Drivetrain (Cooper S) MINI Cooper S (R53) intakes, exhausts, pulleys, headers, throttle bodies, and any other modifications to the Cooper S drivetrain.

Drivetrain APEXi S-AFC

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2007, 11:56 PM
AZMCS
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by NFCooper
Sooo.... old posts I know but has anyone come up with a ECU pinout? The one earlier in the post, if it is correct, has everything I need except vehicle speed and injector signals to hook up my boost controller (twincharged mini). Anything anyone has (including the 3 page thing, I'm an electronics technician :D ) would be most appreciated.

NFCooper

Give Hubie a call at Fireblled. He wired my APEXI Neo by memory

Old 06-24-2007, 10:37 PM
rhubbard
4th Gear
Me = Winner

Old 06-24-2007, 10:38 PM
rhubbard
4th Gear
Oh, and why hasn't someone been smart enough to save this to the site or put it in a freaking sticky? I've been on this site for 6 months and I've probably posted this 5 times now.

Old 06-25-2007, 02:23 PM
Maxicooper
6th Gear
Does this diagram works with the new AFC-Neo?
Thanks.

Old 06-25-2007, 03:01 PM
rhubbard
4th Gear
The AFCs should have the same inputs as always. The NEO will have extra wires that you won't use though cause those are for the hondas with VTEC.

Old 03-02-2008, 08:43 AM
mini_macky
5th Gear
hope ya'll don't mind me reviving this thread but this is the longest thread on the AFC so i thought i'd post here

i'm just about decided to get an Apex-i NEO for my Mini, mods are in my sig. anyone running NEO as well? any last minute advice before i get it?

Old 03-02-2008, 08:49 AM
synergy1
2nd Gear
I don't know if my experience will help or not but my AFC access wheel, on the inside console failed, and AFC would not support it. They neither offered a source for a replacement or offered to fix it. Ultimately we had to take the unit out. The dealership then in it's attempts to fix the SEL lights had to install a complete new wiring harness. My advice would be to make very sure of the support you are going to receive once the unit is in.

To the best of my knowledge other than the wheel failing the unit performed as advertised.

Hope this helps

Bob

Old 03-02-2008, 09:15 AM
FastLaneTuning
4th Gear
Originally Posted by mini_macky
hope ya'll don't mind me reviving this thread but this is the longest thread on the AFC so i thought i'd post here

i'm just about decided to get an Apex-i NEO for my Mini, mods are in my sig. anyone running NEO as well? any last minute advice before i get it?
the NEO is just a colorful version of the AFC, so i'll help out with my thoughts!

being a long-time supporter of the AFC as you can see from my posts in this thread, it looks as if i am actually starting to get away from it with the amount of mods i have done to my car, detailed list can be found here:

www.MikeGarcia25.com/modslist

if your list looks anything like this, and as far as i can tell from your signature it doesn't (16% pulley vs. 19%, stock injectors, etc), then you should be fine for normal tuning.... where _I_ got into trouble with this unit is twofold; the upgraded injectors with the rest of the mods and the poor connections made underhood at the ECU....

the issue with the injectors as has been stated on this thread already - the AFC adjusts for the amount of fuel to be added or subtracted, NOT the flow rate (duty) of the injectors, so it still uses the stock ECU settings for the flow of injectors and corrupts the signal used for how much should be added.... in lay terms, its like trying to adjust the amount of water coming out of a garden hose, but with the upgraded injectors being installed, now you're talking about a fire hose instead, and it cannot compensate for that difference

if you install it, make sure you connect it all properly.... two years after i installed it, i was being critized by my tuner, a good friend of mine, for the connections made at the ECU while tuning the car - his thoughts were "i've made the adjustments based on the Air / Fuel data given on the fly, but none of the settings are taking when making them on the AFC!" i went back to check my connections after pulling the car off the dyno for the day, and sure enough, they weren't soldered on the bypass wires, they used those cheap damn Male / Female socket connectors.... remember, ANY resistance in the ECU wires can cause the system to fail, especially at the bypass for adjusting fuel settings!!! do NOT use those connectors, hot solder them (as opposed to cold solder, make sure the solder is free flowing and looks like mercury, not aluminum!) to ensure a proper connection with minimum resistance....

other than that, good luck, let us know how it goes! you should be just fine with the NEO in your setup as it looks like you're not looking for 200+hp, but something to simply adjust fuel delivery and get you some added power! post back if you have any further questions

Old 05-05-2008, 08:50 AM
MINIdriver85
4th Gear
I have a MC, and I'll be fitting a big valve head and cams in the future. I'll get it properly tuned by a pro, of course, but will the AFC (NEO or select) be useful to do some minor tweaks, coupled with a wideband controller?

Also, from what I get there isn't much difference between the select and the NEO, if not for the coloured display and the fact the NEO can control VTEC (that sadly we don't have ), am I right?

Old 05-05-2008, 11:40 AM
UKSUV
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by MINIdriver85
I have a MC, and I'll be fitting a big valve head and cams in the future. I'll get it properly tuned by a pro, of course, but will the AFC (NEO or select) be useful to do some minor tweaks, coupled with a wideband controller?

Also, from what I get there isn't much difference between the select and the NEO, if not for the coloured display and the fact the NEO can control VTEC (that sadly we don't have ), am I right?
The NEO can control like 16 different features as where the SAFC2 only did a handful....

Old 09-11-2010, 07:59 AM
nickbmw
4th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Guys, does anyone have the wiring diagram for the AFC Neo?

Old 03-10-2012, 09:00 AM
nickbmw
4th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Guys, does anyone run an APEXi AFC Neo in his MINI? I just wired mine, set up, start the engine, everything fine. But i get a fault, ASC light comes on and the fault is this :
P0107 Manifold Absolute Pressure/Barometric Pressure Circuit Low Input

Anyone else had this problem with an AFC Neo?