F54 :: Clubman Talk (2015+) MINI Cooper Clubman and Clubman S Discussion

F54 My Good Truck

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2017, 05:24 PM
2017All4
Super Moderator
Received 507 Likes on 383 Posts
My Good Truck

The Missus and I made our first trip to the lumber yard in our Clubman.

The guy who was helping us load commented favorably about our car. I said, "Yeah, I brought the wife with me, so I'm driving the 'good truck' today." He laughed his @ss off.

And the load made it home, poking out of the slightly open rear doors, which were kept partially closed with lumber yard twine, just like the Big Boys use.

Old 05-06-2017, 03:19 PM
Flyinace2000
6th Gear
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
I've put a few pieces of lumber on my ski rack. Worked pretty well!

Old 05-08-2017, 06:37 AM
gearhead60
4th Gear
Received 89 Likes on 67 Posts
Originally Posted by 2017All4
The Missus and I made our first trip to the lumber yard in our Clubman.

The guy who was helping us load commented favorably about our car. I said, "Yeah, I brought the wife with me, so I'm driving the 'good truck' today." He laughed his @ss off.

And the load made it home, poking out of the slightly open rear doors, which were kept partially closed with lumber yard twine, just like the Big Boys use.
We need photo evidence

Old 05-08-2017, 08:08 AM
2017All4
Super Moderator
Originally Posted by gearhead60
We need photo evidence
Sorry. One moment, one experience. You had to be there.

I saved the twine -- I suppose I could take a photo of that as proof.

Old 05-08-2017, 10:51 AM
WhatV8
4th Gear
Received 76 Likes on 66 Posts
I agree, without pics...it never happened...

Almost loaded a new hot water heater in mine, but my wife wanted to use her Patriot...hey, her choice, but it would have been pretty sweet with that sticking out the back doors.

Old 05-08-2017, 10:56 AM
TheBigNewt
OVERDRIVE
Received 103 Likes on 82 Posts
I have to put the 2 long golf clubs up on the shelf to get my golf bag in my car lol. But I can get 2 bags in there.

Old 05-08-2017, 12:37 PM
2017All4
Super Moderator
Originally Posted by TheBigNewt
I have to put the 2 long golf clubs up on the shelf to get my golf bag in my car lol. But I can get 2 bags in there.
See, now, you need a Clubman -- it will improve your handicap.

Old 05-08-2017, 12:40 PM
2017All4
Super Moderator
Update. They guy who is going to help me do the carpentry stopped by to make sure I had all the correct materials from the lumber yard. He looked at the old Jags in the garage and at the Clubman and asked which car I used to get the load home. I pointed to the Clubby and said, "My good truck." Got another chuckle. Spreading the joy.

Old 05-08-2017, 12:42 PM
gearhead60
4th Gear
Update. They guy who is going to help me do the carpentry stopped by to make sure I had all the correct materials from the lumber yard. He looked at the old Jags in the garage and at the Clubman and asked which car I used to get the load home. I pointed to the Clubby and said, "My good truck." Got another chuckle. Spreading the joy.
That's why I got the cross bars, so I could strap sheets of plywood on the roof of my clubby.....

Old 05-08-2017, 12:43 PM
2017All4
Super Moderator
Originally Posted by gearhead60
That's why I got the cross bars, so I could strap sheets of plywood on the roof of my clubby.....
That's like cheating. Gotta have shi# hangin' out the back.

Old 05-08-2017, 12:47 PM
2017All4
Super Moderator
If you strap a 4 x 8 onto the roof and position it properly, and set the Dinan to 'race,' you might be able to get airborne if you hit a dip in the road just right.

If I had the cross bars, I'd have a few beers and try it.

Redneck's last words: "Hold my beer and watch this shi#!"

Old 05-08-2017, 01:09 PM
DneprDave
6th Gear
Received 85 Likes on 77 Posts
A guy in the local MINI club brought a hot water heater home in his R56. He had to take it out of the box and fold the front seatback down, but it fit.

About ten years ago, I'd had enough with paying to have rental equipment hauled to my house or renting a truck to haul building materials home, so I bought my Good Truck.

Name:  F-350.jpg
Views: 1063
Size:  46.4 KB

Now, I wouldn't be without a pickup truck.

Old 05-08-2017, 01:23 PM
gearhead60
4th Gear
If you strap a 4 x 8 onto the roof and position it properly, and set the Dinan to 'race,' you might be able to get airborne if you hit a dip in the road just right.

If I had the cross bars, I'd have a few beers and try it.

Redneck's last words: "Hold my beer and watch this shi#!"
Why stop at a few....the Redneck's wouldn't. I should know, I'm from Virginia....

Old 05-15-2017, 10:57 AM
WhatV8
4th Gear
Proper storage/transport of a 4x8 sheet of plywood...redneck/NASCAR style...

Attached Thumbnails My Good Truck-spoiler-supreme_0.jpg  
Old 05-15-2017, 11:25 AM
2017All4
Super Moderator
Originally Posted by WhatV8
Proper storage/transport of a 4x8 sheet of plywood...redneck/NASCAR style...
See, that's the problem with posting pictures -- once seen you can't "unsee" it. And you didn't really want to see the wood hanging out the back of my Clubby's barn doors, with the twine laced between the two rear door handles holding it all together.

I feel I provided a service to humanity, and my fellow Clubmen and Clubwomen, by not posting a photo -- but you gave us the Redneck NASCAR and now I will have the image in my dreams.

Old 05-16-2017, 07:20 AM
Camyman
2nd Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I love this. I used my Clubman to transport sod one time. We were moving out of a rental house and we had killed part of the lawn with a kayak and a fire pit so we had to patch it up. Rather than use the crappy FIAT or the Subaru, we decided to give the MINI a shot. Now mind you this is water logged sod piled up in the back of my "good truck".

Pics because it happened.

Old 05-16-2017, 07:28 AM
2017All4
Super Moderator
Originally Posted by Camyman
I love this. I used my Clubman to transport sod one time. We were moving out of a rental house and we had killed part of the lawn with a kayak and a fire pit so we had to patch it up. Rather than use the crappy FIAT or the Subaru, we decided to give the MINI a shot. Now mind you this is water logged sod piled up in the back of my "good truck".

Pics because it happened.
See now, that's professional right there with a real tarp and all! If you had used hamburger wrappers or plastic supermarket bags, or maybe, dare I say, duct tape, for the moisture shield we'd have been impressed. Also, it looks like you loaded in such a way as to facilitate complete closure of the rear doors which, sorry, is a 5 point deduction. But, overall, well done!

Old 05-16-2017, 05:34 PM
WhatV8
4th Gear
I have to agree that is a 'proper' use of the capacity of a Clubby! I will refrain from posting any further redneck NASCAR photos in this thread, just don't tempt me to pull some more out of the interwebs.

Old 05-16-2017, 05:34 PM
2017All4
Super Moderator
Good Truck at the Job Site

While the lumber yard run with the load hangin' out the back was not recorded for posterity, I do have this shot of the Good Truck at the job site where the lumber was used to repair some siding that was damaged when, operating my previous Good Truck, I turned the front right tire into the garage siding and cracked the old wood in a few places.

I hope this picture helps at least partially satisfy the skeptics who require documentation.

Old 05-17-2017, 05:47 AM
gearhead60
4th Gear
See, that's the problem with posting pictures -- once seen you can't "unsee" it. And you didn't really want to see the wood hanging out the back of my Clubby's barn doors, with the twine laced between the two rear door handles holding it all together.

I feel I provided a service to humanity, and my fellow Clubmen and Clubwomen, by not posting a photo -- but you gave us the Redneck NASCAR and now I will have the image in my dreams.
I have to take exeption to the license plate frame.....free advertising to the dealer is also a major deduction.....

Old 07-18-2017, 08:49 PM
WhatV8
4th Gear
I will take a deduction for the plate frame, haven't spent the time to replace it, but did finally get an opportunity to see what all I could stuff in the back of my Clubby the other day. Nothing heavy, just bulky stuff for my local Ford/Mustang club's annual car show (i.e.- signs & raffle prizes) along with some work stuff and hazardous household chemicals going to the local recycle center. I was quite happy to see how much I could pile in there!

Attached Thumbnails My Good Truck-my-little-truck_01.jpg   My Good Truck-my-little-truck_02.jpg   My Good Truck-my-little-truck_03.jpg  
The following users liked this post:
1200K (07-19-2017)
Old 07-19-2017, 04:36 PM
2017All4
Super Moderator
I will take a deduction for the plate frame, haven't spent the time to replace it, but did finally get an opportunity to see what all I could stuff in the back of my Clubby the other day. Nothing heavy, just bulky stuff for my local Ford/Mustang club's annual car show (i.e.- signs & raffle prizes) along with some work stuff and hazardous household chemicals going to the local recycle center. I was quite happy to see how much I could pile in there!
Moderately impressive.

I'd say,from the photos, you're about half full there. Not enough weight -- gotta see the rear bumper much lower. And it appears the rear doors would close with ease -- no need for rope or lumber yard twine tying the two rear handles together with a big enough crack between the door to let a good load of carbon monoxide flow into the cabin. And the view out the back is not fully blocked. I'll give you 6 out of 10, including the license plate frame deduction.

Now, if you really want to see something, have the key fob in your jeans situated just so as you're flying off from a stoplight, feeling the Dinan joy, and your right rear door flies open because you managed to depress the key fob button when you moved your leg to go from brake to gas ... happened to me last week.

Worst part was a guy caught up to me at the next light, tooted his horn, and gestured to the back of my car, which was when I saw the open rear door.

Between that and no photos from my lumber yard adventure, I fear I'm in minus points territory. But I've got a 12 foot extension ladder I need to return -- thinkin' about using the Good Truck with the rear doors open and about 6 feet of the ladder hangin' out the back. If I do it, there will be photos and if I duct tape a red towel onto the end of the ladder, I'll be in double-bonus. Might need to have a few beers and think about it for a week, or until the Little Woman says, for the third and final time, that the ladder needs to go.

A peek into the life of a true clubman..

The following users liked this post:
1200K (07-19-2017)
Old 07-19-2017, 08:04 PM
WhatV8
4th Gear
Ha, I have to agree with your rating, the doors did just close and I didn't have a fully obstructed rear view. Definitely didn't 'stretch' the capabilities, just used the internal volume to a decent extent.

Your 12' ladder run, that should yield some impressive pics! Glad I usually don't carry my fob in my pocket and also good to know it is still active with the car running. Will keep that nugget of info in the back of my mind.

Old 07-19-2017, 08:24 PM
2017All4
Super Moderator
Glad I usually don't carry my fob in my pocket and also good to know it is still active with the car running. Will keep that nugget of info in the back of my mind.
I intend to do a bit of investigating on the key fob thing. I need to figure out which conditions allow the rear doors to be activated. I have the automatic tranny, and I was driving with the car in "D" mode when the door opened.

I believe that the brakes must be applied for the release to work when the car is in gear, whereas in Park... well, I'm gonna try various permutations and report back. And if my neighbors see me doing my tests, it will only confirm their suspicions that they've got a strange neighbor. They heard me yelling woo-hoo when I perfected the swift door kick opening move and they watched me messing around with CARLY until I got my mirrors to fold without activating the global close of the windows and sunroof -- I celebrated that as well. Is there more to life?? I think not.

Old 07-23-2017, 06:07 PM
2017All4
Super Moderator
I love washing my Clubman. It's so quick and easy and since these cars attract so much attention I feel a responsibility to keep the car spiffy at all times.

Usually hit the wet car with a few light sprays of Turtle Wax Wax & Dry and then microfiber it dry.

I get comments from the neighbors from time to time, like "Is there any paint left after all that washing?"

The other day a wise a#@ said, "I think you've washed off most of the clear coat by now." I said, "Well, gotta keep it looking nice. After all, it is my GOOD TRUCK."

Some will never understand, so I just fold and unfold my mirrors and comfort myself with my own thoughts...

Quick Reply: F54 My Good Truck