General MINI Talk Shared experiences, motoring minutes, and other general MINI-related discussion that applies to all MINIs, regardless of model, year or trim.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Clear Bra: buy through dealer or independent

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2007, 09:40 PM
narkose
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Clear Bra: buy through dealer or independent

I am considering a MCS seriously. I am not sure what to do about the option of the invisishield that is offered through the dealer.

Could you please comment on your experiences with installing through the dealer versus using an independent shop to do this for you. I am looking for comments regarding comparative cost, quality of installation and whether different products are better than others.

Thanks
Andrew

Old 08-23-2007, 10:08 PM
dragonflyer
6th Gear
Try wwwautopaintguard.com He is a vendor on here and sells a great product. The dearler in my town wanted to charge 800 dollars for the clear bra

Old 08-24-2007, 12:28 AM
ScottRiqui
OVERDRIVE
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
I know that my dealer just farms out the clearbra installations to a local shop (tacking on a surcharge in the process), so I just went to the same installer that my dealer uses and dealt with him directly. His price was $500 for the bumper, grille surround, grille slats, hood scoop, mirror backs, fog lights, headlights, driving lights and the first 18" or so of the hood.

Old 08-24-2007, 12:44 AM
SimpsonGI
Coordinator :: Emerald MINI Car Club
I'd go with your local installer. Check around to see what warranties are offered on the product. From my dealer, the warranty was only 5 years. From my local installer, lifetime. It was also $300 cheaper.

Some installers use the 3M product, some the Venture Shield. As long as you get a lifetime warranty at a reputable shop, you're good. I'd avoid having the material placed over any bonnet stripes though. It will cause an extra gap and if you have to replace a stripe you'll either need to cut it or remove the clear bra material.

I have the Venture Shield product and they have a pattern that takes OEM bonnet stripes into consideration. The material does not cover my stripes which is a good thing since I'm having one of them replaced next week as it got stained from a weeping washer jet.

Old 09-26-2007, 09:09 AM
rzhgct
Neutral
Any suggestions on how I find out what local installer my dealer uses? That sounds like the way to go. I'm in the Detroit area and receive my new baby (MCS) next week.
Thanks

Old 09-26-2007, 09:18 AM
golfersmurf
3rd Gear
My dealer quoted some outragous amount to have a clear bra put on, I think it was $600 or more. They do it via their body shop, who in turn outsources the work to an area traveling installer. Who installs an ordered kit, so if they screw up they continue, no fall-back plan.

Instead I went the 3M route and went to the 3M website, did a dealer search and contacted my nearest dealer, who was 2 hours away.

I ended up going to the dealer guy, he was awesome, he did the whole thing with film he custom cut at his shop installed for only $350! Lifetime warranty. Looks perfect!

Old 09-26-2007, 02:50 PM
BlimeyCabrio
6th Gear
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Only thing I'd add to what others have said - if you use an independent installer, ask them how many MINIs they've done, and ask for references, and CHECK the references. While many cars have different elements that can be a challenge to apply clearbra on, the MINI's bonnet profile can be particularly tricky - a lot of stretching has to happen for everything to lie down right. I wouldn't want to be the first MINI install for any installer, even an otherwise experienced one... unless it was full disclosure and he guaranteed my satisfaction or money back...

Old 09-26-2007, 04:38 PM
tdm156
Ruling the curves
Go independent and save a few bucks but yes do make sure they have done MINI's before for sure.

Old 09-26-2007, 08:46 PM
golfersmurf
3rd Gear
That's a great point folks, definitely ask an independent if they've done other MINI's...I know the 3M dealer I went to assured me he had done others and even had pictures. He also assured me if I found any imperfections in his install or film issues down the road he would happily reinstall the film for free...can't beat that.

Old 09-27-2007, 12:36 PM
Tess
4th Gear
I got the VentureShield done by a guy recommended to me by the local BMW dealership (we don't have a local MINI dealer). It was $600 total for mirror caps, headlights (have to go back to get those, ordered separately), front grill, front everything.. up about 18" on the bonnet.

I had dings before installation, have had none since.