Factory JCW Talk (2009+) Discussion of the factory-built 2nd Gen JCW MINI Cooper S, and all unique aspects of this trim.

All Seasons

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2013, 04:58 PM
BubbaJCW
4th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
All Seasons

Hey guys n gals,
Wanted to pick a few minds about tires and haven't seen any threads about this question.

I'm in a '14 FJCW Clubman
Attachment 80750
So I'm running the factory performance tires.
And so far everything is great, what could possibly be wrong with a MINI anyway?
I just ordered and received these tires for winter.
205/45R-17 Bridgestone Blizzak LM-60 RFT
Also ordered another set of 17 challenge spokes from the dealer, that way ill match and keep the look year round.

So I'm really set I guess.
But one question I couldn't get answered when buying the car, wheels or rims was.....why can't we run the 17 All Seasons like what's on the S models?
My wife's '12MCS has them and they seems ok in the winter.
Oh, my location is western 'burbs of Chicago.
Is the JCW that much more powerful that the All Seasons wouldn't hold up?

Just curious as I am following the guidelines as they were told to me when ordering.
They warned me that I would need a second set of tires/rims!

Oh, and the wife wants her MINI posted too!

All Seasons-image-2656113964.jpg

Old 09-12-2013, 05:17 PM
aldito2
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
if you're going with all seasons I'd recommend the Conti Extreme Contact. Those tires are amazing in all temperatures. They are real all seasons (I've had a tire shop for years and I ran them on my own car).

If you can get winter tires then get them. They'll always be better than all seasons in the winter (snow), and then you can have summer tires in the summer which will always grip better than all seasons.

In conclusion, all seasons are good if you want a tire that you can run all year round, but if you want a tire that can out perform in the summer then get the winters.
bfg g force sport comp 2 and they're lovely and cheap ..

hope this helps.

Old 09-12-2013, 07:02 PM
rhettjstone
Neutral
Ditto on the Conti Extreme Contact (http://simpletire.com/continental-co...-contact-tires). The Blizzak is an excellent tire too, but the Conti is a really high quality tire that drives and handles better than you would expect out of a winter tire.

Old 09-16-2013, 11:38 AM
AAONMS
2nd Gear
My 2¢:
Bridgestone RE960AS in Runflat or, if willing to go to 215/45117, look at RE970AS for non Runflats

Old 09-16-2013, 12:32 PM
aldito2
3rd Gear
Re970as are great summers but they aren't all seasons...

Old 09-16-2013, 02:37 PM
AAONMS
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by aldito2
Re970as are great summers but they aren't all seasons...
Sure they are – the AS in the designation is for ‘All Season’.
Don’t believe me, go to TireRack: http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....omCompare1=yes

From the TrieRack Site:
The Potenza RE970AS Pole Position is Bridgestone's flagship Ultra High Performance All-Season tire developed for drivers looking to combine high speed capability with all-season traction for sophisticated sports cars, sporty coupes and high performance sedans. The Potenza RE970AS Pole Position is designed to provide predictable handling, traction and control on dry and wet roads, as well as in light snow.
The Potenza RE970AS Pole Position molds a new all-season rubber compound into a directional tread design that combines responsiveness on dry roads with traction in wet and wintry driving conditions. Notched shoulders, stable tread blocks and a continuous center rib increase tread stiffness to deliver responsive steering, predictable handling and at-the-limit braking on dry roads. A series of circumferential and lateral grooves help pump water and slush through the tire's footprint to enhance hydroplaning resistance, wet road and light snow traction.

---
I have no firsthand experience with the RE970AS; however I had a set of RE960AS before they became the Runflat version.
My experience was that they gave up little, if anything, to a summer tire, worked well in the wet, and had great tread life.

Old 09-16-2013, 03:43 PM
aldito2
3rd Gear
From someone who owns a tire shop I can say I'd never recommend them as a tire to run in winter especially not on a JCW. The jcw has problems getting power to the ground on my very good summer tires with a hard launch... In the winter the composite isn't good enough. The conti dws is a far superior tire to any summer or all season IMO... But to each his own in preference there's no right or wrong

Old 09-18-2013, 01:01 AM
Daphnee
1st Gear
We had Bridgestone Blizzaks for our 2009 JCW and have just ordered a set for our 2013 JCW. They are the best! We were in Chamonix, France and while others were stuck on a small incline, we drove right past them without slipping or sliding. We made it to the parking area, and then were able to enjoy the skiing and fresh powder! Blizzaks ROCK!

Old 09-18-2013, 03:55 AM
veggivet
6th Gear
Received 110 Likes on 95 Posts
Blizzaks rule winter, and the Conti Exreme Contacts are a close second. I don't compromise when it comes to tire choices for my MINIs; I would never run all-seasons, though they may be fine for the non-enthusiast.

Old 09-18-2013, 02:20 PM
BubbaJCW
4th Gear
Yep I pretty much agree now
Looks like I made the correct choice too
Having the winters installed this Friday
Yes I know, maybe a bit early, but I'm having a heart surgery on Monday and won't be driving for 2 to 4 weeks
Mid October will be mid to lower 50's here

Thanks guys

Old 09-19-2013, 08:43 AM
vicj
3rd Gear
I disagree. I run two different sets if tires on my M car, but on my JCW, I run the New Michelin Pilot 3 all seasons. While they're not as good as the top summer tires in summer, I find they ARE as sticky as the next level down, like Hankook, or Khumho, etc. and they're great in winter...at least for the snow I see in the mid Atlantic.
Since I don't really consider a Mini a "sports" car, in the true sense of the word, even my JCW, this choice works well for me, and I only have to store tires and wheels for the BMW in my tight garage.

Last edited by vicj; 09-19-2013 at 11:16 AM.