F54 :: Clubman Talk (2015+) MINI Cooper Clubman and Clubman S Discussion

F54 Any manual transmission owners and/or reports on them here yet?

Old 05-29-2018, 01:08 PM
Wongway
2nd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Any manual transmission owners and/or reports on them here yet?

I've really hesitated to buy a Countryman with any sort of confidence due to the transmission(edit: sorry, more like Clutch) issues that seemed to keep popping up on their forums. (last generation)

I realize that Clubmans are a bit too new for reports to really make a big dent, but I'm curious to know if anyone here might be aware of any improvement or difference in how the manuals in the Clubmans might be compared to something like the previous generation Countryman?

Last edited by Wongway; 05-29-2018 at 02:13 PM.
Old 05-29-2018, 01:53 PM
GDGR
3rd Gear
Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts
Well, anecdotal evidence of a single car isn't much to go on. But I've had my '16 Clubman S with manual for over 2 years. It's at the dealer as we speak, and this time, they've finally agreed to replace my clutch (this is the third visit with this complaint).

Since about 4K miles, I've gotten occasional and inconsistent shudder from the clutch when taking off. It'll engage, and then during the final slip (you're already moving), it feels like the surface of the clutch is burnished and you get a quick slip-slip feeling. Hard to reproduce on-demand but sort of saps the fun of the manual.

They even replaced an engine mount trying to make it go away last time, but that didn't fix it. Hopefully the new clutch will.

That said ... no issues with the transmission itself at all :-)

The following users liked this post:
MKDrCr (08-09-2019)
Old 05-29-2018, 02:08 PM
Wongway
2nd Gear
It's not, but I really really do appreciate the input. By all means, keep me(us) updated on how it goes. Maybe see what the dealer might have to say about the condition of the clutch, etc.

Slightly off subject, but I'm currently driving a 2011 328 with the X-Drive and a manual transmission.

These days, finding a car of that type (all wheel drive + manual transmission) is relatively in short supply. At 150,000 miles on this right now, I'm just 'starting' to notice exactly what you described, so I almost wonder if there's a worn spot on the clutch or something.

Old 05-29-2018, 06:22 PM
Eric Avatar
1st Gear
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I have had a F54 JCW manual for 6 happy months now and wasn't aware there was any issues. A manual Clubman is super rare; but if you can find one, chances are you will get an excellent deal.

At highway speeds they are not as efficient as the 8 speed automatic - at 110kmh / 68mph the engine is ticking over at 2500rpm on the manual; whereas the 8 speed auto would be sitting on 2000rpm. But I really enjoy long drives - the Clubman with Adaptive Cruise Control makes it effortless.

I dont use the electric park brake at the lights as much as I used the regular park brake on my old R56. But all the hill hold technology makes it a snap.

At MINI club meets, other manual drivers joke about them as being "anti theft devices."

Old 05-30-2018, 01:37 PM
Wildtool
Neutral
2016 Manual Clubman S with 11,000 miles. No problems with the clutch; it is an absolute pleasure to drive. Previously had a 2012 MINI with 50,000 miles and no problems with that clutch either.

The manual transmission was what I was looking for, but my beloved car sat on the lot for a year waiting for a buyer (me). Seems like manual Clubmen are not flying off the lot, but I did get a very good deal because of that !

Happy Trails!

Old 05-30-2018, 07:14 PM
gearhead60
4th Gear
Received 89 Likes on 67 Posts
Love my manual All4 S. Installed the Cravenspeed short shifter with ****. Tight and notchy now. No issues after going through Cravenspeed shifter clip twice before they replaced it (under warranty) with redesigned one. See this thread... https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...t-shifter.html

Old 05-30-2018, 08:21 PM
GDGR
3rd Gear
Update on mine ... I've had the car back for a couple of days now with a new clutch, and it appears to be much better. I think I hadn't realized the extent to which I was driving around the problem. It's way better now.

Wongway (05-31-2018)
Old 06-05-2018, 06:32 PM
JimW
2nd Gear
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I have a 2011 Clubman. Despite the stories, it has been a rock solid clutch. Be careful about generalizing.

Old 06-05-2018, 06:44 PM
Wongway
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by JimW
I have a 2011 Clubman. Despite the stories, it has been a rock solid clutch. Be careful about generalizing.
Oh, I realize it. I'm just trying to see if there's been any hint of it on the new Clubmans.

The older model R60 Countrymans had a lot of issues posted in their forums the first couple years. My personal take is that the vehicle is a bit heavier than the standard MINI and many parts just simply weren't as robust to handle the added stresses compared to a smaller car (like your 2011 Clubman)

I'm hopeful that the newer Clubmans have addressed the past issues, while also being hopeful the new architecture shared with BMW makes the new Clubmans an overall better car.

I'm just waffling over the situation because there's an 2016 R60 Countryman I see at my local dealer that's rather tempting due to the price, but I am seeing 2017 Clubmans that are closer to what I'm after for close to the same price.

From reviews and watching the boards, it does seem to me that the current generation Clubmans seem to have a better build quality, which I hope also translates to better longevity in the vehicle itself.

Old 06-07-2018, 07:55 AM
JohnnyQuest
2nd Gear
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
I have 36k miles on mine and the clutch and trans are flawless and a pleasure to operate. Please don't even consider buying one with an automatic. Every time a manual driver switches to an automatic, another nail goes into the coffin (and into my heart). Every time a new car is purchased with a manual, the life of the manual box is extended a bit. Help keep them alive!

Old 06-09-2018, 08:06 PM
chrunck
6th Gear
Received 216 Likes on 181 Posts
I've got a 2012 Countryman with around 65k miles. No issues with the clutch that I've noticed.

Wongway (06-09-2018)
Old 06-23-2018, 05:12 PM
ih8cornnuts
4th Gear
Received 18 Likes on 11 Posts
2017 F54 JCW with 26k miles. Zero issues with anything including the clutch. It's a little light but that would be my only complaint.

Old 06-27-2018, 08:44 AM
CPWillys
2nd Gear
Received 47 Likes on 23 Posts
I have had a weird occurrence, periodically when shifting into second I will experience the gears grinding. I have not found the problem yet, but i suspect that the issue lies in the soft feel of the shifter and the ease of pulling it out of first and into second before I have the clutch fully engaged. The Clutch throw is so long and soft that its hard to tell when it all happens but I have experienced it in gentle and aggressive driving.

The car has 10K miles so far, I will be installing a short throw shifter to see if it helps.

Old 06-27-2018, 01:00 PM
gearhead60
4th Gear
Received 89 Likes on 67 Posts
Originally Posted by CPWillys
I have had a weird occurrence, periodically when shifting into second I will experience the gears grinding. I have not found the problem yet, but i suspect that the issue lies in the soft feel of the shifter and the ease of pulling it out of first and into second before I have the clutch fully engaged. The Clutch throw is so long and soft that its hard to tell when it all happens but I have experienced it in gentle and aggressive driving.

The car has 10K miles so far, I will be installing a short throw shifter to see if it helps.
Good Luck! I installed the Cravenspeed Short Shifter on my Clubby. It can be an ordeal to the uninitiated and inexperienced. See this thread... https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...t-shifter.html I love it as it is very notchy and precise.

CPWillys (06-29-2018)
Old 06-27-2018, 01:26 PM
ProjectMini
2nd Gear
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
2011 R60 Fwd
I use to worry from the many complaints i read on nam about the clutches. My now older more NAMified brain lets me realize that all the happy owners with zero problems are not on nam. Matter fact many happy MINI enthusiast never have read a post. Point being much like the rest of the internet its a SMALL sample size in the over all big picture. That being said its a known issue a plan accordingly. Trying to get some fellow MINI's just to wave is enough. Not everyone got the message.
Buy your car and enjoy the **** out of it.

Old 07-02-2018, 12:12 PM
JohnnyQuest
2nd Gear
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

I'm curious as to what cars you are used to driving. I'm old, and have owned exclusively manual-equipped cars my whole life. I find that the clutch/shifter feel in my F54 is among the best I've owned. While the throws are not short, they are shorter and more precise than they are on my current and two former BMWs (435 x-drive coupe, 335 x-drive coupe, Z4 3.0). I don't find anything "soft" about the F54 shifter. Perhaps you have a master/slave cylinder issue or air in the line. Why not ask your dealer to check it out while you are under warranty?

Old 07-08-2018, 08:32 AM
CPWillys
2nd Gear
Received 47 Likes on 23 Posts
Originally Posted by JohnnyQuest
I'm curious as to what cars you are used to driving. I'm old, and have owned exclusively manual-equipped cars my whole life. I find that the clutch/shifter feel in my F54 is among the best I've owned. While the throws are not short, they are shorter and more precise than they are on my current and two former BMWs (435 x-drive coupe, 335 x-drive coupe, Z4 3.0). I don't find anything "soft" about the F54 shifter. Perhaps you have a master/slave cylinder issue or air in the line. Why not ask your dealer to check it out while you are under warranty?

My manual cars have ranged over the years but my favorite and best feeling transmission and clutch system was my 2006 GTO, which that was moderately modified. Generally speaking I would say all factory clutch systems are soft, I believe the mini is plagued by a heavy flywheel and an over assisted clutch pedal, these combined make it harder to feel engaged with the car. My opinion is the clutch setup is my primary complaint, the shifter feel is not terrible but it could be improved and is a great low cost step in the right direction.

Old 10-25-2018, 08:03 AM
jvanbrecht
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have a 17 S ALL4.. with 54k miles on it.... I just started noticing the shudder from a standstill. Not sure warranty (I have an extended warranty) will cover the clutch at 54k miles. Wonder how easy (or hard) it is to replace the clutch on these cars (I generally do my own work). Have replaced clutches before.. just not in a Mini.

Old 10-27-2018, 11:05 PM
GDGR
3rd Gear
Even though I replied to this thread with the issue I had with my clutch (now fixed under warranty), I wouldn't buy one any other way.

Old 11-05-2018, 09:35 AM
Wes Hammer
1st Gear
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

i have the same issue....only from 1-2, and only when I really get on it. Grinds hard and won’t engage until the rpms drop. Reminds me of driving a pickup in the 80’s when it happens, only difference being everything is moving faster. Can’t tell if it’s a problem or just something I have to learn to deal with. This is manual tranny #12 for me so I don’t think it’s my skills!

Old 11-08-2018, 07:36 AM
Flyinace2000
6th Gear
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Wes Hammer

i have the same issue....only from 1-2, and only when I really get on it. Grinds hard and won’t engage until the rpms drop. Reminds me of driving a pickup in the 80’s when it happens, only difference being everything is moving faster. Can’t tell if it’s a problem or just something I have to learn to deal with. This is manual tranny #12 for me so I don’t think it’s my skills!
I thought it was just me! Just the 1-2 shift is sometimes a bit wonky (like 1% of the time). I usually just chalk it up to it being my wife's car that i don't drive that often. (My car is a '18 Accord 2.0 Sport 6-Speed or a 1973 Mini)