Drivetrain (Cooper S) MINI Cooper S (R53) intakes, exhausts, pulleys, headers, throttle bodies, and any other modifications to the Cooper S drivetrain.

Drivetrain APEXi S-AFC

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2005, 12:53 AM
BluMiniMe
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sweet! Please tell us if it is indeed a different product from the non-select... or a repackaged non-select with merely a wiring diagram for euro cars. These non-select versions are going for $240-$270ish on ebay. Why pay nearly double for technically the same product?much thx,
Ciao

Old 02-17-2005, 06:52 AM
Brian Spielman
3rd Gear
nice Definitely keep us posted on your progress and findings!

Old 02-17-2005, 08:26 AM
JeffS
5th Gear
Originally Posted by FastLaneTuning
The GReddy eManage system is fairly easy to use.... on TURBO vehicles. We gauge our customer's intentions with their cars - if they want simple fuel correction and basic upgrades, A'PEXi S-AFC II is the way to go. if they want complete control, duty cycle configuration, ability to manipulate air / fuel maps on a laptop, etc. then use the GReddy....

GReddy is a little bit much on a supercharged car like the MINI. I can't see using the GReddy unit on my car, or anyone's car without a turbo, as there are dozens of turbo-only related settings that cannot be changed unless you want to have a see-through head on your motor.... the ability to even install it on an S/C car would astound me!
Hmmm, I was going to disagree... but after rethinking, I think I understand your point. IMO, the emanage is only a marginally better product than the SAFC. Personally, I consider both to be band-aid solutions only good for mild tweaking. Still, either would be more useful than some off-the-shelf "easy fix" tunes this community is so fond of.

Old 02-17-2005, 08:52 AM
FastLaneTuning
4th Gear
Originally Posted by JeffS
Personally, I consider both to be band-aid solutions only good for mild tweaking. Still, either would be more useful than some off-the-shelf "easy fix" tunes this community is so fond of.
Agreed. Neither one of the units - the GReddy or the A'PEXi - are serious tuning units. They are good at what they do, but not perfect. But, if you saw some of the stuff the Mitsu Eclipse turbo guys do, you would think that we were some heavy duty, race-prep tuners. Lets just put it this way, I don't see anyone doing anything as stupid here as the "Home Depot boost controller," even if we could do something like that - buying a few hose lines to the wastegate of the turbo, a "tap off valve," and some hose clamps and believing they are getting a REAL deal at $12 in parts for being able to "safely" adjust boost....

Old 02-17-2005, 09:09 AM
andy@ross-tech.com
6th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
As I mentioned before in this thread, any of the piggybacks (APEXi, Unichip, etc) are band-aids. Instead of tuning the correct way (changing the actual maps in the ECU) they are corrupting signals to try to fool the ECU into delivering fuel and timing different from what it intends to do.

I can definitely see the need for individual tuning for individual setups, but using band-aids to hack into wiring and modify sensor signals is the wrong way to go about it. It renders diagnostics compromised (since the ECU no longer clearly sees what's going on with its surroundings), it increases the likelyhood of electrical failures (every wire you cut and splice and every connector you add increases the likelyhood of failure), and it runs into limits (with any of the currently available piggybacks, you cannot increase the rev limit since they don't drive injectors and ignition directly).

Old 02-17-2005, 01:31 PM
jlm
6th Gear
I should point out that it was only with the use of the apexi that Hubie was able to determine the need for larger injectors with the 19% and that was a full year before anyone else had reported even trying them; that includes M7, Webb, Helix and JCW.

Old 02-18-2005, 05:12 AM
El Diablito Rojo-N20Mini
Banned
Originally Posted by jlm
I should point out that it was only with the use of the apexi that Hubie was able to determine the need for larger injectors with the 19% and that was a full year before anyone else had reported even trying them; that includes M7, Webb, Helix and JCW.
You mean to tell me that the cutting edge guys didn't know this before?

Old 02-18-2005, 06:38 AM
D1JL
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by FastLaneTuning
The award for the first MCS owner to install the S-AFC Select in their car goes to.....

me

pictures and review tonight!

I am so sorry to burst your bubble; however I purchased my Apexi Select on 12/31/04. I installed it in my car and used to correct A/F ratios on a dyno day on 01/29/05.
The result of these quick adjustments can be seen at my signature link below. We were able to increase WHP by 4.6 and increase torque by 5 ft/lbs. we are still doing some comparison checks but many factors have prevented me from getting dyno time.

Dave

Old 02-19-2005, 11:04 PM
FastLaneTuning
4th Gear
Originally Posted by D1JL
I am so sorry to burst your bubble; however I purchased my Apexi Select on 12/31/04. I installed it in my car and used to correct A/F ratios on a dyno day on 01/29/05.
Interesting.... my distributor with the highest level buy-in available with A'PEXi ($50,000/month) just got their first batch of them in from the far east this week - I was the first one on the list with the backorder. Another vendor on this thread stated that they weren't going to be available until "February" sometime.

Originally Posted by D1JL
The result of these quick adjustments can be seen at my signature link below. We were able to increase WHP by 4.6 and increase torque by 5 ft/lbs.
Why such low gains? jlm reported a 10hp gain with just the S-AFC being tuned and 14 more with injectors.... granted, he has much more work done to his car than you or I, but.... those numbers seem very low for the price paid on the unit and the time spent on the dyno (another hit in the pocketbook)

Old 02-20-2005, 04:49 AM
jlm
6th Gear
Hubie did the tuning and provided the apexi for Dave, right? same for me. I think he has a direct supply of units.

Old 02-20-2005, 05:39 AM
D1JL
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by jlm
Hubie did the tuning and provided the apexi for Dave, right? same for me. I think he has a direct supply of units.
Yes the Apexi AFC Select was supplied through Hubie.
I did the install and setup, and yes, Hubie did a very quick and rough adjustment after the first dyno pull.
Hubie stands behind the Apexi products 100% but he wanted to do some comparison tests before giving his total endorsement on the AFC Select as this was the first time using this model. His very busy schedule and commitment to projects in progress have prevented us from performing these tests. We do expect greater gains after further adjustments are made.

Dave

Old 02-20-2005, 07:01 AM
El Diablito Rojo-N20Mini
Banned
fastlane.......

it's all in who you know

Old 05-03-2005, 10:21 PM
YellowBellyMini
2nd Gear
curious if there were any updates with this matter. Any success with the S-AFC 2 select. Also wanted to know if it is worth it to fork out the extra cash to get the select model over the regular S-AFC 2.

...any install writeups yet??

Old 05-03-2005, 11:16 PM
MassMiniac
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by clevy
not possible, the mini's computer wont take to the safc. You could possibly smooth low throttle air-fuel but once it gets into the higher rpms it wont work. Plus the safc will have to be reprogrammed each time the mini is turned off. when it comes to the mini the only way to tune air fuel yourself is through stand alone systems,
Not possible you say? Sorry but your wrong there, several Minis have employed the S-AFC, with the stock ECU and no programming at all, it does not have a MAF sensor, which makes it much easier to tune, just read up on the twincharged MINI posts from SPI and Hubie, the S-AFC is actually sold as an integral part of the kit!

Old 05-04-2005, 09:13 AM
MartyR
5th Gear
Originally Posted by andy@ross-tech.com
As I mentioned before in this thread, any of the piggybacks (APEXi, Unichip, etc) are band-aids. Instead of tuning the correct way (changing the actual maps in the ECU) they are corrupting signals to try to fool the ECU into delivering fuel and timing different from what it intends to do.

I can definitely see the need for individual tuning for individual setups, but using band-aids to hack into wiring and modify sensor signals is the wrong way to go about it. It renders diagnostics compromised (since the ECU no longer clearly sees what's going on with its surroundings), it increases the likelyhood of electrical failures (every wire you cut and splice and every connector you add increases the likelyhood of failure), and it runs into limits (with any of the currently available piggybacks, you cannot increase the rev limit since they don't drive injectors and ignition directly).
Then what are good options, in your opinion? Do you like the tune-ability of the GIAC? I should preface that with the question "Is there good tune-ability in the GIAC?" Because I'm less than 2 hrs from Philly, I'd like to eventually do it. I've decided to go either 19% pulley/JCW injectors/GIAC or just GIAC for my current 15% pulley.

While I agree that the piggies don't get to the root of the problem - they can help address the symptoms - I like the gains I've seen others get from the SAFC2.

Marty

Old 05-04-2005, 02:34 PM
YellowBellyMini
2nd Gear
it seems that most of you guys doing the tuning all have MCS's, is there anybody with the n/a Cooper that has tuned with an SAFC??

Old 05-05-2005, 07:48 AM
YellowBellyMini
2nd Gear
I am holding off on this install and tune in hopes of hearing from some of you guys out there who have an SAFC2 or select model installed for some definitive information.

1. Really any better to get the select over regular SAFC2? how, why? worth the money?

2. Any issues actually arise? ...read strange things, but not from people with the device installed.

3. If i could get the install instructions from someone, it would be appreciated greatly.

This is for a MC also, if that makes any difference. Any relevant input is appreciated!

Old 05-05-2005, 09:20 AM
El Diablito Rojo-N20Mini
Banned
Originally Posted by YellowBellyMini
I am holding off on this install and tune in hopes of hearing from some of you guys out there who have an SAFC2 or select model installed for some definitive information.

1. Really any better to get the select over regular SAFC2? how, why? worth the money?

2. Any issues actually arise? ...read strange things, but not from people with the device installed.

3. If i could get the install instructions from someone, it would be appreciated greatly.

This is for a MC also, if that makes any difference. Any relevant input is appreciated!
the a/f ratios i have seen on coopers are NOT that bad. You may only gain 3whp by trimming them.
10whp has been about the norm on the S model
the select is made for European cars

Old 05-06-2005, 06:29 AM
YellowBellyMini
2nd Gear
That may very well be true, however, when i checked out the AMD site a while back, they claim that their mini one gains 25-30 bhp from their device alone. This makes me think that the cooper, though with more power stock( i dont really understand the difference between the cooper and one models) would be able to get similar gains, especially with american models de-tuned for emissions. Its so hard to find any information about tuning the cooper though. I do already have intake and full exhaust, so that also leads me to believe there would be more significant gains to be had to get the most out of the mods. Another reason I want the SAFC2 is that i plan to gradually add more mods like a schrick cam, which i hope to get this summer, and some head work, and possibly bored throttle body. I would tend to think that with these mods in mind, there are greater benefits and gains to be had. However, I cannot find any information pertaining to the Cooper, just the s's...makes me bitter about the 6 month wait for the S when i got my car!

If anybody knows anything or anyonel, I would really like to be pointed in the right direction of somebody who know the non-super charged motors.

i also was was told that my motor could handle a 100 shot of no2...sounds pretty extravagant...any thoughts on that??

Old 05-06-2005, 06:51 AM
andy@ross-tech.com
6th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
The MINI ONE is a rather special case. The engine is identical to the Cooper, yet it makes significantly less horsepower because the throttle does not open all the way. I'm serious, it is the biggest gift to chiptuners who can merely reflash the ONE's DME with the Cooper program for 25 real HP since the throttle can now open all the way.

Old 05-07-2005, 12:05 PM
5th Gear
Temperature seems to have a lot to do with what air/fuel the ecu chooses. When tuning with the apexi will it still consider temps for the final air/fuel or is a specific ratio set?

Old 05-08-2005, 07:50 AM
dairyboy
2nd Gear
Like someone else have asked, are they the same SAFC-II with different wiring diagrams included in the set or they are really two distinct/different SAFC-II (besides the boot up screen, noticed from one of the pics in this thread).

I have no doubt over its ability but having some clouds over my head as to which one to buy.

Old 05-08-2005, 08:47 AM
leon's rocket car
Banned
Originally Posted by dairyboy
Like someone else have asked, are they the same SAFC-II with different wiring diagrams included in the set or they are really two distinct/different SAFC-II (besides the boot up screen, noticed from one of the pics in this thread).

I have no doubt over its ability but having some clouds over my head as to which one to buy.
yea, I hear ya. The select isn't listed on the apexi webiste w/ wiring or technical info. Just the SAFC-II/ricer hook up&wiring. Just going to read about the SAFCII on the plane today anyways.

Old 05-08-2005, 06:36 PM
dairyboy
2nd Gear
I've checked it out already and there's not much info on the web about it. My *** parts guy can't find the "Select" version of the S-AFC, I am assuming it's an US product rather than local *** stuff. Pilo used to have a S-AFC installation PDF in their support forum area but it has been removed - got a funny feeling the S-AFC Select is in fact just a different way of wiring it in hence just about everybody shuddup regarding how it's to install it?

I wouldn't mind paying $20-30 to get some wiring diagram and installation info to hook up a S-AFC II (normal *** ones) to my MCS. If you haven't already noticed, the "Select" sells for $400+ while the ordinary S-AFC II can be had for as little as $238 on eBay. See where's my concern is?

Old 05-08-2005, 07:14 PM
FastLaneTuning
4th Gear
wow, marketing really is a crazy thing that makes people do crazy things....

dairyboy

the AFC Select version is specifically made for European vehicles - what the hell does that mean? well, it means it comes with wiring diagrams made for them instead of the riceboy honda, toyota, and nissan diagrams they normally come with....

why does it cost so much? just a guess, but maybe it has to do with the fact that the S-AFC II has been around for about 3 years now, and everyone in the world has inventory on them.... for example, the "limited edition BLACK S-AFC II" was supposed to be limited to only 1000 units for the U.S. - tell me why they "sold out" of them the first 3 weeks they were sold here, and all my vendors still have a huge supply of them?

the AFC Select has only been out for a few months, as I explained earlier in this thread as well, and considering your "*** parts guy" doesn't even know about it, maybe the "*** parts stores" don't have them in stock as they do the S-AFC II.... so if 10% of the stores have both the NEW and old units and the remaining 90% have only the OLD unit, what pricing do you think they would give for the NEW unit, simply because it is...... NEW?

the wiring diagram was already displayed earlier in this very thread, search around, read what has already been posted, it might be good for you.... but of course, if you really do want to pay someone $20-30 for the wiring diagram, i'll PM you my PayPal address.... SAME thing, SAME diagram considering the ECU pin-out doesn't change between the S-AFC II and AFC Select units....

i'll be glad to do a write-up on the installation as i promised earlier.... problem is, there weren't enough interested people asking about it at the time to warrant me wasting 3 hours of my life to do the same job the AFC Select instruction manual does, just with pictures of my lil' MINI

Quick Reply: Drivetrain APEXi S-AFC