, I'll give it a try tomorrow

Old 04-09-2011, 08:21 PM
cbordian
Neutral
Another OEM rack tip

When you loosen the brass nut that tightens the winged tabs that fit into the roof slot, don't back it out more than until the bolt threads are about flush with the nut flange...IOW don't apply a lot of force when loosening. The key for me that I missed the first time is to really get the winged flanges as far into the slot as possible before squeezing the wings together (using the tool thing, or not) and tightening the brass nut. If you don't get them pushed in before trying to the the nut to engage then the bracket won't be seated in the gutter and will protrude over the gutter.

Old 03-30-2013, 12:45 PM
fupac133
3rd Gear
I have the OEM roof rack and I am about to get a kayak. I saw thule has a hullavator and I was wondering if this will work with the OEM roof rack.

Old 10-24-2013, 12:43 PM
jskeith111
2nd Gear
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
old thread but is there any way to retro fit a fairing on an r53 with the mini oem rack with bike attachments. Here's a pic.

Old 11-01-2013, 03:40 PM
TNMiniMama
6th Gear
Hi JSKeith111 - I don't know the specs on the r53 oem rack, but my 2009 clubbie oem rack is very similar to the Thule Aero racks. I have been using a Thule fairing, which may work for you, as the "arms" that attach to the cross bars are flexible. I can arrange mine around my Thule cargo box.

That said...What I'm finding with my fairing is that the "arms" aren't necessarily long enough- and what I mean by that is when my sunroof is open, the windscreen pops up and raises the fairing up slightly, allowing wind to get in under it- this creates a good deal of noise.

I actually found your post as I'm trying to find a way to fix this problem and was wondering if any of the inventive minds here at NAM had any ideas!

Good luck! Oh- and I got mine at REI- the folks there are really good about helping out, and may allow you to "try it on" for size before buying (worst case, you can always buy and return it if it doesn't work).

Old 11-01-2013, 03:48 PM
jskeith111
2nd Gear
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by TNMiniMama
Hi JSKeith111 - I don't know the specs on the r53 oem rack, but my 2009 clubbie oem rack is very similar to the Thule Aero racks. I have been using a Thule fairing, which may work for you, as the "arms" that attach to the cross bars are flexible. I can arrange mine around my Thule cargo box. That said...What I'm finding with my fairing is that the "arms" aren't necessarily long enough- and what I mean by that is when my sunroof is open, the windscreen pops up and raises the fairing up slightly, allowing wind to get in under it- this creates a good deal of noise. I actually found your post as I'm trying to find a way to fix this problem and was wondering if any of the inventive minds here at NAM had any ideas! Good luck! Oh- and I got mine at REI- the folks there are really good about helping out, and may allow you to "try it on" for size before buying (worst case, you can always buy and return it if it doesn't work).
Thanks for the info! I'll continue my search

Old 11-05-2013, 06:54 AM
madmaxxed
6th Gear
This is what I did for the Thule fairing. I cut the standard mount halfway down and extended them with 4" brackets that I found at my local hardware store.

Attached Thumbnails OEM roof rack installation & fairing-fairing.jpg