Electrical For discussions regarding wiring up electrical modifications such as radar detectors, brake light mods, power sockets, and driving lights in Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Electrical The OEM Halogens ---> OEM Xenons diaries

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2007, 10:39 PM
burley
6th Gear
Received 69 Likes on 53 Posts
The OEM Halogens ---> OEM Xenons diaries

As a few of you may have noticed from my excessive posting this month, I was looking for OEM xenons to put in my 03 cooper. I ran into a lot of people who said reprograming was necessary, and a few said just plug and play. Needless to say I looked like this --- :impatient

Well, I wanted to start a database of people who have actually done it first hand. So, from this, I will start...

There seemed to be a few factors that effected the xenons working.

1. If your car was originally Halogen or Xenon.

2. What year your cooper is.

3. (If OEM) What year xenon you're trying to put in.

4. Levelers / washers?

--------------

Here's my story, and I would like all who have done this to add to this thread.

1. Halogen
2. 03 MC
3. 04 Xenons (OEM).
4. Washers / no auto levelers (manual leveling controls)

RESULTS - Plug and play. Worked w/ no problems.

Comments - I was given D2S bulbs, instead of d2R, so the cutoff is undefined and the glare is not great.

Here are some pics

Attached Thumbnails The OEM Halogens ---> OEM Xenons diaries-_mik6479.jpg   The OEM Halogens ---> OEM Xenons diaries-_mik6475.jpg   The OEM Halogens ---> OEM Xenons diaries-_mik6531.jpg  

Last edited by burley; 08-29-2007 at 07:59 AM.
Old 08-29-2007, 07:34 AM
Rally@StanceDesign
Former Vendor
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Wanna watch this...I'm interested

Old 08-29-2007, 07:37 AM
Loony2N
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I think posters should also specify if the put in real Xenon units, with the levellers, or just Xenon bulbs with ballasts.

Old 08-29-2007, 07:56 AM
burley
6th Gear
Originally Posted by LynnEl
I think posters should also specify if the put in real Xenon units, with the levellers, or just Xenon bulbs with ballasts.
Good point... I'll use the good ol' edit tool on my post. I think most importantly, everyone wants to see photos too.

"Real Xenon units", meaning OEM? Do you mean that "just xenon bulbs w/ ballasts" are drop in after markets? Thats cool if people want to include non OEM too, but the point of this thread is to see what OEM Xenons could be swapped as plug and play. I see some 05+ xenons on the market, and people are afraid they wont work in their coopers, myself included.

Last edited by burley; 08-29-2007 at 08:04 AM.
Old 08-29-2007, 08:12 AM
gohandbz8
2nd Gear
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I subscribed to this thread to see some of the results. Ideally, I would love to have the projector oems put into my 03.

Old 08-30-2007, 09:46 AM
burley
6th Gear
I should amend the title of the thread, because I would also like to see people post who have gone from 02-04 xenons ---> 05+ xenons.

Old 08-30-2007, 04:42 PM
03Indigo
User Title's are Silly
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have gone 03 to 06, plug and play, direct fit.

Old 08-30-2007, 05:13 PM
burley
6th Gear
Originally Posted by 03Indigo
I have gone 03 to 06, plug and play, direct fit.
You had 03 xenons, and went to 06 xenons? Good to hear.

I think the trouble lies in going from Halogens to 05+ Xenons.

Old 08-30-2007, 05:20 PM
03Indigo
User Title's are Silly
there should be no difference, the level function won't work, neither will the washers, but once you aim them, really, the level issue is MINIMAL. Mine rarely move. I also never really use the washers, so wish they were not active.

if older halogens were plug and play for 03 xenons, and 03 xenons were plug and play for 06 xenons...I am using deductive reasoning and gonna make the leap and say halogens are plug and play with 06 xenons....excluding leveling and washers...but that is a minor thing, IMHO>

Old 08-30-2007, 05:27 PM
burley
6th Gear
there should be no difference, the level function won't work, neither will the washers, but once you aim them, really, the level issue is MINIMAL. Mine rarely move. I also never really use the washers, so wish they were not active.

if older halogens were plug and play for 03 xenons, and 03 xenons were plug and play for 06 xenons...I am using deductive reasoning and gonna make the leap and say halogens are plug and play with 06 xenons....excluding leveling and washers...but that is a minor thing, IMHO>

By that same reasoning, I would come to that conclusion too, but I have talked to a NAMer who had trouble w/ that same combo. It seems that, for some reason, they're not compatible. Maybe it was an isolated instance.

If there's anyone who has swapped Halogens for 05+ Xenons, let us know. If thats the case, then it seems that EVERYTHING should be plug and play.

Old 08-30-2007, 05:34 PM
03Indigo
User Title's are Silly
well, I think it was isolated...afterall, my other set of 06 xenons are compatible wtih my garage door opener ...they turn on when the garage door goes up and down, hehe.

Old 08-30-2007, 05:53 PM
burley
6th Gear
I think I'd be compatible w/ your garage

Thats one sweet set up... Whats w/ the extra bonnet?

Old 08-30-2007, 06:24 PM
03Indigo
User Title's are Silly
got it off a wrecked MC, put on a spare grill, added the headlights, it makes for great themed wall art . I also have spare tail lights, front and rear bumpers, exhaust, wheels, and a ton of interior parts, seats, panels, etc. I can almost build an entire second car, haha.

Old 08-30-2007, 06:38 PM
burley
6th Gear
got it off a wrecked MC, put on a spare grill, added the headlights, it makes for great themed wall art . I also have spare tail lights, front and rear bumpers, exhaust, wheels, and a ton of interior parts, seats, panels, etc. I can almost build an entire second car, haha.
I'll take your spare set of projector xenons

Old 08-30-2007, 06:43 PM
03Indigo
User Title's are Silly
I don't have a "spare" set, I am using all of them

Old 08-30-2007, 06:52 PM
Minifiend
4th Gear
I have 05 halogens and tried to go to 05 projectors. didn't work. the lights work on other 05 projector cars but not on mine. so the lights work. had the dealer re-flash me for xenons...did nothing. I would love to find an answer so that I can use the $1,000 worth of lights sitting in my garage. Thanks for the help so far Burley!

Old 08-30-2007, 06:53 PM
GP1152
3rd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
well, I think it was isolated...afterall, my other set of 06 xenons are compatible wtih my garage door opener ...they turn on when the garage door goes up and down, hehe.
Indigo.....nice garage. Guess there ARE mini owners out there that are as **** as I am (see pic below).........
Ok, as to the topic. Can anyone tell me what bulbs I can get that will be the closest to looking like xenon's? I got the Halo/angel eye lights and want to get the bulbs to match those as closely as possible (see pic below)...

Old 08-30-2007, 08:03 PM
03Indigo
User Title's are Silly
you are not going to find a halogen bulb that will be as white/blue as the angle eyes. Even my 6000K xenons are still whiter than my angle eyes (I have the same set you have from Moss.

You can retro fit Xenon bulbs for around $200, but you will have a slight oncoming traffic glare issue, but overall, that is minor, in my opinion. That will really be the only choice you have to get your lights closer to match. Either that, or switch to a different LED in the halo markers...but that would make them yellow or what ever color you put in there.

here is a shot of my "wall" xenons, which are now 6000K over the halogens I initially put in there

Great garage BTW...I have seen pics of your place before, I love your floors, after we finish with other major house improvements, (on our newly built 1.5 year old house, haha), my wife will allow me to do the floors and put in the flat screen TV and couch

Old 08-30-2007, 08:07 PM
03Indigo
User Title's are Silly
Originally Posted by Minifiend
I have 05 halogens and tried to go to 05 projectors. didn't work. the lights work on other 05 projector cars but not on mine. so the lights work. had the dealer re-flash me for xenons...did nothing. I would love to find an answer so that I can use the $1,000 worth of lights sitting in my garage. Thanks for the help so far Burley!
It makes no sense to me why they don't work. My car can run any set, halogens, original xenons, and 06 projector xenons...all are plug and play. Battrugger just plugged in my original xenons from his halogens and it worked fine as well. I wonder what is different about the 05 halogen wiring that makes it not jive....

Old 08-30-2007, 08:59 PM
burley
6th Gear
[/QUOTE]

Are you kidding me? You have projector xenons on your wall? Do they work? They looked a bit dim for xenons. Looks great!!

Old 08-30-2007, 09:04 PM
03Indigo
User Title's are Silly
yes, they work, but I pulled out the ballasts and bulbs due to heat that close to a wall in the house. I initially put in a halogen bulb, but have since switched to a super white 16 LED bulb that looks very close to a 6000K xenon bulb, just not quite as bright. It puts of nearly NO heat, that was my main concern. When I open the garage door, the lights go on. Then they turn off with the light timer on the garage door opener. When I push the garage door opener to close it, they turn on again. I can also manually turn them on by a switch at the door to the house. When I have time, I am going to cut into the back of the projector housing and make more room for more LEDs to increase the light output

Yes, I have a sickness, and I am seaking help....as I sit in my MINI Cooper office chair that I made from my cordoba beige heated seats that came with my cooper

Old 08-30-2007, 09:11 PM
burley
6th Gear
yes, they work, but I pulled out the ballasts and bulbs due to heat that close to a wall in the house. I initially put in a halogen bulb, but have since switched to a super white 16 LED bulb that looks very close to a 6000K xenon bulb, just not quite as bright. It puts of nearly NO heat, that was my main concern. When I open the garage door, the lights go on. Then they turn off with the light timer on the garage door opener. When I push the garage door opener to close it, they turn on again. I can also manually turn them on by a switch at the door to the house. When I have time, I am going to cut into the back of the projector housing and make more room for more LEDs to increase the light output

Yes, I have a sickness, and I am seaking help....as I sit in my MINI Cooper office chair that I made from my cordoba beige heated seats that came with my cooper
You are truly a sick man....

You want to sell the ballasts and bulbs? You should just buy these... from ebay

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...ayphotohosting
They look like the xenons, but way cheaper....Then you can GIVE me yours...hahhaha

Old 08-30-2007, 09:15 PM
03Indigo
User Title's are Silly
LOL, not a chance. I am keeping the ballasts and bulbs in case my current ones go bad sometime down the line.

Old 08-30-2007, 09:21 PM
tazio
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by gusmiami

Ooh. You put those ricey blue ring parking lights on a GP? Sacrilege!

Old 08-30-2007, 09:36 PM
burley
6th Gear
Originally Posted by tazio
Ooh. You put those ricey blue ring parking lights on a GP? Sacrilege!
Those would look great w/ these bad boys...

Attached Thumbnails The OEM Halogens ---> OEM Xenons diaries-pro_mini02tmt.jpg  

Quick Reply: Electrical The OEM Halogens ---> OEM Xenons diaries