Drivetrain (Cooper S) MINI Cooper S (R53) intakes, exhausts, pulleys, headers, throttle bodies, and any other modifications to the Cooper S drivetrain.

Drivetrain APEXi S-AFC

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2004, 11:04 AM
clevy
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What exactly did you discuss? Did you discuss whether or not they are able to tune the fuel all the way through the powerband or only at certain places?

Old 10-27-2004, 11:51 AM
FastLaneTuning
4th Gear
Originally Posted by BlueMCS
I've driven both cars, viewed the installation and discussed the application of the S-AFC with both owners. Proof enough Clevy?
[whispering]hey.... hook us up with the wiring diagram!! [/whispering]

Old 10-27-2004, 01:38 PM
BlueMCS
5th Gear
Originally Posted by clevy
What exactly did you discuss? Did you discuss whether or not they are able to tune the fuel all the way through the powerband or only at certain places?
PLONK!

FLT - don't have it. Don't really want it, adds about 10hp peak with a 19%. Cost $600+ with dyno time. Working on controlling what I have.

Old 10-27-2004, 03:05 PM
clevy
2nd Gear
I am not worthy....

No seriously though, I am really not worthy.

Old 10-27-2004, 03:36 PM
ZAMIRZ
5th Gear
Blue, you can get the S-AFC II for $320 + shipping. Installation shouldn't be very hard, if you can do an intake/exhaust, you can do the S-AFC. You do not necessarily need dyno time, just a wideband 02 sensor (okay, so you have to drill and tap a bunghole for the sensor to be installed in) and a straight patch of road where you can do a 4th gear pull from 1,000 rpm to redline.

Anyway, I'm also still waiting for a wiring diagram. Hubie from SPI was supposed to hook me up with it last year and we spoke about meeting up when they came out here for SEMA but he never returned my emails or called me back when they came out.

Old 10-27-2004, 06:48 PM
BlueMCS
5th Gear
$320 for the S-AFC, install isn't too tough. the power you get is mostly from leaning out the mid->upper range. With a 19% you are lean at the top even with a full setting on the S-AFC. Yes, you can do it with a wideband O2 without a dyno but you would need to log everything on the road, retune and relog many times. And you need an O2 unit that logs rpm and mixture. They cost $4-600. Much easier and more accurate on a dyno IMHO.

Old 10-27-2004, 08:05 PM
FastLaneTuning
4th Gear
phone call to my dyno-tuning friend scheduled for Friday.... I am not nearly capable of decoding a wiring harness that consumes 3 pages on the data sheets BMW techs get, so i'll let someone else figure it out.... but hey, wasn't that the reason i left mechanical engineering to become a business management major in the first place???

i'll see what i can come up with, and will be GLAD to let everyone know the pin set on the wiring diagram and how to successfully connect the S-AFC II to their MCS.... i don't mind doing this, but i would like to have it tuned successfully on the dyno before releasing the information to the public....

BlueMCS - the reason i am interested in the S-AFC, despite your claim of a mere 10hp gain, is that with my 19% pulley AND 400-440cc injectors, gains will be quite apparent... tuning the air / fuel mixture on any forced induction car is never a BAD thing, just look at how happy the replacement and flashed ECU owners are with their setup!

but the fact is, if they ever upgrade anything else on their car, their current settings are no longer accurate anymore - hell, even the change in seasons has an affect on how your aspirated vehicle performs, so if you could afford it, get this thing tuned every other season for optimal performance! but that isn't to say that _I_ could afford doing so, by any means!!

Old 01-14-2005, 08:01 AM
Pir8 97
4th Gear
Originally Posted by FastLaneTuning
i'll see what i can come up with, and will be GLAD to let everyone know the pin set on the wiring diagram and how to successfully connect the S-AFC II to their MCS.... i don't mind doing this, but i would like to have it tuned successfully on the dyno before releasing the information to the public....
Any news? I need a reliable fuel management system for upgrades I am making. My local shop talked about the S-AFC, but I want to make sure I'm using something that will get the job done on the MINI. Also any diagrams that could help us with the install would be wonderful. The other thing I'm considering is going with the unichip and tuning it on a dyno... but we're talking twice the price. Help please :smile:

Old 01-14-2005, 09:13 AM
FastLaneTuning
4th Gear
Pir8 97:

The A'PEXi S-AFC II is a wonderful unit. There is some talk that it cannot be used to its full potential in the MINI as it is designed for use on Japanese imports, but I hope to determine that for myself without listening to possible hearsay. The reason I appreciate the unit, coming from the Honda / Acura background, is the fact that there is a visual display associated with the unit, used for both tuning and daily driving.

This leads to the biggest benefit of all, the fact that one can tune and retune it as many times as possible, quickly and easily, with the addition of more aftermarket parts. If I had the ability to do so, which I just might, I will have mine tuned not just after adding more parts but for each major change in the seasons (summer / winter) as there is a difference in the maps associated with the change in weather and atmospheric pressure.

Just my 2 cents! Others will most likely argue for the other fuel management units.

Old 01-14-2005, 10:06 AM
jlm
6th Gear
my apexi and RC440 inkectors have been performing flawlessly for 10 months now.

Old 01-15-2005, 06:21 AM
Mugami
Coordinator :: River City Minis
And mine for around 6 months. Some of this info is now in Dan Pilo's hands who will be making report under another thread soon. His test will be with the bigger injectors and pulley changes.. not sure if i remember if he stated with the MTH programming or not.

Old 01-16-2005, 06:10 AM
MiniPilo
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Mugami
And mine for around 6 months. Some of this info is now in Dan Pilo's hands who will be making report under another thread soon. His test will be with the bigger injectors and pulley changes.. not sure if i remember if he stated with the MTH programming or not.
I do have the MTH now, and I'm waiting on Injectors from Marren that will be here this week. Then some dyno tuning with the wide band 02 Sensor, and I will see what happens.

Old 01-16-2005, 04:29 PM
jlm
6th Gear
the apexi can set hi and lo throttle airflow corrections over 12 points acorss the rpm range by +/-50%,in 1% increments thus correctiong the pulse signal sent to the injectors by the ECU, but what exactly do the following do:

RPM air correction;(also set over 12rpm points)
throttle opening setting

Old 01-16-2005, 07:19 PM
dingos
1st Gear
just go to apexi's website and download the directions and read what this pig back can do..........................Stop forming conclusions untill you get the facts! It's a great addition to just about any street car....that's if you know how to use it...kinda like the PMS system that some people hated and other's that knew how to program it loved it. PMs stands for program managment system...get your head's out of the gutter

Old 01-16-2005, 07:49 PM
MiniPilo
6th Gear
Originally Posted by jlm
the apexi can set hi and lo throttle airflow corrections over 12 points acorss the rpm range by +/-50%,in 1% increments thus correctiong the pulse signal sent to the injectors by the ECU, but what exactly do the following do:

RPM air correction;(also set over 12rpm points)
throttle opening setting
From Page 6 of the manual....

The SUPER AFC II is a fuel adjustment controller in which the airflow sensor signal or the pressure sensor signal can be modified in a 12 point RPM range by 1% increments to increase/decrease fuel in a range of +50% to –50%. The RPM to be corrected can be optionally set in 200 RPM increments, and corrections can be made according to throttle opening amounts. In a turbo equipped vehicle with a hot wire type airflow meter, this controller provides a preventive function for engine stall due to blow-back during throttle return. The controller, which includes a knocking meter, allows the monitoring of knock levels check keeping the engine under its optimum condition at all times. (Vehicle must have a factory knock sensor)

It modifies the sensor data from the Pressure sensor to tell the ECU that there is more or less air going into the engine, so that the ECU can trim the fuel either way giving you the desired A/F Ratio.

Old 01-16-2005, 08:14 PM
jlm
6th Gear
excuse me, but i still don't see an answer to my ?.

I thought the hi and low throttle correction parameters set the "new" airflow readings, as the manual states. To my reading, the manual is not clear. Are you saying it also has a parameter set based on pressure readings and tha either can be used: your quote from the manual: "the airflow sensor signal or the pressure sensor signal can be modified"

and what are the throttle opening settings?

dingo; what are you so upset about? i was one of the first to put this apexi on my mini over 10 months ago

Old 01-17-2005, 07:25 PM
dingos
1st Gear
I'm not upset, you just have to learn to read these instruction. Some cars have a MAP sensor and some have MAF. it will take awhile to learn how it works

Old 01-18-2005, 07:04 AM
Brian Spielman
3rd Gear
I'm interested in getting my hands on the new A'PEXi Super AFC II "Select" in February. Curious how it differs from the current one, designed for japanese cars. Haven't found much info on it yet, guess we'll just have to get one in and tune it on the dyno and see.

Applications: Audi, Volkswagon, BMW/Mini Cooper

Product Points:
- Specially designed SAFC II for European applications.
- All the functions of the renouned SAFC II, with special AFM maps for Euro cars.
- Opens the door for European car owners to enjoy piggy back fuel control designed specifically for their car.
- Previously only available for Japanese vehicles.

Product Features:
- 12 point RPM specific fuel control in 200 RPM increments.
- Precise fuel control up to +/- 50%.
- Store two different data maps for race and street.
- Password protection for added security.

Old 01-18-2005, 07:15 AM
MiniMe05
4th Gear
It is a very basic "tuning" tool. Very limited cababilities. No doubt some small gains can be had using it. In the inexperienced hands it can be very hazardous to your motor. Something like the TurboXS UTEC (which I run in my STi) would be awesome. Gives the user/tuner access to virtually all areas of the ECU. Not to mention little fun features like launch control and flat foot shifting.

Old 01-18-2005, 07:45 AM
jlm
6th Gear
tuning my rig with just the apex'i on Hubie's dyno picked up 10 wheel hp; then with the larger injectors and a re-tune, another 14.

cost: apex'i with injectors and tuning: $900 for a 24 hp gain

I am definitely understanding challenged when reading the apexi manual; fortunately Hubie is not.

Old 01-18-2005, 07:58 AM
El Diablito Rojo-N20Mini
Banned
Originally Posted by jlm
tuning my rig with just the apex'i on Hubie's dyno picked up 10 wheel hp; then with the larger injectors and a re-tune, another 14.

cost: apex'i with injectors and tuning: $900 for a 24 hp gain

I am definitely understanding challenged when reading the apexi manual; fortunately Hubie is not.
It's definitely one of the better HP to $$$ pick-ups but as usual most will complain about it....sigh***

Old 01-18-2005, 09:41 AM
spillman
5th Gear
Still no wirring diagram? Come on now I know someone has one. Would anyone be interested if perhaps some cash was to be excanged for it?

Old 01-18-2005, 09:55 AM
MiniPilo
6th Gear
Originally Posted by spillman
Still no wirring diagram? Come on now I know someone has one. Would anyone be interested if perhaps some cash was to be excanged for it?
This is the main thing that you get with the s-afc2 select. We provide more details then this when ordering the unit from us

Old 01-18-2005, 05:39 PM
FastLaneTuning
4th Gear
S-AFC Select, you say.... hmm....

well, looks like I'm putting everything back in the box and sending it back for a 'Select' unit! sounds like a good idea to do that instead of messing around with the S-AFC II...

Using that wiring diagram, I'll post any thoughts on the installation when I get it in and wire it up. I'll give my distributor a call tomorrow and get on the list for it. Currently I have the stock 330cc injectors, but I won't go have the unit tuned until I get the 400-440cc's in, so we can have a good comparisson to make between tuning the S-AFC II for Japanese vehicles and the Select for european cars.

Old 01-18-2005, 05:41 PM
MiniPilo
6th Gear
Originally Posted by FastLaneTuning
S-AFC Select, you say.... hmm....

well, looks like I'm putting everything back in the box and sending it back for a 'Select' unit! sounds like a good idea to do that instead of messing around with the S-AFC II...

Using that wiring diagram, I'll post any thoughts on the installation when I get it in and wire it up. I'll give my distributor a call tomorrow and get on the list for it. Currently I have the stock 330cc injectors, but I won't go have the unit tuned until I get the 400-440cc's in, so we can have a good comparisson to make between tuning the S-AFC II for Japanese vehicles and the Select for european cars.
Basically they are just including the directions for Euro Vehicles. Not much else different. to my knowledge....

Quick Reply: Drivetrain APEXi S-AFC