F54 :: Clubman Talk (2015+) MINI Cooper Clubman and Clubman S Discussion

F54 What is this thing?

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2018, 05:18 AM
JohnnyQuest
2nd Gear
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
What is this thing?

I changed my wheels this weekend and noticed a very strange appendage in the front wheel well. I can't figure out its purpose. I've never seen anything like it on any other car. It doesn't move. It's just a rigid finger that sticks out. I couldn't find it on the OEM MINI Parts catalog either. Anyone know? It may be to limit (hard stop) how far the wheel can turn. I've never seen that on a car. My motorcycles have always had a similar hard stop for the front end. I guess I should have turned the wheel all the way to one side while I had it on the lift to see it if engaged a stop bolt on the caliper.

Attached Thumbnails What is this thing?-finger-1.jpg   What is this thing?-finger-2.jpg  
Old 06-11-2018, 07:16 AM
Minibeagle
6th Gear
Received 75 Likes on 68 Posts
Could that be some kind of shipping spacer that is placed on the suspension when the car leaves th factory? Maybe it should have been removed prior to delivery but wasn't? I'm like you: have never seen this before.

Old 06-11-2018, 08:27 AM
gearhead60
4th Gear
Received 89 Likes on 67 Posts
Aliens?

Old 06-13-2018, 06:49 PM
WhatV8
4th Gear
Received 76 Likes on 66 Posts
Originally Posted by Minibeagle
Could that be some kind of shipping spacer that is placed on the suspension when the car leaves th factory? Maybe it should have been removed prior to delivery but wasn't? I'm like you: have never seen this before.

It can't be removed, it is part of the spindle. I too was staring at mine when I was doing a brake job and haven't come up with a good explanation for it. Maybe I will stare a little harder when I put my OEM pads back in and come up with something, but it isn't readily evident what its function is. I can say that I know an OEM manufacturer won't put that much extra material on a part without a specific function.