F55/F56 :: Hatch Talk (2014+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (F55/F56) hatchback discussions.

F55/F56 How to fix 1 to 2 shift? manual

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2017, 12:24 PM
phantasms
5th Gear
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
How to fix 1 to 2 shift? manual

Hey all. As I'm becoming accustomed to my new 2017 JCW I'm learning there are things I love and things I loathe. One such thing I'm not a fan of is the entire 1st to 2nd gear shift. The following reasons are why I find it to be horrible and I was hoping maybe there was a solution to some or all of them.

1. The clutch pedal comes up much slower than my foot once the shift is complete. I'm not sure what's holding it back but it's like it operates in slow motion.

2. The entire car feels like it's a giant rubberband ball when executing the shift quickly. It's as if the car is setup for someone who is new to shifting and if you do it quickly it feels like the entire thing flexes or is on the verge of being damaged instead of simply executing a nice quick smooth shift.

3. The front end hops instead of putting the power down.

4. Shifter is very sloppy. I'm still trying to get a clear answer on if there's a replacement unit that looks identical in every way to my stock JCW shifter.

While I'm on the subject the rev match is also very slow. If you execute a quick downshift and rely on the auto rev it doesn't get the revs up nearly in time. Any way to change this? Are the auto units that slow on a downshift? Sad if so.

Car is a stock 2017 JCW manual sport suspension with Dinan Elite. TC off of course. Due to the horrible shifting experience and the wave of torque it at least feels like starting in second gear could be the quickest way to get to 60. I'm sure this isn't the case but the car shouldn't feel like this is even a possibility.

Thank you all!

Best,
Gene

Old 12-16-2017, 10:28 AM
TVPostSound
6th Gear
Received 517 Likes on 431 Posts
How is #2 and #3 WITHOUT the Dinan??

I have an Auto, and the Dinan Elite completely ruined upshifts, as if the car doesn't know it has the Dinan, and dumping too much boost, causing the upshift to fall on its face.

Old 12-16-2017, 10:47 AM
2017All4
Super Moderator
Received 507 Likes on 383 Posts
VERY interested to hear what happens if the Dinan override plug is installed to cancel the Dinan inputs. After the car is driven for about an hour and "relearns" how to run in an unaltered state, is there any difference in shifting behavior?

Point being, isolate a single variable (the influence of the Dinan) and note any differences, good or bad.

Thanks in advance.

Old 12-16-2017, 11:33 AM
vetsvette
Received 450 Likes on 343 Posts
Originally Posted by phantasms
Hey all. As I'm becoming accustomed to my new 2017 JCW I'm learning there are things I love and things I loathe. One such thing I'm not a fan of is the entire 1st to 2nd gear shift. The following reasons are why I find it to be horrible and I was hoping maybe there was a solution to some or all of them.

1. The clutch pedal comes up much slower than my foot once the shift is complete. I'm not sure what's holding it back but it's like it operates in slow motion.

2. The entire car feels like it's a giant rubberband ball when executing the shift quickly. It's as if the car is setup for someone who is new to shifting and if you do it quickly it feels like the entire thing flexes or is on the verge of being damaged instead of simply executing a nice quick smooth shift.

4. Shifter is very sloppy. I'm still trying to get a clear answer on if there's a replacement unit that looks identical in every way to my stock JCW shifter.

While I'm on the subject the rev match is also very slow. If you execute a quick downshift and rely on the auto rev it doesn't get the revs up nearly in time. Any way to change this? Are the auto units that slow on a downshift? Sad if so.

Car is a stock 2017 JCW manual sport suspension with Dinan Elite. TC off of course. Due to the horrible shifting experience and the wave of torque it at least feels like starting in second gear could be the quickest way to get to 60. I'm sure this isn't the case but the car shouldn't feel like this is even a possibility.

Thank you all!

Best,
Gene
1. You need to take it to the dealer and have that checked out. Mine has the BMS Clutch Stop and it engages as soon as the pedal comes off the floor.
https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...-stop-f56.html

2. This is a result of engineers trying to isolate noise and vibration from the cabin. Can be improved by installing Powerflex Bushing in lower engine mount.
https://new.minimania.com/part/G3NME...g-Gen3-F56-F55

3. IMO the result of Mini not offering a LSD in the F cars. The "Electronic" LSD in not that efficient.

4. Answered in a couple of other threads.

Old 12-16-2017, 12:12 PM
Mini_Vinnie
Received 265 Likes on 209 Posts
I agree 100% with vetsvette.

That little clutch stop is extremely underrated. I am pretty amazed how fast shifts are now. I had mine if for a year now and you dont realize it until you are in another car with out one.

I had my oil changed and Mini gave me a loaner. Of course it didnt have the stop and every shift seemed like I was literally pushing the pedal to the floor. Very similar to what you were experiencing.

Also, as suggested, that engine mount bushing really tightened up my car. I originally installed the Yellow one but had a chance to try the black race one and i love it. the slop in the front is gone and everything just feels solid.

When I first got my Mini I was in the same situation you are in. It really took a few handling mods to make the car feel like it was supposed to feel.

Dont give up, they are great fun cars

Old 12-16-2017, 12:15 PM
toyopet
4th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Turn off DSC and heel/toe rev match yourself.

Old 12-16-2017, 12:40 PM
02fanatic
6th Gear
Received 103 Likes on 94 Posts
My biggest complaint is the long throws with shifts and it’s hard to find the right gear when downshifting. Just doesn’t seem right to have to mod to a short shift kit for a new performance car! I’ve never had any trouble shifting in any other car, but then again MINIs are special! ;-). I love my JCW but I will be modifying it at some point I’m sure.

Old 12-16-2017, 01:01 PM
vetsvette
Yeah, the shifter was a weak spot in the R56 too, but like my F car I modded it into submission. My experience with the R56 MCS was the inspiration for the trans/shifter mods on the F. At least with the F you don't have to get under the car to change the shifter and you don't need to buy the cover for the linkage.

Old 12-16-2017, 03:25 PM
Mini_Vinnie
Yep get CravenSpeed short throw shifter and you won’t ever stop smiling. It’s a game changer.

http://www.fastredmini.com/2017/02/c...ifter.html?m=1

Old 12-19-2017, 08:11 AM
phantasms
5th Gear
Thanks for all the help guys. I ordered the yellow engine mount bushings last night. I have the BMS clutch stop which I haven't installed yet. I was a little hesitant to because the clutch engagement feels quite close to the floor on my car. I wonder if it's a JCW thing. I didn't want to put it in and find I was not fully disengaging the clutch. As far as the clutch pedal not coming up quick enough it's not a specific problem with the car. I recall this is a BMW/Mini thing and has been for ages. I also remember there was a way to fix it but I don't recall what the solution was. As far as the shifter some of you say it's for sure ok but others say not so much. I've emailed craven speed and we'll see what they say. My gut is the fact you see the rod on the JCW will make it not possible to swap with the craven speed while maintaining stock visual appearance.

Thanks!

Best,
Gene

Old 12-19-2017, 09:13 AM
Mini_Vinnie
Well the clutch stop doesn’t make you get closer to the floor, it’s the opposite.

It’s designed to get your clutch to engage as soon as it possibly can so basically the second the pedal can engaythe clutch. You will never have to push to the floor.

When I first got it I stalled a few times because I wasn’t ready for the engagement. For $10 you can’t lose

Old 12-19-2017, 10:46 AM
phantasms
5th Gear
Maybe I misspoke. The point of engagement already feels close to the floor. Therefor I was hesitant to make the lowest point the clutch pedal goes be a little higher. That said I have it so I may as well give it a try.

I spoke with CravenSpeed and the did say that the short shift kit is a no go if I want to maintain stock appearance. They suggested trying to the little Helix piece. I think I'll start with the bushing and take it from there.

Old 12-19-2017, 01:21 PM
02fanatic
6th Gear
.....I spoke with CravenSpeed and the did say that the short shift kit is a no go if I want to maintain stock appearance. They suggested trying to the little Helix piece. I think I'll start with the bushing and take it from there.
I’m with you! I prefer the stock shifter “look”....this is my dilemma for not going with the Craven shifter. Hopefully someone will produce something that adapts to the stock shifter & boot!

Old 12-27-2017, 10:57 AM
J_L
5th Gear
Received 114 Likes on 86 Posts
https://www.cravenspeed.com/helix-sh...-kit-for-mini/

http://www.nm-eng.com/345/3/0/3147/nm668846-nm-eng-short-shift-adapter.html#popUp[products]/0/

https://www.forgemotorsport.com/Shor...uct--1368.html

3 options that will work with any ****. I haven't tried any of them- I have the Craven shift lever w/ their ****, and love the combo. I would go with the Craven Helix- just $50, worth a shot. I would add some thread locker to the set screw though =)

Old 12-27-2017, 11:15 AM
Mini_Vinnie
Just curious why you want a stock look? Are you worried about voiding a warranty?

You can get the CS adjustable shifter, make it the same height at the stock setup, and even reuse your stock ****.

People will never know its a SS unless you tell them or they drive a mini that doesn't have a SS installed.

Old 12-27-2017, 12:01 PM
vetsvette
Originally Posted by Mini_Vinnie
Just curious why you want a stock look? Are you worried about voiding a warranty?

You can get the CS adjustable shifter, make it the same height at the stock setup, and even reuse your stock ****.

People will never know its a SS unless you tell them or they drive a mini that doesn't have a SS installed.
Can't use the stock 3rd Gen JCW ****. For some reason they made it different from every **** before them. There's a picture in post #10 that shows a metal shaft attached to the **** itself. That's the problem. I don't like it personally, but because of the feel, not the looks.

Old 12-27-2017, 12:15 PM
MrBlah
6th Gear - AX Champion
Received 264 Likes on 210 Posts
did they put a clutch delay valve in the Fxx too ? if so remove it, it will limit the speed the clutch pedal returns

bmw loves those god awful things

Old 12-27-2017, 03:28 PM
02fanatic
6th Gear

I don’t care about the warranty....heck unless absolutely necessary my car never sees a dealer anyway! I change my own oil too! I just like the appearance of the stock shifter....until someone makes a SS kit that can adapt to the stock shaft or copy the stock look I’ll probably not fool with swapping it. It’s just that I really don’t like the sloppy feel when downshifting....it’s really shameless that BMW didn’t get this right in the JCW! I have Vintage Bimmers that shift so sweet it pains me to shift in the MINI!....love it but the shifter is awful! When I read reviews that praise the shifter I have to laugh....who are these idiots?!

Old 12-27-2017, 06:38 PM
Mini_Vinnie
Gotcha buddy, just asking. I didnt mean anything by it. To each his own.

But man, that CravenSpeed SS is absolutely amazing

Old 01-29-2018, 03:49 PM
clevelandrum
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks for all the help guys. I ordered the yellow engine mount bushings last night.

So did you install the yellow bushings? If so, easy install? Your review?

Old 01-30-2018, 03:12 PM
clevelandrum
2nd Gear
Also, as suggested, that engine mount bushing really tightened up my car. I originally installed the Yellow one but had a chance to try the black race one and i love it. the slop in the front is gone and everything just feels solid.
Can you say a little more about the yellow bushing? It had a noticeable effect? Difficult install?

Old 01-30-2018, 05:29 PM
Mini_Vinnie
Originally Posted by clevelandrum
Can you say a little more about the yellow bushing? It had a noticeable effect? Difficult install?
Yep, already did! https://myredmini.com/powerflex/

And my review of yellow vs. black - https://myredmini.com/powerflex-engi...-sport-review/

Bottom line, you cant go wrong with either. The stock one is horrible and it will be apparent really quick.

Like anything, take your time and it is an easy install.

Old 01-30-2018, 05:51 PM
clevelandrum
2nd Gear
thanks

I appreciate the reply, and fastredmini is your site? sweet!

Old 01-30-2018, 06:40 PM
Mini_Vinnie
Originally Posted by clevelandrum
I appreciate the reply, and fastredmini is your site? sweet!

Yep! Thats my baby

Old 01-30-2018, 10:26 PM
Clutch Wotan
5th Gear
Received 157 Likes on 120 Posts

2. The entire car feels like it's a giant rubberband ball when executing the shift quickly.

When i drove my first F56 Cooper S that where also my first complaints, I had

The entire car is in the crisp grip of the software. The std setup loose to create that Go Kart feeling.

The mentioned change of the engine mount. Iam not a fan of that for a daily car, but as the engine goes out anyhow i will try it.

Quick Reply: F55/F56 How to fix 1 to 2 shift? manual