JCW 2017 F54 JCW manual transmission issue

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2018, 08:48 AM
Ray Oliver
2nd Gear
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
2017 F54 JCW manual transmission issue

I've had my F54 JCW for a year now and I'm having a strange issue with the manual transmission. I intend to take it to the dealer soon but wanted to know if anyone else had experienced this and if so, what exactly the problem was.

I'm having issues with second gear. Sometimes when I put it into second, it will then completely pop out of gear, or it sort of half pops out where the cars shakes a bit. This tends to happen at slow speeds, often in parking lots when I am just idling along or driving slowly in second gear. It doesn't typically happen when I am accelerating through the gears. It just started happening recently. Before this started happening, there were a handful of times when I would go into second gear and it would grind. At first I thought I was doing something wrong but I don't think I am. I'm thinking this might be related to this issue.

Any ideas?

Old 09-10-2018, 08:55 AM
G26okie
2nd Gear
Received 45 Likes on 25 Posts
Could be something hanging up the shift linkage or a 2nd gear syncro shot prematurely.

Old 09-11-2018, 06:52 PM
zagman
2nd Gear
Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts
I also have a second gear issue. When shifting quick into second, it often will miss and grind. I wonder if there is a relationship?

Old 10-01-2018, 08:03 AM
CPWillys
2nd Gear
Received 47 Likes on 23 Posts
Originally Posted by zagman
I also have a second gear issue. When shifting quick into second, it often will miss and grind. I wonder if there is a relationship?

I have had the same issue, a short shifter helped the situation by having a better feel of it. Mine has never popped out of second though.

Old 10-02-2018, 12:12 AM
easter
2nd Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Mine did this a couple of times but since I've been super meticulous about shifting as completely as possible and it hasn't happened since. Fingers crossed.

Old 10-02-2018, 05:22 AM
02fanatic
6th Gear
Received 103 Likes on 94 Posts
Originally Posted by CPWillys
I have had the same issue, a short shifter helped the situation by having a better feel of it. Mine has never popped out of second though.
What short shifter did you go with? The manual suffers from too long of a throw imo....a well setup manual trans should be tight and extremely easy to shift up or down! This is not the case with the Getrag Manual Transmission in the F56 MINI! I still prefer it over the auto but it definitely needs to be tweaked. I do like the stock shifter shaft tho so I haven’t swapped it for a Craven or other short shift kit. Mine has never popped out of 2nd gear!

Old 10-02-2018, 06:39 AM
CPWillys
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by 02fanatic

What short shifter did you go with? The manual suffers from too long of a throw imo....a well setup manual trans should be tight and extremely easy to shift up or down! This is not the case with the Getrag Manual Transmission in the F56 MINI! I still prefer it over the auto but it definitely needs to be tweaked. I do like the stock shifter shaft tho so I haven’t swapped it for a Craven or other short shift kit. Mine has never popped out of 2nd gear!

I did the Craven Short Shifter, I think the other issue with this transmission is the overly heavy Flywheel, but I am not ready to swap the clutch just yet.

https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...r-install.html

Old 10-02-2018, 09:20 AM
02fanatic
6th Gear
Received 103 Likes on 94 Posts
Thanks....nice work! I must admit that scares the heck out of me though....soooo much plastic that is prone to breaking! Nothing like the older cars where this swap is so much easier to do! You are to be commended for tackling that yourself.

Old 10-05-2018, 12:52 PM
J_L
5th Gear
Received 114 Likes on 86 Posts
The Craven shifter solves the sloppy feel and long throw. I doubt it would help with the popping out issue though, but worth a try! It isn't hard to install. For sure get their plastic bushing thing too though- that's one part that could get ruined on the way out.

Old 11-12-2018, 09:18 AM
CarFreak427
3rd Gear
Received 57 Likes on 38 Posts
I had this exact problem with my 2017 F54 Cooper S. Around 5k miles, second gear would not stay engaged without me holding it in place. Otherwise, it would pop halfway out and grind. It was the first case they had seen and it took a few weeks to get a new transmission from Germany, but it was replaced.

The following users liked this post:
2017All4 (11-12-2018)
Old 12-08-2018, 11:53 PM
kalphonso
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I drive a 2018 F54 JCW 6-sp Manual. 2nd gear popping into neutral started occurring around 3400 miles. Easily replicated @ Mini dealer service center. After a few days, ordered/ replaced transmission (what CarFreak427 did). Have added approx 4000 miles more to the JCW and haven't experienced the problem again - on this Mini. Purchased a 2018 F54 Cooper S just off Mini Executive Lease - roughly 7500 miles. Having this same issue with that one. When the girls get up from school next week, taking it to my local dealership (Mini of Sterling) and will have that transmission replaced too. All this under warranty and will petition Mini if it happens again even outside of warranty.

Best Wishes
- KAlphonso

Old 12-19-2018, 09:53 AM
Sstrickstein
3rd Gear
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
I have a 2014 MCS. I had the same issue popping out of 1st gear. Upon looking on Google I came across a TSB on Mitchell online. BMW makes a new shifter tower with a stronger spring to keep the shifts in gear. Since my car was out of warranty I had to purchase the part which was about $190.00. The kit comes with a new set of screws and requires a special sealant for the operation. I followed the instructions and was done in about 20 minutes. The one month subscription to see the TSB was $19.95 but well worth it since I thought I had a bad transmission. All better now.

Old 12-19-2018, 06:24 PM
kalphonso
Neutral
Excellent news. Service center stated similar remedy today (2018 Cooper Clubman S still in warranty) but decided to replace transmission just to be certain. I'll have to archive this solution in case this issue "pops up" (pun) again.

Old 10-17-2020, 05:04 PM
Joebu78
Neutral
I know this is an older thread, but curious if others have still had issues. I have a 2019 JCW F54 All4. It had the exact same issues described and I am now on the third transmission. The car only has 24k miles and the second transmission started causing problems at 3k miles and was replaced at 4k.

I have been told by some Mini dealer folks (on the side, not sure if it's true) that there is a known issue with these transmissions and sometimes you get a "bad one." I feel like the shifts in the gates are inconsistent in the way they feel with the third transmission (and I've only got a few hundred miles on it). The reason this is concerning is it seemed to be how the other transmission failures started.
I'm shifting incredibly carefully now and have found that the shift feel is only improved if I first stomp the clutch to the floor, pause and then make a slow shift, which is gonna kill the clutch fast. I've driven only manuals for 20 years and have never had an issue like this. I also traded in my 2016 R60 All4 S for this vehicle and I'm regretting the trade.

Curious if there is more information on this and if there is anyone who could direct me to a after market transmission that might work better or if there's a way to know I'm getting the same bad transmission reinstalled over and over again...

Old 10-17-2020, 06:26 PM
CPWillys
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by Joebu78
I know this is an older thread, but curious if others have still had issues. I have a 2019 JCW F54 All4. It had the exact same issues described and I am now on the third transmission. The car only has 24k miles and the second transmission started causing problems at 3k miles and was replaced at 4k.

I have been told by some Mini dealer folks (on the side, not sure if it's true) that there is a known issue with these transmissions and sometimes you get a "bad one." I feel like the shifts in the gates are inconsistent in the way they feel with the third transmission (and I've only got a few hundred miles on it). The reason this is concerning is it seemed to be how the other transmission failures started.
I'm shifting incredibly carefully now and have found that the shift feel is only improved if I first stomp the clutch to the floor, pause and then make a slow shift, which is gonna kill the clutch fast. I've driven only manuals for 20 years and have never had an issue like this. I also traded in my 2016 R60 All4 S for this vehicle and I'm regretting the trade.

Curious if there is more information on this and if there is anyone who could direct me to a after market transmission that might work better or if there's a way to know I'm getting the same bad transmission reinstalled over and over again...

Wow impressive, I sold my 2017 manual for an auto. Mine stayed the same until I sold it with 34k miles. I was really frustrated with the operation of that trans. There has to be an adjustment to the shifter linkage.

Old 10-17-2020, 06:43 PM
kalphonso
Neutral
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by CPWillys
Wow impressive, I sold my 2017 manual for an auto. Mine stayed the same until I sold it with 34k miles. I was really frustrated with the operation of that trans. There has to be an adjustment to the shifter linkage.
The issue was completely resolved on both F54 Clubmans - one a Cooper S the other a JCW. Transmission was replaced only as a safety precaution. True issue had to do with the shifting mechanism.

Clubmans were repaired a Mini of Sterling, Sterling Virginia. Superb shop.

Old 10-17-2020, 08:26 PM
J_L
5th Gear
Received 114 Likes on 86 Posts
Originally Posted by Joebu78

i haven’t been bothered by this before, but what you’re describing sounds like the way others describe the Clutch Delay Valve. There’s a thread somewhere here where the guy disabled it.

Old 10-20-2020, 06:01 AM
Ray Oliver
2nd Gear
OP here, I just realized I never updated this thread.

My problem got worse to the point where second gear was unusable. I ended up having the transmission replaced under warranty.

My lease on my Clubman JCW expired a month ago. I miss the car a lot.

It's still available from my local dealer: https://minimoncton.com/en/shopping/...etail/2D66728A

Last edited by Ray Oliver; 10-20-2020 at 04:09 PM.
Old 10-20-2020, 03:17 PM
AirborneMini003
4th Gear
Received 84 Likes on 59 Posts
Originally Posted by Ray Oliver
OP here, I just realized I never updated this thread.

My probably got worse to the point where second gear was unusable. I ended up having the transmission replaced under warranty.

My lease on my Clubman JCW expired a month ago. I miss the car a lot.

It's still available from my local dealer: https://minimoncton.com/en/shopping/...etail/2D66728A
Thats a beautiful car. It’s funny how many Canadian clubman owners on the forum there are. That has to be the only one in NB.

Old 10-20-2020, 04:08 PM
Ray Oliver
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by AirborneMini003
Thats a beautiful car. It’s funny how many Canadian clubman owners on the forum there are. That has to be the only one in NB.
I've never seen another Clubman JCW around here but the dealer did have one in stock at one point. I'm quite certain that mine was one of a kind in Canada (BRG with Chili Red roof and stripes, manual, two tone interior). I picked it up as a demo in the GTA. Wasn't in the market for one but I couldn't say no to $11k off and 0.75% lease rate (with loyalty reduction).

Old 10-20-2020, 05:12 PM
AirborneMini003
4th Gear
I've never seen another Clubman JCW around here but the dealer did have one in stock at one point. I'm quite certain that mine was one of a kind in Canada (BRG with Chili Red roof and stripes, manual, two tone interior). I picked it up as a demo in the GTA. Wasn't in the market for one but I couldn't say no to $11k off and 0.75% lease rate (with loyalty reduction).
Oh Canada. Niche car in a niche market. Imagine if it didn’t move in Toronto how fast it will move in NB. That’s a great deal for what I think is a super desirable color combo and list of options. Some people think Christmas, I see Gucci. On paper, the residual probably made for a terrible buy back, and it will soon go for auction to a different market for a price you may have been tempted to keep it for...its a strange business. I bought mine with the depreciation of a Maserati, so it was great to pick up barely driven for pennies on the dollar.

Old 10-20-2020, 07:23 PM
Ray Oliver
2nd Gear
Oh Canada. Niche car in a niche market. Imagine if it didn’t move in Toronto how fast it will move in NB. That’s a great deal for what I think is a super desirable color combo and list of options. Some people think Christmas, I see Gucci. On paper, the residual probably made for a terrible buy back, and it will soon go for auction to a different market for a price you may have been tempted to keep it for...its a strange business. I bought mine with the depreciation of a Maserati, so it was great to pick up barely driven for pennies on the dollar.
The buy out price wasn't bad actually, $23k and change or so.

Old 10-21-2020, 02:39 AM
AirborneMini003
4th Gear
The buy out price wasn't bad actually, $23k and change or so.
That is very good. Especially if you put nothing down. Minis are not without their problems, but I’m not sure if you’ll find something more feature rich, practical and engaging to drive for the price.

Old 10-21-2020, 05:24 AM
Ray Oliver
2nd Gear
That is very good. Especially if you put nothing down. Minis are not without their problems, but I’m not sure if you’ll find something more feature rich, practical and engaging to drive for the price.
Agreed, it was very tempting to keep it. But I like switching things up and we recently moved and don't drive nearly as much so I had already bought a own owner, meticulously maintained 2011 BMW 328i wagon, manual with sport package. A very rare combo. Also a great car to drive though definitely doesn't have the character of the JCW.

Old 10-21-2020, 06:09 AM
AirborneMini003
4th Gear
Agreed, it was very tempting to keep it. But I like switching things up and we recently moved and don't drive nearly as much so I had already bought a own owner, meticulously maintained 2011 BMW 328i wagon, manual with sport package. A very rare combo. Also a great car to drive though definitely doesn't have the character of the JCW.
I was shopping for the same thing when I picked up my clubman. The mini left more budget to personalize since the only 3 series wagon I found was Valencia orange with the m-performance package. It was beautiful, but hardly understated. Agreed that you found another unicorn in the 328. Drive it well!

Quick Reply: JCW 2017 F54 JCW manual transmission issue