Drivetrain (Cooper S) MINI Cooper S (R53) intakes, exhausts, pulleys, headers, throttle bodies, and any other modifications to the Cooper S drivetrain.

Drivetrain APEXi S-AFC

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2003, 01:45 PM
Yeagy
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Has anybody used the APEXi S-AFC to tune their MINI or MINI S yet?
I was thinking that since the car is running so rich all the time, leaning it out alittle bit could free up alittle horespower. I did a search for "APEXi S-AFC" and nothing came up, so if this is an old story sorry.
-yeagy
ps: here is a link to a site that sells them...APEXi S-AFC

Old 03-11-2003, 08:30 AM
Yeagy
2nd Gear
Anybody?

Old 03-11-2003, 08:32 AM
'*Ace*'
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Never read anything about anybody using something like before. I would like to see what it can do.

Old 03-11-2003, 03:58 PM
Fred
Neutral
>>Anybody?
http://www.alteredatmosphere.com/300...ineelectronics

Mike Mehaffey runs this web site. He and his dad are pretty knowledgeable, but they don't do Minis. He could tell you how to apply it, but I think you'd be the ginnea pig.

Old 03-11-2003, 07:01 PM
track-toy
4th Gear
Yeagy, I thought this was interesting and wanted Randy to comment. I therefore took the unprecedented liberty and reposted it. It'll still be your post and I'm not clainming any credit for your ideas. I just thought we needed to refocus the question. The new topic name in Performance Modifications is "Another question for Randy". I hope that's OK with everybody.

Old 03-11-2003, 11:28 PM
Yeagy
2nd Gear
Perfect, thanks!

Old 03-12-2003, 06:19 AM
froggert
1st Gear
i used to have an s-afc in my subaru, but have no idea how the mini fuel, air, and ecu work together. you'd basically have to identify and tap into the power, ground, rpm, and air (maf? map?) signals off the ecu. the afc alters the signal going into the ecu and the car responds by adding or subtracting fuel to the mixture.

if, like the subaru, the cooper constantly reads the 02 sensor during partial throttle and compensates accordingly, the ecu will "learn" any changes and not be effective. whoever the guinea pig is will also have to figure out which sensor settings to use..

roger

Old 03-14-2003, 12:12 PM
BC28
2nd Gear
>>if, like the subaru, the cooper constantly reads the 02 sensor during partial throttle and compensates accordingly, the ecu will "learn" any changes and not be effective. whoever the guinea pig is will also have to figure out which sensor settings to use..
>>
>>roger
>>
>>

Just trying to work this out in my head, any additional thoughts would be welcomed.

The s-afc uses a high and low throttle map (user set to switch between diferent fuel adjustment maps depending on throttle position).

Can you just set the low throttle map (say set for anything below 60% throttle) to not perform any fuel changes? That way the ecu cannot learn any changes during part throttle (ecu reading the O2 sensor) since there is no change in fuel delivery.

And since the ecu doesn't look at the O2 sensor at WOT, can you then have the high throtttle map lean the mixture out? Would this be a way to keep the ecu from negating any hp increases you get at WOT?

Old 03-14-2003, 12:37 PM
JiminVirginia
2nd Gear
I have a S-AFC on my Supra, along with a boost controller, Apex GT Spec Exhaust system, HKS boost controller, HKS fuel cut defenser, HKS blow off valve, HKS front mounted intercooler, and Powerhouse Racing Turbo. All of this produces 434 RWHP, or about 505 HP at the flywheel.

But I'm not so sure a S-AFC on its own will do much good. it makes sense when you've done a lot of mods (like a smaller SC pulley) and you need to change the fuel map; it's the other mods that really generate the HP; the S-AFC just makes sure there is appropriate fuel metering.

Also note that you have to dyno the car to tune to S-AFC.

Cheers.

Old 03-14-2003, 12:41 PM
Yeagy
2nd Gear
Jim- Did you forget the downpipe in your list of mods? Also, did you tune your safc on your own?
thanks
-yeagy
ps: check out http://www.supraforums.com if you are not on there yet...

Old 03-18-2003, 04:57 PM
bhcvc
2nd Gear
Another option to look into would be the Greddy E-Manage as it has a much higher resolution map for fuel and ignition timing when used w/ a laptop. Most ppl like the A'pex S-AFC cuz it's prettier w/ the display, but I personally believe the Greddy E-Manage is more powerful.

Old 10-26-2004, 11:45 AM
FastLaneTuning
4th Gear
(blast from the past, i realize this!)

Since everyone has their own opinions on which system works better, but no one talks of how the wiring diagram looks on the MCS for how to hook up either one (G-Emanage / APEXi S-AFC II since the first gen is no longer available), I have the S-AFC II sitting in a box as I wait for someone on here to provide a diagram, or a friend at a dyno-tuning shop nearby to figure it out for me.

I have years of experience using the APEXi product, as it was installed and tuned on my last car (yeah, it was a Honda, laugh now and get it over with). The GReddy unit is much more powerful, but not nearly as user-friendly, simply because not everyone has a laptop to throw in their car to do or see anything going on with the system.

Anyone have a wiring diagram for this thing yet? You better believe that I won't be as stingy with the diagram if I get my hands on it, that's for sure.....

Old 10-26-2004, 12:05 PM
clevy
2nd Gear
not possible

not possible, the mini's computer wont take to the safc. You could possibly smooth low throttle air-fuel but once it gets into the higher rpms it wont work. Plus the safc will have to be reprogrammed each time the mini is turned off. when it comes to the mini the only way to tune air fuel yourself is through stand alone systems,

Old 10-26-2004, 12:08 PM
clevy
2nd Gear
E-manage

Greddy e-manage is a very sub-par system, it does give more tuning options/parameters than the safc, but it in no way compares to lets say a UTEC or autronic system.

Old 10-26-2004, 12:26 PM
kenchan
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by clevy
not possible, the mini's computer wont take to the safc. You could possibly smooth low throttle air-fuel but once it gets into the higher rpms it wont work. Plus the safc will have to be reprogrammed each time the mini is turned off. when it comes to the mini the only way to tune air fuel yourself is through stand alone systems,

Old 10-26-2004, 12:45 PM
dhayashi
2nd Gear
Hopefully some vendor will come up with a solution - maybe when Franz from MTH comes out with his management software it would address those issues.
Till then you might want to not mix JDM products with your Mini - might lead to some unexpected results.

Old 10-26-2004, 05:21 PM
BlueMCS
5th Gear
Originally Posted by clevy
Not true! Several running it.

Waiting for Randy's "How-To".

Old 10-26-2004, 07:37 PM
macncheese
6th Gear
I've driven the SPI car with the AFC installed. Woosh!

--
Cheese

Old 10-26-2004, 07:46 PM
ukbyoung
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by macncheese
I've driven the SPI car with the AFC installed. Woosh!

--
Cheese
yes hes right member twinchargedmcs is running it.

Old 10-26-2004, 08:41 PM
clevy
2nd Gear
First of all, those twincharged cars are entirely different animals. Second, who cares about randy and his stupid how-to sections.

Old 10-26-2004, 08:43 PM
clevy
2nd Gear
I believe that the twincharged mini is using it to tune narrow throttle and idle situations, but i could be wrong. Waiting to be proven wrong....

Old 10-26-2004, 08:49 PM
FastLaneTuning
4th Gear
yeah, well, unfortunately some people have their heads in the clouds (yes, i'll be mature and put it that way), and fail to see or notice that THERE ARE IN FACT MINI'S WITH S-AFC'S INSTALLED!!!!

what is the deal here.... the MINI's ECU is adaptive, it will change, sure - so is the Subaru, and so are TONS of other new cars.... the S-AFC will not affect the adaptive nature of the ECU, but will override settings that the user suggests, so by saying 'it won't work' and calling it a day, you not only sound ignorant, but forget that its tried and true for some - its been done already!!

wow, its almost like i'm back 2 years ago on the HONDA messageboards, coming to the realization why i was eager to sell my honda......

Old 10-26-2004, 09:01 PM
clevy
2nd Gear
I wish that the twincharged mini owner would come and say what he is able to do with the afc, i am almost positive that he can only tune narrow throttle. Unless he is tuning some sort of sub-injection system, is the afc able to do that? Dont get me wrong, I am not saying that no one has the afc installed. I am saying that you have to rig up something nuts to get it to work right.

Old 10-27-2004, 05:05 AM
macncheese
6th Gear
jlm also has the Super AFC installed. They're both using it to tune bigger injectors and I believe its ~ 6 wires. I'm not sure about the wire count but its a fairly straight forward deal with no CEL. I was suprised as well!

--
Cheese

Old 10-27-2004, 07:25 AM
BlueMCS
5th Gear
I've driven both cars, viewed the installation and discussed the application of the S-AFC with both owners. Proof enough Clevy?

Quick Reply: Drivetrain APEXi S-AFC