F55/F56 :: Hatch Talk (2014+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (F55/F56) hatchback discussions.

F55/F56 May be buying one soon in AZ

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2014, 01:51 PM
TheBigNewt
OVERDRIVE
Received 103 Likes on 82 Posts
May be buying one soon in AZ

I called/contacted the 3 AZ dealers saying what I wanted: MCS VO/Blk pretty loaded but HAS to have HK, AT, Nav, and the Black Pearl (grey cloth/leatherette) seats. One dealer found one en route to a CA dealership and if I go make a deal on it and appraise my Mini trade they'll divert it to their shop in about 3 weeks. That could work. Doesn't have HUD or backup camera (I would have ordered these but not a dealbreaker). I think grey colorline too. Has the Fully Loaded Package and some other stuff. Might pput down a deposit this weekend. Did anyone trade their Mini and if so how bad did they rape you? Mine was $30k new, 2007 with 70k miles. My original MA lowballed me at $6k and came up to around $7.5k over the phone.

Old 04-30-2014, 02:16 PM
slayerx02
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My 2011 MCSa with 51k miles premium package was appraised at 10k... I said screw that lol

Old 04-30-2014, 02:25 PM
RockAZ
4th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Don't take less than 11k for yours in trade, and start at $13k

Old 04-30-2014, 02:26 PM
champ198
3rd Gear
I walked into it knowing I was getting my butt handed to me on a trade but I wanted the F56 they just unloaded off the truck - same colors as my Coupe. I have a buddy in car sales and I asked for a one time favor and he showed me the wholesale price my trade would get at auction. Your dealer may wholesale your car especially if it is high miled and more than a couple years old so if you can find wholesale value for cars similar to yours in your area it's good to know for negotiation. You will most likely pay MSRP for the F56 because the loaded ones in popular colors are hot. Also, I worked in a 48 mth wheel/tire pkg into the price since I knew there was a some room to work with the trade.

Also, you won't miss HUD and you can live without a backup camera. You must get HK & NAV!! Fully loaded pkg comes with the goodies you want! Good luck my friend!!

Old 04-30-2014, 02:33 PM
MiniCon3
1st Gear
Just curious what location are you ordering through? I test drive the F56 in Tucson and ended up placing a deposit on one in Tempe. Haven't checked out the Scottsdale dealership yet.

Old 04-30-2014, 03:25 PM
steve1ddd
3rd Gear
I agree with HK being a must have...but I disagree that you wont miss the HUD....it is one of my favorite features. it does more than the spedo..it also does nav, radio controls and other features. it is great

Old 05-01-2014, 08:46 AM
CobraBob
5th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I decided to forgo the HUD and backup camera. I figured I had enough info to look at already on the speedo and center cluster. LOL. And with a car this small I couldn't justify spending big money for the camera. After driving my MINI S for 2 weeks I've very comfortable with having the backup assist. The visibility backing up is the best I've had with any car I've owned, due to the supreme window glass areas and lack of visual impediments found on most other modern cars. My old 2011 Buick LaCrosse was horrible. You absolutely had to have a backup camera and even then you had to be so cautious because visibility was impaired from many angles. I see the camera and the HUD as features that many can live with or live without. Those who have them, love them. Those that don't should be just fine. JMO.

Old 05-01-2014, 09:41 AM
angrybears
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by CobraBob
I decided to forgo the HUD and backup camera. I figured I had enough info to look at already on the speedo and center cluster. LOL. And with a car this small I couldn't justify spending big money for the camera. After driving my MINI S for 2 weeks I've very comfortable with having the backup assist. The visibility backing up is the best I've had with any car I've owned, due to the supreme window glass areas and lack of visual impediments found on most other modern cars. My old 2011 Buick LaCrosse was horrible. You absolutely had to have a backup camera and even then you had to be so cautious because visibility was impaired from many angles. I see the camera and the HUD as features that many can live with or live without. Those who have them, love them. Those that don't should be just fine. JMO.
My OCD couldn't handle an empty toggle switch spot.

Old 05-01-2014, 10:19 AM
torpeau
4th Gear
Originally Posted by champ198
Also, you won't miss HUD and you can live without a backup camera. You must get HK & NAV!! Fully loaded pkg comes with the goodies you want! Good luck my friend!!

I'm not really heavily involved w/ music, so I don't have HK, but I'm glad I have the rest.
Even some of the cheapest new cars have b/u cameras. The HUD is really nifty, but since I never had one before, I could have done without -- ignorance is bliss. The Nav is really handy -- wish I'd had before.

Old 05-01-2014, 10:20 AM
TheBigNewt
OVERDRIVE
I think my 2007 MCS with 70k miles Blue Books at around 10k. Needs brakes, tires, and the display goes dim in the heat. So I figure if I can get 8k for it that's fair. I have no desire to sell it myself, and there's some intermittent brake noise coming from the (recently replaced) front brakes. I agree I can do without the backup camera, I'd get the HUD but it's not a deal breaker, otherwise the car has what I want and I can probably get it in about 3 weeks if we agree on the trade and place deposit. It's the Mini Tempe dealer. I bought mine at Mini North Scottsdale which was the only one then. I gave my MA a shot at it, but the Tempe guy quickly found an incoming Mini that matched what I wanted and after we buy he can basically hijack the car from the California dealer and have it delivered to Tempe pretty quickly. He said they've done that before with the Ontario dealer.

Last edited by TheBigNewt; 05-01-2014 at 10:30 AM.
Old 05-01-2014, 11:08 AM
MiniCon3
1st Gear
Originally Posted by TheBigNewt
... otherwise the car has what I want and I can probably get it in about 3 weeks if we agree on the trade and place deposit. It's the Mini Tempe dealer.
Awesome! Good chance our Minis are on the same ship. Mine is on the "Oberon" and should be at tempe dealer in around 3 weeks.

Old 05-01-2014, 11:33 AM
TheBigNewt
OVERDRIVE
Originally Posted by MiniCon3
Awesome! Good chance our Minis are on the same ship. Mine is on the "Oberon" and should be at tempe dealer in around 3 weeks.
He said it was due in port May 10 I think but it was originally bound for Mini of Ontario (CA). We're going to Japan/Portland the end of May so my plan is to drive the old Mini down there, and pick up the new one on the way home!

Old 05-01-2014, 11:49 AM
MiniCon3
1st Gear
He said it was due in port May 10 I think but it was originally bound for Mini of Ontario (CA). We're going to Japan/Portland the end of May so my plan is to drive the old Mini down there, and pick up the new one on the way home!
That'll be fun! Have a safe trip and post pics when you pick it up!

Old 05-01-2014, 04:59 PM
Diana De Van
3rd Gear
What - you are stealing one of our CANADIAN cars??
No fair!!
Just make sure you use the term "eh" a lot otherwise the voice recognition may not understand you hehe

Old 05-02-2014, 09:30 AM
ThumperMCS
6th Gear
Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
I think my 2007 MCS with 70k miles Blue Books at around 10k. Needs brakes, tires, and the display goes dim in the heat. So I figure if I can get 8k for it that's fair. I have no desire to sell it myself, and there's some intermittent brake noise coming from the (recently replaced) front brakes. I agree I can do without the backup camera, I'd get the HUD but it's not a deal breaker, otherwise the car has what I want and I can probably get it in about 3 weeks if we agree on the trade and place deposit. It's the Mini Tempe dealer. I bought mine at Mini North Scottsdale which was the only one then. I gave my MA a shot at it, but the Tempe guy quickly found an incoming Mini that matched what I wanted and after we buy he can basically hijack the car from the California dealer and have it delivered to Tempe pretty quickly. He said they've done that before with the Ontario dealer.
If your car books at $10k trade in, that doesn't mean thats what they are going through auction for, its typically $1-2k less and thats what dealers go off of. Then add the fact that it needs 4 tires, brakes, and a new cluster....that's $3k easily in reconditioning for the dealer. $7.5k on an 07 is very fair for trade-in. Sad and it sucks...but that's what it is.

Have you tried taking it to CarMax? Usually they will give a bit more than dealers will...as they own their own in-house auction company, they can pay more for cars than normal dealers. Unfortunately, since you're in AZ you'd then miss out on the sales tax savings by not trading in the car.

What - you are stealing one of our CANADIAN cars??
No fair!!
No, Ontario California. MINI of Ontario, MINI of Tempe, and MINI North Scottsdale are all owned by Penske, so they can easily trade cars with one another.

Old 05-02-2014, 09:43 AM
TheBigNewt
OVERDRIVE
Originally Posted by ThumperMCS
If your car books at $10k trade in, that doesn't mean thats what they are going through auction for, its typically $1-2k less and thats what dealers go off of. Then add the fact that it needs 4 tires, brakes, and a new cluster....that's $3k easily in reconditioning for the dealer. $7.5k on an 07 is very fair for trade-in. Sad and it sucks...but that's what it is.
That's sort of what I figure. I was dealing via email with another dealer on a new JCW Coupe and he was willing to do about $7.5k on that unofficially (never saw the car). That's my price point. I'll try and get then to throw in an extended warranty for free off the new car, I doubt they'll lower the price especially since I look like such an "eager buyer" (which is true lol ).