F55/F56 :: Hatch Talk (2014+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (F55/F56) hatchback discussions.

F55/F56 Allergies in Car

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2019, 10:23 AM
ranger052
2nd Gear
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Allergies in Car

Hi guys,

About 6 months ago I started having allergies. Coincidental I also replaced the all the AC and Car filters during that time at the dealer, I have been to a bunch of different doctors and taken a lot of tests and no one seems to figure out what is wrong. To make the story short, my car was at the dealer for the past 3 days, they were replacing something on the engine and also oil and filter, in the meanwhile I was driving a loaner and during that time I had no issues. I pick up my car today and 30 minutes into my drive boom the allergies are back, liek WTF!!!!

I am inclined to believe the AC filters are the issue and my question is, is there any product I could purchase to help me clean the AC ? or any guides on how to replace the AC filters?

Thank you all

Old 07-20-2019, 10:27 AM
Minnie.the.Moocher
OVERDRIVE
Received 570 Likes on 486 Posts
Newtis.info for replacement guide.

Possible mold in system.

Old 07-20-2019, 01:21 PM
2017All4
Super Moderator
Received 507 Likes on 383 Posts
Originally Posted by ranger052
Hi guys,

About 6 months ago I started having allergies. Coincidental I also replaced the all the AC and Car filters during that time at the dealer, I have been to a bunch of different doctors and taken a lot of tests and no one seems to figure out what is wrong. To make the story short, my car was at the dealer for the past 3 days, they were replacing something on the engine and also oil and filter, in the meanwhile I was driving a loaner and during that time I had no issues. I pick up my car today and 30 minutes into my drive boom the allergies are back, liek WTF!!!!

I am inclined to believe the AC filters are the issue and my question is, is there any product I could purchase to help me clean the AC ? or any guides on how to replace the AC filters?

Thank you all
KNOWN ISSUE

There is a service protocol for the A/C, involving a special cleaning fluid. Also, some units were known for water build up, which, of course, can lead to mold and other allergens. Some have had carpet replaced due to effects of leakage from the A/C system. Your dealer should have all the info regarding service bulletins on this.

Old 07-20-2019, 02:14 PM
Warren2185
3rd Gear
Received 35 Likes on 29 Posts
I've had my brand new 2019 for 4 months and the A/C has been on constantly from day one of ownership. I live in Orlando and then June kicks in and the humidity and temperature get oppressive, through the roof. I park in my small garage and it utterly cooks in there. And it's super hot and humid as heck after I close the door. Sure enough, I start getting the blast of moldy smell every morning on start-up but it's only noticeable for two minutes at most, then I don't smell it, but if it was mold, it's still in there. I didn't have a super-strong nasal allergy reaction, but I'm near certain I was at least having some allergy reaction to it.

I go to the dealer and they're vague as to how they clean or reach the condenser or heat exchanger (whatever you want to call it) because I'm thinking that's where the mold is, and it's hard as heck to get at. I had this problem on an older car and it's a nightmare to address cleaning that condensor in the dash.

The dealer repair summary did say they pulled the micro air filter and found mold, they circulated that ridiculously strong mint toothpaste smelling cleaning vapor/solution through the system and said I'd be fine. I was skeptical. That mint smell went away completely pretty fast but it's laughable how strong it was.

Right away I also pulled the trigger on putting in a HomeDepot mini split air-conditioner (MrCool) just for my garage because a couple reasons: that mold build up can be such a thorny issue and if it's part of the problem, it could happen with future cars too. Plus, I hope to be in my house for many years and hated that hot garage every time you pull a car into it. So I'm hoping the climate controlled garage will help pull the humidity off the condensor in the dash (I know there is a drain there too). It's been a week and the humidity control is awesome. I do have a gauge. The smell hasn't come back but sometimes it takes a little more than a week so I'm crossing my fingers. No allergy reaction that I've noticed either.

So I sympathize with you and believe it can be an allergy issue. It's interesting that my dealer saw mold on the filter, so maybe it was not actually molding in the condensor coil fins at all. That would be helpful if the mold was from the filter, not the fins. Easier to address. I was pondering whether I needed a micro filter anyway if it's any type of mold risk. Regular dust isn't a real problem and it gets in your car all the time through open windows and doors etc. I had a Kia Sorento that I removed the cabin blower motor, cut away portions of the plastic housing box to reveal the condensor (I cut about half inch above the bottom so when water pooled it wouldn't leak through the cut, but go down the drain tube first) , washed and bleached it as best I could, put a shim to hold the condensor off the bottom of the housing. It was a nightmare to access and I can't even remember how effective it was.

Best of luck because I know it's annoying

Old 07-21-2019, 09:22 AM
ranger052
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by Minnie.the.Moocher
Newtis.info for replacement guide.

Possible mold in system.
Thank you

Old 07-21-2019, 09:24 AM
ranger052
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by 2017All4
KNOWN ISSUE

There is a service protocol for the A/C, involving a special cleaning fluid. Also, some units were known for water build up, which, of course, can lead to mold and other allergens. Some have had carpet replaced due to effects of leakage from the A/C system. Your dealer should have all the info regarding service bulletins on this.
Thank you so much for the info, my car has had water build up in the trunk 2 times already and the dealer has cleaned and replaced the carpets 2 times. Tomorrow morning I will definitely call the dealer and get an appointment for the AC.

Old 07-21-2019, 09:26 AM
ranger052
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by Warren2185
I've had my brand new 2019 for 4 months and the A/C has been on constantly from day one of ownership. I live in Orlando and then June kicks in and the humidity and temperature get oppressive, through the roof. I park in my small garage and it utterly cooks in there. And it's super hot and humid as heck after I close the door. Sure enough, I start getting the blast of moldy smell every morning on start-up but it's only noticeable for two minutes at most, then I don't smell it, but if it was mold, it's still in there. I didn't have a super-strong nasal allergy reaction, but I'm near certain I was at least having some allergy reaction to it.

I go to the dealer and they're vague as to how they clean or reach the condenser or heat exchanger (whatever you want to call it) because I'm thinking that's where the mold is, and it's hard as heck to get at. I had this problem on an older car and it's a nightmare to address cleaning that condensor in the dash.

The dealer repair summary did say they pulled the micro air filter and found mold, they circulated that ridiculously strong mint toothpaste smelling cleaning vapor/solution through the system and said I'd be fine. I was skeptical. That mint smell went away completely pretty fast but it's laughable how strong it was.

Right away I also pulled the trigger on putting in a HomeDepot mini split air-conditioner (MrCool) just for my garage because a couple reasons: that mold build up can be such a thorny issue and if it's part of the problem, it could happen with future cars too. Plus, I hope to be in my house for many years and hated that hot garage every time you pull a car into it. So I'm hoping the climate controlled garage will help pull the humidity off the condensor in the dash (I know there is a drain there too). It's been a week and the humidity control is awesome. I do have a gauge. The smell hasn't come back but sometimes it takes a little more than a week so I'm crossing my fingers. No allergy reaction that I've noticed either.

So I sympathize with you and believe it can be an allergy issue. It's interesting that my dealer saw mold on the filter, so maybe it was not actually molding in the condensor coil fins at all. That would be helpful if the mold was from the filter, not the fins. Easier to address. I was pondering whether I needed a micro filter anyway if it's any type of mold risk. Regular dust isn't a real problem and it gets in your car all the time through open windows and doors etc. I had a Kia Sorento that I removed the cabin blower motor, cut away portions of the plastic housing box to reveal the condensor (I cut about half inch above the bottom so when water pooled it wouldn't leak through the cut, but go down the drain tube first) , washed and bleached it as best I could, put a shim to hold the condensor off the bottom of the housing. It was a nightmare to access and I can't even remember how effective it was.

Best of luck because I know it's annoying

Thank you so much for all the info! I am in Miami so yes is pretty hot, wet and humid here LOL! Nice bike! I am cyclist myself jejeje.

The following users liked this post:
Warren2185 (07-21-2019)
Old 07-21-2019, 11:15 AM
Warren2185
3rd Gear
Received 35 Likes on 29 Posts
I did notice when I got the car back that the dealer had checked in the bottom of the boot. I could tell because the way I had my stuff in there was changed around. I hadn't mentioned anything other than the A/C mold smell to them. I've also read elsewhere about the boot seal leak, so they automatically must check that too I'm guessing. I thought that was interesting.

Old 07-26-2019, 08:04 PM
drhow
1st Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Sounds like might want to check lemon laws. If they can’t fix it in three or so times, you can get your money back. There are lawyers, including in Florida who do not charge you to get this done. Mold is a serious issue, and for some potential fatal.

This is known issue, and seems like in 5 years the Germans and Britts will not fix this. They should pay for their malice of forethought deeds.

Old 07-29-2019, 08:25 AM
USA-RET
6th Gear
Received 164 Likes on 127 Posts
I thought Mini resolved AC drain and filter issues after the 2015 model year. The cabin filter was supposed to be redesigned so as to not get soaked with AC drain water and develop that musty 'sweat sock" smell. Strange that it is showing up in the new cars.

One thing worth mentioning, during assembly some installs of the AC drain line (at the factory) would kink and cause the drain water to collect on the passenger side foot well (and god knows where else). Something worth checking as this is not a design flaw, but an assembly issue.

The following users liked this post:
vetsvette (07-29-2019)