F55/F56 :: Hatch Talk (2014+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (F55/F56) hatchback discussions.

F55/F56 Comfort Access and Locking the Door

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2014, 08:35 AM
wtwien
4th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Comfort Access and Locking the Door

I have Comfort Access and when I try to lock the door by pressing the small black button on the door handle, it will not lock on the first time. If I wait a few second after exiting the car it will lock. How can I change this so that it locks right away. Do I need to change a setting or something?

Old 10-17-2014, 08:47 AM
RichSz
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have this problem as well but think I figured it out. The first press unlocks the passenger door and the second press locks both. If my wife is in the car and gets out, thus unlocking the passenger door, then I can lock with a single press.

I'm not sure if it's a setting thing but it's irritating. I've been using the remote to lock, which defeats the purpose of having Comfort Access.

Old 10-17-2014, 09:09 AM
cansa
1st Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I turned off "lock after start driving", so when I press unlock (either on remote or comfort access) then it stays unlocked, so one press of the comfort access when I leave the car locks it up.

Old 10-17-2014, 10:24 AM
becky1711
4th Gear
Add me to list. I was also befuddled and irritated by how many presses to lock. Thought I wasn't pushing hard enough or in the right spot or whatever. Will turn off the lock when driving.

Old 10-17-2014, 10:29 AM
papawhiskey
4th Gear
Originally Posted by cansa
I turned off "lock after start driving", so when I press unlock (either on remote or comfort access) then it stays unlocked, so one press of the comfort access when I leave the car locks it up.
Where do you find that lock setting? I found where to unlock both doors with the handle button press, but have not seen the one you refer to.

TIA

Old 10-17-2014, 10:30 AM
RichSz
3rd Gear
It's good to see there is a solution but I feel the cure is worse than the illness. I like that the doors lock when I drive. Not that I live in or frequent bad neighborhoods but it's a bit of piece of mind to hear the lock click when I take off. I'll stick with my lame solution for now.

This has me thinking, if I have Comfort Access and am sitting in a locked car with the key in my pocket, can one of the door buttons be pressed and unlock the door? That would make locking them automatically completely pointless. I'll start calling the little buttons "carjack me" buttons if that's the case. I must investigate this!

Old 10-17-2014, 10:39 AM
cansa
1st Gear
Originally Posted by papawhiskey
Where do you find that lock setting? I found where to unlock both doors with the handle button press, but have not seen the one you refer to.

TIA
I'm not at my car, so I'm looking at the manual (pg.42). Under "settings", then "doors/key", select "Lock after start driving".............only I unselected it!

Old 10-17-2014, 11:44 AM
MasterYoda
2nd Gear
I assumed the delay was the car waiting to make sure the key wasn't in the vehicle anymore. It does annoy me greatly.

Old 10-17-2014, 11:47 AM
papawhiskey
4th Gear
Originally Posted by RichSz
This has me thinking, if I have Comfort Access and am sitting in a locked car with the key in my pocket, can one of the door buttons be pressed and unlock the door?
I know for a certainty that with the fob inside one cannot unlock the door from the outside - even with the engine running. The wife always gets peeved at me because I would forget that the doors have locked automatically, and when I come to pick her up I forget to unlock it, leaving her out in the cold. She's now taken to having her fob with her all the time, thus allowing her to use the black button to let herself in.

Old 10-17-2014, 11:53 AM
Morty73
1st Gear
I also find the comfort access locking process confusing and annoying. The trick I have found is wen getting out of the car, use my thumb to unlock the doors with the button on the door as I am pulling the handle. Then, when I close the door and press the black button, it locks on the first press.

This still allows you to have the doors set to lock automatically when you drive off.

Old 10-17-2014, 11:57 AM
cansa
1st Gear
Originally Posted by papawhiskey
I know for a certainty that with the fob inside one cannot unlock the door from the outside - even with the engine running. The wife always gets peeved at me because I would forget that the doors have locked automatically, and when I come to pick her up I forget to unlock it, leaving her out in the cold. She's now taken to having her fob with her all the time, thus allowing her to use the black button to let herself in.
I laughed at that because my hubby does the exact same thing to me in his car, which is why I turned off the automatic locking on mine. If for any reason I'm going through a shady part of some town I'll hit the door lock on my own, but other than that I like all the doors unlocked.

Old 10-17-2014, 02:51 PM
darex
5th Gear
Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts
This quirk is actually inexcusably annoying, because no other brand of car has this silly issue. On all other cars, press once to lock; twice to unlock. THE END!

Old 10-17-2014, 02:57 PM
Crimguy
3rd Gear
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
BMW - options to open one door or all doors with unlock. Otherwise you get in the habit of a double press when you have passengers.

I don't like the button personally. My old car would detect the key when you grabbed the handle and unlock the doors. Very slick.

Old 10-18-2014, 02:36 AM
CobraBob
5th Gear
Originally Posted by Morty73
I also find the comfort access locking process confusing and annoying. The trick I have found is wen getting out of the car, use my thumb to unlock the doors with the button on the door as I am pulling the handle. Then, when I close the door and press the black button, it locks on the first press.

This still allows you to have the doors set to lock automatically when you drive off.
You're talking about the 'unlock button' inside the car, right? That is what I started doing and now that I'm in the habit of doing it, no more problem when I exit and then press the black button. It is admittedly not a great system. IMO you should be able to hold the button in for, say, for 3-4 seconds and have the doors lock. My concern with the present setup is that a person can press the black button and then wrongly assume the doors are locked. This is especially a concern if the windows are tinted and you cannot see the door lock stem.

Old 10-18-2014, 06:15 AM
Pennengr
3rd Gear
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by cansa
Thanks for this pointer. I can live without autolock to get comfort access working the way it should (a compromise I know from the way it really should be).

Old 10-18-2014, 06:50 AM
Kinetic89
2nd Gear
Same issue, only on the driver side though. I can unlock the door from the Passenger side and it locks the first time I push the button on that door handle.

The vehicle never locks on the first push of the button on the driver side.

Old 10-30-2015, 01:56 PM
veevsato
1st Gear
I was thinking it was part of the tilt sensor settling down to arm the alarm as the doors lock. Does anyone have the black button without the alarm system. Do they have the problem?

Old 10-30-2015, 06:22 PM
Pennengr
3rd Gear
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Black button, no alarm, and yes.

Old 11-01-2015, 05:18 AM
Miniblue2
4th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
No alarm, but I am set to lock all with button press and it does so immediately.

Old 11-01-2015, 10:16 AM
gwernerjr
2nd Gear
Wow I thought I was crazy but I'm having the same problem. I like when the doors autolock as I drive so I wonder if a simple fix is to just press the unlock button on the inside of the car before I get out. Then if both the locks are unlocked upon leaving it will lock on the first press. You shouldn't have to do this but at least it gives you locking while driving still.

I was actually surprised that the minis used such a different comfort access system than bmw. It just seems super cheap that it is all through one rubber button rather than having a sensor on the inner part of the handles to unlock and a dimple on the top to lock like the bmws have.

Old 11-02-2015, 08:48 AM
MINIDean
4th Gear
This is a huge oversight on MINI's part. My last R56 had comfort access and if I got out of the car and the passenger door was already locked, pressing the black button on the driver outside handle always locked the door. Now, on my F56, if I get out and press the black button, the system unlocks the passenger door, then I have to wait a few seconds to then lock them all. LAME. Now I just hit the power inside unlock button when I get out instead of unlocking when I pull the inside door handle, and the black button will lock all doors, only because I unlocked all of them before getting out. I have never had a car with comfort access do this, so I'm disappointed. It's more like Annoying Access instead of Comfort Access. Older MINIs worked as designed before, but now they don't? Who's sleeping in the software department?

Come on MINI. Update the software so this isn't annoying.

Old 11-02-2015, 05:18 PM
Blues Trucker
3rd Gear
Checked mine today. 1 push and doors lock.

Old 11-02-2015, 08:12 PM
BennyF
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by MINIDean
This is a huge oversight on MINI's part. My last R56 had comfort access and if I got out of the car and the passenger door was already locked, pressing the black button on the driver outside handle always locked the door. Now, on my F56, if I get out and press the black button, the system unlocks the passenger door, then I have to wait a few seconds to then lock them all. LAME. Now I just hit the power inside unlock button when I get out instead of unlocking when I pull the inside door handle, and the black button will lock all doors, only because I unlocked all of them before getting out. I have never had a car with comfort access do this, so I'm disappointed. It's more like Annoying Access instead of Comfort Access. Older MINIs worked as designed before, but now they don't? Who's sleeping in the software department?

Come on MINI. Update the software so this isn't annoying.

Old 11-03-2015, 05:20 AM
Southern Marylander
3rd Gear
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
If I unlock with the black button to get in, drive for a bit, then hop out by just opening the door, I will have to press the lock button twice to lock the car.

If I unlock with the black button to get in, drive for a bit, then unlock with the door button to get out, the black button will lock on the first press.