General Discussion Competiting with the new MINI on track or at a SCCA Solo event.

Lime Rock .my 1st track day ...impressions

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2004, 02:50 PM
d-mini-ero
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lime Rock .my 1st track day ...impressions

All I can say is ….WOW!!!!!
An incredible experience and I can’t see how one could not become “ hooked” …after simply…one track day ]

It was a beautiful sunny day in the mid 70’s not a cloud in sight …so it couldn’t have been a more perfect setting.
What made it even more fun was to hang with other MINI enthusiasts….Trevor (dkstone), Michelle (Tontobird), John (GMINIO), and Ken (gt6). Ed (Maxamini) and his lovely wife stopped by to show support which was a great surprise.

Lime rock is approx 1.5 miles in size with a varied series of turns and straight runs.As a quick note…. there are some turns you just immediately feel comfortable with while others seem to be problematic (Big Bend for those who have been there.... seems to be my…less than comfortable turn.

Ian Prout (the director) is a terrific young man who is omnipresent as he pops up all day long and is always there to help, answer questions and make the track day experience ….terrific.

The day begins w/ a tech inspection for your car. A smiley face decal ….shows you are …good 2 go.
Next is a drivers meeting where you are introduced to Ian and his staff and get a general overview of the track, how you will spend your day…etc…etc

There seem to be (5) classes: novice, intermediate1, intermediate 2, advanced and instructors. Each group has there individual group class time and group track time
[font=Times New Roman] I personally went to (3) novice classes… (approx 30 minutes each) and (4) novice on track runs… (approx 25 minutes each).

The novice classes begin with track basics (flags, track protocol, the line etc). They make a point of instilling the fear of God in you…. as the track can truly be a dangerous place…..if you do not show it the respect it definitely deserves. I saw (2) accidents. One was an intermediate driver who spun out on a turn… and basically took out the whole driver’s side of his WRX …after hitting a guard wall. He was fine….the car...wasn't

The track is a busy place and …. you find yourself always …doing something or having to get to the next …. Class/Track Time. The days goes by fast and there are many different cars and people of varied levels to chat with and learn from.

The biggest key to me….. was the instructor!!!!!!!! I was extremely fortunate to get and keep mine for all the sessions. He was knowledgeable, informative, friendly….. pushed me when necessary, complimented and corrected me when appropriate…. and made the experience…. Outstanding!!!! I felt like part of a team… and after each race he spent time talking to me…. answering any questions I had…. and pointing out what I should be looking to investigate/correct…on our next run. The one on one instruction is…. priceless. I could feel the changes in my comfort level and my driving skill as ..the day progressed.

My group consisted of about 14 cars.... a Viper , a Masseratti , a Lotus Espirit , several WRX’s, a few M3’s and if I recall an Audi..Passing was only allowed on The Main Straight and the No Name Straight…therefore my MINI was totally outclassed in regards to speed..in the straights…It did well in the turns but the layout of the track is not twisties….where a MINI excels…..instead… the track is mostly long sweeping turns…with straight runs before and after these turns. The MINI rides the line well, takes the corners like a pro…. but it seems like your standing still….. on the straights. Driving at speed ….on a track….. is like nothing I’ve ever experienced before. It’s all about rhythm… and the best analogy I can come up with is snow skiing.
If you snow ski…you know when you’re…. in the groove. The turns are effortless and smooth.
I was lucky enough to experience that @ this first track day.

Another important point is to let your instructor take you out in your car...to show you what it can do …then have him take you out in his car…. Of the (4) runs the 3rd was the most productive and I felt the best then.

I was really tired on the last run…and missed a few apexes that I hit well during previous runs. Knowing when to call it a day…. is very important and prudent.

Well I’m already enrolled for the next track day at Pocono Raceway on July 16th. I’m… “hooked”…I guess....lol

Peace,
D 8)

Last edited by d-mini-ero; 06-13-2004 at 05:48 PM.
Old 06-13-2004, 06:09 PM
gt6
5th Gear
Great write-up!! Not much to add to that at all. Glad you had a fun, informative and productive learning experience. No matter how many times you do this sort of activity, there is always something new to learn and/or a part of the track to work on and try to conquer. Keep your eyes and mind open.

Old 06-14-2004, 12:03 AM
tontobird
5th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It was a perfect day for the track, sunny, not too hot. Dennis, it was a pleasure to meet you. Though I'd seen you on at least one run, don't believe we'd ever actually met.

Normally, my third session is my best. This time, I had my best session last. Unusual for me, because I'm tired from the day's previous sessions. I took a good 2-3 laps to warm up and get my mental self focused. I didn't let the other cars rush me. I am happy to say that I was very smooth and consistent, lots of self talk, O.K., look to the next turn, full throttle here, breathe, eyes out for the flag stations, etc. All of the stuff that I've been learning, but that doesn't come naturally.

My instructor was pretty quiet the last session, just a few reminders, pointed out some inconsistencies. Interestingly enough, after having been quiet for a little bit, he asked me if I was looking ahead. He could tell that I was by my driving!

I started the day thinking it would be forever before I would be comfortable without an instructor on the track with me. I ended the day able to imagine it in the foreseeable future.

I had the instructor from the WRX wipe-out guy, for my last 2 sessions. The fellow was doing great, there was a patch of some liquid or something that he spun out on. They remembered the lap before seeing another Subaru behaving strangely through that area, next lap it was them. The driver had a video set up, reviewed it with the instructor and Ian, and could find no fault of the driver. Just one of those things. Yes, there is risk. This instructor has been instructing since '97 and has had only two occasions where a student made contact with something. This past day, June 12th, was the second time, the first time was very minor. That's 7 years, hundreds of students, 2 incidents.

It was great to hang with other MINI aficionados. We had a few people come out for part of the day to offer support and enjoy the track day camaraderie.

Altogether, a very satisfying day!

Old 06-14-2004, 04:17 AM
d-mini-ero
6th Gear
Thanks Ken and Michelle....it was great to MEET U BOTH !!!!

It was a great day....
and
I'm ready to.... return

I've been driving around try'n to hit the apexes of turns...rofl....
too funny.
I think I got the "line" down from my home to.....Starbucks

Peace,
D 8)

Old 06-14-2004, 04:53 AM
dandp
6th Gear
Nice writeup Dennis....looking forward to Pocono.

Old 06-14-2004, 07:09 AM
d-mini-ero
6th Gear
As per GT6's request I moved this thread to....general discussion....

Peace,
D 8)

Old 06-17-2004, 07:59 AM
d-mini-ero
6th Gear
Here's a pic o the day

http://members.roadfly.com/iminiero/trackday.jpg
Peace,
D 8)

Last edited by d-mini-ero; 06-17-2004 at 08:03 AM.
Old 07-20-2004, 12:26 AM
tontobird
5th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
About that WRX....

At Pocono on the 16th, talked to a fellow who referred me to this video:

http://www.minircdude.com/videos/WRX_Crash_LimeRock.wmv

Happy ending: http://skifreakz.com/track/repair/

Threads: http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=591148

http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/show...4&page=1&pp=25

This took place on June 12 at Lime Rock when a number of us were there.