F55/F56/F57 Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for F55/F56 MINI Cooper AND Cooper S models.

F55 with Automatic Transmission Jerks in First Gear

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2019, 07:42 AM
rockethot
Neutral
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
F55 with Automatic Transmission Jerks in First Gear

I've got a totally stock automatic 2017 F55 with 24.9k miles. I've noticed that the car jerks when pressing and letting go of the accelerator when the car is in first gear. I press the accelerator and there is a 2-3 second delay and then it makes an odd noise and jerks forward. Same thing happens when I let go of the accelerator while the car is in first gear. I let go of the accelerator, car cruises for a bit before it makes the same noise and jerks back slowing the car down. This happens only in first gear. I have been able to recreate it by putting the car into M1 after changing to M/S mode on the steptronic transmission. It does not happen in M2 and above, it's totally smooth. This happens when the car is in normal mode as well without the lever moved over to M/S. This has been going on for a while now. The car was at the dealer last week and they did a software upgrade so I doubt it is software related as the issue showed up before as well. Has anyone experienced this?

Last edited by rockethot; 04-01-2019 at 08:06 AM.
Old 04-02-2019, 04:56 PM
N0B0DY
4th Gear
Received 104 Likes on 78 Posts
I would bring it back to the dealer and tell them it's not fixed.

Old 04-02-2019, 05:06 PM
rockethot
Neutral
I dropped it off at the dealer today. Last week it was there for a different issue. When coming out of a complete stop with auto engine stop/start enabled the car would rev up and jerk forward a foot or two at a time immediately after letting go of the brake. It then repeats this over and over until I either hit the brake again or step on the accelerator. I've gotten lucky that this hasn't happened with another car in front of me.

Old 04-03-2019, 05:11 PM
N0B0DY
4th Gear
Received 104 Likes on 78 Posts
That would be a big safety issue and a lawsuit waiting to happen. I would tell the dealer that you don't want to car back until it is completely fixed. Make sure you get a loaner.

Old 04-09-2019, 09:57 AM
rockethot
Neutral
Thought I would post an update. The dealer replaced one of the engine mounts and the jerking in first gear is now gone. The other problem hasn't shown up again after the software update but it happened very randomly so only time will tell if that solved it.

The following users liked this post:
nickminir56 (06-06-2019)
Old 06-06-2019, 09:39 PM
nickminir56
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by rockethot
Thought I would post an update. The dealer replaced one of the engine mounts and the jerking in first gear is now gone. The other problem hasn't shown up again after the software update but it happened very randomly so only time will tell if that solved it.
Thx big time for sharing the experience. Our 2016 F57 MCS automatic (June 2016 Build Date) also suffered very similar issue - jerky initial first gear / rough idle / sometime transmission hesititate to shift into 1st rolling from start or back out. The issue first observed in cold morning under 30F in February the symptoms seems to be less obvious in warmer temperature. The car drives normal 90% of the time we only noticed this when the car is in sport mode or M1.

We brought ours in for dignostic in early May (not reproducible) and then again this week finally the technician found the right engine mount is broken and replaced under warranty. Surprise the engine mount has issue already at 19K mls (currently 22k) but it's a better outcome than having transmission issue.

Last edited by nickminir56; 06-06-2019 at 09:47 PM.
Old 08-24-2019, 11:21 PM
Imperial
3rd Gear
Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts
Originally Posted by nickminir56
Thx big time for sharing the experience. Our 2016 F57 MCS automatic (June 2016 Build Date) also suffered very similar issue - jerky initial first gear / rough idle / sometime transmission hesititate to shift into 1st rolling from start or back out. The issue first observed in cold morning under 30F in February the symptoms seems to be less obvious in warmer temperature. The car drives normal 90% of the time we only noticed this when the car is in sport mode or M1.

We brought ours in for dignostic in early May (not reproducible) and then again this week finally the technician found the right engine mount is broken and replaced under warranty. Surprise the engine mount has issue already at 19K mls (currently 22k) but it's a better outcome than having transmission issue.
I have 2016 MCS F55 and I feel when transmission shifts gears, especially when in lower gears such as 1st and maybe 2nd.

1) Example: I put car in Drive, then accelerate, normally get to 20 mph and release gas pedal. I then feel some movement/slight jerkiness as if car tries to decide whether it should lower to 1st gear or stay in 2nd.
2) When I put car in D and just accelerate past 2nd gear and up then that slight shakiness is not felt

Any idea?

Old 02-09-2020, 09:12 PM
refractured
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Imperial
I have 2016 MCS F55 and I feel when transmission shifts gears, especially when in lower gears such as 1st and maybe 2nd.

1) Example: I put car in Drive, then accelerate, normally get to 20 mph and release gas pedal. I then feel some movement/slight jerkiness as if car tries to decide whether it should lower to 1st gear or stay in 2nd.
2) When I put car in D and just accelerate past 2nd gear and up then that slight shakiness is not felt

Any idea?
I just got a mcs f55 and noticed this as well- around the 2k rpm range in 1st (for my auto). Thought maybe it was a quirk- not there in green mode haven’t tested in sport.

Old 02-09-2020, 09:38 PM
Imperial
3rd Gear
Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts
Originally Posted by refractured
I just got a mcs f55 and noticed this as well- around the 2k rpm range in 1st (for my auto). Thought maybe it was a quirk- not there in green mode haven’t tested in sport.
I had 2 or 3 loaner cars(don't recall exactly). So 2 were 2019 models and 1 was 2020. The first 2 cars had around 5K on them and 2020 was brand new. Aforementioned 2 cars had these jerkiness more than brand new model but still I did feel it slightly. I came to pretty much conclusion that they all do that. It seems when vehicle speed drops down to about 10MPH, then the gear box shifts to first gear and this creates some of these weird jerkiness. No issues with transmission.

Old 02-09-2020, 09:56 PM
Katgirl
3rd Gear
Received 36 Likes on 31 Posts
I have an F55 with auto trans also. I have noticed a slight intermittent hesitation in 1st gear. I figure it’s normal because my engine only has 3 cylinders. My understanding is that there are times when none of the cylinders are firing, though the engine is running, as the crankshaft has to turn further before the next cylinder fires, than it would in a 4 or more cylinder engine. Because of the delay, the engine feels a bit hesitant, or jerky at low rpm’s. I am probably not explaining it well, but it was something I heard or read somewhere that gave me the idea that there are times the engine isn’t doing much of anything, because it only has 3 cylinders. These time frames are so short and fleeting, however, that all you would notice is that the engine has a slight hesitation. As engine speed increases, the cylinders fire more rapidly, thus eliminating the previously mentioned hesitation or jerkiness. As poster above noted, it is a normal quirk, not a problem that needs to be addressed. The OP’s trouble was caused by a faulty engine mount. Glad he got it sorted out.

Kat

Last edited by Katgirl; 02-10-2020 at 10:22 AM.