H Stock Daily Driver/H-Street Build II

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2013, 08:57 AM
kyoo
6th Gear
Received 71 Likes on 53 Posts
Daily Driver/H-Street Build II

Check out my blog for updates!

Ordered on 9/27/2013, and picked up from the dealer on 10/28/2013. Spec'ed for daily driving and autocross duties (and potentially some PDX). This car will be fully prepped car for the new SCCA H-Street class for 2014! Have a lot to learn and a long way to go, but I'm aiming high for my local events and potentially nationals. I'll post any updates, work, and how to's here as well.

Specs/Mods:
- Midnight Black
- White Roof, side mirrors, stripes
- Manual
- Sport Seats + Cloth
- Seat Heaters
- Xenon Lights & White Turn Signals
- Front and rear fogs
- JCW CF Dash
- Base suspension
- 15" Holies + All seasons
- DTC/EDLC
- Rubber Floor Mats
- Craven Dipstick
- JCW Strut Tower Brace
- XPEL Ultimate Clear Bra
- Llumar Window Tinting
- JCW Springs F&R
- JCW FSB
- Bilstein Sport Struts
- HSport Competition RSB
- Enkei RPF1's - 16x7 ET43
- 205/50-16 Dunlop Z2s
- Schroth Quick Fit Harness
- Fuelly

Journal:
- 10/30/2013 - First "Mod"
- 11/1/2013 - Clear Bra
- 11/6/2013 - Is this a "splitter?"
- 11/6/2013 - Random Pics
- 11/10/2013 - Under the Car Pics
- 11/11/2013 - JCW Strut Tower Brace Install
- 11/23/2013 - First Oil Change
- 11/23/2013 - Rust Prevention Stuff
- 12/04/2013 - Stored for the winter

Pics:

Name:  mini1_zpse2edab9e.jpg
Views: 499
Size:  165.3 KB

Name:  mini14_zps11f3bd9e.jpg
Views: 431
Size:  131.8 KB

Name:  mini9_zps5ba92b32.jpg
Views: 371
Size:  135.7 KB

Name:  mini7_zpsc59c769e.jpg
Views: 372
Size:  193.4 KB

Name:  mini8_zps5a8a2a70.jpg
Views: 373
Size:  209.8 KB

Name:  mini12_zps7da9ecdc.jpg
Views: 453
Size:  109.0 KB

Name:  IMG_3531__zps1252e74f.jpg
Views: 389
Size:  126.4 KB

Last edited by kyoo; 04-26-2018 at 07:11 AM.
The following users liked this post:
930 Engineering (12-09-2020)
Old 10-30-2013, 09:07 AM
kyoo
6th Gear
An explanation on parts/specs/options (more for myself as log for the future):

- Black was the color my girlfriend and I agreed was the best option for a new '13 MINI (Laser Blue would have been a tough choice were it available, and we've loved Electric Blue for forever, but not available since R56).
- White stripes were negligible weight, looks 10x better for the black cars, same for the white colored roof
- 6 speed manual for autox
- Sport seats with cloth - for weight saving purposes. Didn't want to dish the cash on the optional recaros, which wouldn't work with the Schroth harness anyway
- Seat heaters - every time we use these we are so grateful we got them. I believe the added weight is pretty negligible
- Xenon Lights & White Turn Signals - bi-xenon HIDs are a MUST have for night driving, and the white turn signals were a forced option with them, though it matches the black and white color scheme well enough that I probably would have gotten them anyway.
- Front and rear fogs - added visibility, added switches (more like wanting no missing switches, aside from the one from the sunroof)
- JCW CF Dash - purely cosmetic, looked better than the silver that comes stock. Actually I wanted the piano black for the panels on the door as well, but it was too late to switch options.
- Base suspension - since i know every part is gonna be swapped out anyway: springs > jcw springs, fsb > jcw fsb, dampers > bilsteins, and rsb to hsport rsb.
- 15" 7-hole wheels - lightest and narrowest option, good for daily driving tasks. 16x7 enkei rpf1s will be used for HS autox duties
- Rubber Floor Mats - had these on the old MINI and loved them
- DTC/EDLC - This was the biggest question. Theoretically, the torque vectoring created by braking the inner wheel should be a boon, even if the base MINI can barely spin the wheels. Should result in a little better tire wear as well. Biggest concern was the strain on the brakes, but given the low torque production, this shouldn't be a problem, especially with some DOT4 fluid (staying with stock brake pads for autox by advice from others).

A marked improvement over the 08 mini i had before that came with a sunroof though. Very happy with the options, not really concerned about the extra few pounds that they total up to be.. the weight of the gas in the car when i get to an event has a higher deviation than the total amount of weight from those creature comforts. Haven't gotten a chance to autox the car with the EDLC yet, but hope to soon.

Last edited by kyoo; 01-18-2014 at 10:19 PM.
Old 10-30-2013, 05:04 PM
Eddie07S
OVERDRIVE
Received 1,135 Likes on 890 Posts
Nice ride. And a good option and mod list. Glad to see the JCW FSB. That should be a good match to the RSB that you have planned. You should find the car nicely balanced and with the shocks you should be able to dial in the rotation you want.

I believe the strut bar is a dealer option. That is what I was told. However, the MINI is a pretty stiff car. If you search, you will find that most people believe it really doesn't do any thing that is noticeable handling wise. However, I have it and I think it cuts down on "shakes" over bumps (Northeast potholes, that is). But I don't think it does anything for autoX. So I would not worry about not having it.

The only other thing I would suggest is a Schroth Quick Fit Harness. That is probably worth 2 sec on any course.

Good luck with your build.

Last edited by Eddie07S; 10-30-2013 at 05:06 PM. Reason: typo
Old 10-30-2013, 06:28 PM
kyoo
6th Gear
thanks! very excited to get the car prepped. I've talked to the dealer a number of times about the strut tower brace and it is port installable, I'm just trying to work on the documentation. I'm under no illusion that it will do anything for the car handing wise, in just wanting a little more support for the strut towers.

as far as the shocks go, I'm actually also considering bilsteins as well. a suspension guru friend of mine believes, with revalving that they will actually ride and handle better than the konis. biggest thing konis have going for them obviously are the adjustability, but apparently you can't even adjust them in the rears anyway without actually pulling them off the car. anyway jury's still out on that one.

thanks also for the tip on the schroth harnesses. no joke I was literally looking at those this afternoon. will have to plop down for a set, cg locks aren't gonna cut it!

Old 10-30-2013, 07:14 PM
Eddie07S
OVERDRIVE
Have you looked at Charlie Thompson's build:
https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...kin-powah.html

His setup may be a good start for you. Also it is a fun read.

Even if it is not easy to adjust the rears, the front remain adjustable and that can also be used for some balance.

A word of caution about the rears, no matter what shocks you have in. The bottom bolt is self tapping. The more times you take it out and put it back in, the more the threads will wear out and eventually you will lose the bolt (more than likely at a bad time). Not saying don't change the shocks. Just saying to not monkey them too much. There are some fixes out there but best to not to have to.

Here is another site to look at with interesting info (although it may be info overload):
http://farnorthracing.com/autocross_secrets18.html
Main take away from this site is that he likes the Koni Yellows.

Old 10-30-2013, 08:09 PM
kyoo
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Eddie07S
Have you looked at Charlie Thompson's build:
https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...kin-powah.html

His setup may be a good start for you. Also it is a fun read.

Even if it is not easy to adjust the rears, the front remain adjustable and that can also be used for some balance.

A word of caution about the rears, no matter what shocks you have in. The bottom bolt is self tapping. The more times you take it out and put it back in, the more the threads will wear out and eventually you will lose the bolt (more than likely at a bad time). Not saying don't change the shocks. Just saying to not monkey them too much. There are some fixes out there but best to not to have to.

Here is another site to look at with interesting info (although it may be info overload):
http://farnorthracing.com/autocross_secrets18.html
Main take away from this site is that he likes the Koni Yellows.
Thanks, I've followed Charlie of course! This is my first year actually modifying the car (last season was an 08 Mini with sunroof and OEM sport suspension) so I may pay closer attention to set up stuff.

lol, the control arm thing is another thing I just learned about yesterday or today. As far as I understand it, the control arm and threads are aluminum, while the bolt going in is steel. The threads can only handle so much before they strip.

Thanks for the link. I've been on that site before, not for shocks, but definitely a wealth of information. Actually, it kind of pushed me further toward bilsteins, and eventually getting them revalved if not right away.

Old 10-30-2013, 09:00 PM
kyoo
6th Gear
BTW, Schroth Quick Fit or Quick Fit Pro? Is the only difference the camlock?

Quick Fit Pro

Quick Fit

http://www.schrothracing.com/tuning/quick-fit/qf-mini
http://www.schrothracing.com/tuning/...t-pro/qfp-mini

Old 10-30-2013, 09:17 PM
kyoo
6th Gear
10/30/2013 - First "Mod"

First mod! Cravenspeed Dipstick!

It's not in the car yet - the last 3 days after picking up the car have been non stop rain and t-storms, thankfully the car is under its car cover.

However:

Name:  IMG_3228_zpsd8483e1e.jpg
Views: 374
Size:  130.0 KB

I had no idea how "slinky" it was. I thought it'd be a little more like just a formable wire that would hold it's position, but it is really kind of a string-like slinky line. I'm a little surprised it works, but obviously it does, so looking forward to installing this part.

Also, a bonus: to make life a little easier, I picked up these:

Rhino Ramps
Name:  IMG_3226_zps703672d3.jpg
Views: 374
Size:  234.9 KB

RhinoGear 11912 RhinoRamps MAX Vehicle Ramps (Pair, 16, 000lb. GVW Capacity) : Amazon.com : Automotive RhinoGear 11912 RhinoRamps MAX Vehicle Ramps (Pair, 16, 000lb. GVW Capacity) : Amazon.com : Automotive

Honestly, it's a little incredible that they can do 16,000lbs. Especially seeing the underside:

Name:  IMG_3225_zpse59fe2f8.jpg
Views: 382
Size:  208.8 KB

Regardless, should be good enough for the MINI! Obviously I can't change tires using these, but should make basic maintenance that much simpler.

Old 10-31-2013, 06:24 AM
slowclimb
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Kyoo...congrats on the new ride...I am contemplating ordering a new one with everything I want too..however I am on the fence since I read the new specs on the next generation motor. Of course paper specs and real world use are different...but it looks good on paper.

My 2012 has the standard suspension, are you going through the dealer to get the JCW stuff? Or just sport...I know there has been some question on how much the JCW suspension helps with street tires.

Also interested to see if the strut bar is really legal as a port installed option.

Old 10-31-2013, 06:38 AM
kyoo
6th Gear
Originally Posted by slowclimb
Kyoo...congrats on the new ride...I am contemplating ordering a new one with everything I want too..however I am on the fence since I read the new specs on the next generation motor. Of course paper specs and real world use are different...but it looks good on paper.

My 2012 has the standard suspension, are you going through the dealer to get the JCW stuff? Or just sport...I know there has been some question on how much the JCW suspension helps with street tires.

Also interested to see if the strut bar is really legal as a port installed option.
As far as I'm aware, aren't they done building new R56s? Or at least the base Coopers, they're pretty close to totally done. Depends on what you're using it for, but I'd never, ever get a first gen car with brand new motor - ESPECIALLY a turbocharged one. I'd had my fair share of experience with turbo cars, it can be such a pain. I'm sure the new Cooper will be fast though, and I'm actually not convinced that it won't be in GS rather than HS next year.

I'm contacting vendors for the JCW stuff. All I need is the springs and front sway bar, should be a pretty easy find. According to most people, it is a "must."

Still waiting to hear from someone at MINI USA about the strut tower brace. I know it IS a port-installable option, but getting the documentation seems to be a tremendous hassle. Obviously I've got the e-mail record from my dealer confirming that it is, but apparently I need something directly from MINI USA. Working on it... I just want it for a little more peace of mind for strut tower protection - my last used 08 Mini had defenders, because apparently one of the strut towers did dome after a really hard pothole hit.

Old 10-31-2013, 07:06 AM
Battle Monkey
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Can't wait to grudge match with this thing next year!

Old 10-31-2013, 07:47 AM
Mini2na
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
If you are interested in modified Bilstein's, give Shake a call at Fat Cat Motorsports. He's done some work with MINI's, but mostly with Miata's.

I ended up with the Yellow's because of cost, but believe Shake's expertise would have led to a great handling car if I could have afforded it.

That being said, I have his bump stops and love their progressive nature, as opposed to the more solid nature of the OEMs. (The MINI basically runs on the bumpstops while cornering.) You can also use packer/spacers on the front shocks to change the effective bumpstop length to tune. I got the spacers from KONI, but have not yet tried to tune with them. (Still trying tuning with the adjustment ****.)

Old 10-31-2013, 07:51 AM
Mini2na
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I was told by my dealer (PDX MINI) that today 10/31 is the last order day for a Justa... if your dealer has any open build slots.

The builds are limited to Chili Red w/White top.

Old 10-31-2013, 08:04 AM
kyoo
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Mini2na
If you are interested in modified Bilstein's, give Shake a call at Fat Cat Motorsports. He's done some work with MINI's, but mostly with Miata's.

I ended up with the Yellow's because of cost, but believe Shake's expertise would have led to a great handling car if I could have afforded it.

That being said, I have his bump stops and love their progressive nature, as opposed to the more solid nature of the OEMs. (The MINI basically runs on the bumpstops while cornering.) You can also use packer/spacers on the front shocks to change the effective bumpstop length to tune. I got the spacers from KONI, but have not yet tried to tune with them. (Still trying tuning with the adjustment ****.)
Thanks for the info, good to know. I will definitely look into them. Looks like swapping bumpstops are legal in stock class as far as I can tell fromt he rules, so I will have to add that to the list.

Originally Posted by Mini2na
I was told by my dealer (PDX MINI) that today 10/31 is the last order day for a Justa... if your dealer has any open build slots.

The builds are limited to Chili Red w/White top.
Glad I got in my order then! Wanted it in black.

Old 10-31-2013, 09:06 AM
kyoo
6th Gear
Originally Posted by kyoo
BTW, Schroth Quick Fit or Quick Fit Pro? Is the only difference the camlock?

Quick Fit Pro

Quick Fit

http://www.schrothracing.com/tuning/quick-fit/qf-mini
http://www.schrothracing.com/tuning/...t-pro/qfp-mini
Does anyone know, what exactly it is, in the design that allows us to tighten these without slicing off our necks? Obviously i know it won't do this, but what about it is it that it wont? I personally don't see/get it. This is only an issue in our cars/seats where it slots through between the headrest poles.

It's not an issue for, for example, the Evo seats where there are separate slots for harnesses, but what about for the MINI?

Old 10-31-2013, 03:56 PM
Eddie07S
OVERDRIVE
The Pro version of the Quick Fit is so you can use the harness with a Hanns head brace. The difference is how the shoulder straps are designed to fit the Hanns piece. That is more for a track car where a high speed accident can be an issue. Otherwise the harnesses are the same. For autoX you are more looking at staying planted in the seat. I would just get the regular quick fit. That is what I have. They are great for street or track.

In a MINI the shoulder straps go over the top of the seat back and through the space between the 2 metal posts of the head rest. Very easy and quick. You will also need to turn the head rest around so your helmet will fit. FYI - you can't use the quick fit with the US version of the JCW Recaro seats as they don't have the pass-through slots like the seats you show.

Old 10-31-2013, 04:00 PM
Eddie07S
OVERDRIVE
If you don't have one already, you should also get the 3000# aluminum floor jack from Harbor Freight...that is the best for the money. They also have an all metal 12v tire pump that works really well.

Old 10-31-2013, 04:09 PM
kyoo
6th Gear
If you don't have one already, you should also get the 3000# aluminum floor jack from Harbor Freight...that is the best for the money. They also have an all metal 12v tire pump that works really well.
yeah i've been using the 2ton one - used to have a huge 100lb craftsman before that one, cant believe i lugged it around.

old car (not using stands lol):

Name:  MC6_zpsd9dcbb7b.jpg
Views: 422
Size:  193.2 KB

Old 10-31-2013, 04:52 PM
kyoo
6th Gear
The Pro version of the Quick Fit is so you can use the harness with a Hanns head brace. The difference is how the shoulder straps are designed to fit the Hanns piece. That is more for a track car where a high speed accident can be an issue. Otherwise the harnesses are the same. For autoX you are more looking at staying planted in the seat. I would just get the regular quick fit. That is what I have. They are great for street or track.

In a MINI the shoulder straps go over the top of the seat back and through the space between the 2 metal posts of the head rest. Very easy and quick. You will also need to turn the head rest around so your helmet will fit. FYI - you can't use the quick fit with the US version of the JCW Recaro seats as they don't have the pass-through slots like the seats you show.
do you have a pic of the set up btw?

Old 10-31-2013, 07:07 PM
Eddie07S
OVERDRIVE
The instructions show it pretty well. The second to the last page has a good shot. It also shows the Hans device:
http://www.hmsmotorsport.com/docs/Mi...structions.pdf

Old 10-31-2013, 08:21 PM
WayMotorWorks
Vendor
Received 755 Likes on 617 Posts
FYI it is silly but using that dipstick at a national event can get you protested sine it is not stock. It's stupid but I've seen protest for stupid things at nationals before.
We have the schroth quick fits in stock
http://www.waymotorworks.com/schroth...5-r56-r57.html

JCW springs and sway bars are no problem.

HOTCHKIS | DDM | CRAVEN | AKRAPOVIC | NM ENGINEERING | MEGAN | FORGE | IE | OS GIKEN | POWERFLEX and more
Old 10-31-2013, 08:48 PM
kyoo
6th Gear
Originally Posted by WayMotorWorks
FYI it is silly but using that dipstick at a national event can get you protested sine it is not stock. It's stupid but I've seen protest for stupid things at nationals before.
We have the schroth quick fits in stock
http://www.waymotorworks.com/schroth...5-r56-r57.html

JCW springs and sway bars are no problem.
very weird. I would have thought it would have fallen under their provision for non performance enhancing cosmetic modifications.. either way, if the case ever comes up, i can just bring the stock dipstick. annoying that there isn't just a plain old simple metal strip solution like for other cars. heard the craven handle gets very hot, and that you'll have to coat it a few times

Old 11-01-2013, 08:19 AM
kyoo
6th Gear
quick update on the strut tower brace thing:

I checked with the MINI dealership, and they don't have documentation from MINI USA that the STB is port-installable, so I guess they just call the port or whatever when you order the car and ask them to install it.

I called ASK MINI, and they said they don't have a documentation for it either, mainly because even though it's port installed, it's sold through the dealer apparently. I don't know that documentation from the dealer would suffice in a protest situation - even if it's the truth. Pretty disappointed with how disjointed things are in MINI.

All of this makes me wonder: how did the person who got documentation for the JCW suspension being legal in stock class get it? This literally falls under the same category

Last edited by kyoo; 11-01-2013 at 08:25 AM.
Old 11-01-2013, 08:42 AM
kyoo
6th Gear
Any thoughts out there on running a 225/45 vs a 205/50 on a 16x7 wheel for street tires?

There's actually a lot of documentation out there (GRM) basically supporting running narrower tires if they fit better on a wheel vs stuffing more tire on, esp for a street tire. Basically, sidewall support for a street tire may be more important than maximizing how much tire you can pinch onto a wheel.

Don't know how it applies in this particular situation though. I run 195's on 5.5" wheels right now, and I have 235's on an 8" wheel for a different car. 63.5mm spread in wheel width, but only 40mm difference in tire.

Old 11-01-2013, 01:53 PM
kyoo
6th Gear
Just received signed .pdf documentation from MINI of St. Louis on official MINI letterhead stating:

"The John Cooper Works strut brace, part number 51710415674, is available as a port installed option for all MINI Cooper Hardtops."

I have to imagine this is gonna be good enough, even if it's not from "MINI USA" - I talked to a few people through ask mini, and MINI USA doesn't sell these parts, the dealers do, so they don't actually make the call or have any influence on whether an item is port installed, let alone documentation - the dealer makes the calls on what items can be port installed or not. If this isn't good enough, and someone's actually gonna protest it (which I doubt) they can go ahead and try. It is a port installed part, and I've finally got the documentation to show it! Whoo hoo!

Quick Reply: H Stock Daily Driver/H-Street Build II