General MINI Talk Shared experiences, motoring minutes, and other general MINI-related discussion that applies to all MINIs, regardless of model, year or trim.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What You Hate Most about Your Mini???

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2016, 09:09 AM
Mike Miller
2nd Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
It seems sad that one of the largest threads in the forum is on what is "hated the most about their MINI"!

I will say that much of this type of talk (here and elsewhere) nearly turned me off of buying my used 2011 Justa. Then, I realized that cars are cars - there is not a single vehicle out there that doesn't develop problems as they age and are used. I happen to be mechanically inclined and quite like working on, tinkering with, upgrading, etc. I am glad I didn't buy into the negative "hype" because I absolutely love my MINI. In fact, it is quite literally my most favorite car ever owned.

That being said, I guess maybe I am a little less picky or complain-y that most (I have been told this before in other aspects of my life so it may be).

The very few items on my "I wish" lists are outweighed by the fun of owning/driving a MINI so I will deal.

As for my list of only minor annoyances that I think about from time to time:

1.) I really miss a temp and oil pressure gauge. I want to notice a problem ahead of time before something pops off. Plus it is good for being able to troubleshoot. Alas, I bought used so unable to purchase the Chrono pack (if it was even available for this model/year, unsure). I do have a bluetooth ODBII tool and the Torque app that has these sensors. Haven't tested it at all yet with my MINI, but perhaps that will work which is good enough for me.

2.) The dealer is 2.5 hours from me and the only garage I trust to work on my MINI is about 45 minutes away, but no big deal. I live in the country anyway so everything is about 45 minutes away.

3.) The plastic valve cover really accentuates the clickity-clackity of the valves. After much research my fears of problems have been alleviated once I realized this is "normal" sounding for a MINI.

4.) The stock oil dipstick was pretty bad, but easily fixable - just installed my first "mod" the other day - the $75 for the Cravenspeed dipstick is fantastic!

5.) The lack of volume indicator is pretty annoying too.

Other than those minor things, I have no real complaints - yes I have some of the other issues others have mentioned, like not being able to see stoplights very well or water coming in the window, etc. etc. but none of that stuff bothers me...it is just a nuance with the MINI that I have already figured out how to work with. I don't even have any problems with the cupholders! I mainly use bottles (like water bottles, soda, etc.) and have not had any complaints.

Old 03-25-2016, 10:30 AM
reelsmith.
OVERDRIVE
Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by R53Minicoop
I hate how hard it is to keep the back hatch clean. Drives me nuts.
Agreed. Spend hours detailing, go for a short drive and at the least the hatch is covered with dust.

My only other gripe is having to hold the window up switch. Auto-up would be nice.

Dean.

Old 03-25-2016, 11:30 AM
Drumsound
3rd Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by reelsmith.
Agreed. Spend hours detailing, go for a short drive and at the least the hatch is covered with dust.

My only other gripe is having to hold the window up switch. Auto-up would be nice.

Dean.
Yeah, these are the main gripes.

Old 03-25-2016, 06:59 PM
Mini1011
2nd Gear
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
I hate my sunroof. Too much rattling. I also hate that it's not fast enough yet.

Old 03-25-2016, 11:13 PM
dongood
4th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I hate the missing toggle switch, a constant reminder that my Mini is missing something.

I hate . . . nothing else...

Old 03-26-2016, 06:50 AM
elvis cole
2nd Gear
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
What do I hate about my 75,000 mile Mini and my 180,000 mile MINI? Both are absolutely perfect. I wouldn't change a thing.

Old 03-26-2016, 07:13 AM
mvision7m
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The clutch on my 06' MCS sport. Difficult to be smooth on a consistent basis. Other than that? Can't think of anything else. Still nice and tight, responsive and plenty of fun.

Old 03-28-2016, 05:52 PM
goneFXcrazy
3rd Gear
What You Hate Most about Your Mini???

Originally Posted by Mike Miller
It seems sad that one of the largest threads in the forum is on what is "hated the most about their MINI"!

I will say that much of this type of talk (here and elsewhere) nearly turned me off of buying my used 2011 Justa. Then, I realized that cars are cars - there is not a single vehicle out there that doesn't develop problems as they age and are used. I happen to be mechanically inclined and quite like working on, tinkering with, upgrading, etc. I am glad I didn't buy into the negative "hype" because I absolutely love my MINI. In fact, it is quite literally my most favorite car ever owned.

That being said, I guess maybe I am a little less picky or complain-y that most (I have been told this before in other aspects of my life so it may be).

The very few items on my "I wish" lists are outweighed by the fun of owning/driving a MINI so I will deal.

As for my list of only minor annoyances that I think about from time to time:

1.) I really miss a temp and oil pressure gauge. I want to notice a problem ahead of time before something pops off. Plus it is good for being able to troubleshoot. Alas, I bought used so unable to purchase the Chrono pack (if it was even available for this model/year, unsure). I do have a bluetooth ODBII tool and the Torque app that has these sensors. Haven't tested it at all yet with my MINI, but perhaps that will work which is good enough for me.

2.) The dealer is 2.5 hours from me and the only garage I trust to work on my MINI is about 45 minutes away, but no big deal. I live in the country anyway so everything is about 45 minutes away.

3.) The plastic valve cover really accentuates the clickity-clackity of the valves. After much research my fears of problems have been alleviated once I realized this is "normal" sounding for a MINI.

4.) The stock oil dipstick was pretty bad, but easily fixable - just installed my first "mod" the other day - the $75 for the Cravenspeed dipstick is fantastic!

5.) The lack of volume indicator is pretty annoying too.

Other than those minor things, I have no real complaints - yes I have some of the other issues others have mentioned, like not being able to see stoplights very well or water coming in the window, etc. etc. but none of that stuff bothers me...it is just a nuance with the MINI that I have already figured out how to work with. I don't even have any problems with the cupholders! I mainly use bottles (like water bottles, soda, etc.) and have not had any complaints.
Yes, it is sad this thread is so long, but let me point out something you have NOT taken into account. Yes there is one long thread about the negative about the cars, but there is exactly ONE very large forum all dedicated to why we LOVE THEM!

1 thread vs 1 forum, I'll take those odds.

Old 03-30-2016, 01:53 PM
TorchMINI
4th Gear
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Great posting by Mike M and followup by Gone Crazy. I agree with all those ideas described.
As I read these again, I wonder why others don't have express windows both up and down. My 2008 does. Now my sunroof doesn't, must hold it. It has no rattles, however.

I may have posted this before, but my gripe is the trigger style door handles on the R5X models. I often use my key fob to open the windows by holding the unlock tab down until my windows lower and I can open the door from the inside lever. Mini has tried to fix them before without success. The car is hard to enter, but really sweet once inside.

Old 03-30-2016, 02:01 PM
DaGriz
3rd Gear
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
The the dash and gauge lighting. Almost impossible to see in daylight. The gear selector indicator being in the closk rather than the tach.

Old 03-31-2016, 07:45 PM
Mini1011
2nd Gear
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
On my r53 I hate the windshield defrost has to be on full blast and I hate having to hold the button in till the light stops blinking to turn the defrost down.

Old 04-14-2016, 06:14 PM
Mistiplix
Neutral
Bad weather bummer

I hate that in rainy or snowy conditions road spray from other vehicles can totally blind you. During our last storm I got nailed by everything on the road from semis to a freaking cmax for 80 miles of misery. I was just shocked by how the low windshield position made me feel so repeatedly dumped on.

Old 04-14-2016, 06:34 PM
gokumaryu
Neutral
New member here. I love my gently used Mini but i sincerely don't like the speedometer as the center console.

Attached Thumbnails What You Hate Most about Your Mini???-maxresdefault.jpg  
Old 04-14-2016, 06:35 PM
-=gRaY rAvEn=-
Received 64 Likes on 54 Posts
What do I hate the most about my MINI ?

Makes everything else I drive a mediocre trip at best.....

Old 04-15-2016, 09:22 AM
Drumsound
3rd Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by gokumaryu
New member here. I love my gently used Mini but i sincerely don't like the speedometer as the center console.
I barely look at the analog spedo. the position is akward, I agree.

Old 04-18-2016, 10:13 PM
gr8ful
4th Gear
The center speedo was put their for the rally racers. The navigator used it for check points. Now it is nostalgia. I like when people see it and are amazed.
My $0.02 worth.
2011 R57 and No hates. Ditched the Runflats right after purchasing the Mini. Do wish for an oil temp indicator so I can know when the engine is at normal operating temp. Then it's WOT.

Old 04-19-2016, 07:59 AM
mashby
3rd Gear
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Hate is a strong word, but I don't like how the two main doors on my Clubman won't stay open. It feels like I have to fight my way out of the car because they keep wanting to shut.

There might be an easy fix for this. If anyone knows of one, please let me know!

Old 04-19-2016, 11:47 AM
Slave to Felines
6th Gear
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by gr8ful
The center speedo was put their for the rally racers. ... Now it is nostalgia.
Actually, a lot of the old LBC (Little British Cars) and early cars in general had the speedo in the middle of the dash. I don't think they were purely for rallying, but it's possible. It may have just been that it was an easy place to put things, without the steering column and such getting in the way.

It's definitely there in our cars because of nostalgia, though!

Old 04-19-2016, 12:49 PM
Loyal242
3rd Gear
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by mashby
Hate is a strong word, but I don't like how the two main doors on my Clubman won't stay open. It feels like I have to fight my way out of the car because they keep wanting to shut.

There might be an easy fix for this. If anyone knows of one, please let me know!
Replace the door brakes. They get worn out over time.
I've replaced Jasper's driver door brake and may eventually replace the passenger one, too.
If I recall, it took about 1/2 hour to replace one.

Thread related: I don't like how my windshield seems to be a magnet for rocks. I don't even follow other vehicles very closely, but it doesn't matter. My windscreen has a LOT of chips.

Old 04-19-2016, 01:01 PM
mashby
3rd Gear
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by Loyal242
Replace the door brakes. They get worn out over time.
I've replaced Jasper's driver door brake and may eventually replace the passenger one, too.
If I recall, it took about 1/2 hour to replace one.

Thread related: I don't like how my windshield seems to be a magnet for rocks. I don't even follow other vehicles very closely, but it doesn't matter. My windscreen has a LOT of chips.

Looks like ECS Tuning has them, so I'll have to give that a shot. Thank you Loyal 242!

Old 04-19-2016, 01:09 PM
Loyal242
3rd Gear
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by mashby
Looks like ECS Tuning has them, so I'll have to give that a shot. Thank you Loyal 242!
You're welcome!

If I recall, you'll need a Torx bit for the job. The hardest part is fishing the new door brake through the hole in the door. But it is doable.

Good luck!

Old 05-05-2016, 08:34 PM
MiniKar
5th Gear
Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts
What I hate the most is always feeling like something is going to break.

This is why I don't like reading " Stock Problems " here on NAM.

However I do check that forum every now and then to know what I need to replace before it breaks !

My 06 Mini S is a car that makes me smile, most of the time !

Old 05-05-2016, 08:37 PM
HugeCow Inc
1st Gear
I hate that stupid gas gauge, function following style.....

Old 05-05-2016, 08:59 PM
Mike Miller
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by gokumaryu
While I rarely ever use it, I happen to love it. Its different and I like things that are unique. In fact, I really dislike the newer digital faces in newer models. I would be bummed if it weren't there!

Old 05-05-2016, 11:56 PM
mister.t
2nd Gear
The thing I hate most about my MINI is that I rarely seem to get to drive it these days

Quick Reply: What You Hate Most about Your Mini???