F55/F56/F57 Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for F55/F56 MINI Cooper AND Cooper S models.

Brake Wear Sensor Warning

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2018, 10:30 AM
ce_npb
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Brake Wear Sensor Warning

Just got this on my way to work this morning. Does anyone know how urgent this is? I am assuming that there is a fair amount of buffer put in, so the repair isn't super critical. That said, I will get it taken care of in the next few days. I would ideally like to wait until Friday, as that is the first day in June when my VA safety inspection is due.

Old 05-29-2018, 10:55 AM
Minnie.the.Moocher
OVERDRIVE
Received 570 Likes on 486 Posts
Usually thousands of miles before pads are done. How many miles did you get out of them?

Old 05-29-2018, 11:04 AM
cyow5
2nd Gear
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
I recently failed my VA inspection because one pad was too low despite no warning lights. The moral of the story? There are two sensors but eight pads, so you still don't know the state of the other six. I'd take a look at all eight and determine their actually thicknesses rather than assume they all wear at the same rate.

Old 05-29-2018, 12:25 PM
ProjectMini
2nd Gear
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Less miles than you think. Get on it.

Old 05-29-2018, 12:35 PM
ce_npb
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by Minnie.the.Moocher
Usually thousands of miles before pads are done. How many miles did you get out of them?
Strangely, the rear brakes were done a while back, maybe 6 months or more. The front brakes, which should have worn out first, are original. Car has 56K on it now (2014 MCS). I looked at the rotors on the front and they are scored up pretty bad. Probably not hurting anything now, as the rotors will likely need to be replaced. I will get it in to be fixed shortly.

Old 05-29-2018, 02:39 PM
Capt_bj
OVERDRIVE
Received 281 Likes on 237 Posts
with most MINI wheels it is possible to do a quick 'eye ball' check of your pad status

You can usually look thru a wheel opening and see the caliper and the pads.

Rule of thumb ....

The pad should be thicker than the backing plate. When the pad is the same thickness it is time to start thinking about new pads ....

Here is a MINI pad - slightly worn - I put some white on the backing plate

Here's a worn pad

p.s. looking back at picture one. Note the bevel on the pad material .... and note where it ends .... you'll see that if you can see bevel, the pad IS thicker than the backing plate. (this applies to MINI OE pads and EBC IME ... no promises on other brands)

If you want to check ALL your pads you do need to jack the car up and maybe even pull the wheels but this is a good 'seat of the pants' reference.

If you got 56,000 out of a set of fronts on a MINI you did purty durn good IMO. I'm an easy driver for the most part and still never got this on any of my MINI. OTOH my NA Miata had 100,000 on the original brake pads which I replaced more cuz I couldn't believe as opposed to NEED!

I wonder if your front sensor failed .... or: did you buy the car new? I by-passed the wear sensors in my 07-S ... didn't put 'em back b4 I traded in .... oops.

Last edited by Capt_bj; 05-30-2018 at 02:30 PM.
Old 05-29-2018, 03:31 PM
Dave.O
4th Gear
Received 53 Likes on 34 Posts
I took all by brake sensor wires off, cut off the sensors and stripped the wire back and soldered the two wires together. No more error / pad warning lights.

My father showed me how to take care of a car when I was a kid and after checking the oil, air filter the brakes where next. He showed me disk and brake shoes and how to check the pads and rotors and how to change them. I am in the North East so I swap wheels ever winter and spring and check my brakes often.

The following users liked this post:
ashchuckton (06-02-2018)
Old 05-30-2018, 03:21 AM
ce_npb
2nd Gear
Capt BJ - I'm pretty easy on my cars and it also helps that my morning commute is very early, so I'm not on the brakes too much. I bought the car new, so the brakes are Mini OEM. 56K on the front brakes is pretty good IMHO. Hoping to get it in for repairs today or tomorrow.