General MINI Talk Shared experiences, motoring minutes, and other general MINI-related discussion that applies to all MINIs, regardless of model, year or trim.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How to remove pcv tube on n18

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2016, 03:16 AM
minigen
4th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
How to remove pcv tube on n18

Hi guys, I'm having trouble removing the pcv tube on the right side of the engine, it's the tube that connects to the intake tube. I have no problem on the intake side, but the end to the engine has a plastic lock on it which I have no idea how to remove. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

How to remove this locking clip?

Last edited by minigen; 09-28-2016 at 05:44 PM.
Old 09-26-2016, 11:25 AM
minigen
4th Gear
anyone help please??

Old 09-27-2016, 09:40 PM
squawSkiBum
Received 302 Likes on 223 Posts
if i recall correctly - you have to squeeze and rotate it. It is a real PITA.

Old 09-28-2016, 01:50 PM
minigen
4th Gear
Finally, thanks for the reply. So you meant squeeze the lock and rotate it? or squeeze the lock and rotate the tube? The design of the connection is very confusing. Thanks for the help.

Originally Posted by squawSkiBum
if i recall correctly - you have to squeeze and rotate it. It is a real PITA.

Old 09-28-2016, 02:17 PM
ECSTuning
Platinum Sponsor
Received 2,004 Likes on 1,800 Posts
There is a clip there also which you have to squeeze and pull at the same time. Wiggle it out.

https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...placement.html

MINI Guru/ MINI Owner Since 2004 | NEW Lifetime Part Replacement | Local Pickup
Milltek | Genuine MINI | Forge Motorsport | NM Engineering | ECS Performance | M7 Speed
Customer Service Hours: 8am-8pm EST|Sales Team Hours: 8am-11pm | SAT 10am-7pm 800.924.5172
Old 09-28-2016, 05:21 PM
squawSkiBum
The clip - Squeeze it, rotate it, pull it, stand on one foot, hold your mouth just right. It is not obvious and not easy. Be patient and gentle.

The following users liked this post:
aabcds (07-23-2020)
Old 09-28-2016, 05:50 PM
minigen
4th Gear
Hello Ecstuning, thanks for jumping in. I think the clip that you mention is not the problem for me. It's the removable locking clip on top of it, I just steal you picture and uploaded it to my original post. That 's the one I'm having trouble figuring out how to remove before i can get to the clip that you mentioned. Would you mind let me know how to do that please? Thanks.

BTW: I was looking at your JCW spoiler when it was on sale the week before I think it was like 688 something. and I was going to get it. But then I got busy for a few days and came back seeing it returned to original price. Wondering when will be the next big sale day.

Originally Posted by ECSTuning
There is a clip there also which you have to squeeze and pull at the same time. Wiggle it out.

Old 09-28-2016, 05:52 PM
minigen
4th Gear
Thanks again for helping out. I just uploaded a picture of the locking clip which I should have done it at the begining. I just want to make sure we are talking about the same thing. So is "the clip" that you referring the same thing as my uploaded picture?

Originally Posted by squawSkiBum
The clip - Squeeze it, rotate it, pull it, stand on one foot, hold your mouth just right. It is not obvious and not easy. Be patient and gentle.

Old 09-28-2016, 09:05 PM
squawSkiBum
yup

Old 10-03-2016, 10:20 AM
ECSTuning
Platinum Sponsor
Originally Posted by minigen
Hello Ecstuning, thanks for jumping in. I think the clip that you mention is not the problem for me. It's the removable locking clip on top of it, I just steal you picture and uploaded it to my original post. That 's the one I'm having trouble figuring out how to remove before i can get to the clip that you mentioned. Would you mind let me know how to do that please? Thanks.

BTW: I was looking at your JCW spoiler when it was on sale the week before I think it was like 688 something. and I was going to get it. But then I got busy for a few days and came back seeing it returned to original price. Wondering when will be the next big sale day.
Its might have sold on a limited quaintly sale. If you see those, you have to jump on it.

Did you figure out the clip, we have pics of the clip itself so you know what it looks like off the MINI?

Milltek | Genuine MINI | Forge Motorsport | NM Engineering | ECS Performance | M7 Speed
Customer Service Hours: 8am-8pm EST|Sales Team Hours: 8am-11pm | SAT 10am-7pm 800.924.5172
Old 10-03-2016, 01:14 PM
minigen
4th Gear
Hi, I see, next time I will do so. thanks for the heads up.

As for the clip, nope, still having trouble figuring out. I have seen the locking bow on your site, what's the official name of it i guess. but I'm just too dumb to figure out. I tried to turn the locking bow, it couldn't. And I tried to turn the pvc pipe to try to turn the inner clip so I can squeeze it, but only the pipe turns, the inner clip doesn't. Not sure what I did wrong. :(

Originally Posted by ECSTuning
Its might have sold on a limited quaintly sale. If you see those, you have to jump on it.

Did you figure out the clip, we have pics of the clip itself so you know what it looks like off the MINI?

Old 06-28-2021, 11:40 AM
y8s
4th Gear
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
I know this is almost 5 years old, but seems otherwise un-answered.

The locking bow (the clip on the outside of the squeezeable clip) is not intended to be removed without breaking it.

It's a $10 part. If you can figure out how to remove it without breaking it, by all means share!

fixthedoor (07-10-2022)
Old 07-10-2022, 12:50 PM
fixthedoor
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Anyone know if this clip is an absolute must? Any alternatives? I broke mine when I replaced the valve cover gasket and orange PVC flap. Now, I have an occasional oil leak on top of the valve cover, where the tubing is.

Old 07-11-2022, 09:34 AM
ECSTuning
Platinum Sponsor
Its a holder and you dont want a leak. Like the one on the n14 version its a holder.

https://www.ecstuning.com/Search/Sit...h/11127589618/

fixthedoor (07-11-2022)
Old 07-11-2022, 10:12 AM
fixthedoor
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ugh, I ordered one through another site and they don't make it easy to cancel. Finding one doing a google search was a PITA. Thanks for the link, I'll remember for next time as I suspect I'll need another.

Old 07-11-2022, 10:48 AM
ECSTuning
Platinum Sponsor
Yep i am here most of the time and can find many parts, just PM me or post here and call me out and i can help. that way others can find the part or seeing it linked.

Yes google does not always find it.

Old 05-23-2024, 01:53 PM
JeffInDFW
2nd Gear
I SOLVED IT
I SOLVED IT
I SOLVED IT
I SOLVED IT

After HOURS of fighting this, I gave up, came inside and found this thread. It at least explained how this ridiculous clip worked! I went outside and figured out how to do it without breaking the "Locking Bow".

Remove the hose from the intake tube (the other end from where you are fighting with this clip) FIRST. You will need to twist the entire hose in a second. Pull UP on the silver wire looking thing to remove the first thing.
Now, to the end that nobody on Earth can figure out:
Get a set of needle nose plyers. Pull the left side arm of the locking clip away from the connector enough to shove ONE of the jaws of the needle nose plyers down in there between the "Locking Bow" arm and the actual clip you are supposed to squeeze and turn. Now, do the same on the other side. SQUEEZE the needle nose plyers while you grab the rubber hose and start twisting the rubber hose. BANG, it will come off.

Now, will someone find out who the sadistic jerk is that designed this?

It is stuff like this that makes me swear I will never own another BMW product. There is absolutely no reason for this design to be this complex. Any standard clamp would have worked. Every part for our MINIs over the last 13 years have come from ECS, so I'm a fan, but ECS.....If you know the "locking bow" has to be broken to remove it, why don't you add that as part of a "kit" to each valve cover sold? Now I'm sitting here needing to wait another week and having to place another order? Its cheap. Really not feeling this car right now. I had to replace the thermostat a few months ago, a 10 minute job on my Xterra, Viper, Camaro, every other car I own, but of course BMW has to come up with the most convoluted disaster of a setup for THEIR thermostat. Yeah.....not feeling this car right now....

Last edited by JeffInDFW; 05-23-2024 at 02:09 PM.
ECSTuning (05-24-2024)
Old 05-27-2024, 12:23 PM
Northern
2nd Gear
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
I cut this POS off. I don't understand why it's on there.

This same PCV connector has been used since at least the M52 in the mid '90s and I've never heard of a single problem for nearly 20 years, then they add some crap disposable locking clip that inhibits servicing? In the bin with that.