Electrical For discussions regarding wiring up electrical modifications such as radar detectors, brake light mods, power sockets, and driving lights in Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Electrical The OEM Halogens ---> OEM Xenons diaries

Old 08-30-2007, 09:50 PM
03Indigo
User Title's are Silly
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by tazio
Ooh. You put those ricey blue ring parking lights on a GP? Sacrilege!

I totally disagree, I have them, so do a ton of Mad Modders on the board. I think they look much better than the OEM 1980's rippled glass look. I say the halo lenses on the GP, and my car, are the hawtness

and they would match the lights from ebay...just wonder about the washers and the quality of the lens on something like that....cheap means cheap....and when it comes to headlights, I want to see WELL at night.

Old 08-31-2007, 12:23 AM
Minifiend
4th Gear
Burley - I appreciate you continued dedication to figure all this out. It's nice to have help. Those eBay lights are for Coopers only, not the Cooper S. Either way, I have a pair that I know work, I just can't figure out whats going on with my car. Have we determined if anyone with an 05+ has gone from 05+ halogens to 05+ projectors? I think mine might have come from Canada...but I am not sure, will that have any effect?

03Indigo - Great pictures. Just curious, how did get power to the xenons on the wall to make them work outside the vehicle? Very creative way of storing an extra pair of lights. lol.

Old 08-31-2007, 12:46 AM
03Indigo
User Title's are Silly
Originally Posted by Minifiend
Those eBay lights are for Coopers only, not the Cooper S.

03Indigo - Great pictures. Just curious, how did get power to the xenons on the wall to make them work outside the vehicle? Very creative way of storing an extra pair of lights. lol.
there is NO difference between the wiring harness of the MC and MCS. When you order the lights from a dealer, they are the same part numbers, so why would there be a difference from an aftermarket product on eBay. Personally, that is the first set of aftermarket lights I have seen for the MINIs...I would question the manufacture of them, the lens integrity to rock chips, etc. But that is just me. At least there are options.

as far as power to the lights, they are wired into the garage door opener. I removed the ballasts, ignitors and bulbs. I retrofitted power to a standard desk lamp bulb set up...and converted it later to an LED set up. Uses standard house voltage. I am not powering the ballasts or xenons. With all the on/off that it would see with the garage door going up and down, it would for sure blow the ballasts, bulbs and ignitors. I did not see reason to destroy those, so they are sitting in sealed freezer bags in a box in the garage.

Old 08-31-2007, 05:36 AM
GP1152
3rd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by tazio
Ooh. You put those ricey blue ring parking lights on a GP? Sacrilege!
LOL......don't worry buddy. They actually look great in person.

Old 08-31-2007, 05:41 AM
Rally@StanceDesign
Former Vendor
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
In person they look incredibly blue too, my buddy has them and even he laughed when he saw how blue they were on his car.....if you want the headlights to match better, i would actually look at changing the ring color first. It would be easier and cheaper.....and look ten times better.

Besides maybe msfitoy, gnatster, and indigo (and maybe a few others)....i would never follow the mad modders. Modding for the sake of modding gets you an ugly car

Last edited by Rally@StanceDesign; 08-31-2007 at 05:45 AM.
Old 08-31-2007, 06:25 AM
03Indigo
User Title's are Silly
Originally Posted by RallyMINI
Besides maybe msfitoy, gnatster, and indigo (and maybe a few others)....i would never follow the mad modders. Modding for the sake of modding gets you an ugly car
First off, , thanks for the compliment Rally....second off, yeah, modding for the sake of modding does yield an ugly car. Artist school 101, leave it like it is, don't keep working on it, you will screw up a master piece. I have pretty much stopped at this point with mods, now it is just improved parts over OEM for long term reliability (planning on keeping the car forever). And maintenance.

I switched out my LEDs to a super white wedge...2 of them in each light, and it made them less blue. I think they came with blue leds...so that makes a difference.

Old 08-31-2007, 06:28 AM
Rally@StanceDesign
Former Vendor
Originally Posted by 03Indigo

I switched out my LEDs to a super white wedge...2 of them in each light, and it made them less blue. I think they came with blue leds...so that makes a difference.
Perfect....that's what my buddy plans to do too. If you can get a pure white out of them, they will be easier to match with the headlights.

Old 08-31-2007, 07:27 AM
gohandbz8
2nd Gear
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by gusmiami
Indigo.....nice garage. Guess there ARE mini owners out there that are as **** as I am (see pic below).........
Ok, as to the topic. Can anyone tell me what bulbs I can get that will be the closest to looking like xenon's? I got the Halo/angel eye lights and want to get the bulbs to match those as closely as possible (see pic below)...

Gusmiami, that is a nice garage you have there. If you don't mind me asking, how much did the floor tiles cost? I want to get floor tiles like that too.

Old 08-31-2007, 07:41 AM
burley
6th Gear
Received 69 Likes on 53 Posts
Do the GPs not come w/ fogs OR Xenons?

Side note, do those colored films (protective films) actually stick to your lights over time? I wanted to put some yellow films on my fogs. Are those films complete crap? I would just swap the bulb, but thats a pain in the *** to get to the fog lights. It looked like you have to pull the bumper off.

Old 08-31-2007, 07:48 AM
burley
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Minifiend
Burley - I appreciate you continued dedication to figure all this out. It's nice to have help. Those eBay lights are for Coopers only, not the Cooper S. Either way, I have a pair that I know work, I just can't figure out whats going on with my car. Have we determined if anyone with an 05+ has gone from 05+ halogens to 05+ projectors?
Its somewhat a selfish act...I would also like to put projectors in my cooper too

Old 08-31-2007, 07:59 AM
Rally@StanceDesign
Former Vendor
Originally Posted by burley
Do the GPs not come w/ fogs OR Xenons?

Side note, do those colored films (protective films) actually stick to your lights over time? I wanted to put some yellow films on my fogs. Are those films complete crap? I would just swap the bulb, but thats a pain in the *** to get to the fog lights. It looked like you have to pull the bumper off.
GPs do that as a weight reduction....the xenon ballasts weigh a lot.

The films work pretty well...but they've been known to melt or discolor on the fogs.

Old 08-31-2007, 08:06 AM
03Indigo
User Title's are Silly
when every one says the Xenons weigh a lot, really, I have more extra baggage around my mid section, and the few lbs for a street driven car is somewhat silly, IMHO. Ballasts and ignitors weigh about 4lbs total, if that. Include the water pump, res., tubing, and washer sprayers, and maybe 15lbs or 20lbs at the most...and that is including the washer fluid in my estimate.

They did it on the GP for weight, yes, but more in theory that actual practice...they added the weight with the extra body cladding and the heavy rims. Unsprung weight reduction has a much larger effect on handling that removing ballasts ever would, from what I know.

The films do work well, but I would suggest going to a tint shop and have them put on a thinner material, like the clear bra. They now have stuff that resists heat and is more pliable. The thick stuff works great, but the thinner stuff is just as functional against rock chips. They can do the yellow film for you as well, most likely as a greatly reduced cost over a pre-cut kit. I had them do my cars, and total headlight, turn, and fog coverage was less than $45 per car, never once had damage to a light.

Old 08-31-2007, 08:10 AM
Rally@StanceDesign
Former Vendor
hahah i didn't say it was a GOOD idea.....but what do you expect on a GP It was meant to seem like a racecar but retain its everyday car status.

Old 08-31-2007, 08:16 AM
burley
6th Gear
Do you guys ever sleep? We were up posting until 2am, and now here we are again...at 10am. I guess thats 8 hours..

Old 08-31-2007, 08:19 AM
03Indigo
User Title's are Silly
I slept from 3am to 6am Mountain time. I got up, did some house cleaning, wood floors, vaccuum, bathrooms, and mowed the lawn. Now back to bed. I work nights on the weekends, so Thursday nights are "conditioning" night to make me sleep most of the day on Friday.

Rally, I totally agree. I would have wanted Xenons on a GP if I bought one, and a back seat as well. Not that I use it, but it cuts down on road noise. I put more dynamat in my car than my ballasts weigh, haha....and I know a few GP owners that are planning or have already done full dynamat interiors. That will add about 50lbs

Old 08-31-2007, 08:19 AM
Rally@StanceDesign
Former Vendor
I went to bed at 11

Old 08-31-2007, 08:26 AM
03Indigo
User Title's are Silly
Originally Posted by RallyMINI
I went to bed at 11
wimp

Old 08-31-2007, 09:07 AM
burley
6th Gear
I posted this elsewhere, but w/out pics....

When I got my xenons, one was DIRTY!! It had about half the light output, and looked like it was reflecting most of the light back at the bulb.

After a few PBR's, I fashioned a cleaning apparatus w/ a coat hanger, lint free cotton cloth, and tape. I sprayed a little windex on it, and it worked great. To keep moisture out, finish by getting a hair dryer and shooting warm air into the headlight.

Here's what it looked like....

The first pic is a "before"

Attached Thumbnails The OEM Halogens ---> OEM Xenons diaries-_bur9439.jpg   The OEM Halogens ---> OEM Xenons diaries-_bur9446.jpg   The OEM Halogens ---> OEM Xenons diaries-_bur9421.jpg  

Last edited by burley; 08-31-2007 at 09:09 AM.
Old 09-02-2007, 02:14 PM
GP1152
3rd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by 03Indigo
you are not going to find a halogen bulb that will be as white/blue as the angle eyes. Even my 6000K xenons are still whiter than my angle eyes (I have the same set you have from Moss.

You can retro fit Xenon bulbs for around $200, but you will have a slight oncoming traffic glare issue, but overall, that is minor, in my opinion. That will really be the only choice you have to get your lights closer to match. Either that, or switch to a different LED in the halo markers...but that would make them yellow or what ever color you put in there.

here is a shot of my "wall" xenons, which are now 6000K over the halogens I initially put in there

Great garage BTW...I have seen pics of your place before, I love your floors, after we finish with other major house improvements, (on our newly built 1.5 year old house, haha), my wife will allow me to do the floors and put in the flat screen TV and couch
Any advice on how/where to get the xenon bulb retrofit? Would THIS work? and how hard would it be to to install?

Also, I love the accessories in your garage (traffic light, etc.). I've been thinking of getting some things like that for my garage as well.

Last edited by GP1152; 09-02-2007 at 02:28 PM.
Old 09-02-2007, 04:30 PM
03Indigo
User Title's are Silly
Originally Posted by gusmiami
Any advice on how/where to get the xenon bulb retrofit? Would THIS work? and how hard would it be to to install?

Also, I love the accessories in your garage (traffic light, etc.). I've been thinking of getting some things like that for my garage as well.
I have installed this kit http://vvme.com/catalog/list-s-10145-10146.html on at least 5 friends of mine. Audi A4's with E-codes and some Subaru Legacy GTs and Outback XTs. They are flawless and are the same quality of my phillips systems I have installed that cost me nearly $450. They are on sale right now for $57.99...normally they are like $130-$140 for an H7 set of 4300K to 6000K bulbs, ballasts and everything you need.

If I ever need another set, that is where I am going, hands down. My good buddy Charles has a set that he put in his A4 over 2 years ago, I helped with the install as I have done other kits before, and he has not had one problem, bulbs and charge/ignition are perfect.

But, that is just my experience, and opinion. There are a ton of options out there, but even at regular price, you will never beat the deals from this company, or the quality.

Old 09-02-2007, 04:31 PM
03Indigo
User Title's are Silly
here is the direct link to the kit, and order an H7 set up.

http://vvme.com/product/detail-20023.html

Old 09-04-2007, 09:19 AM
chisss
3rd Gear
what about warranty on those? I can't find anywhere that says the type/time of warranty

Old 09-04-2007, 10:05 AM
burley
6th Gear
Are those H7 kits even as bright as the d2S bulbs? If they are, is it logical that they would create the same light pattern as the halogen H7s because they are the same shape? If they do, then thats better then putting D2S drop ins in a reflector housing.

I would be weary of drop in reflector conversions. Since they are illegal (not that Im a stickler for the law), no reputable manufacturer will make a set, IMO. If PIAA / Hella / Bocsh / Phillips made a set, I might buy one (for my other car.)

If you are going that route, they work MUCH better if you also convert headlights w/ projectors too...

Old 09-04-2007, 12:11 PM
03Indigo
User Title's are Silly
any conversion to xenon is not DOT approved, from what I know, they are for "off road use only"....if you read the fine print of all the aftermarket kits.

Old 09-04-2007, 12:12 PM
03Indigo
User Title's are Silly
ps....that never stopped me from converting our Subarus with projector lights to xenon, 6000K H7 kits.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Electrical The OEM Halogens ---> OEM Xenons diaries