North American Motoring

North American Motoring (https://www.northamericanmotoring.com/forums/)
-   F57 :: Convertible Talk (2016+) (https://www.northamericanmotoring.com/forums/f57-convertible-talk-2016-453/)
-   -   F57 Run flats or traditional tires? (https://www.northamericanmotoring.com/forums/f57-convertible-talk-2016/330261-run-flats-or-traditional-tires.html)

SavannahMan 08-03-2018 06:12 PM

Run flats or traditional tires?

I saw a prior thread about Vert owners debating run flats or creative ways to carry a spare. This came to mind today when my business rental car lost a tire in the middle of nowhere, NC. I am leaning toward traditional tires and a donut spare when my ‘19 Vert S Optimo’s wear out but a Bridgestone dealer said they are now offering run flats with high mile guarantees. Does anybody have aftermarket run flats or traditional tires they really like? While I was at the tire shop having my rental repaired today they strongly recommended traditional Duro Turn tires, which I never heard of. Would welcome your input.

NBCGLX 08-04-2018 04:19 AM

EDIT: This only applies to the Cooper; Cooper S and JCW models don’t have room for the spare due to the exhaust.

I hate run flats, with a passion. Tried to opt out of them with our '19 F57, but MINI eliminated that option unless we wanted the base 15" wheels (no thanks). The good news is that the F57's prior to 2019 all had factory spare tires. Retrofit is relatively affordable and there are threads found via a quick Google search that will show you the part #'s and how to do the retrofit. I may or may not get around to it at some point. Personally, I'm ditching the run flats after this summer. The factory wheels will become my winter wheels and in the spring I'll get new wheels and non-run flats. Our other car has regular tires and no spare, and it's not the first time we've had a car like that. Flats suck, but that's why we have roadside assistance. Or, at least that's how I look at it!

Mad Mini 19 08-04-2018 10:16 PM

Just got back from a 4700mi. trip out west. On most of the road surfaces that we encountered, the "run-flats" were quite noisy and rode rough. Thought about a donut spare, but with the limited space in the trunk, it would take up a lot of cargo space(we also lay the back seats down so we can stack a wheeled suitcase on it). We're OLD and carry a lot! So the spare for me would be ineffective. We've got the '19 S vert also. Good luck with your decision, I will watch this thread to see if anyone else comes up with a good idea/option. Mac:popcorn:

contented 08-07-2018 03:47 AM

We have a 2017 F57 S convertible. It came new w/ all season 16" Pirelli P Zero 195/55/16 runflat tires. It did not come w/ a separate spare. I was new to Minis and runflat tires. After two years and 28k miles I offer the following. First, the runflats don't handle near as well as a regular tire, I assume due to the stiff sidewall. I didn't find the ride objectionable or overly noisy. Re: noise, convertibles are just noisy. It's how it is. I can say that our Mini is much quieter than the Miata we traded on it. After a trip to the Cherohala Skyway I came to understand the real weakness of the runflats, i.e. handling. They just don't do well on curvy, twisty, hard charging situations. For me, the handling deficiencies and the second tread face puncture was the final straw. At 14k miles I replaced the Pirellis w/ Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3. Night and day difference in handling, with some improvement in ride. When these a/s Michelins get replaced, I'm moving up to 17" wheels and 205/45/17 Michelin Pilot Super Sports which is a high performance summer only tire. I carry a can of Quick Spair, supposedly sensor safe, for emergencies.

Personally I think runflats have their place. Heck, they put them on new Corvettes. If my wife was the main driver of our F57 it would have runflats for sure. IMHO, it all depends on how you drive. I'm the main driver and have modded the car for handling.

Good luck and enjoy your Minis.

I

TexasMini17 08-21-2018 07:13 PM

I have a BMW Z4 that had run flats, my wife's X1 had run flats, and my 2017 JCW 'vert has run flats. Notice the past tense regarding the other two vehicles. I believe standard tires handle better and just feel better on the road. Run flat tires have their place, but try to get them replaced in a pinch. We got a flat on the day of our son's wedding - Discount Tire said it would take several hours for them to get one in stock. We just didn't have time to deal with it. We have AAA for a reason. I will likely go to a "standard" tire when the JCW needs its shoes replaced.

Whine not Walnuts 08-22-2018 04:44 AM

Life is full of chances and a car tire is not much different than most other car parts when it comes down to whether they are going to fail. I ditched my runflats and have a road kit with some tire plugs, a can of green goop that pumps into the tire if I need it along with a 12 volt compressor.

I wish I was as lucky with the lottery as I am with my tires . . . . . . .

Mini_Vinnie 08-22-2018 06:28 AM

You dont realize how bad of a ride your Mini is with run flats until you take them off. I ditched mine this summer and wish I would have done it in 2016 when I got my Mini

https://myredmini.com/firestone-fire...ndy-500-tires/

G26okie 08-23-2018 06:43 AM

I have these as my oem tires: https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires...top%202%20Door

Run flat Pirelli Cinturato P7 ultra high performance summer. Honestly, they are noisier and stiffer than non run flats, but I seem to be getting some good life out of them and since I commute 35 miles each way per day for work, I will probably stick with them. I like that I won't be stranded on the highway on my commute and that I will be able to drive to the dealer for a replacement should I need to.

Qik420 08-23-2018 07:03 AM

I've had a few different tires since ditching the run flats and all were better in every aspect (Pilot SS's, Comp 2's and now on some Proxes A/S's) . Ride, handling, road noise, all are improved compared to run flats. Like Whine not Walnuts I keep a pump, 2 cans of Fix A Flat (TPMS Safe), and a plug kit in the boot. I've used the kit twice (nail and a screw) and both times I was able to just fill the tire using the pump and the fill lasted long enough for me to get home without the TPMS light coming on and plug the tire when I got there. I work 24 miles away from home. If you don't think you're able to plug and fill your own tire or squirt a can of fix a flat into it, get run flats. If you're at least semi handy get regular tires. You'll have a better handling/riding car at less than half the price run flats.

RockC 08-23-2018 06:11 PM

Originally Posted by G26okie (Post 4415801)
I have these as my oem tires: https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires...top%202%20Door

Run flat Pirelli Cinturato P7 ultra high performance summer. Honestly, they are noisier and stiffer than non run flats, but I seem to be getting some good life out of them and since I commute 35 miles each way per day for work, I will probably stick with them. I like that I won't be stranded on the highway on my commute and that I will be able to drive to the dealer for a replacement should I need to.

Pretty much in the same boat with my 2018 JCW. Have a 30+ mile each way daily commute and while I am amazed out how noisy the run flats are -- they are loud! -- they appear to be wearing ok -- with just over 8K miles on them and at least if I get a flat tire I can limp to a dealer and get a replacement tire.

SavannahMan 08-04-2019 05:10 PM

I appreciate all the comments.
I still have tread at 29k miles so I haven’t yet made a tire decision. I had a tread puncture last week which Savannah Tire plugged for less than $30. I didn’t ask if they had runflats in stock should I have needed one but I did feel at the mercy of the repair center. Luckily there was one or two techs with experience and confidence repairing runflats. Out of curiosity called Tire Rack. They quoted a runflat Pirelli Cent. 7 A/S for $184 and a non-run flat Vredessen Q track A/S for $112. Apparently the Hankook Optimo’s on the car are dealer only tire. With the cost of a compressor, sealant and plugs there may not be a big price difference between runflats and traditional tires. But the ride/ noise/ issues would still be a concern. I’m also now wondering if runflats are more vulnerable to punctures. My dealer recommends NOT rotating the tires, just moving the rears forward when time to replace the front runflats. Not sure if this approach could save rotation costs with non runflats, too.

Capt_bj 08-05-2019 08:11 AM

tire rack lists the hankook but says they are currently on backorder. IME when they have been discontinued, Tire Rack SAYS that. 'dealer only'?

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires...lar=Cooper%20S

I just put the Bridgestone Driveguards on our R59

SavannahMan 08-05-2019 01:37 PM

Originally Posted by Capt_bj (Post 4486385)
tire rack lists the hankook but says they are currently on backorder. IME when they have been discontinued, Tire Rack SAYS that. 'dealer only'?

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires...lar=Cooper%20S

I just put the Bridgestone Driveguards on our R59

Thanks Capt bj. I,d be interested in your opinion when you put some miles on the Driveguards.

Capt_bj 08-10-2019 01:51 PM

have had the DG on for about a month

it is the Mrs car .... I don't drive it much

but I did today and have no complaints

most important point to remember is

'all season' vs 'summer high performance'

an all season is always gonna feel 'softer' than a 'summer high performance' .... summer compounds are sticky but get like ROCKS in cold ..... all seasons adjust.

but this has already been discussed HUNDREDS of times here on NAM .....

So I'll just say we're happy with the Bridgestone Driveguard after a month of soft use ......

(p.s. got the Bridgestones thru a FireStone dealer and they have some 'deals' if you sign up for their credit card ..... sign up, get the deal and pay off in full .... done deal)

SavannahMan 08-10-2019 02:52 PM

Thanks again, Capt bj. I went back and forth about a compressor, sealant, donut spare, etc., but took the path of least resistance and put DG’s on as well. Initial impressions - they seem a little softer than the original Hankook Optimo’s. Price seemed pretty good - $600 plus tax for 4, plus tax then a $70 rebate. I’ve got my fingers crossed for reasonable comfort, decent mpg and no flats.
One oddity in my experience. My dealer originally told me not to rotate the tires and when the fronts wear out move the rears forward and put the new rubber in the rear. But the tire place said the chamber setting wore the rears lower on the inside edges, which would likely cause a louder and possibly quirky handling experience. I put on 4 tires for a fresh start.
What are others doing regarding rotations??
Something so simple shouldn’t be so hard. ��

RockC 08-22-2019 05:45 PM

Originally Posted by SavannahMan (Post 4487266)
Thanks again, Capt bj. I went back and forth about a compressor, sealant, donut spare, etc., but took the path of least resistance and put DG’s on as well. Initial impressions - they seem a little softer than the original Hankook Optimo’s. Price seemed pretty good - $600 plus tax for 4, plus tax then a $70 rebate. I’ve got my fingers crossed for reasonable comfort, decent mpg and no flats.
One oddity in my experience. My dealer originally told me not to rotate the tires and when the fronts wear out move the rears forward and put the new rubber in the rear. But the tire place said the chamber setting wore the rears lower on the inside edges, which would likely cause a louder and possibly quirky handling experience. I put on 4 tires for a fresh start.
What are others doing regarding rotations??
Something so simple shouldn’t be so hard. ��

The runflats on my 2018 JCW were rotated at 10K miles as part of the (free!) 10K mile service. The tires didn't need to be rotated I might add. Tire wear was quite even front to back and across the the tread faces.

Closing in on 20K miles and I guess another 10K mile service. This time the tires need to be rotated. The front tires show more wear than the rears. Still even wear but I've been a bit of a bad boy and have been driving the JCW with a bit more enthusiasm, if you know what I mean and I think you do (I found the "sport" mode switch!), and the front tires have suffered some.

I really prefer to drive a car in such a way tire wear front to back and side to side is even to avoid having to rotate the tires. Just me I guess but I feel the less loosening/tightening the wheel lugs are subjected to the better.

In your car's case if the front tires wear out before the rears not sure I'd move the rear tires to the front and put the new tires on the rear. I have to point out the front tires steer the car, move the car down the road, and do most of the braking. It seems wrong to me to move partially worn rear tires to the front and put the new tires on the rear.

Thus my recommendation is if the front tires wear out replace the front tires. Leave the rear tires alone. Then at some point -- maybe even as long away as when the front tires need to be replaced again -- replace the rear tires.

Capt_bj 08-23-2019 10:46 AM

I have a theory that MINI says 'do not rotate' because if they recommended it, they'd have to cover it under pre-paid maintenance and they don't want to do that and never did since day one (I bought my first in 2002)

I rotate regularly. I have a good jack and a compressor for an air gun and a torque wrench and rotating the tires takes very lil time. Now that I replaced the tires the place I got 'em from has free rotations too .....

and during rotation is the perfect time to eye ball pad wear and look for any fluid leaks, torn boots etc etc.

From Tire Rack ..... :

Many tire mileage warranties require tire rotation to keep the warranty valid. When should tires be rotated? We recommend that tires be rotated every 3,000 to 5,000 miles even if they don't show signs of wear. Tire rotation can often be done with oil change intervals while the vehicle is off the ground. This can also be a good time to have your tires rebalanced if the vehicle has developed a vibration. It's also a good time to inspect the tires for any damage, remove stones or debris from the tire treads, check for uneven wear by checking the tire tread depth and of course, checking your tire pressure.

Tire rotation helps even out tire wear by allowing each tire to serve in as many of the vehicle's wheel positions as possible. Remember, tire rotation can't correct wear problems due to worn mechanical parts or incorrect inflation pressures.

While vehicles are typically equipped with four tires, usually the tires on the front axle need to accomplish very different tasks than the tires on the rear axle. The tasks encountered on a front-wheel drive vehicle are considerably different than those of a rear-wheel drive vehicle. Tire wear experienced on a performance vehicle will usually be more severe than that of a family sedan. Each wheel position can cause different wear rates and different types of tire wear.

SavannahMan 08-29-2019 07:19 AM

All good comments. My dealer service advisor said because the rear end of MINIs are so light that the best tires there will add stability during emergency situations. I intend to confirm that again when I have my next oil change, coming soon. I had a pretty dismal experience with my tire purchase. - grease on all 4 tires, some rim scratching, 4 different pressures and missing one valve stem cap. Based on the message on my invoice I returned to have my lug torque checked. Never did this before. It appeared my front lugs needed tightening - - and driving control is actually sharper. Bottom line, I wish I would have just gone to the dealer. I know i’d Have paid more but I have learned to trust their work. Since I am relatively new to my area I am now wondering if I should trust an independent service provider or just bite the bullet and use the dealer.
overall, the Driveguards seem softer but a little less responsive than my OEM Hankook Optimo’s.
thanks again for the helpful comments.

BrianDavid0523 01-22-2020 05:28 AM

I put Bridgestone run-flats on my mini a few years ago - I have almost 40K miles on them. The new run-flats are much better now at getting more miles out of them. However, the ones you get from the Mini dealer are ******** - they get 16K miles at best! I once had a Mini that I put regular tires on, and it regretted it immediately - it felt like I had castrated the car.