General MINI Talk Shared experiences, motoring minutes, and other general MINI-related discussion that applies to all MINIs, regardless of model, year or trim.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What did you do to your mini today?

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2012, 08:03 AM
srtoad4
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Took a photo few days ago:

Plasti-dipped the gas cap over the wknd, and washed the Minz

Name:  IMAG0508.jpg
Views: 86
Size:  268.2 KB

Old 04-17-2012, 08:28 AM
OldGameFreaK
4th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by joe_bfstplk
Got the JCW engine control software installed today. Nudnik seems a lot smoother, idles better, pulls a little harder when you stomp the go pedal, and no longer has the slight "flat spot" at around 3k RPM. Further updates as I have more time driving it, but so far, I'm happy. While he was plugged in, I also got a couple body control module settings turned on that I'd been wishing for forever.

C ya,
Dutch

Initial impressions and observations, after a round trip to work:
1. I noticed that the speedo now indicates speed in reverse, which it didn't previously.
2. After warming up, I got the impression that the JCW tune adds more timing advance at light-throttle cruise. The difference was about the same as I remember from the old air-cooled Beetle if you re-attached the loose vacuum hose to the dashpot on the distributor....
3. Idle is definitely smoother.
4. Light-throttle cruise results in far less exhaust sound--another clue that it gets a bit more timing advance at light-throttle than before.
5. Throttle curve is a bit quicker at the early stages, so that just thinking hard enough about maybe adding some throttle results in mild acceleration. No more off-the-line stumble thanks to the quicker throttle response, too, since it responds much more like my foot expects it to than it did before. Me likey!
6. Smoother throughout the RPM range, and a bit more oomph, too.
7. Gas mileage according to the meter is about the same. The true test will be doing the math at the end of the tank.
8. Cruise control now works much more accurately, without overshooting its target, and settles right in at the previously set speed when resuming.

Do you have the pulley, intake and exhaust done? I have the same tune and it make a big difference on mine (IMHO). The stumble on pulling away from a stop came back on mine after a while. D@mn adaptations. But I had some of the BCM options turned on yesterday and after the reset it woke it back up. I expect it will come back again.

Old 04-17-2012, 08:41 AM
joe_bfstplk
5th Gear
Originally Posted by OldGameFreaK
Do you have the pulley, intake and exhaust done? I have the same tune and it make a big difference on mine (IMHO). The stumble on pulling away from a stop came back on mine after a while. D@mn adaptations. But I had some of the BCM options turned on yesterday and after the reset it woke it back up. I expect it will come back again.
Yeah, I have a 16% pulley, an exhaust (supposedly the back half of an RMW, with a custom front pipe), and I've modded my intake.

C ya,
Dutch

Old 04-17-2012, 09:31 AM
GigglesMcMini
6th Gear
scuffed the outer rim of my black EDR9 rims

Anyone recommend a wheel paint that will duplicate color and satin finish?

I replaced the first rim I scratched, so can't justify another replacement. Gotta face it, they are gonna get scuffed, etc. So just want to blend it in, so not that noticable...erg

Old 04-17-2012, 09:46 AM
joe_bfstplk
5th Gear
Originally Posted by GigglesMcMini
scuffed the outer rim of my black EDR9 rims

Anyone recommend a wheel paint that will duplicate color and satin finish?

I replaced the first rim I scratched, so can't justify another replacement. Gotta face it, they are gonna get scuffed, etc. So just want to blend it in, so not that noticable...erg
Black sharpie to the rescue? Might make the scuff less noticeable....

C ya,
Dutch

Old 04-17-2012, 09:48 AM
DixonL2
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Giggles, try "bumper paint", it's sturdy and has that nice, kinda-but-not-quite-shiny look. Mask carefully, of course do a test patch on another non-Mini metal surface first.

(edit: Black Sharpie is a cool temporary solution! Be sure to clean it with solvent before applying real paint though).

Old 04-17-2012, 09:54 AM
GigglesMcMini
6th Gear
Originally Posted by DixonL2
Giggles, try "bumper paint", it's sturdy and has that nice, kinda-but-not-quite-shiny look. Mask carefully, of course do a test patch on another non-Mini metal surface first.

(edit: Black Sharpie is a cool temporary solution! Be sure to clean it with solvent before applying real paint though).
Thanks so much!! Knew I could count on you guys. Gonna do the sharpie thing. It's really very small. About an inch long and 1/4 inch wide...

Can't wait to meet you at The Dragon!! Signed up for Bingo..

Old 04-17-2012, 09:56 AM
GigglesMcMini
6th Gear
Am assuming "bumper paint" can be found at auto stores...any brand better than another?

Old 04-17-2012, 02:05 PM
drsimmons
6th Gear
Got my Megan Racing Coilovers, h-sport camber links installed today as well as an alignment. WOW - now the Mini really feels like a go-cart.
So happy and satisfied.
Here are a few pics. Oh, install was courtesy of Mini of Pensacola.

Attached Thumbnails What did you do to your mini today?-dsc02674.jpg   What did you do to your mini today?-dsc02672.jpg   What did you do to your mini today?-dsc02678.jpg  
Old 04-17-2012, 03:02 PM
bkosh84
2nd Gear
Had Safelite install a new windshield today (via my insurance and the fact that the thing was pitted all to heck) and it went flawlessly. It wasn't OEM glass but I don't notice a different other than I can see clearly through the front of my car now, lol.

Old 04-17-2012, 03:21 PM
drsimmons
6th Gear
Safelite must not be too bad, my wife has had 2 chips repaired and no problems.
Also, while at Mini of Pensacola today I noticed a Safelite truck leaving their garage so they use Safelite. This is also a reg. BMW shop as well.

Old 04-17-2012, 03:23 PM
bkosh84
2nd Gear
Yeah, they came to my work and replaced it in the parking lot in 45 minutes. He took his time and from what I can tell, did it correctly.. All the moulding is back in place and feels like it won't move anytime soon.

Old 04-17-2012, 03:27 PM
NavyNUKE
5th Gear
I had Safelite fill a chip (also through my insurance), the resin fill isn't perfect, can still see the chip if you look hard enough but it'll hold!

Also, my MINI became an only child today, its sibilings went to new homes! Sad and happy day..all in one.

Old 04-17-2012, 03:41 PM
drsimmons
6th Gear
NavyNuke - I'd say that was an operator error. You can always tell them to redo it.

Old 04-17-2012, 03:48 PM
Albiecrazy
6th Gear
Got my new badges yesterday. You all may be familiar with COOPERation - he did my sig and many, many others here. Well he designed these as well as the T-shirts for my run. Did them last year, too. Talk about an easy guy to work with! I've yet to meet Craig in person, so we've done business by e-mail - I'm amazed at what he can do and how quickly he made the changes I wanted. And we must have gone through 7 or so changes to this badge. If you ever need graphics work done and want to work with the best, Craig's the MAN!

Old 04-17-2012, 03:58 PM
mbwicz
6th Gear
Received 50 Likes on 43 Posts
drsimmons, how much did you drop your mini, what are the current heights to the fender arches? It looks really good, like your sig says, 'tastefully modded'. Well done.

Mike

Old 04-17-2012, 05:05 PM
MinMin2010
5th Gear
Well, I added some more carbon fiber goodies today: NM Engineering CF scuttles, CARBONMINI CARBONPRO CF gas cap overlay, JCW CF boot handle, and CF mirror cover overlays. The NM Engineering CF front lip ws added a couple days ago. The CARBONMINI CARBONPRO CF door handle overlays will be here in a couple days, as well as the new wheels and tires and NM Engineering Stainless cat-back exhaust. Next pics will have these. The M7 Tuning CF C-wing is still on backorder for the next 7-9 weeks.

Old 04-17-2012, 05:38 PM
nskripsky
4th Gear
Got the Headlight and taillight rings all blacked out. Pictures to come when I have light.

Old 04-17-2012, 05:56 PM
gr8ful
4th Gear
Took the MINI to the dealer for the first time. The inside mirror day/night **** just spins. New mirror on order.

Old 04-17-2012, 06:07 PM
drsimmons
6th Gear
Originally Posted by mbwicz
drsimmons, how much did you drop your mini, what are the current heights to the fender arches? It looks really good, like your sig says, 'tastefully modded'. Well done.

Mike
Thanks for the compliment.
Those are Megan Racing Coilovers and from ground to bottom of wheel arch is 24.5" front and back. Those coilovers are awesome. They are easy to adjust and have 32 damping settings. Mine are set at 16 (mid range) and not bumpy at all.
Didn't want much more than that for daily driver (height wise).
Also, if it helps those are 16" wheels w/ 205/50/16's.

Last edited by drsimmons; 04-17-2012 at 06:33 PM.
Old 04-17-2012, 06:26 PM
joetiii
2nd Gear
Its what I'm looking to do this weekend that I am posting about. I want to do swap my front and rear speaker outputs at the connector and am looking to borrow that special molex tool.

Anybody have that tool I can borrow?

If not, anybody know where to get one? Checked a place like radio shack but they didnt show anything online... hmm?

Old 04-17-2012, 07:26 PM
Project
2nd Gear
Picked it up today from its first scheduled service...everything still seems to work normally...

Old 04-17-2012, 07:59 PM
DixonL2
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I will Never, Ever use Safelite again. Windshield installed incorrectly, stress cracked, help on the replacement only when my insurance guy got involved, separate installer and AGAIN incorrect, broke the mounting tabs on the A-pillars AND the iwindshield trim during the install. Never. Again. Their jingle is correct - Safelite Reiapr, (then because they did it wrong), Safelite Replace (again and again). Yurgh.

Giggles, see you @ Bingo! I'll be the guy up front, calling numbers ("O - 69" always gets a laugh). BUmper Paint at any car parts store, but it's only a spray. You DO want to paint that rash, as it'll oxidize otherwise, but Sharpie will make a good temporary repair.

What'd I do with MY Mini today? Drove in a convoy with a R56 Justa, a R50 modified Justa, a 2006 GP, and my 2006 Checkmate. Wonderful.

Old 04-17-2012, 09:15 PM
bmwr606
6th Gear
Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts
today i turned off the DSC and Traction, found a tight twisty road and discovered that it IS possible to induce throttle oversteer on a countryman s all4!

i have the pirelli cinturato p7 RFs 225/45-18s

scott

Old 04-18-2012, 05:27 AM
Mymojomini
2nd Gear

New catch can installed

Quick Reply: What did you do to your mini today?