Drivetrain (Cooper S) MINI Cooper S (R53) intakes, exhausts, pulleys, headers, throttle bodies, and any other modifications to the Cooper S drivetrain.

Drivetrain borla sport vs magnaflow

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2007, 08:06 PM
ringmaster73
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
borla sport vs magnaflow

I am looking for some opinions on these exhausts. The sound clip I have heard is the borla street. I am leaning to the magnaflow, since it is $200 less, but it seems like it might be a little "tinny" sounding, does the borla sport have the same sound. I am having a hard time making a decision and really hate to order one that I end up disliking. suggestions??:impatient

Old 03-09-2007, 08:36 PM
DarkMiniCooperS
6th Gear
Received 26 Likes on 17 Posts
I have heard the Magnaflow exhaust and it is very loud. It has a very nice tone though....

Personally, I have the Minspeed (MyMINI) exhaust and love it. The exhaust tip is different from anything else, but my favorite tip is still the Magnaflow.

Between Borla and Magnaflow, I'd go with Magnaflow even if it is among the loudest.

Old 03-09-2007, 08:40 PM
mbotvinick
3rd Gear
Love my Mag! Love to set off the SUV alarms in the parking lot.

Old 03-10-2007, 09:23 AM
El_Griton
6th Gear
those are the two loudest of them all, the difference is price.

I love my borla and love setting off alarms to. I havent drove a mini with the magna, but if I were you id ask someone local to drive in their car so you see how it sounds. best if they have similar mods cause youll get the best idea of what their like.

Old 03-11-2007, 08:57 AM
theglassman
Neutral
Borla Vs Magnaflow

I have the magnaflow on my 04 I had the Borla Sport It was nice but about the same as the stock i wanted somthing i could hear. so i switched to the magna At first I thought DA.. very loud almost to loud but now i love it pops and bubbles like nobodys business. customer service with the magna is better borla not so hot

Old 03-11-2007, 05:52 PM
El_Griton
6th Gear
lol you think the borla sport isnt any louder then the stock system?!? looks like you got the street and not the race dood!

Old 03-11-2007, 06:03 PM
minihune
OVERDRIVE - Racing Champion
Received 67 Likes on 65 Posts
Originally Posted by ringmaster73
I am looking for some opinions on these exhausts. The sound clip I have heard is the borla street. I am leaning to the magnaflow, since it is $200 less, but it seems like it might be a little "tinny" sounding, does the borla sport have the same sound. I am having a hard time making a decision and really hate to order one that I end up disliking. suggestions??:impatient
Borla Race/Sport is louder than stock and louder than Borla Street. Don't confuse them.

Magnaflow is much louder (maybe the loudest of the common cat back dual exhaust systems) but still very nice sounding. I think magnaflow is louder than Borla Sport.

If your area has lots of loud exhaust cars and motorcycles then you'll fit in nicely with the Magnaflow. Just don't add a header with no Cat, use the stock header with cat for best results.

Borla Sport or Race has smaller cylinder shaped mufflers and the tone is a bit deeper than the Borla Street that has larger mufflers and is more quiet by comparison and only slightly louder than stock.

The Borla Sport is pretty easy on the ears except at full throttle, The Magnaflow has some nice trumpet like exhaust tips worth mentioning. Most of the time it's loud but mellow except at wide open throttle, then it gets louder.

Borla exhausts have lots of parts and seams which make it more trouble to do a self install. Magnaflow is easier.

Take your pick they are both quite good.

Old 03-30-2007, 01:04 PM
BRGmene
Neutral
I ordered a Magnaflow from hottexahust.com. They had a site-wide 6% discount, and I found many coupon codes ("fordtruck8" and "veedub" both give off over $100 on higher priced items, and "hottsavings" gets you 10% off on less expensive items, and no they dont stack... bummer) as well as offering free shipping anywhere in the US. All in all, got it for $539 shipped to my door vs the $710 (advertised).

Old 03-30-2007, 01:30 PM
SharoSC02
5th Gear
Originally Posted by El_Griton
those are the two loudest of them all, the difference is price.

I love my borla and love setting off alarms to. I havent drove a mini with the magna, but if I were you id ask someone local to drive in their car so you see how it sounds. best if they have similar mods cause youll get the best idea of what their like.
I'm in San Jose, Bay Area and he could ride in mine with the Magnaflow. I don't see how some refer to it as being too loud. I have had it for 3 years since I bought the car and have heard just about all other systems and most of which are not any less quiet than the Magnaflow or maybe it is that my ears have been use to louder systems like freeflow I have on my 87 325i BMW.

Old 03-30-2007, 01:49 PM
apexer
6th Gear
I've got a Flow... God help me I do love it so