F55/F56 :: Hatch Talk (2014+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (F55/F56) hatchback discussions.

F55/F56 cylinder 4 misfire & limp mode

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2018, 09:57 AM
05tuxedo
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
cylinder 4 misfire & limp mode

Hello,
need help with my buddies 2014 cooper 3 door, PLEASE (non S)

It is in limp mode & cylinder 4 is not firing, when i checked the coils they all checked good, (swapped them out with other cylinders). the problem that i am finding is that the #4 coil is not getting a signal from the harness to tell it to fire, & i was wondering if this is because it is in limp mode? & is there anyway other than the dealer to get it out of limp mode?

I have cleared the codes several times & it stays in limp mode, the cars battery was dead when i got it & it had to be charged & probably needs replaced at this point.

There are some other issues with the car, the wipers don't work & the radio isn't turning on which i assume is because the battery was dead & it locked out, all for a later post I am just concerned with the limp mode & the misfire rite now...

thanks for any help

Old 01-27-2018, 11:47 AM
USA-RET
6th Gear
Received 164 Likes on 127 Posts
I'd be surprised if the 4th cylinder did fire on a non S F56

The following 2 users liked this post by USA-RET:
Minnie.the.Moocher (01-27-2018), punkgeek (01-27-2018)
Old 01-27-2018, 11:59 AM
RockC
5th Gear
Received 211 Likes on 177 Posts
Limp mode generally is a mode in which engine RPMS are limited and possibly how hard one can accelerate is limited as well.

The #4 coil not getting a signal is not the way the engine controller limp mode works. This is a sign of a bad electrical connection or possibly a problem with the wiring harness or even the engine controller.

Check the coil to engine wiring harness connector for any signs of a connector problem.

You'll need a good light and maybe a magnifying glass to ensure every pin socket the connector pins must fit into are good. You have 3 other good connectors to use as a reference as to what a good connector - both at the coil and engine harness connector look like.

That the #4 coil works ok when at another cylinder and I assume another cylinder's coil that works ok otherwise does not work when connected to the #4 connector suggests the problem is with the wiring harness connector or with the engine controller.

Old 01-27-2018, 12:27 PM
05tuxedo
Neutral
Thanks RockC.
I will take a closer look at the plug and harness. If all that checks good is there away to check the ECU.
Originally Posted by RockC
Limp mode generally is a mode in which engine RPMS are limited and possibly how hard one can accelerate is limited as well.
The #4 coil not getting a signal is not the way the engine controller limp mode works. This is a sign of a bad electrical connection or possibly a problem with the wiring harness or even the engine controller.

Check the coil to engine wiring harness connector for any signs of a connector problem.

You'll need a good light and maybe a magnifying glass to ensure every pin socket the connector pins must fit into are good. You have 3 other good connectors to use as a reference as to what a good connector - both at the coil and engine harness connector look like.

That the #4 coil works ok when at another cylinder and I assume another cylinder's coil that works ok otherwise does not work when connected to the #4 connector suggests the problem is with the wiring harness connector or with the engine controller.

Old 01-27-2018, 04:56 PM
punkgeek
2nd Gear
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by USA-RET
I'd be surprised if the 4th cylinder did fire on a non S F56
A more serious (but way less witty) way of saying this is: A non S F56 only has three cylinders. Are you sure the car is non S and/or 2014?

Last edited by punkgeek; 01-27-2018 at 08:08 PM.
Old 01-29-2018, 03:21 PM
05tuxedo
Neutral
I checked the harnes and the plug and it all checked good. I did get a better scan tool (snap-on verdict) & I was able to find out that it is transport mode 🙁.
Now my question is does transport mode turn off or disable cylinder 4? & if so how do I get transport mode deactivated? Called the local mini shop and they had no idea what transport mode was😳. of course they wanted me to bring the car in and start a fresh diagnostics from the beginning 😬 $$$$.
Originally Posted by 05tuxedo
Thanks RockC.
I will take a closer look at the plug and harness. If all that checks good is there away to check the ECU.

Old 01-29-2018, 03:33 PM
RockC
5th Gear
Originally Posted by punkgeek
A more serious (but way less witty) way of saying this is: A non S F56 only has three cylinders. Are you sure the car is non S and/or 2014?
My initial research had the 2014 Cooper 3 door with a 4 cylinder 1.6l engine.

More research does show the 2014 Cooper 3 door comes with a 3 cylinder engine.

Not sure how the OP is determining the #4 cylinder is misfiring.

Old 01-29-2018, 03:49 PM
RockC
5th Gear
I checked the harnes and the plug and it all checked good. I did get a better scan tool (snap-on verdict) & I was able to find out that it is transport mode ��.
Now my question is does transport mode turn off or disable cylinder 4? & if so how do I get transport mode deactivated? Called the local mini shop and they had no idea what transport mode was��. of course they wanted me to bring the car in and start a fresh diagnostics from the beginning �� $$$$.
There appears to be some question as to how many cylinders, exactly, the car in question has.

I assume you can count cylinders and if you counted 4 that's good enough for me.

I do not know what transport mode is exactly for the Mini, but for other cars it is a mode that limits how much throttle the driver can give the engine. (Drive by wire throttle.) There can be other things disabled or only partially operational, too.

AFAIK all cylinders are active.

If the car is in transport mode the question of how it got in that mode is important.

A bit of research finds it can possibly be inadvertently triggered if the battery is disconnected too soon after the car engine was turned off.

A low/dead battery can possibly "glitch" the car's electronics and this may trigger transport mode.

There is the possibility some control module was damaged (or just suffered some partial failure due to age) and the behavior you are seeing is not necessarily transport mode but just a faulty control module.

If the car is truly in transport mode some Mini specific diagnostic tools can disable transport mode and restore normal mode operation. I am not yet familiar with the Mini (OBD2 and possibly other types of) diagnostic tools so I have no recommendation.

You can google "mini transport mode" and visit the hits and read about others who have encountered transport mode or something like it and maybe gather some info that could be of use to you.

Added: The Snap On Verdict is a pretty expensive tool. Does it have the European car upgrade? I would think with this it should (but no guarantees!) allow you to disable/undo transport mode and restore normal mode operation.

Last edited by RockC; 01-29-2018 at 03:54 PM. Reason: Added: The Snap On Verdict....
Old 01-29-2018, 05:45 PM
05tuxedo
Neutral
The car has 4 cylinders it is a 1.6L unless it’s an optical illusion and the 4 plug really isn’t there. & if that’s the case then this whole post was a waste of time 🙁 & if it would help I can provide the vin. I am sure that the battery is what caused it go into transport mode as it was dead when I got the car
As far as the ECU goes from what I understand you can’t just throw any ECU in the car without getting the immobilizer reprogramed with the key for the car. $$$$
Thanks for the help.
Originally Posted by RockC
There appears to be some question as to how many cylinders, exactly, the car in question has.

I assume you can count cylinders and if you counted 4 that's good enough for me.

I do not know what transport mode is exactly for the Mini, but for other cars it is a mode that limits how much throttle the driver can give the engine. (Drive by wire throttle.) There can be other things disabled or only partially operational, too.

AFAIK all cylinders are active.

If the car is in transport mode the question of how it got in that mode is important.

A bit of research finds it can possibly be inadvertently triggered if the battery is disconnected too soon after the car engine was turned off.

A low/dead battery can possibly "glitch" the car's electronics and this may trigger transport mode.

There is the possibility some control module was damaged (or just suffered some partial failure due to age) and the behavior you are seeing is not necessarily transport mode but just a faulty control module.

If the car is truly in transport mode some Mini specific diagnostic tools can disable transport mode and restore normal mode operation. I am not yet familiar with the Mini (OBD2 and possibly other types of) diagnostic tools so I have no recommendation.

You can google "mini transport mode" and visit the hits and read about others who have encountered transport mode or something like it and maybe gather some info that could be of use to you.

Added: The Snap On Verdict is a pretty expensive tool. Does it have the European car upgrade? I would think with this it should (but no guarantees!) allow you to disable/undo transport mode and restore normal mode operation.

Old 01-29-2018, 10:23 PM
TVPostSound
6th Gear
Received 517 Likes on 431 Posts
The car has 4 cylinders it is a 1.6L unless it’s an optical illusion and the 4 plug really isn’t there. & if that’s the case then this whole post was a waste of time 🙁 & if it would help I can provide the vin. I am sure that the battery is what caused it go into transport mode as it was dead when I got the car
As far as the ECU goes from what I understand you can’t just throw any ECU in the car without getting the immobilizer reprogramed with the key for the car. $$$$
Thanks for the help.
A 1.6L?
2014s and up have a 3 cyl 1.5 or a 4 cyl 2.0.
If its a 1.6 without turbo (you say its a non-S) its older than 2014.

The following users liked this post:
punkgeek (01-30-2018)