F54 :: Clubman Talk (2015+) MINI Cooper Clubman and Clubman S Discussion

My Good Truck

Old 04-24-2018, 05:12 PM
2017All4
Received 166 Likes on 149 Posts
Bratling also gets points for cool wheels.

Old 04-26-2018, 02:30 PM
bratling
6th Gear
Received 73 Likes on 65 Posts
Originally Posted by 2017All4 View Post
Bratling also gets points for cool wheels.
Thanks! They're heavy as hell but I do so love how they look. Probably I should have put that money into lightweight wheels but… ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Old 04-26-2018, 07:19 PM
gearhead60
3rd Gear
Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts
Originally Posted by bratling View Post
Thanks! They're heavy as hell but I do so love how they look. Probably I should have put that money into lightweight wheels but… ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
No question, nice looking wheels. Additional bonus points! Heavy? Who cares, they make the car look faster, therefore it follows they are lighter.

Old 04-28-2018, 08:48 AM
gearhead60
3rd Gear
Good Truck Mulch Patrol

The One Who Must be Obeyed commanded that I go get mulch today for the yard. 15 bags later, "Lilli" had swallowed as much as she could handle.

I have to take a 2 point penalty as I had originally estimated I could carry 20 2cu bags, but could only fit 15.

View from the front....

Cheap way to lower car....

Old 04-28-2018, 09:05 AM
bratling
6th Gear
Received 73 Likes on 65 Posts
[QUOTE=gearhead60;4386159]

Cheap way to lower car....[/QUOTE]

Well that’s one way to bias your weight more to the rear wheels! Time to trade for an ALL4!

Old 04-28-2018, 09:21 AM
gearhead60
3rd Gear
[QUOTE=bratling;4386164]
Originally Posted by gearhead60 View Post

Cheap way to lower car....[/QUOTE]

Well that’s one way to bias your weight more to the rear wheels! Time to trade for an ALL4!
This is an ALL4. I ordered the "Stealth Mode" package @ N/C! Left off all badges except the "CLUBMAN" on the back doors and the mini emblem on the bonnet. "CLUBMAN" didn't last the 1st week....

Old 04-28-2018, 10:07 AM
2017All4
The One Who Must be Obeyed commanded that I go get mulch today for the yard. 15 bags later, "Lilli" had swallowed as much as she could handle.

I have to take a 2 point penalty as I had originally estimated I could carry 20 2cu bags, but could only fit 15.
Okay, Gearhead60, this is a difficult one to rate. Definitely points awarded for excellent photo documentation.

However, there will be points deducted for a stealth mode car that is then loaded with decals on the window. Don't think you can have it both ways... but, wait!! Those decals are for beer. That definitely gets points; more than enough to offset the deduction for putting decals on a stealth car.

Now, we get to the load. Certainly extra points for mulch on the rear passenger seat. But, as your excellent rear view mirror photo clearly documents, there was room for more back there -- can't get full bonus points if you have a peek-a-boo rear view through the rear windows. Ain't a full load if you can still see out the back (I think that's redneck rule #7).

And I think a few points should be added for the meticulous loading and stacking, and a few more points for the nice low ride from the load. Would have received even more points if you'd have blown out the rear shocks.

Did I tell ya about the time I went to the building supply and got a couple of dozen bricks? Took my V12 Jag convertible and, as I was carefully loading bricks into the boot a guy pulled up on a forklift and said "That's an awfully nice truck for hauling materials." That's when I knew I needed to go out and get myself a really Good Truck, hence the Clubman entered our life. True story. (Maybe worth a few points??)

Last edited by 2017All4; 04-28-2018 at 10:13 AM.
Old 04-28-2018, 10:16 AM
2017All4
Oh, and extra points for not getting all 20 bags on the first run, thus "necessitating" another run in the Clubman -- presumably you'll be making the second run while 'she who must' is spreading mulch. Which will result in extra points for driving a Clubman around town on a Saturday while the wife is doing the real yardwork. Maybe you'll even have time to stop on the way home for a quick brew....

Old 04-28-2018, 02:10 PM
gearhead60
3rd Gear
Wink

Okay, Gearhead60, this is a difficult one to rate. Definitely points awarded for excellent photo documentation.

However, there will be points deducted for a stealth mode car that is then loaded with decals on the window. Don't think you can have it both ways... but, wait!! Those decals are for beer. That definitely gets points; more than enough to offset the deduction for putting decals on a stealth car.

Now, we get to the load. Certainly extra points for mulch on the rear passenger seat. But, as your excellent rear view mirror photo clearly documents, there was room for more back there -- can't get full bonus points if you have a peek-a-boo rear view through the rear windows. Ain't a full load if you can still see out the back (I think that's redneck rule #7).

And I think a few points should be added for the meticulous loading and stacking, and a few more points for the nice low ride from the load. Would have received even more points if you'd have blown out the rear shocks.

Did I tell ya about the time I went to the building supply and got a couple of dozen bricks? Took my V12 Jag convertible and, as I was carefully loading bricks into the boot a guy pulled up on a forklift and said "That's an awfully nice truck for hauling materials." That's when I knew I needed to go out and get myself a really Good Truck, hence the Clubman entered our life. True story. (Maybe worth a few points??)
Well, the point of the Stealth Package was to save me the trouble of pulling off all the ugly badges that I hate. I love clean sheet metal. As far as being stealthy in the sense of staying under the radar......Lilli the "Beer Wagon" doesn't care about that.

Old 05-30-2018, 03:09 PM
2017All4
Game of Inches

Took advantage of the Memorial Day sale and got 25% off a BBQ grill. Okay, not as good as Gearhead's garage sale scores, but the story gets better.

Had a store dude at the main exit ready to help me load. I pull up the Clubman. Drew a small crowd. You could read their faces..."He's gonna need to take that bad boy out of the box... no way it fits in the back..."

Step One: I do the swift kick, twice, to get both barn doors to auto-open. Flawless technique (had to get it right for my audience). I do a casual glance and can see I'm impressing the skeptics already.

Step Two: A spectator says, "I wonder if that's gonna fit." To which I reply...wait for it.... "No problem. This here's my good truck."

Step Three: My helper and I get on either side of the box, do the lift and the top of the box rubs slightly against the upper door gasket and the bottom of the box is right on the bottom threshold.

Step Four: We both give it a gentle shove and in it slides and drops right in with room to spare. The crowd disperses, perhaps disappointed, but definitely, IMHO, impressed.

Step Five: Once home, I get my 4-wheel furniture dolly, place it behind my Good Truck, place a towel over the bumper, and slide that baby right onto the dolly in a single move. No back strain, happy spouse, and now the joy of some assembly required awaits...

Just another Great Day usin' the Good Truck as designed and intended.

Old 05-30-2018, 03:22 PM
GDGR
3rd Gear
Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
My wife wants to get rid of our big-block 'Burb ('04 Suburban 2500 with the 8.1L), but I have a hard time parting with it. It was My Good Truck for many years towing BIG trailers and carrying all sorts of stuff and people. It came in handy just last weekend picking up a bunch of 10' lumber. But these days we rarely need it and almost never drive it, mostly because of the gas mileage (it's bad), which is why it has less than 80K miles on it.

You are making me consider the thought that maybe I really could get by with the Clubman.

Old 05-30-2018, 03:32 PM
2017All4
Originally Posted by GDGR View Post
My wife wants to get rid of our big-block 'Burb ('04 Suburban 2500 with the 8.1L), but I have a hard time parting with it. It was My Good Truck for many years towing BIG trailers and carrying all sorts of stuff and people. It came in handy just last weekend picking up a bunch of 10' lumber. But these days we rarely need it and almost never drive it, mostly because of the gas mileage (it's bad), which is why it has less than 80K miles on it.

You are making me consider the thought that maybe I really could get by with the Clubman.
Don't know about towing big stuff, but 10 foot boards hang out the back of a Clubman and ride real nice, with or without a red flag

Old 05-30-2018, 04:00 PM
DneprDave
6th Gear
Received 60 Likes on 55 Posts
I've had my 1997 F350 for years, I only drive it about a thousand miles a year, but when I need it, I need it. I would never get rid of it.

Old 05-30-2018, 06:56 PM
gearhead60
3rd Gear
Took advantage of the Memorial Day sale and got 25% off a BBQ grill. Okay, not as good as Gearhead's garage sale scores, but the story gets better.

Had a store dude at the main exit ready to help me load. I pull up the Clubman. Drew a small crowd. You could read their faces..."He's gonna need to take that bad boy out of the box... no way it fits in the back..."

Step One: I do the swift kick, twice, to get both barn doors to auto-open. Flawless technique (had to get it right for my audience). I do a casual glance and can see I'm impressing the skeptics already.

Step Two: A spectator says, "I wonder if that's gonna fit." To which I reply...wait for it.... "No problem. This here's my good truck."

Step Three: My helper and I get on either side of the box, do the lift and the top of the box rubs slightly against the upper door gasket and the bottom of the box is right on the bottom threshold.

Step Four: We both give it a gentle shove and in it slides and drops right in with room to spare. The crowd disperses, perhaps disappointed, but definitely, IMHO, impressed.

Step Five: Once home, I get my 4-wheel furniture dolly, place it behind my Good Truck, place a towel over the bumper, and slide that baby right onto the dolly in a single move. No back strain, happy spouse, and now the joy of some assembly required awaits...

Just another Great Day usin' the Good Truck as designed and intended.
Definitely high points for this load due to the kudos, quality writing and the load. You'll enjoy that Charbroil....have one myself.

Old 05-30-2018, 07:21 PM
vetsvette
Received 354 Likes on 281 Posts
Originally Posted by GDGR View Post

I know what you mean. I have a '00 2500HD Suburban that I can't bring myself to part with. Sometimes It's nice to drive around feeling like you're sitting on the living room couch with those dual A/Cs blowing. 170K miles on mine, but don't plan to part with it unless I replace it with another. Maybe just a 1500 next time, since I don't do any heavy towing any more. The gas mileage does suck and it hurts my feelings every time I fill that 36 gallon tank.

Old 05-31-2018, 07:23 AM
2017All4
Definitely high points for this load due to the kudos, quality writing and the load. You'll enjoy that Charbroil....have one myself.
Thanks. Assembly complete -- ready to fire up. No blood drawn during assembly. Hope I don't miss my 17 year old Broilmaster, but I think this infrared concept holds promise. Got a load of sausage of various types from Olympia Provisions. Looking forward to smoking those babies up.

But one thing I'm not gonna do is load my old grill into the Good Truck. Gonna disassemble and feed it to the dumpster down the alley instead. Got the green light from the neighbor who doesn't want me getting the interior of my Good Truck dirty. Feelin' the love.

Old 05-31-2018, 09:51 AM
gearhead60
3rd Gear
Thanks. Assembly complete -- ready to fire up. No blood drawn during assembly. Hope I don't miss my 17 year old Broilmaster, but I think this infrared concept holds promise. Got a load of sausage of various types from Olympia Provisions. Looking forward to smoking those babies up.

But one thing I'm not gonna do is load my old grill into the Good Truck. Gonna disassemble and feed it to the dumpster down the alley instead. Got the green light from the neighbor who doesn't want me getting the interior of my Good Truck dirty. Feelin' the love.
Why bother with the disassembly? Drag it to the curb and put a sign on it that says "FREE"..... should be gone in no time!

Old 05-31-2018, 10:01 AM
2017All4
Why bother with the disassembly? Drag it to the curb and put a sign on it that says "FREE"..... should be gone in no time!
After 17 years there wasn't much left of that old grill to even offer for free. It's apart and in the dumpsta! Movin' on...

Old 05-31-2018, 01:32 PM
Michael Hayes
2nd Gear
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
gearhead60:

Well, you beat me. I got 14 bags into my digital blue and white Clubman at a time.
SWMBO insisted on no less than 40 bags in total! Three trips to Home Depot.

Old 06-01-2018, 04:26 AM
trentiles
4th Gear
Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts
The real question is how many kegs can Lilli the Beer Wagon hold?

The following users liked this post:
2017All4 (06-01-2018)
Old 06-01-2018, 10:29 AM
gearhead60
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by trentiles View Post
The real question is how many kegs can Lilli the Beer Wagon hold?
That would certainly depend on the number of gallons you need for your party. By my estimate, six (6) 1/2 kegs with 15.5 gallons in each would definitely fit. Possibly another one or two depending on actual dimensions of the keg. However, if you are like my nephew who brews his own and transports each batch in old coke cannisters (with CO2), likely a dozen or more for a real home brew party! Will it get tested out? Not for a while as my sons are still solidly single and I don't have any weddings that I need to attend and supply the beer.....

On the other hand, Lilli was designed to travel to the more than 200 breweries that now exist in Virginia....happy trails!

Old 06-01-2018, 12:22 PM
trentiles
4th Gear
Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

Old 06-01-2018, 02:20 PM
2017All4
My brother-in-law gave me a slow-smoked BBQ brisket recipe for my new grill. The mop needs to be applied hourly. The mop sauce contains beer which, according to the recipe, must be a Texas-brewed brand. Recipe says mop once an hour and have one beer/hour. It's a 6 hour process.

Soooo, at a beer an hour, and at least one Q per week, how many weeks worth of Texas-brewed beer can Gearhead deliver in a single load, assuming he's got a Clubman full of mulch that his better half needs for the yard....

The math on this boggles the mind.....

We need to consult VetsVette on this one. He's a Certified BBQ Judge. Real Deal, with a big old Good Truck of his own.

Old 06-01-2018, 03:53 PM
Minnie.the.Moocher
6th Gear
Received 360 Likes on 317 Posts
After years of chasing the elusive BBQ brisket etc. and spending time on a smoke filled patio I learned the two words that would free me from it all.

Sous Vide

Best briskets I ever had were made in a plastic pouch in a water bath. Apologies in advance to old school pit masters who like to mop and play.

The following 2 users liked this post by Minnie.the.Moocher:
2017All4 (06-01-2018), DneprDave (06-01-2018)
Old 06-01-2018, 03:58 PM
2017All4
Originally Posted by Minnie.the.Moocher View Post
After years of chasing the elusive BBQ brisket etc. and spending time on a smoke filled patio I learned the two words that would free me from it all.

Sous Vide

Best briskets I ever had were made in a plastic pouch in a water bath. Apologies in advance to old school pit masters who like to mop and play.
As they say, it's all good, some's better.

Especially if you're tailgating off the back of your Good Truck

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: