F57 :: Convertible Talk (2016+) Cooper and Cooper S convertible (F57) discussions.

Run flats or traditional tires?

Old 08-03-2018, 06:12 PM
SavannahMan
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Run flats or traditional tires?

I saw a prior thread about Vert owners debating run flats or creative ways to carry a spare. This came to mind today when my business rental car lost a tire in the middle of nowhere, NC. I am leaning toward traditional tires and a donut spare when my ‘19 Vert S Optimo’s wear out but a Bridgestone dealer said they are now offering run flats with high mile guarantees. Does anybody have aftermarket run flats or traditional tires they really like? While I was at the tire shop having my rental repaired today they strongly recommended traditional Duro Turn tires, which I never heard of. Would welcome your input.

Old 08-04-2018, 04:19 AM
NBCGLX
2nd Gear
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
EDIT: This only applies to the Cooper; Cooper S and JCW models don’t have room for the spare due to the exhaust.

I hate run flats, with a passion. Tried to opt out of them with our '19 F57, but MINI eliminated that option unless we wanted the base 15" wheels (no thanks). The good news is that the F57's prior to 2019 all had factory spare tires. Retrofit is relatively affordable and there are threads found via a quick Google search that will show you the part #'s and how to do the retrofit. I may or may not get around to it at some point. Personally, I'm ditching the run flats after this summer. The factory wheels will become my winter wheels and in the spring I'll get new wheels and non-run flats. Our other car has regular tires and no spare, and it's not the first time we've had a car like that. Flats suck, but that's why we have roadside assistance. Or, at least that's how I look at it!

Last edited by NBCGLX; 08-05-2018 at 07:19 AM.
Old 08-04-2018, 10:16 PM
Mad Mini 19
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just got back from a 4700mi. trip out west. On most of the road surfaces that we encountered, the "run-flats" were quite noisy and rode rough. Thought about a donut spare, but with the limited space in the trunk, it would take up a lot of cargo space(we also lay the back seats down so we can stack a wheeled suitcase on it). We're OLD and carry a lot! So the spare for me would be ineffective. We've got the '19 S vert also. Good luck with your decision, I will watch this thread to see if anyone else comes up with a good idea/option. Mac

Old 08-07-2018, 03:47 AM
contented
2nd Gear
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
We have a 2017 F57 S convertible. It came new w/ all season 16" Pirelli P Zero 195/55/16 runflat tires. It did not come w/ a separate spare. I was new to Minis and runflat tires. After two years and 28k miles I offer the following. First, the runflats don't handle near as well as a regular tire, I assume due to the stiff sidewall. I didn't find the ride objectionable or overly noisy. Re: noise, convertibles are just noisy. It's how it is. I can say that our Mini is much quieter than the Miata we traded on it. After a trip to the Cherohala Skyway I came to understand the real weakness of the runflats, i.e. handling. They just don't do well on curvy, twisty, hard charging situations. For me, the handling deficiencies and the second tread face puncture was the final straw. At 14k miles I replaced the Pirellis w/ Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3. Night and day difference in handling, with some improvement in ride. When these a/s Michelins get replaced, I'm moving up to 17" wheels and 205/45/17 Michelin Pilot Super Sports which is a high performance summer only tire. I carry a can of Quick Spair, supposedly sensor safe, for emergencies.

Personally I think runflats have their place. Heck, they put them on new Corvettes. If my wife was the main driver of our F57 it would have runflats for sure. IMHO, it all depends on how you drive. I'm the main driver and have modded the car for handling.

Good luck and enjoy your Minis.

I

Old 08-21-2018, 07:13 PM
TexasMini17
1st Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I have a BMW Z4 that had run flats, my wife's X1 had run flats, and my 2017 JCW 'vert has run flats. Notice the past tense regarding the other two vehicles. I believe standard tires handle better and just feel better on the road. Run flat tires have their place, but try to get them replaced in a pinch. We got a flat on the day of our son's wedding - Discount Tire said it would take several hours for them to get one in stock. We just didn't have time to deal with it. We have AAA for a reason. I will likely go to a "standard" tire when the JCW needs its shoes replaced.

Old 08-22-2018, 04:44 AM
Whine not Walnuts
OVERDRIVE
Received 603 Likes on 541 Posts
Life is full of chances and a car tire is not much different than most other car parts when it comes down to whether they are going to fail. I ditched my runflats and have a road kit with some tire plugs, a can of green goop that pumps into the tire if I need it along with a 12 volt compressor.

I wish I was as lucky with the lottery as I am with my tires . . . . . . .

Old 08-22-2018, 06:28 AM
Mini_Vinnie
Received 213 Likes on 175 Posts
You dont realize how bad of a ride your Mini is with run flats until you take them off. I ditched mine this summer and wish I would have done it in 2016 when I got my Mini

https://myredmini.com/firestone-fire...ndy-500-tires/

The following users liked this post:
NBCGLX (08-22-2018)
Old 08-23-2018, 06:43 AM
G26okie
2nd Gear
Received 35 Likes on 20 Posts
I have these as my oem tires: https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires...top%202%20Door

Run flat Pirelli Cinturato P7 ultra high performance summer. Honestly, they are noisier and stiffer than non run flats, but I seem to be getting some good life out of them and since I commute 35 miles each way per day for work, I will probably stick with them. I like that I won't be stranded on the highway on my commute and that I will be able to drive to the dealer for a replacement should I need to.

Old 08-23-2018, 07:03 AM
Qik420
4th Gear
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
I've had a few different tires since ditching the run flats and all were better in every aspect (Pilot SS's, Comp 2's and now on some Proxes A/S's) . Ride, handling, road noise, all are improved compared to run flats. Like Whine not Walnuts I keep a pump, 2 cans of Fix A Flat (TPMS Safe), and a plug kit in the boot. I've used the kit twice (nail and a screw) and both times I was able to just fill the tire using the pump and the fill lasted long enough for me to get home without the TPMS light coming on and plug the tire when I got there. I work 24 miles away from home. If you don't think you're able to plug and fill your own tire or squirt a can of fix a flat into it, get run flats. If you're at least semi handy get regular tires. You'll have a better handling/riding car at less than half the price run flats.

Old 08-23-2018, 06:11 PM
RockC
3rd Gear
Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts
Originally Posted by G26okie View Post
I have these as my oem tires: https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires...top%202%20Door

Run flat Pirelli Cinturato P7 ultra high performance summer. Honestly, they are noisier and stiffer than non run flats, but I seem to be getting some good life out of them and since I commute 35 miles each way per day for work, I will probably stick with them. I like that I won't be stranded on the highway on my commute and that I will be able to drive to the dealer for a replacement should I need to.
Pretty much in the same boat with my 2018 JCW. Have a 30+ mile each way daily commute and while I am amazed out how noisy the run flats are -- they are loud! -- they appear to be wearing ok -- with just over 8K miles on them and at least if I get a flat tire I can limp to a dealer and get a replacement tire.