R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 turbocharger issue, serious?

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2012, 04:52 PM
thinkinmini
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
turbocharger issue, serious?

So recently under some heavy throttle, the tube from the turbo to the intake (is this the "intake tube", sorry i don't know the name) came off, and I thought a loose bandclamp was to blame. Turns out it was tight, but I loosened it, re-attached the tube, then tightened it back down anyway. A few days later, I noticed the tube was loose again, this time not completely disconnected from the turbo, but still not snug up to the end of the attachment point. I then noticed the intake was kind of squatting a little too much, and positioned it differently on it's mount, and it seems that it just might have been just sitting down to low, which pulled the tube right off the turbo regardless of how tight the clamp was. Has this happened to anyone else? Is the tube being blown off a sign of something serious? Thanks for the help, sorry if this is just me making a mountain out of a molehill.

Old 09-30-2012, 05:01 PM
Porthos
OVERDRIVE
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
Check the tube to make sure it is not cracked. Also make sure you are not over tightening and the you are not tightening it too close to the end of the tube or too far away.

Old 09-30-2012, 05:06 PM
thinkinmini
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yah the clamp's right in the groove that looks like it's supposed to be there. Now I did have it serviced not too long ago for an idling issue, is the clamp supposed to be a thinner one than the fatter one that holds the other tube onto the turbo (the outlet tube) directly in front of the intake tube? Is the correct torque of that clamp specified in the bentley manual? Just asking, because I do have that.

Old 10-01-2012, 07:04 AM
elsinorej
2nd Gear
Received 16 Likes on 3 Posts
Try cleaning the mounting surface of the turbo and the inside of the tube. Mine had some oil residue from the PCV that worked its way under the clamp area and made the tube slide off a few times, but I always caught it before it fell off completely. I could slide the tube on and off without loosening the clamp when it had oil on it. I cleaned it with some Mass air flow cleaner that I had laying around but I'm sure that any highly vaporous solvent like brake cleaner would work also. Spray some on a rag and wipe the surface clean. Mine hasn't came off since. DO NOT USE carburetor cleaner as it will destroy the rubber tube.
I hope this helps