F54 :: Clubman Talk (2015+) MINI Cooper Clubman and Clubman S Discussion

F54 Picked her up today

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2018, 06:37 PM
doug_999
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Picked her up today

Not the wife, she has been around for years, but the 2018 Clubman. Random thoughts
1. A completely different car than her 2010. So much more refined - and that is good in so many ways and bad in the way that it is no longer a go kart.
2. Was a Mini Exec car. Saved $10K doing that and the wife is fine with it, but I would never do that personally. The hood has seen every stone chip possible in 7,500 miles, the leather is discolored, and the rotors are warped something fierce when slowing from highway speeds (taking in for that next week - might just be the wheels were torqued wrong). Also, you pay a higher interest rate on these cars even though they are technically "new".
3. The lack of a Universal Garage Door opener is just stunning (exec ordered everything else, but skipped that). What car these days does not come with this?
4. The kick to open feature is also broken (we can get it to open about 1 in 10 times). Not the fault of an exec car - just an issue.

Overall, she LOVES the car and that is all that matters. I'm glad she is in a AWD car that is bigger. But we will miss her old car....

Attached Thumbnails Picked her up today-mini-clubman1.jpg  
Old 06-12-2018, 04:51 AM
xntrickly
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by doug_999
Not the wife, she has been around for years, but the 2018 Clubman. Random thoughts
1. A completely different car than her 2010. So much more refined - and that is good in so many ways and bad in the way that it is no longer a go kart.
2. Was a Mini Exec car. Saved $10K doing that and the wife is fine with it, but I would never do that personally. The hood has seen every stone chip possible in 7,500 miles, the leather is discolored, and the rotors are warped something fierce when slowing from highway speeds (taking in for that next week - might just be the wheels were torqued wrong). Also, you pay a higher interest rate on these cars even though they are technically "new".
3. The lack of a Universal Garage Door opener is just stunning (exec ordered everything else, but skipped that). What car these days does not come with this?
4. The kick to open feature is also broken (we can get it to open about 1 in 10 times). Not the fault of an exec car - just an issue.

Overall, she LOVES the car and that is all that matters. I'm glad she is in a AWD car that is bigger. But we will miss her old car....

Well congrats and you're probably covered with the warranty so all of those issues will be rectified with your Mini service department!! Similar boat for me and similar observations comparing my '11 R55 to my updated '16 F54... refined is the word that is for sure!! Good luck.

Old 06-12-2018, 04:57 AM
Whine not Walnuts
OVERDRIVE
Received 625 Likes on 554 Posts
Hmmm, so much more refined . Any grey poupon in the glove compartment?

Old 06-12-2018, 05:02 AM
Saburo
1st Gear
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
congrats! we picked up a 2018 countryman se for the wife last week. it has the kick to open feature too. i'm pretty sure its just a garbage feature because you have to be in exactly the right spot with just the right motion. mostly i just end up kicking the bumper!

Old 06-12-2018, 05:53 AM
Virgilstar
1st Gear
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Niiiice!
The comfort access (kick open) feature is definitely a learning curve. The trick seems to be 2 swift kicks back and forth in the center. We have a hitch and that doesn't impede it at all - in fact it often triggers if I'm sweeping out the garage and the broom goes under the rear bumper. The trick seems to be the motion, not letting your foot hang out under there for too long.

Re: Garage opener, some of the dash-cams that mount over the rear-view mirror come with a built in universal opener button. You know you absolutely want a dash-cam, right

Old 06-12-2018, 05:59 AM
gearhead60
4th Gear
Received 89 Likes on 67 Posts
Originally Posted by Virgilstar
Niiiice!
The comfort access (kick open) feature is definitely a learning curve. The trick seems to be 2 swift kicks back and forth in the center. We have a hitch and that doesn't impede it at all - in fact it often triggers if I'm sweeping out the garage and the broom goes under the rear bumper. The trick seems to be the motion, not letting your foot hang out under there for too long.:
I have to concur with Virgilstar, swift kicks are necessary and a learned effort.....

Old 06-12-2018, 07:09 AM
2017All4
Super Moderator
Received 507 Likes on 383 Posts
Originally Posted by gearhead60
I have to concur with Virgilstar, swift kicks are necessary and a learned effort.....
And you ARE the Zen Master of the required technique. I follow your guidance with success every time.

And doug_999, nice car. Congratulations. Surprised the dealer didn't want to take care of the chipped paint and other issues prior to delivery. I'm sure they will do what is required to attain the right level of customer satisfaction.... in fact, that's what I'd say to the dealer, copping my best Grey Poupon attitude, as in, "I'm confident that you will do whatever is required to bring this MINI up to proper delivery standards and I know you'll work with us to attain the right level of customer satisfaction. Right????"

The following users liked this post:
gearhead60 (06-12-2018)
Old 06-12-2018, 09:23 AM
Minnie.the.Moocher
OVERDRIVE
Received 570 Likes on 486 Posts
I was annoyed that my F56 hadn't been ordered with the garage door opener. Solved the problem with a $20 mini door opener from amazon that I velcro attached behind the cup holders. It is a stealthy location and you can use it without having the car on.

Nice car and saving $10K is a big win in my book.

Old 06-13-2018, 07:44 AM
doug_999
2nd Gear
@Virgilstar - any dashcam recommendations?

@2017All4 - I suspect they were like "you get what you pay for". The sales guy had another appt and did not even show us the car - he pointed and said - it is over there. To be fair, we were 45 min late and he did personally pull the plates off the wife's car and clean them and put them all. I think he might have gotten in a little trouble for quoting us the wrong rate too (apparently you pay 1% above Mini rates for a loaner or exec car). The fact is however, it is a used car with 7,500 miles - and while we tried to get my credit report unlocked, he COULD have been showing my wife the car.

@Minnie.the.Moocher - I ordered a mini garage door opener day #1 - was thinking in the door pocket however (I like your idea too). Of note, your link goes to something different

and all, just an FYI, I drive with a small bottle of Grey Poupon at all times in my car. I'm not kidding.

Old 06-13-2018, 06:39 PM
WhatV8
4th Gear
Received 76 Likes on 66 Posts
Congrats on the new ride, keep on the dealer to fix the niggly bits as they should have been corrected before delivery. May not be a gokart per se, but it can hold its own...ask me how I know!