General MINI Talk Shared experiences, motoring minutes, and other general MINI-related discussion that applies to all MINIs, regardless of model, year or trim.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What You Hate Most about Your Mini???

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2011, 09:37 PM
ptrd
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sunroof I'm okay with because I came from a M Coupe which just had glass, nothing more to cover.

Also I just wish cars had linear gas gauges. Pretty much every non-american car I've driven has this exponentially decreasing fuel gauge. I mean how hard is it to calibrate the fuel gauge? My brothers '03 GMC Sierra doesn't seem to have a problem? Could it be because of the way these smaller car's gas tanks aren't just rectangular tanks?

Old 01-01-2011, 11:39 PM
MCSonMymind
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by ptrd
I haven't had time to read all the "hates" but here are mine. I've only put 500 miles on a brand new 2011 MCS too.

1. double pull on the locks, why can't i set a custom function with comfort access to open the locks when I turn off the engine?
2. Is it me or does the gas pointer (tells me which side the gas cap is) wrong? The arrow points to the passenger side...
3.Lack of informative gauges from factory
4. Is it me or does the downshifting while braking a little aggressive? It makes for odd or unbalanced braking
5. Cupholders pointless. Can't row down window if a cup does fit there.
6. Recline lever is in such a weird spot

I'm sure there will be more
So then do you regret getting the 2011 MCS?

Old 01-02-2011, 02:00 AM
MotorMouth
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I haven't had time to read all the "hates" but here are mine. I've only put 500 miles on a brand new 2011 MCS too.

1. double pull on the locks, why can't i set a custom function with comfort access to open the locks when I turn off the engine?
2. Is it me or does the gas pointer (tells me which side the gas cap is) wrong? The arrow points to the passenger side...
3. Lack of informative gauges from factory
4. Is it me or does the downshifting while braking a little aggressive? It makes for odd or unbalanced braking
5. Cupholders pointless. Can't row down window if a cup does fit there.
6. Recline lever is in such a weird spot

I'm sure there will be more
1. Same. I'd like the doors to unlock when i turn off the engine too.
2. Who cares? It SHOULD be easy to remember what side your gas tank is on. It's only 50/50.
3. I agree. I added an Alta boost gauge. I'd still like a temp gauge.
4. I wouldn't know as I drive a stick shift and it always shifts exactly when I want it to.
5. I've never had problem working around them and I keep 20oz soda bottles there sometimes. They are much better than the first generation cup holders. You'd love your cup holders if you had ever had to deal with first gen cup holders.
6. Really? I have no problem with it even though I often have to change it. (wife drives often)

Old 01-02-2011, 06:07 AM
redhotchillipepper
1st Gear
I really hate went the dealer make $h!t up. Hopping the I am not the only one. recently went to get the fog light program or code it. they told me "the mother board need to be change" $450.00 $160.00 labor sound funny to me oh but wait said I did the installation correctly. SCAM people Scam they hate went a know how does the job better and faster for less. with this economy who want to pay $600.00 to install them. now they want more money. do you wonder why people go postal? humm
My question to any one who's done the front fog light on there 04 to 07 mini please share with me.
There is some thing else they did but yet to tell till I get back to that dealer...

Old 01-02-2011, 06:53 AM
HRM
6th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Temp gauge thoughts

Originally Posted by phinzup
That's the one gauge I keep finding myself looking for. Hell, I use it in my Odyssey to see if I'm up to temp on a cold evening.
I have an oil temp gauge installed and I can say that it takes at least 10 minutes for oil to get to temp after the water gauge is up to temp. Just an FYI, oil pressure can still be 50lbs at idle then. Best to wait until oil temp is hot before a spirited beating.

Old 01-02-2011, 11:40 AM
ptrd
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by MCSonMymind
So then do you regret getting the 2011 MCS?
No, I think "regret" is a strong word. Yes I enjoy the car but I'm the type of person that can find faults and accept them. Not just blatant fanboyism (not directed towards you at all just a general thought). If I were to list the "loves" it would greatly overshadow the "hates" list. That's why I bought the car . Now obviously we all have some gripes (this thread wouldn't be here if the car was perfect). All of my quibbles are small and just annoyances rather than outright hate.

Originally Posted by MotorMouth
1. Same. I'd like the doors to unlock when i turn off the engine too.
2. Who cares? It SHOULD be easy to remember what side your gas tank is on. It's only 50/50.
3. I agree. I added an Alta boost gauge. I'd still like a temp gauge.
4. I wouldn't know as I drive a stick shift and it always shifts exactly when I want it to.
5. I've never had problem working around them and I keep 20oz soda bottles there sometimes. They are much better than the first generation cup holders. You'd love your cup holders if you had ever had to deal with first gen cup holders.
6. Really? I have no problem with it even though I often have to change it. (wife drives often)
2. I know it's just weird thing. I don't normally forget which side the gas cap is on but why even have an arrow? Again, now I will never notice it but the first time I pulled up to a pump, I pulled up wrong due to the fact most german cars fill up on the passenger side and the arrow points that way so you could assume the factory would notice that.
3. I have my old scangauge II from my other car so that fixed it in a jiff.
4. Wish I could have gotten a manual but the gf wants to be able to drive this car :(
5. I normally don't carry drinks in the car except my morning coffee It's one of those taller thermos so I just put it in the passenger side. Hey I agree, it's a lot better than the Z3 cupholder which was directly where my elbow was. Everytime I shifted it would knock into the mug.

I love the idea of this thread though. I don't think it's to bash on the car, just more of an informative one. Heck if you were to make this very same thread in other car forums, they would eat it alive.

Old 01-02-2011, 12:26 PM
KevinC
5th Gear
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I
There is no "gas pointer" on our cars. Is that one really worth even complaining about? Those things are typically found in rental fleet-type cars like Cavaliers and other similar turds, where the driver legitimately isn't familiar with the car and doesn't know which way to pull into a gas station. Or, was brain-dead enough to actually BUY a Cavalier, meaning the owner may never figure it out.

If that truly bothers you, I suspect your list of "hates" could be much longer than the short one you listed.

Old 01-02-2011, 01:15 PM
tccox
4th Gear
Originally Posted by KevinC
There is no "gas pointer" on our cars. listed.
Well, actually there is one , at least on the 2011's. From page 53 of owners manual "The arrow next to the gas pump symbol of the fuel gauge points toward the side of the vehicle with the fuel filler cap" So I guess we have something in common with all those Chevy's

Old 01-02-2011, 01:55 PM
ptrd
2nd Gear
Tccox so did you notice that too? At first I thought maybe everyone on here is right and I'm just seeing things. I mean looking at it again, I could have been confused with the multifunction display showing what you're currently seeing (miles left, instant mpg, avg mpg, etc).

KevinC: I don't know, maybe it is worth complaining about because it "appears" wrong. For something so simple, how could they possibly mess that up? It's kind of like if they had labeled the gears wrong. Sure you know where the gears are or the normal (P N D) but if they can't label that right, wouldn't you be annoyed?

Also my list of gripes is pretty much it. None more

Old 01-02-2011, 03:20 PM
Patches
3rd Gear
Gas fill side indicator is on my '11 R56s speedo and points in the correct direction. (Not that I need it - tough to miss.)

Old 01-02-2011, 03:45 PM
*Ghost*
5th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Thank you for posting this Patches!

I totally overlooked it! I am so blind.

Old 01-02-2011, 04:15 PM
Vollgas
6th Gear
I've been reading some people's hates in their Mini's.
I'm very suprised at some of the comments.
Which side fuel door on, cupholders, door locks, etc.
You should be happy with what you have.
A 1960's british car included these fine features:
No cupholders
Plastic sliding windows that leaked in a sunshower.
Convertible top frames that had to be assemblied before you could put top up.
Convertible tops that leaked when they were up.
Heaters that did not heat.
No A/C
Positive ground electrical systems.
Lucas electrics (The Prince of Darkness)
Windsheild wipers that did not wipe.
Seats that felt like you were sitting on a piece of plywood with cotton ball cushioning.
SU Carbs (What's FI?)
Wire wheels with 8 broken spokes.
Brakes that did not stop.
Lever suspension
4" wide tires
Cars that came pre rusted by the factory.
Cars that required 4 hours of maintence to go on a 1 hour drive.
Cars that are no longer produced, Austin Healey, MG, Triumph, etc.

My only regret that I didn't buy a MINI earlier.

Old 01-02-2011, 05:52 PM
ptrd
2nd Gear
lol I stand corrected, I am looking at the wrong one.

I'm looking at the front tach display and the fuel symbol is just for the onboard trip computer readouts, not the gas cap indictor.

Sorry for the confusion.

I realize some of us are nit-picking but wouldn't constant critique yield better results? It's an evolution. Using your point, one shouldn't have complained about it in the 1960s because we should be happy for what we have. I'm fairly happy with the mini, it could just iron out some tweaks

Old 01-02-2011, 06:14 PM
LaLa Rocks
2nd Gear
I HATE how it was windy one day and the wind blew the door onto my shin... it's been 2 weeks now and I still have a bruise! Damn those MINI doors and them being so painfully heavy!

Old 01-04-2011, 01:32 PM
3pedalMINI
4th Gear
I HATE that the roof antenna base on the 2011's why is not painted to match the roof? Its also very backwards to me, the entire antenna needs todo a 180 so it looks more aerodynamic.

In all honesty the thing is quite hidious and large. At the very least they can paint it and slim it down ALOT. they already have the painted antennas on BMW's why cant they share that?

i dont know the thing bothers me, even with a shorty antenna. Hyundai's even get painted roof "shark fins"......of course im going to throw it out there and say that AUDI has the most gorgeous shark fin antenna on the road IMHO.

end rant

Old 01-05-2011, 12:14 PM
therjparker
1st Gear
Originally Posted by BOO6366
why do you need to have the doors closed in order to close the windows??
Drives me nuts.
Not sure what you mean by this. I open and close my windows all the time with the door open and it's no problem. I drive a 03 R53 and I'm a MA at a MINI dealer and out 2011s don't have that problem either. Maybe it's your car.

Old 01-05-2011, 12:19 PM
therjparker
1st Gear
Originally Posted by BUGETER
I hate my headliner. My headliner in my 03 finally started to droop and it is not a pretty site.
Another perk of the pano roof. less headliner to go soft.

Old 01-05-2011, 12:26 PM
therjparker
1st Gear
Originally Posted by nickydicky13
oh and htat automatic crap with the air. i feel like im driving in a fire when im on the highway, how do i stop the hot air from always coming in?!?!!?

what has worked for me is to turn the system on, set the temperature for about 70 degrees or so, maybe 72-74 and then turn the system off. i'm not sure why this would work but it appears to work somehow so who cares.

Old 01-05-2011, 02:15 PM
rishardh
1st Gear
Don't like how the stock R56 looks from behind. With wider tires and lowered it looks much better.

Old 01-05-2011, 10:09 PM
liquid wrench
1st Gear
what I hate most about my Mini

the inability to get it fixed :......anyone know a good shop in the ny / pa area?

Old 01-06-2011, 07:11 AM
sgj
Neutral
I hate the console downpost in my '06. They could have put the stuff in the console up where that huge useless speedometer is and left room in the center for my right leg.

Old 01-06-2011, 07:53 AM
flatlander_48
5th Gear
Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by sgj
I hate the console downpost in my '06. They could have put the stuff in the console up where that huge useless speedometer is and left room in the center for my right leg.
Have you no sense of Tradition, Grasshopper?

Old 01-06-2011, 08:27 AM
sgj
Neutral
If I didn't like tradition, I certainly wouldn't be driving a Mini. However, when tradition causes any drive more than 15 minutes to be very uncomfortable it needs to be changed.

Old 01-06-2011, 08:59 AM
therjparker
1st Gear
Originally Posted by MiniKar
That I don't get to drive it all year around; can't trust other drivers in the winter . . . . . . . Waiting till its warm again ! ! !
Pardon me but: LAME! You live in AZ. MINIs are not bad in the snow. Annnnddd clearly the roads in AZ aren't so bad everyday that you can't take the car out at least here and there and not totally shelf it all winter. Psh.

I drive an R53 in the Northeast where there is snow, black ice and slush on the road 1/3 of the winter and Coop is my one and only and I wouldn't stop driving it if I had a Mercedes SUV in my fleet.

Man up.

Old 01-06-2011, 09:44 AM
DneprDave
6th Gear
Received 85 Likes on 77 Posts
I avoid driving my MINI in poor weather also. I have a four wheel drive truck for bad weather driving.

Dave

Quick Reply: What You Hate Most about Your Mini???