Eastern Iowa MINIs Eastern Iowa MINI enthusiasts group

Another Iowa MINI sighting!

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2010, 10:34 AM
Nabou
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Saw an orange MCC on the government bridge today with the top down and black and orange checkered bonnet stripes. I waved and it ignored me . I didn't see what state it was from, but I don't think it was Iowa or Illinois (I was too busy staring at the hot orange...if only the hardtop came in orange I would have been all over that! Love my PW, though).

Old 06-18-2010, 11:02 AM
Gil-galad
Coordinator :: Eastern Iowa MINIs
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Nabou
Saw an orange MCC on the government bridge today with the top down and black and orange checkered bonnet stripes. I waved and it ignored me . I didn't see what state it was from, but I don't think it was Iowa or Illinois (I was too busy staring at the hot orange...if only the hardtop came in orange I would have been all over that! Love my PW, though).
Don't get discouraged with missed return waves. Sometimes other drivers don't recognize the fact of the MINI wave until the cars have passed each other (I know I've been guilty of this). The custom bonnet stripes you saw suggest the presence of a fellow enthusiast. Others, for some reason, just don't "get it." The chance meetings where you do manage to elicit a friendly response make it all worthwhile.

Agree that HO is a classic. I wonder what the new Orange Spice looks like in the flesh...they're actually going to offer it on the coupe as well as the Cabrio starting with the 2011 model year.

Old 06-21-2010, 12:33 AM
MariaChick
3rd Gear
Okay, I know this doesn't really count because it's not in Iowa... but yesterday I saw two MINIs in Beijing! One was a CR/W- good choice, and the other was a PW/B. It was so nice seeing those familiar cars in a world that's so foreign! :D

Old 06-21-2010, 05:50 AM
Gil-galad
Originally Posted by MariaChick
Okay, I know this doesn't really count because it's not in Iowa... but yesterday I saw two MINIs in Beijing! One was a CR/W- good choice, and the other was a PW/B. It was so nice seeing those familiar cars in a world that's so foreign! :D
How utterly cool is it to get MariaChick sightings from the other side of the world? Keep 'em coming!

Old 06-21-2010, 08:53 AM
MariaChick
3rd Gear
http://mariasbeijinginternship.shutterfly.com/ this will get you to Marias web site she would love to here from anyone check it out.Mike

Old 06-28-2010, 03:49 AM
MariaChick
3rd Gear
Okay I've got four more from Beijing! (I've been keeping my eyes open!)
A CR/W with racing stripes, a BRG/B, a LY/B S, and a HC/W Clubman. I miss seeing those EIM stickers on the back though! :(

Old 06-28-2010, 10:09 AM
Gil-galad
Originally Posted by MariaChick
Okay I've got four more from Beijing! (I've been keeping my eyes open!)
A CR/W with racing stripes, a BRG/B, a LY/B S, and a HC/W Clubman. I miss seeing those EIM stickers on the back though! :(
I have my eye out for MINI pics on your shutterfly site.

Old 07-15-2010, 05:43 PM
Jaque_Mate
4th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Spotted a Mellow yellow MCS at the stoplight of 31st and Klingman St. in DSM. yellow top with some sort of black decal. He did a double take, then nodded.

Old 07-27-2010, 09:08 AM
Miah34
3rd Gear
ok guys get this one. Bruce McGrath (Pat McGrath's brother) actually just got a 2010 black cabrio MINI. I'm not 100% sure if it is a "S" or not, I am trying to get Murphy (Bruce's grandson who works in finace here at chevyland) to get him with me and come to some of our events with us! we shall see how this pans out.

Old 07-27-2010, 11:27 AM
Gil-galad
Originally Posted by Miah34
ok guys get this one. Bruce McGrath (Pat McGrath's brother) actually just got a 2010 black cabrio MINI. I'm not 100% sure if it is a "S" or not, I am trying to get Murphy (Bruce's grandson who works in finace here at chevyland) to get him with me and come to some of our events with us! we shall see how this pans out.
Hmmm...I wonder how Pat feels about his brother's departure from Chevrolet loyalty?

It would be fun to have Bruce come out with us!

Old 07-27-2010, 02:53 PM
Miah34
3rd Gear
I really dont know if it bothers him at all or not. This guy drives a TON of different cars anyway, and I am really trying to get incontact with bruce, murphy says that he loves the mini and talks about it a ton. And I told him that we should look into getting a MIN dealer. Not sure how that will go though.... HA.

Old 07-30-2010, 05:34 PM
Miah34
3rd Gear
so tonight while driving around iowa city we saw a purple haze with white strips, white top and white wheels... It actually looks alot like one in our group.... Just wondering if gozer was out running around iowa city....

Old 07-31-2010, 04:16 AM
05MINI
4th Gear
Gozer totally was! And not having a good time. Tried to get on 80 at the ramp by where Willis Auto had their Corridor event to head East but East Bound on 80 wasn't moving! Me and 2 other cars backed up off the ramp Then once I decided to head south to 6 the traffic coming off 80 had that whole street jammed Between the traffic and the road construction there (down to two lanes by 5th street) it took forever to get through. I did have a cute Red S behind me the whole way. From his plates I would guess he was a retired teacher. Got a nice wave. Heck, I could have gotten out and chatted for a while the way the traffic was!

I did see a couple other MINIs but with the rain and the traffic I couldn't tell who they were. Were you in yours? Sorry I didn't see you to give you a wave!

Old 07-31-2010, 08:39 PM
Miah34
3rd Gear
yes i was in mine.... we passed in front of you when you were on 1st ave(hayden fry way) then again in front of you down by los portalas (on hwy 6 on the south side of iowa city). me and britney keep saying we thought that was you but could not be 100% sure, then we saw the bull-dog and i couldn't think of another one that would be that color with a bull-dog.

Old 09-05-2010, 01:10 PM
Jaque_Mate
4th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Does anybody want to claim the brand new 2010 Horizon Blue MCS parked on Beaver Ave. between Forest and Hickman in Des Moines yesterday? It had a paper plate in the boot window.

Old 09-05-2010, 08:13 PM
ViperGTS
4th Gear
We drove through St. Charles, IL, yesterday and saw 7 Minis in about 4 miles. That was the most we had ever seen in that short a stretch of road through town.

Old 09-08-2010, 02:57 PM
SebastianMINI
1st Gear
Today, Wilson Ave SW near I380 in Cedar Rapids, looked like a CR/CR. Nice!

Edited: And the next day, Wilson Ave SW, same time of morning, BK/BK. Stealth MINIs in my 'hood!

Any way I can get an EIM sticker so they will understand why I'm rubbernecking at them?

; - )

Last edited by SebastianMINI; 09-09-2010 at 06:05 AM.
Old 10-17-2010, 10:58 AM
Smokin' Jo
4th Gear
On Friday 10-15-10 spotted 3 MINIs (no waves ) on I-35 N to DesMoines.
Made a pit stop and spotted our own "Theresa" on her way to DesMoines to see Maria.
Today, I spotted a S/Blk in town at a gas station. So I pulled in to wash my filthy windshield and conversed with the motorist. Turns out he's part of a 'Motorcross' group (cones/track stuff). He hadn't heard of EIM or NAM so I gave him a couple of cards, told him what we were about and filled him in on the upcoming run to Raven's Grin. He seemed interested. I hope he contacts us. I mentioned to him about getting our groups together.
He agreed that would be fun. So let's all sit back and .

Old 11-15-2010, 07:36 AM
05MINI
4th Gear
Saw a light silver with pink roof, mirrors and stripes heading east on Hwy 20 in Dubuque yesterday. Yes, I said PINK! So busy gawking at the colors I couldn't tell you if it was an S or a justa. Didn't see the plates either so I have no idea if it is local or just passing through. We were in the boring car so I didn't bother waving. Since pink is my second favorite color I was pretty impressed It really looked cool.

Old 08-21-2011, 09:52 AM
Gil-galad
There's a sweet '06 MCS that just appeared on one of the used car dealer lots in town. Chili Red with a silver roof, with the Rooster Red interior trim and upholstery highlights. Looks to be in superb condition. Post up if you want a pic or two, or any additional details.

Old 08-21-2011, 03:47 PM
SebastianMINI
1st Gear
I just saw a red with white roof today on 151 South I thought was sharp so yeah, shoot me some details, I'd appreciate it! (I have appreciation for the reputation of the '04 -- what is the general opinion of the '06?)

Sandy

Old 08-21-2011, 06:03 PM
Gil-galad
Originally Posted by SebastianMINI
(I have appreciation for the reputation of the '04 -- what is the general opinion of the '06?)
Sandy
Since the '06 was the very last year of the 1st Gen MINI, many of the design bugs seen in the first few years had been ironed out by then. Many people claim that model year '06 is probably the most reliable used MINI you can own (of course, YMMV).

I'll try to get back over there tomorrow and take a closer look; snap a few pics for you.

Old 08-22-2011, 01:19 PM
Gil-galad
Originally Posted by SebastianMINI
I just saw a red with white roof today on 151 South I thought was sharp so yeah, shoot me some details, I'd appreciate it!
Sandy, I've attached a few pics below.

Automatic transmission, dual-pane sun roof, auto A/C, MFSW, leather/red interior with red interior trim. Very clean. Cosmetically it looks to be in excellent condition. Best part is that it only has 30,308 miles on the clock. Lots of life left on the tires.

I didn't ask to test drive it so I don't have a feel for the mechanical condition. I didn't see anything suspect.

They're asking $18,880 which, for its apparent condition, seems to be in the ballpark. If you decide you want to pursue further, send me a PM and I'll message you back with some contact info.

-----

BTW, I believe MariaChick (one of our club members) has at least one MINI going up for sale too...Quad Cities area...might want to PM him if you're interested.

Last edited by Gil-galad; 03-25-2012 at 10:56 AM.
Old 08-22-2011, 01:25 PM
MariaChick
3rd Gear
yah im only asking 16000 for my 06

Old 08-22-2011, 05:00 PM
SebastianMINI
1st Gear
Thank you very much for the pics and info. Maria's looks like the better deal. : - ) I'm going to have to arrange to meet Charlee at one of the upcoming events.

Quick Reply: Another Iowa MINI sighting!