F54 :: Clubman Talk (2015+) MINI Cooper Clubman and Clubman S Discussion

My Good Truck

Old 06-01-2018, 05:42 PM
DneprDave
6th Gear
Received 60 Likes on 55 Posts
I bought a Sous Vide cooker a couple of months ago, talk about low and slow and you don't have to watch it! Yum!

Old 06-01-2018, 06:25 PM
2017All4
Received 161 Likes on 145 Posts
Okay. I had to run all this past a Higher Authority. Consulted SWMBO. I read her Moocher's comment about "Two Words. Sous Vide." Her response was, "I've got two words for you... 'TAKE OUT.'"

Fortunately we have an excellent BBQ joint within walking distance, so no need to take the Good Truck to get Q -- simply walk there and crawl home (over 20 craft brews on tap).

She also gave me an Italian lesson. She said, while Sous Vide makes for tender and delicious brisket, apparently there is often an issue with this technique resulting in 'brutto ma buono'(ugly but good). An Italian phrase that will never be used to describe our Good Trucks. (though it might be used to describe some of the loads I've hauled!!)

Old 06-03-2018, 01:48 PM
gearhead60
3rd Gear
Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts
Originally Posted by 2017All4 View Post
Okay. I had to run all this past a Higher Authority. Consulted SWMBO. I read her Moocher's comment about "Two Words. Sous Vide." Her response was, "I've got two words for you... 'TAKE OUT.'"

Fortunately we have an excellent BBQ joint within walking distance, so no need to take the Good Truck to get Q -- simply walk there and crawl home (over 20 craft brews on tap).

She also gave me an Italian lesson. She said, while Sous Vide makes for tender and delicious brisket, apparently there is often an issue with this technique resulting in 'brutto ma buono'(ugly but good). An Italian phrase that will never be used to describe our Good Trucks. (though it might be used to describe some of the loads I've hauled!!)
Going against SHMBO would be sacreligous! Good thing cooler heads prevailed......

Old 06-03-2018, 02:28 PM
Minnie.the.Moocher
6th Gear
Received 356 Likes on 314 Posts

A couple of minutes under an infra-red broiler and ugly but good becomes beautiful, like Sophia Loren or Monica Bellucci. Good enough to . . . (never mind).

Take out works well, especially if you can walk to it. But then again for not a lot of money I can make a great grass fed brisket for a lot less cash.

Sous vide = season, toss in bag, seal and dunk in water. Walk away for 24-28 hours, come back, unseal, dry with paper towel and broil. Total work time 15 minutes.

The following users liked this post:
2017All4 (06-03-2018)
Old 06-03-2018, 05:35 PM
2017All4
Originally Posted by gearhead60 View Post
Going against SHMBO would be sacreligous! Good thing cooler heads prevailed......
Celebrated 34 years of marital bliss yesterday. Many very happy years of cooler heads prevailing.

Plus, always driving the Good Truck sanely when SHMBO is riding shotgun.

gearhead60 (06-03-2018)
Old 02-11-2019, 04:47 PM
2017All4
Striving Toward Good Truck Perfection

Took the Good Truck into the local MINI dealer for the second annual scheduled service (time flies). Was asked if I had any issues with my MINI. I told the service writer the only thing that was a minor irritant was that the side mirrors were quite noisy.

He didn't even ask me to demonstrate, which was kind of heart breaking because I wanted to use my key fob or the door button to fold and unfold them for him. Anyway, they replaced both mirror mechanisms (driver and front passenger) and still got me out with barely enough time to enjoy two free lattes. from the machine in the service lobby. They said they did the replacement because the factory recommended lube fix doesn't usually solve the issue.

Livin' large in my small Good Truck.

ECSTuning (02-12-2019)
Old 02-12-2019, 07:33 AM
gearhead60
3rd Gear
Took the Good Truck into the local MINI dealer for the second annual scheduled service (time flies). Was asked if I had any issues with my MINI. I told the service writer the only thing that was a minor irritant was that the side mirrors were quite noisy.

He didn't even ask me to demonstrate, which was kind of heart breaking because I wanted to use my key fob or the door button to fold and unfold them for him. Anyway, they replaced both mirror mechanisms (driver and front passenger) and still got me out with barely enough time to enjoy two free lattes. from the machine in the service lobby. They said they did the replacement because the factory recommended lube fix doesn't usually solve the issue.

I'm due a service. I'll have to hit them up for the noisy mirrors for a 2nd time. Hope they do the same for me.....

Old 02-12-2019, 07:55 AM
2017All4
I'm due a service. I'll have to hit them up for the noisy mirrors for a 2nd time. Hope they do the same for me.....
Show them your kick technique. They will be putty in your hands. And don't forget to enjoy your latte, courtesy of MINI.

Old 02-12-2019, 10:01 AM
gearhead60
3rd Gear
Show them your kick technique. They will be putty in your hands. And don't forget to enjoy your latte, courtesy of MINI.
I'm more of the IPA variety, but they might frown on the service and drink method....

Old 02-12-2019, 04:09 PM
2017All4
I'm more of the IPA variety, but they might frown on the service and drink method....
When you get the survey after your service visit, mention a tap in the lounge would be a welcome enhancement. Watney's Stout or maybe Newcastle? After all, in theory MINIs are British cars.... Cheers.

Old 02-12-2019, 07:23 PM
gearhead60
3rd Gear
When you get the survey after your service visit, mention a tap in the lounge would be a welcome enhancement. Watney's Stout or maybe Newcastle? After all, in theory MINIs are British cars.... Cheers.
I've always been partial to a black and tan with Harp and Guinness....

Old 02-13-2019, 08:17 AM
2017All4
Looks like you're gonna need to ask your dealer to install two taps then.

Old 02-13-2019, 09:50 AM
gearhead60
3rd Gear
Talking

Looks like you're gonna need to ask your dealer to install two taps then.

Old 02-13-2019, 10:11 AM
WhatV8
3rd Gear
Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts
Mmmm, make mine with a Bass and Guinness Antwerpen...

Old 02-13-2019, 01:16 PM
2017All4
Originally Posted by WhatV8 View Post
Mmmm, make mine with a Bass and Guinness Antwerpen...

Old 02-22-2019, 04:31 PM
gearhead60
3rd Gear

Lilli is getting the SPA treatment this weekend at MINI. Dropped it off this AM for oil change and for them to check out the groaning mirrors and see if they can get my horn to sound easier. I didn't even have to show them my kicking technique! Getting new mirror assemblies and steering wheel for my whining. Won't be ready til Monday due to needing to order in mirror parts. Oh well, warranty work is a *****.......

Old 02-22-2019, 05:07 PM
2017All4
Lilli is getting the SPA treatment this weekend at MINI. Dropped it off this AM for oil change and for them to check out the groaning mirrors and see if they can get my horn to sound easier. I didn't even have to show them my kicking technique! Getting new mirror assemblies and steering wheel for my whining. Won't be ready til Monday due to needing to order in mirror parts. Oh well, warranty work is a *****.......
Cool. Ask for the JCW steering wheel -- makes the car go much faster.
And check out the lounge for beer taps.

Old 02-22-2019, 06:44 PM
gearhead60
3rd Gear
Cool. Ask for the JCW steering wheel -- makes the car go much faster.
And check out the lounge for beer taps.
Not sure I want to go faster than those flying doors move me......

Old 03-05-2019, 05:57 PM
2017All4
Another Interesting Brew Option

Visiting the Morgan site, in addition to seeing some really nice "Good Trucks," I came upon these:

Old 03-19-2019, 12:06 PM
2017All4
Bricks n' Mortar

Sad story with a happy ending.

Our next door neighbor is doing a major remodel. While removing an old concrete walkway between the neighbor's garage and our garage, the crew managed to hit our gas main. That was Saturday afternoon about 4:30.

Gas company locked our meter and said they would come back and turn the gas on after we installed a new main.

No heat, no hot water, no cooktop, and, worst of all, no natural gas fired grill for the weekend!!

Monday morning the plumber shows up... late. But we all hustle and get the new line in and by 6:30PM Monday evening the gas company certifies no leaks and unlocks our meter.

Like all MINI owners who have a deeper understanding of the universe, I channeled my Clubman super-powers and figured out a way to run the new gas line without having to jackhammer the decking the covers the area where the gas line enters our house. We were able to do a small saw cut, dig a narrow trench for the new pipe, and install a single brick ribbon that matches the other brick ribbons along the decking. And I was able to relocate the gas hook up for my grill to a much more convenient location, which made it all worth while, for me anyway. Spouse may hold different views.

Tuesday morning a Home Depot run was required to get two 90 pound sacks of concrete and a fifty pound sack of mortar and about 20 bricks to button everything up. Off I went in my Good Truck.

Sadly, not a single person stopped to admire my MINI at Home Depot.

However... when I got back home and was unloading the materials, my neighbor's general contractor came out to the street and helped me get it unloaded. As his guys were hauling the wheelbarrow full of stuff over to where they were going to put in the brick ribbon, the general contract said to me, "I like your vehicle."

Here it comes.
I replied, "Yeah, it's my Good Truck."

Last edited by 2017All4; 03-19-2019 at 12:12 PM.
The following 3 users liked this post by 2017All4:
ECSTuning (03-19-2019), Evlkarl (05-06-2019), vetsvette (05-05-2019)
Old 03-19-2019, 01:35 PM
gearhead60
3rd Gear
Sad story with a happy ending.

Our next door neighbor is doing a major remodel. While removing an old concrete walkway between the neighbor's garage and our garage, the crew managed to hit our gas main. That was Saturday afternoon about 4:30.

Gas company locked our meter and said they would come back and turn the gas on after we installed a new main.

No heat, no hot water, no cooktop, and, worst of all, no natural gas fired grill for the weekend!!

Monday morning the plumber shows up... late. But we all hustle and get the new line in and by 6:30PM Monday evening the gas company certifies no leaks and unlocks our meter.

Like all MINI owners who have a deeper understanding of the universe, I channeled my Clubman super-powers and figured out a way to run the new gas line without having to jackhammer the decking the covers the area where the gas line enters our house. We were able to do a small saw cut, dig a narrow trench for the new pipe, and install a single brick ribbon that matches the other brick ribbons along the decking. And I was able to relocate the gas hook up for my grill to a much more convenient location, which made it all worth while, for me anyway. Spouse may hold different views.

Tuesday morning a Home Depot run was required to get two 90 pound sacks of concrete and a fifty pound sack of mortar and about 20 bricks to button everything up. Off I went in my Good Truck.

Sadly, not a single person stopped to admire my MINI at Home Depot.

However... when I got back home and was unloading the materials, my neighbor's general contractor came out to the street and helped me get it unloaded. As his guys were hauling the wheelbarrow full of stuff over to where they were going to put in the brick ribbon, the general contract said to me, "I like your vehicle."

Here it comes.
I replied, "Yeah, it's my Good Truck."
So the contractor damages your gas lateral and you have replace it yourself? Pay for it yourself? You keep saying "we" in your description of the clusterf**k. Here in the East, the damn contractor would be responsible for the whole shooting match including making sure the install was done and inspected...... BTW, I would have charged them for the extra materials in the "Good Truck", including the fuel and time.....

Old 03-19-2019, 02:07 PM
2017All4
So the contractor damages your gas lateral and you have replace it yourself? Pay for it yourself? You keep saying "we" in your description of the clusterf**k. Here in the East, the damn contractor would be responsible for the whole shooting match including making sure the install was done and inspected...... BTW, I would have charged them for the extra materials in the "Good Truck", including the fuel and time.....
Well, the pony at the bottom of this pile of... manure was that the contractor stepped up without my asking and it was my decision to use this minor disaster as an opportunity to replace the entire line from meter to house. The contractor offered to repair the leg that was leaking where his boyz came n contact with it. I decided to redo the entire 50 plus year old main line while we were at it. My total cost was $500 cash to the plumber. My estimate of what this entire project would have cost had I decided to replace the entire line myself is north of 4 grand.

Plus, my neighbor who is doing the remodel stopped by and handed my wife a $100 gift card for the local fish house, wrapped in a gift bag with poofy tissue.

New gas line, good will all around. Good will is worth a lot down here.

They're finishing the brick work as I write. I paid $31 for the bricks and mortar. The rest is on them, including all the saw cutting and the haul away and the brick laying.

Also, there are always other "factors." Code says the gas line needs to be buried 18 inches below grade. Ours wasn't close to that depth at the point where the guys hit it. It was old, rusty galvanized pipe -- not black gas pipe and certainly not the modern stuff. Previous owner clearly did a quick-and-dirty homeowner special on that funky old gas line.

But most important of all, I got to make another Home Depot run in my Good Truck. I'd probably pay to do that.

Old 03-19-2019, 02:14 PM
GDGR
3rd Gear
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Awesome story! I also did some Home Depot runs this weekend, but the buying trip happened in the Suburban (my 12-year-old really wanted to buy drywall with the Clubman, but I said no, it fits inside the 'Burb!), and the returning-extra-stuff trip happened in the Z4 with the top down. Clubbie didn't even get exercised.

Last edited by GDGR; 03-19-2019 at 04:10 PM.
Old 03-19-2019, 02:33 PM
gearhead60
3rd Gear
Well, the pony at the bottom of this pile of... manure was that the contractor stepped up without my asking and it was my decision to use this minor disaster as an opportunity to replace the entire line from meter to house. The contractor offered to repair the leg that was leaking where his boyz came n contact with it. I decided to redo the entire 50 plus year old main line while we were at it. My total cost was $500 cash to the plumber. My estimate of what this entire project would have cost had I decided to replace the entire line myself is north of 4 grand.

Plus, my neighbor who is doing the remodel stopped by and handed my wife a $100 gift card for the local fish house, wrapped in a gift bag with poofy tissue.

New gas line, good will all around. Good will is worth a lot down here.

They're finishing the brick work as I write. I paid $31 for the bricks and mortar. The rest is on them, including all the saw cutting and the haul away and the brick laying.

Also, there are always other "factors." Code says the gas line needs to be buried 18 inches below grade. Ours wasn't close to that depth at the point where the guys hit it. It was old, rusty galvanized pipe -- not black gas pipe and certainly not the modern stuff. Previous owner clearly did a quick-and-dirty homeowner special on that funky old gas line.

But most important of all, I got to make another Home Depot run in my Good Truck. I'd probably pay to do that.
Sounds like some sound decisions were made here. That 50+ year old galvanized line was ready blow anyway so providence was likely in play here. Of course, never discount the chance to excercise the "Good Truck".

2017All4 (03-19-2019)
Old 03-19-2019, 03:35 PM
Minnie.the.Moocher
6th Gear
Received 356 Likes on 314 Posts
It's good that nothing blew up. Not that long ago here in Portland a contractor did similar and blew up a good part of a block of stores and apartments.

Maybe for your next car you should upgrade to something with armor.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: