Drivetrain (Cooper S) MINI Cooper S (R53) intakes, exhausts, pulleys, headers, throttle bodies, and any other modifications to the Cooper S drivetrain.

Drivetrain From 03 tranny to 05 tranny review

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2006, 06:45 PM
DarkMiniCooperS
6th Gear
Received 26 Likes on 17 Posts
From 03 tranny to 05 tranny review

Hi motorers,

I've had my MINI for 3 years and a half... I've done 140 000km on it (including 3 times Mtl-Miami trips)

As some of you know, lately, I've had transmission problems and had to get a new tranny. So I got a 2005 transmission with LSD. Tonight, I got my car back. The tranny install was a real nightmare and the dealer made several mistakes... But after waiting 3 weeks, everything is ok now. (I still need to get my damaged wheel fixed... my advisor seems to avoid giving me updates about it...)

I didn't drive a lot on the new transmission yet, but here are my first impressions.

The 2005 gears ratio is really awesome!! I've got used to the 03 MCS ratio for a long time, and the change is awesome!! In city driving, it's a blast to drive. The engine feels a lot powerful and there's no need to rev to 4000rpm anymore. It definitely feels like a completely different car. On the highway, it's also better. It feels like power is a lot more "available"!

I haven't try the LSD a lot yet, since I was in a rush to get home... I wanted to catch the season's premiere of Prison Break so I tool the Florida Turnpike. But on the 2 street corners I've take, the LSD looks very promising. The inner wheel would not spin anymore... Both wheels were putting power to the ground. Exiting the corner feels a bit strange with it... It kind of pulls to the outside but I'm sure it's just because I'm not used to the way the LSD make the car react...

Bottom line : The new gears ratio are really great! It changes the way the car drives and the LSD looks awesome!

I'm sure it will be a blast to drive now!! Can't wait for tomorrow to test it further... Unfortunately, no test planned for tonight as I'm celebrating with my friend Corona

btw, 3 weeks without my MCS is really too long... This is real love lol

Old 08-21-2006, 06:56 PM
duglas
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Man, I was thinking of this lately!!!!!

How much did it cost?? Parts and labor???

Anything that was different or any problems???

Old 08-21-2006, 07:01 PM
DarkMiniCooperS
6th Gear
It cost me 2400$ for the tranny, and 1700$ for the labor (including a new clutch)

The problems were related to the dealer not knowing what they were doing... They forgot to put the shifter's cables back, so it would pop out of gear.

A 2005 tranny will fit a 02-04 car without any modifications... The cables are the same.

It is one of the best mod I've made to my MINI!!! The 2005 ratio are a blast to drive!! And the LSD seems very very good too!!!

Old 08-21-2006, 07:13 PM
sdv515
4th Gear
that is cheaper than i expected it to be. maybe when i need a new tranny i'll definately go this way. hopefully not to soon

Old 08-21-2006, 07:13 PM
duglas
1st Gear
My 2002 JCW MCS was in the shop last week and I got a 06 MCS Loaner and it was just as fast as my JCW MCS... So I was going to sell my 02 and buy an 05 or 06 and do a pulley and such... But I love my car and think swapping the transmission will be better and cheaper.

Do you have the part # for the transmission with the LSD in it???

What really sucks is my Mini only has 17K miles on it and still spins the tires when I shift hard into 2nd so the clutch is near new.....
But, $2400 and a few cases of beer I can have it done by a friend who is a Jag techinican.... Sounds like a winner to me..

Old 08-21-2006, 07:16 PM
duglas
1st Gear
ON a side note...

I ordered the boost gauge from your link and got my bracket in today from my MINI so I am installing it tomorrow..
thanks for the detailed directions..!!

Old 08-21-2006, 07:24 PM
DarkMiniCooperS
6th Gear
Originally Posted by duglas
My 2002 JCW MCS was in the shop last week and I got a 06 MCS Loaner and it was just as fast as my JCW MCS... So I was going to sell my 02 and buy an 05 or 06 and do a pulley and such... But I love my car and think swapping the transmission will be better and cheaper.

Do you have the part # for the transmission with the LSD in it???

What really sucks is my Mini only has 17K miles on it and still spins the tires when I shift hard into 2nd so the clutch is near new.....
But, $2400 and a few cases of beer I can have it done by a friend who is a Jag techinican.... Sounds like a winner to me..
I don't have a part number.. But any MINI dealer should be able to get this for you...

BTW, I got a huge discount on that tranny... It was 3487$ and I got it for 2430$...

But it is definitely worth it!!

Old 08-21-2006, 07:25 PM
DarkMiniCooperS
6th Gear
Originally Posted by duglas
ON a side note...

I ordered the boost gauge from your link and got my bracket in today from my MINI so I am installing it tomorrow..
thanks for the detailed directions..!!
No problem dude!! Let me know if you need any help.... Just PM me and I'll be there to help you! I check my PMs often (at least 3 times/day) and if I see you need assistance, I'll be there for you!

Old 08-21-2006, 07:58 PM
duglas
1st Gear
$2400 seamed cheap..
Transmission, clutch, and LSD all for $2400...!!!!..

I am going to call a few dealers who I have wholesale accounts with tomorrow and see...

I am sure my 02 transmission is worth something used...

Old 08-22-2006, 02:09 AM
kbseto
5th Gear
me too

i recently had swapped out my '03 mcs tranny at 43k miles for a '05 with lsd...and i agree it's worth the $$$$.

only thing is that for some reason i'm actually more impressed with the lsd than the new gearing. i think part of it is that i had such huge expectations for the new gearing; and the lsd i didn't really expect a big difference. but ends up the results are kinda the opposite of what i expected. still very nice improvements in my mini's driving character.

i was quoted ~$3k for a brand new tranny with lsd. but i was able to find a salvaged one from a 8/05 build mcs for $1400. got the vin# and ran a check on the mini's history, which revealed it had <1k miles before being totaled in an accident. got the tranny swapped in along with a new clutch for ~$900.

only negative thing i notice is if i upshift sloppily into 2nd, i sometimes get a "yo-yo'ing" effect, where things are mighty bouncy for a bit before settling down. if i ease off the throttle a bit, it immediately calms down. if i keep on the throttle, it will ease off gradually. it basically reminds me of the "yo-yo" problems that many of us experienced while slowing down in 1st or 2nd, more of an annoyance than anything. i'm wondering if an ecu reprogramming would help smooth it out? otherwise, it runs great.

currently, have my '03 tranny in storage, on the "for sale" listing.

Old 08-22-2006, 04:07 AM
BFG9000
5th Gear
Interesting that JCW software can cause a yo-yo. Can either of you confirm that cruise control still works after the swap?

Old 08-22-2006, 06:25 AM
JoeCool
3rd Gear
Glad to hear you got your car back and running! It may have cost you a bundle, but I'm still jealous. I think I'll start combing the bone yards for that mythical totalled MCS with a working low mileage tranny...and cat...

Old 08-22-2006, 09:39 AM
DarkMiniCooperS
6th Gear
Originally Posted by BFG9000
Interesting that JCW software can cause a yo-yo. Can either of you confirm that cruise control still works after the swap?
My cruise control doesn't work anymore... The light will go on is I turn the CC on, but it won't set to a speed...

Does anyone know more info about it??

Old 08-22-2006, 09:46 AM
JoeCool
3rd Gear
I hate to say it, but it sounds like someone forgot to connect a sensor. I wish I had my Bentley on hand, but you might want to see if everything got connected first.

edit: And after that, go buy a four leaf clover or a rabbit's foot. You have some bad mojo right now!

Old 08-22-2006, 10:07 AM
Soul Coughing
5th Gear
Received 150 Likes on 114 Posts
your cruise control uses rpm's, and your vehicle speed to work out what gear your in. (important for cruise control) The ecu was calibrated to know a specific rpm with a certain speed (with your old gear set's). now you have a new transmission with different ratio's, your car is coming up with an incorrect value, so it shuts down CC.

A way to over come this would be to replace your EMS2000 with a EMS2500 from an '05!

Old 08-22-2006, 10:11 AM
JoeCool
3rd Gear
Hmm, I would have thought the CC read off of the driveshafts- easier on poduction across models. In any case, go beat up on the dealership that did this half*ssed job on your baby!

Old 08-22-2006, 10:11 AM
DarkMiniCooperS
6th Gear
Hum... Replacing the ECU will be a bit too expensive right now lol

So I guess there's nothing I can to get my CC to work..??

Old 08-22-2006, 10:16 AM
DarkMiniCooperS
6th Gear
btw, on my way back home today, it was raining a lot! So I got to test the LSD further.

LSD should come stock on all MINI !! It makes a huge difference... On a standing start, the wheels still spin but the car moves forward and it really does work!

Exiting a corner is also a lot better... Spinning is a lot reduced and the inside wheel won't spin!

The LSD is awesome!

Old 08-22-2006, 10:21 AM
Soul Coughing
5th Gear
Received 150 Likes on 114 Posts
Originally Posted by JoeCool
Hmm, I would have thought the CC read off of the driveshafts- easier on poduction across models. In any case, go beat up on the dealership that did this half*ssed job on your baby!
It uses many inputs to work out how open or closed the TB should be. Unfortunatly, one of them is "gear select", and when that part of the process is showing an error, the ECU throws a flag and takes away the fun.

I have a feeling the dealer wouldnt let you get a new ECU anyway, they need to flash it with your VIN, which says it aint an 05. With all this talk of new software, you might be able to get a someone to edit the hex code and change the ratio's!?

BTW, im very jealous, a friend who has only a 19%, but the 05' gearing keeps up with me nose to nose in 1st... I pull two-three cars by the end of 2nd, but its still pretty impressive

Old 08-22-2006, 10:29 AM
DarkMiniCooperS
6th Gear
wow... It looks like I'll have to forget about my CC... but I mostly do city driving now, so it's not a big deal.

I really do feel the new gearing is making the car a bit faster... And it's a lot more "torquey" than ever before... When I'm in 3rd gear, at around 2500rpm, it pulls a lot better than before!

Old 08-22-2006, 02:19 PM
kbseto
5th Gear
well, luckily or unluckily, my mini never had cc, so that part i'm not missing with this swap.

one of the other fellows who've done the swap also noted problems with his cc. he was theorizing that it's possibly with the earlier '02-early '03 model minis. maybe randy webb can shed some light on this, as he supposedly has done a few tranny with lsd swaps.

Old 08-22-2006, 07:22 PM
DarkMiniCooperS
6th Gear
It would be great if Randy would join in with his opinion!!!