General MINI Talk Shared experiences, motoring minutes, and other general MINI-related discussion that applies to all MINIs, regardless of model, year or trim.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What You Hate Most about Your Mini???

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2016, 01:58 AM
Ishihara
2nd Gear
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
I'm just past 2 and a half years of ownership, and driving this car still brings a smile to my face every day. This includes having to rebuild the engine after enjoying the death rattle @47K miles. Still, the one thing that really gets me sometime about my car is that the fit/finish isn't great for a car that costs what this one does. I have moderate issues with rattling from the cabin and a sunroof that has... some leaking issues during super heavy rains. Overall, though... I'm still in love.

Old 05-10-2016, 11:03 AM
randylon
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Electrical system

Almost impossible to track down problems in electrical system without taking to a dealer & paying out the ying-ying. Sunroof leaked & Factory Nav screen went blank. Nav screen & computer (under pass seat) both bench test OK, but won't work in car. All fuses/relays good...Any suggestions?

Old 05-11-2016, 08:11 AM
Snaps
4th Gear
Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
This year will mark ten years of ownership, and yet the only real big bag is the rattles. I can deal with almost everything else, but the rattles get to me. Also, my exhaust tips sit high so it's touching the rear valance, and I have no way of adjusting it unless I physically alter the exhaust tips. That rattle in particularly annoys me, especially on cold days, but even cold starts its pretty annoying.

I plan to either take it somewhere to tailor the tips better or have a friend do it. We'll see.

Old 05-11-2016, 08:30 AM
MiniTigger
5th Gear
Received 37 Likes on 32 Posts
I hate that it's been keeping me smiling.

Old 05-11-2016, 10:37 AM
mdaz75
4th Gear
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by Snaps
This year will mark ten years of ownership, and yet the only real big bag is the rattles. I can deal with almost everything else, but the rattles get to me. Also, my exhaust tips sit high so it's touching the rear valance, and I have no way of adjusting it unless I physically alter the exhaust tips. That rattle in particularly annoys me, especially on cold days, but even cold starts its pretty annoying.

I plan to either take it somewhere to tailor the tips better or have a friend do it. We'll see.
I have to agree 100%. The rattles make me freakin' mental.

Old 05-15-2016, 08:32 PM
goneFXcrazy
3rd Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by mdaz75
I have to agree 100%. The rattles make me freakin' mental.
My R60 rattles, the Wife's F56 rattles, my R53, no rattles. Go figure.

Old 05-15-2016, 08:34 PM
goneFXcrazy
3rd Gear
In particular I have a rattle/creak behind my Speedo/Nav unit in the R60. It rattles on the highway and creaks any time I'm accelerating or braking at lower speeds, drives me insane on the 5+ stop signs on my way to work....

Old 05-17-2016, 02:12 PM
Dudskie
2nd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
For not having a spare tire.

Old 05-17-2016, 02:22 PM
ECSTuning
Platinum Sponsor
Received 1,966 Likes on 1,766 Posts
Yea, that can be fixed with a portable air pump and a can of tire fix. Otherwise a donut spare in the boot,

MINI Guru/ MINI Owner Since 2004 | NEW Lifetime Part Replacement | Local Pickup
Milltek | Genuine MINI | Forge Motorsport | NM Engineering | ECS Performance | M7 Speed
Customer Service Hours: 8am-8pm EST|Sales Team Hours: 8am-11pm | SAT 10am-7pm 800.924.5172
Old 05-17-2016, 06:31 PM
BrushingSand
Neutral

Last edited by BrushingSand; 06-16-2017 at 10:05 PM.
Old 05-17-2016, 07:13 PM
MiniTigger
5th Gear
My thoughts on cars. You can pay for cars with the latest in gadgetry but are not so much reliable or are very reliable with not much gadgetry. The closer you get to having both, the more expensive it will be.

Old 05-18-2016, 03:34 AM
goneFXcrazy
3rd Gear
What You Hate Most about Your Mini???

Originally Posted by MiniTigger
My thoughts on cars. You can pay for cars with the latest in gadgetry but are not so much reliable or are very reliable with not much gadgetry. The closer you get to having both, the more expensive it will be.
My Loaded 2013 F150 EcoBoost had more tech, more space, more comfortable, faster ($4k in go fast bits), had s much better stock stereo, etc. new price about $41k. New price on a nice CMS, could easily approach $41k. The truck was definitely a better quality vehicle.

You pay the premium for the MINI brand name. That's why I would never buy a new one. Pre-owned is by far the only cost effective way.

Old 05-18-2016, 05:20 AM
MiniTigger
5th Gear
Originally Posted by goneFXcrazy
My Loaded 2013 F150 EcoBoost had more tech, more space, more comfortable, faster ($4k in go fast bits), had s much better stock stereo, etc. new price about $41k. New price on a nice CMS, could easily approach $41k. The truck was definitely a better quality vehicle.

You pay the premium for the MINI brand name. That's why I would never buy a new one. Pre-owned is by far the only cost effective way.
Exactly my point - while the F150 does have all these tech gadgets - the EcoBoost is a horrible engine (specifically, the turbo's and humidity & mfr mpg ratings). They could have and should have done so much better, especially for the price. There are so many horror stories about the EcoBoost. By the way, I'm not hating on Ford. Chevy has the same issue - they're wooing people with all the new gadgetry .. what about the vehicle and its reliability??? Other MFR's have the same issue.

One of my favorite cars is the Mercedes G wagon (SUV). Gadgets - yep, gadgets galore. Performance - can go anywhere and do anything. Reliability - not so much. Price - crazy expensive.

Last edited by MiniTigger; 05-18-2016 at 05:51 AM.
Old 05-18-2016, 07:40 AM
Dudskie
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by ECSTuning
Yea, that can be fixed with a portable air pump and a can of tire fix. Otherwise a donut spare in the boot,

Yes, that's my plan an air pump and fix a flat. If I get a donut how can I secure it in the boot? And can a donut clear my brake?

Old 05-18-2016, 08:39 AM
ECSTuning
Platinum Sponsor
Received 1,966 Likes on 1,766 Posts
On the Rear , Yes. Then swap the good rear to the front if you have a problem. On the fronts " NO for most unless you have a Gen 1 MINI with non JCW brakes.

https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...and-tires.html

MINI Guru/ MINI Owner Since 2004 | NEW Lifetime Part Replacement | Local Pickup
Milltek | Genuine MINI | Forge Motorsport | NM Engineering | ECS Performance | M7 Speed
Customer Service Hours: 8am-8pm EST|Sales Team Hours: 8am-11pm | SAT 10am-7pm 800.924.5172
Old 05-18-2016, 07:10 PM
goneFXcrazy
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by MiniTigger
Exactly my point - while the F150 does have all these tech gadgets - the EcoBoost is a horrible engine (specifically, the turbo's and humidity & mfr mpg ratings). They could have and should have done so much better, especially for the price. There are so many horror stories about the EcoBoost. By the way, I'm not hating on Ford. Chevy has the same issue - they're wooing people with all the new gadgetry .. what about the vehicle and its reliability??? Other MFR's have the same issue.

One of my favorite cars is the Mercedes G wagon (SUV). Gadgets - yep, gadgets galore. Performance - can go anywhere and do anything. Reliability - not so much. Price - crazy expensive.
Stock EcoBoost, not worth it. Tune, downpipes, mild exhaust, intercooler, etc. it becomes an absolute monster. I was far above 575 lbft and still got about 18-19mpg on the highway with my 35" tires, no exaggeration.

35k miles not an issue, and I beat the living hell out of that truck. It did well for me.

Old 05-22-2016, 07:49 AM
jeffcutler
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by fmalgapo
1.) having to crane my neck at traffic lights to see if its red or green
2.) sliding armrest
3.) crappy base stereo
4.) turn signal stalk (can't always find the detent of the 3 flash or continuous) when I'm busy changing lanes and it either doesnt blink enough or keeps blinking.
5.) trunk grip release button has a mind of its own
6.) toggle switch for central locking - locks/unlocks in either direction.

I still love my Mini after all that.
To take a page out of his book, I really love my MINI. It's the second one I've owned and the plan with this one is to hang onto it forever.

That said, the MINOR annoyances I could do without are...

Brake dust. I like the look of clean, sporty wheels. Brake dust takes away from that. But, on the upside, if you have dust, you know you've been driving.

Dripping from the rain. But I don't like rain anyhow, so this isn't a MINI thing, it's a nature thing.

Door double pull to open. Similarly, the 'squeeze' door handle is a blech design. My mother and practically everyone who's ever gotten in my MINIs have had a learning curve on opening the door from outside and from inside. It's one item that isn't as intuitive as it could be.

Seat belts laying flat, retracting completely and out of the way. These should work better. And it's just my OCD that makes me focus on these.

Run-flat tires blow. But that's a given and an easy fix.

That's about it. Overall, the car is a treat and I love it.

Old 05-22-2016, 05:59 PM
MiniTigger
5th Gear
Originally Posted by goneFXcrazy
Stock EcoBoost, not worth it. Tune, downpipes, mild exhaust, intercooler, etc. it becomes an absolute monster. I was far above 575 lbft and still got about 18-19mpg on the highway with my 35" tires, no exaggeration.

35k miles not an issue, and I beat the living hell out of that truck. It did well for me.
Sadly, none of those mods fixes the EB from hydrolocking. :(

Old 05-31-2016, 05:27 PM
Snaps
4th Gear
Right now? I hate the waiting until I get another vehicle and turn Egan into my weekend car. I have 148k miles on it, still on original suspension, clutch, and supercharger. Still screams like he's always ready for more though.

My plan for the next upcoming winter is to service the supercharger (might take it to Way), replace the clutch, and perhaps install a LSD in the process. So yeah, I hate it right now, but Egan is keeping me occupied until then.

Old 06-01-2016, 02:50 AM
JKo
3rd Gear
Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts
Rattles and oil leaks on my R53. Didn't rattle at all when I bought it with 95.000km on the clock, but now at 187.000km the dashboard is driving me crazy with random rattles.

The only seal/gasket on the engine that I haven't yet replaced is the rear crank seal, so of course it's leaking like crazy. Replacing the clutch soon (release bearing is making noises) so I'll get to fix that leak too...

Old 06-01-2016, 03:24 AM
Snaps
4th Gear
Originally Posted by JKo
Rattles and oil leaks on my R53. Didn't rattle at all when I bought it with 95.000km on the clock, but now at 187.000km the dashboard is driving me crazy with random rattles.

The only seal/gasket on the engine that I haven't yet replaced is the rear crank seal, so of course it's leaking like crazy. Replacing the clutch soon (release bearing is making noises) so I'll get to fix that leak too...
Yeah, I believe I have a small leak by the rear main seal as well as I've seen just a little bit of oil accumulate between the transmission and engine, but it wasn't bad enough where I need to replace it now. I'll of course change the clutch and differential and whatever else I can do when the time comes for that particular seal.

Old 06-01-2016, 06:11 PM
madcanvis
3rd Gear
Received 49 Likes on 21 Posts
84k miles on the r53 and rattles aren't too bad but....!!!
1) no factory auto up windows
2) paint is soft as puppy poo
3) no clear coat (paint) under hood or boot
4) holes in the roof for a factory roof rack

Last edited by madcanvis; 04-21-2018 at 06:16 PM. Reason: Add roof holes
Old 06-02-2016, 04:36 AM
TG.
6th Gear
Received 38 Likes on 36 Posts
We have over two and a half year of ownership, 30k miles on the clock, and I have to agree the paint is by far the biggest disappointment of our MINI. I bought a Volvo S40T5 brand new in 2005 and well cared for the paint is for the most part in great condition and feels very strong. There are a few chips on the front bumper and hood but the car is 11 yrs old. The MINI on the other hand gets chipped so easily it's a bit frustrating. They really could do better then this for what I would call a mid to premium compact car brand.

Other than that we do love the car

Taken about 3 yrs ago (after roughly 7.5yrs of ownership) - Take notice MINI, that's paint quality.

Last edited by TG.; 06-02-2016 at 06:15 AM.
Old 06-05-2016, 10:56 AM
Supertractor3
1st Gear
Run Flats really suck
brutally tight engine compartment
No one touch window up
Hydraulic Engine and Lower Control Arm Mounts absolutely suck!
Having to tear the entire front end off to do just about anything to the engine,
but my #1 gripe about every MINI cooper I have ever owned.................

Duel Mass Flywheels!

Old 06-07-2016, 05:25 AM
ejo
Neutral
After 120k gave our (MY WIFE'S) 2006 to our adult son as the engine light couldn't be reset due to O2 codes. Biggest complaint; always have to go to dealer for "special" service which was a PITA, with as for most owners that is a 2 hour one way trip. (why can't BMW dealers service these cars, as there are more of those around than Mini?).
That said my wife after driving 3K miles in her new Subaru XV Crosstrek misses her Mini terribly. The new car doesn't put a smile on her face like the Mini always did and does.
The son loves the car and even with the engine light on happily motors along in 'his' Mini. At least it is still in the family and after 38K miles with check engine O2 sensor light on we aren't to worried about that as it performs great with good mileage.
If there were only more dealers around she/we would be driving a new Mini, with automatic this time around.
No rattles at all after 135K and just the O2 sensor problems and a wheel bearing, used Stop Oil Leak for the crank seal and did standard brakes, tire and oil service maintenance/replacement.

Quick Reply: What You Hate Most about Your Mini???