F55/F56 :: Hatch Talk (2014+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (F55/F56) hatchback discussions.

F55/F56 Mini Connected, iPhone 5, F56

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2014, 05:06 PM
Pennengr
3rd Gear
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Mini Connected, iPhone 5, F56

Has anyone tried an iPhone 5 or 5s with Connected on the F56 yet? Working OK?

Thanks.

Old 04-23-2014, 06:08 PM
BrandonRawks
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi there! I'm new here, in fact this is my first post.

But yes, I use an iphone 5S, and it works fine with Mini Connected in the F56 (using the standard Apple lightning connector).

I have never owned a Mini before, but many of my friends have and I've always liked them. I stopped by the dealership on a whim this past Saturday to see if they had any of the new beasties, and ended up purchasing a Blazing Red F56 with black victory spoke wheels and black roof. I'm absolutely loving this car. I just got lucky, they had one specced almost exactly as I would have wanted, so I pulled the trigger. It's getting tinted on Friday and I'll have a little time in the sunlight, so I plan to take some photos of it and give it a proper introduction here.

Old 04-23-2014, 06:25 PM
Pennengr
3rd Gear
Congrats on the purchase, and thanks for the feedback. Just made my deal today, ETA August.

Old 04-23-2014, 07:15 PM
JimVL
1st Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Pictures please if you get a chance.

Old 04-23-2014, 10:43 PM
dwdyer
5th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
What are the options for holing it? In my R56 I have a ProClip and a dock connector to audio and power cable. The sound is better out of the dock, and yes there is analog audio out on Lightning --even through the adapter to 30 pin. I never did do the cradle in the armrest thing. I suspect ProClip will eventually have a mount for the F56 though.

Old 04-23-2014, 11:56 PM
rkw
OVERDRIVE
Received 121 Likes on 106 Posts
Originally Posted by dwdyer
In my R56 I have a ProClip and a dock connector to audio and power cable. The sound is better out of the dock, and yes there is analog audio out on Lightning --even through the adapter to 30 pin.
The F56 finally catches up to current technology and uses USB digital audio. No more of that aux input and Y-connector nonsense.

Old 04-24-2014, 03:10 AM
Pennengr
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by dwdyer
What are the options for holing it? In my R56 I have a ProClip and a dock connector to audio and power cable. The sound is better out of the dock, and yes there is analog audio out on Lightning --even through the adapter to 30 pin. I never did do the cradle in the armrest thing. I suspect ProClip will eventually have a mount for the F56 though.
I've been looking at this

http://www.customcardocks.com/#!shop/crht

and the cravenspeed, although I've not gotten too far with it so far.

Old 04-24-2014, 08:14 PM
dwdyer
5th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I like having it reachable with the ProClip, but with the integration I may not need it as much so something like that might do for a while. And I won't be using the phone for nav unless I really want to use Waze.

Old 04-24-2014, 08:54 PM
mini-mine
5th Gear
Originally Posted by Pennengr
Congrats on the purchase, and thanks for the feedback. Just made my deal today, ETA August.
Wow, ETA August?!

Old 04-25-2014, 01:12 AM
Pennengr
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by mini-mine
Wow, ETA August?!
Custom order and I want the HK. Fortunately I don't need a new car. Just want one. So I can be a little patient.

Old 04-25-2014, 04:44 AM
CobraBob
5th Gear
Originally Posted by rkw
The F56 finally catches up to current technology and uses USB digital audio. No more of that aux input and Y-connector nonsense.
Ah, so THAT is why I couldn't find the Y-connector someone mentioned they were using. I have a feeling that person has an R56.

Question. If I use my iPhone 5S Lightning cable with the USB connector in my F56 should I be able to control the Pandora One app through the MINI Connect screen? Or will I still have to select different Pandora channels from my iPhone?

Old 04-25-2014, 06:45 AM
BrandonRawks
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by CobraBob
Ah, so THAT is why I couldn't find the Y-connector someone mentioned they were using. I have a feeling that person has an R56.

Question. If I use my iPhone 5S Lightning cable with the USB connector in my F56 should I be able to control the Pandora One app through the MINI Connect screen? Or will I still have to select different Pandora channels from my iPhone?
You can control everything through the Mini Connect screen. You need to launch the Mini Connected app on your iphone first though. Then when you go into the Mini Connect screen, you'll see a list of apps. At the bottom, mine says "More Apps". Select that, and you'll see Pandora as an option. Then you are good to go! You can thumbs up, down, skip, album art, the whole shebang.

BTW, my MA told me that Mini has a deal with Pandora, and that as long as you are using the app through Mini Connected, it's commercial free even for non-subscribers. I haven't tested that out myself though.

Enjoy!!!

Old 04-25-2014, 06:13 PM
mini-mine
5th Gear
Originally Posted by Pennengr
Custom order and I want the HK. Fortunately I don't need a new car. Just want one. So I can be a little patient.
Oh dear, that might be the nail in the coffin for me then unfortunately. I had heard about these back-up delays, but need a car by end of July. Oh well, I guess I'll find out for sure when I go to the dealer Friday for my pre-lease end check-up and will have to go elsewhere for this car if it's August.

Old 04-25-2014, 08:51 PM
Pennengr
3rd Gear
Plenty of HK's on the lot, but I'm being told anything that contains HK, even Fully Loaded, can't be entered as an order right now.