F54 Powerflex lower engine mount install

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2018, 06:39 PM
CPWillys
2nd Gear
Received 47 Likes on 23 Posts
Powerflex lower engine mount install

Good Evening,

I installed the lower engine mount from Powerflex, it was interesting to pull out the factory mount and feel how soft the rubber is and compare it to the much stiffer Powerflex. I have had it installed for just over week and I am pleased with the stiffness balance to prevent excessive engine movement while also maintaining a comfortable Cabin. the only time I notice there is a difference is at Idle, you are able to feel a small vibration from the engine but it is not enough to bother me.

I did not yet test the black inserts that stiffen this up further.

One challenge I had was fitting the new bushing into the factory bracket, it appears the design does match the housing well enough to fit, I had to trim some of the Powerflex bushing to ensure a proper fit (see photos below).

Tools you will need:
  • 8mm Socket
  • 14mm Torx Female Socket
  • Shop press is helpful
  • Utility Knife
Time required:
  • 30 minutes-1.5 hours depending on lift
Step #1: Remove the engine skid cover, there are a dozen or so screws holding this up.

Step #2: Remove the factory bushing

There are 3 torx bolts to remove.

Step #3: Press the factory bushing out

I used a press to make it easy, you could likely get this out with some elbow grease.

Here is the stock bushing out of the Bracket

Step #4: Install the new bushing

This should be easy but I found that the internal shape in the bracket is different from the molded Powerflex bushing. The bracket has a constant radius on one side and the other has a flattened radius. The powerflex is molded with a standard radius on both sides..

When the Powerflex is installed into the bracket it will pop back out, it is nearly impossible to install both sides and hold them in place. I decided to trim the bushing for a proper fit and function.

Trimming the bushings is a challenge due to the materials resistance to abrasion and cutting. Also, after trimming the wrong side I also trimmed the right side.

Step #5: Reinstall the bracket with the new bushing.

Step #6 Reinstall the Lower Engine Skid cover and test drive.

Last edited by CPWillys; 10-01-2018 at 05:51 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by CPWillys:
ECSTuning (02-14-2020), Evlkarl (10-01-2018)
Old 10-01-2018, 06:18 PM
WayMotorWorks
Vendor
Received 755 Likes on 617 Posts
Great how to, thank you. I've installed one of these on almost every F56 we have had in and never had to trim one yet so I wonder if your F54 is so new it is a little different or what, but I'll keep an eye out to see if I see that same thing in the future, but my guess is it may just be yours is so new.
https://www.waymotorworks.com/powerf...g-f55-f56.html

You can also get the old one out with 2 big pair of pliers rather than a press as not everyone has a press.

HOTCHKIS | DDM | CRAVEN | AKRAPOVIC | NM ENGINEERING | MEGAN | FORGE | IE | OS GIKEN | POWERFLEX and more
Old 01-02-2020, 07:49 PM
AutoCoarsen
3rd Gear
Received 116 Likes on 58 Posts
I just pulled the engine mount out of my 2017 Clubman S ALL4. Crazy how sloppy and loose the stock mount was. I pressed out the bushing, thoroughly cleaned it, then reinstalled it. Then I sealed the cracks with hot glue and filled the bushing void with 80 durometer 2-part urethane. I used Smooth-On PMC-780 dry. It’s curing now - will report back later.

Here’s a video I took of the loose bushing.

Before filling. Backside is totally sealed up.

After filling.

Last edited by AutoCoarsen; 01-02-2020 at 07:59 PM.
Old 02-25-2023, 04:23 PM
AJCM
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Does anyone know how to replace the upper mount? Can someone give me some tips? I checked the videos on youtube. All of them are F55 and F56. F54 has more room between the headlight and the month location.

Thank you