Drivetrain (Cooper S) MINI Cooper S (R53) intakes, exhausts, pulleys, headers, throttle bodies, and any other modifications to the Cooper S drivetrain.

Drivetrain One-Ball Exhaust Surgery - Before/After Photos

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2005, 05:40 AM
muy_mini
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
One-Ball Exhaust Surgery - Before/After Photos

Sorry, I wanted to post this months ago, but never got around to it...

Below are before and after photos of the One-Ball Exhaust mod on an '05 MCS. What's not really evident in the photo is the run of 2-1/4" tubing between the mandrel bent elbow [not a crimped elbow] and the cat, which was replaced with 2-1/2" diameter tubing.
Other than the benefits of dropping over 20-lbs from the car and being an inexpensive exhaust option [~$85 USD at your local exhaust shop], biggest surprise was it got rid of the obnoxious resonance that I had at about 2200 RMPs.
Looking at the photos, it now makes me almost want to remove the exhaust tip slip-ons. I hate exhaust facades of any flavor - especially ones that try to make the exhaust look bigger than it really is. And doesn't it make you start to wonder if there would be room for a spare if the battery was relocated over to the right side of the trunk...?

-B

Old 08-22-2005, 05:42 AM
mdsbrain
OVERDRIVE
Thank you for the pics and write up. I have heard so much but never seen the difference from under the car when installed. Really nice .

Can we get audio of the exhaust? I wonder how it sounds in comparison to the original.

Old 08-22-2005, 11:35 AM
jac
1st Gear
great pics!

any issues with the alignment of the tips now?

Also, an audio clip would be great...thanks!!!!

-jac

Old 08-22-2005, 11:41 AM
kenchan
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
very clean!

Old 08-22-2005, 05:09 PM
Bahamabart
6th Gear
1-ball

I did the same several months back and an happy with the results.

Been toying with the idea of addding OBX header.

Bahamabart

Old 08-22-2005, 08:08 PM
muy_mini
2nd Gear
Jac,

If you're asking if I have a problem with the tips [my tips in the original post] because of alignment, the answer is 'no.' I have a problem with any exhaust tip that trys to fool the eye by expanding the last few inches, in order to look like a big fat exhaust was run the entire path from the engine to the tailpipe. The MCS exhaust is guilty of this a wee bit.
And then there's systems where more exhaust tips are used than the major pipe runs down the length of the car. My favorite BS exhaust system is dual Foster's oil cans, one on each side of the car, for inline motors. Nothing like a little extra weight and expense just for the sake of cool. If the motor is a vee or boxer with dual collectors run the length of the car, that's the time for a true dual exhaust.
The latest 'big fat lie' of an exhaust system I've seen lately, is a quad tipped, dual exhaust [late model Pontiacs?], where there is one exhaust per side that doesn't even flow exhaust [the tips are totally cosmetic dummies].
Hope I didn't crush too many toes out there. Guess I'm having a bad Monday...

-Barry

PS - Will have to let someone else offer up an audio clip.

Originally Posted by jac
great pics!

any issues with the alignment of the tips now?

Also, an audio clip would be great...thanks!!!!

-jac

Old 08-23-2005, 05:06 AM
1FSTMINI
6th Gear
Ive done the samething awhile back and it sounds alot better than stock.....i do notice you get alot of SNAP CRACK ***** YOU notes when coming of the pedal between shifts of coming to a stop. Ill get a sound clip if you guys want , but i am slow and it might take forever being ...im just slow i guess. . I never knew there was a name for this and just went and did it not even knowing it was being done on the forums. works gr8 and flows alot better than the double cans.

Old 08-23-2005, 05:31 AM
tommyb
1st Gear
One Ball

I'd like to try this on my car but have never heard a good sound clip, can someone please post one so I can hear what it sounds like,

Thanks,
tommyb

Old 08-23-2005, 05:56 AM
LeeL
5th Gear
Man, every time I look under one fof these, I am reminded at how pathetically weak the rear control arms look. I can't beleive MINI used those things!

Old 08-23-2005, 06:20 AM
gocart29
2nd Gear
I searched thinking there was a sound clip of the one-ball, but I guess I was mistaken. However, I did this about a year ago and what I found is that it is just a little louder than stock, retaining the similar stock throatiness, accompanied by an occasional crackle and pop when downshifting or when you abruptly lift off the throttle. Very pleasant without being annoying.

I would say the freer breathing helps low-end torque just a little bit as well, but I would say claims of a 9 hp improvement with this mod are exaggerated.

Old 08-23-2005, 01:24 PM
Bugs
4th Gear
Originally Posted by muy_mini
. What's not really evident in the photo is the run of 2-1/4" tubing between the mandrel bent elbow [not a crimped elbow] and the cat, which was replaced with 2-1/2" diameter tubing.
Sorry, but newbie question here.

ive never been on bottom side of the miniS yet, but i assume the cat is much further up the car, near the header as with most cars? or is it further back?

and what is under the metal shield below the exhaust tips?

Old 08-23-2005, 01:27 PM
andy@ross-tech.com
6th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
The cat is as you suspected, much further toward the front of the car. That aluminum shield covers the battery box.

Old 08-23-2005, 01:31 PM
Profpatpending
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by andy@ross-tech.com
The cat is as you suspected, much further toward the front of the car. That aluminum shield covers the battery box.
have you still got this mod Andy?

Old 08-23-2005, 01:52 PM
andy@ross-tech.com
6th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Yep, it's been treating me just fine.

Old 08-23-2005, 06:28 PM
muy_mini
2nd Gear
From the elbow in the photos I posted, the run up to the cat is just under [about] five feet. The cat almost looks like a resonator. The original reason I replaced the elbow to cat run with larger tubing was to save money and avoid another weld joint. After my muffler shop got the elbow in stock, they realized that there would have to be another short section of bent tubing added to really match up with the original pipe. So, I opted to just replace the entire section up to the cat with larger tubing that had a slight bend on the end mating with the elbow.

BTW, the tubing diameter between the ***** is 2-1/2", but the stock tubing is 2-1/4" between the upstream ball and cat.
-B

Originally Posted by Bugs
Sorry, but newbie question here.

ive never been on bottom side of the miniS yet, but i assume the cat is much further up the car, near the header as with most cars? or is it further back?

and what is under the metal shield below the exhaust tips?

Old 08-23-2005, 09:08 PM
Bugs
4th Gear
so basically, they chopped Right after the cat, flared it out to 2.5" and ran tube up to behind the battery box and a left bend into the stock muffler and out the stock tips?

Do you like the sound? Much louder? much difference in tone? Im thinking this will be my exhaust mod for now. I was looking into cat backs, but this makes much more sense. Add a straight through muffler inplace of the passenger side muffler, and you should be about as open as you will get with any of the pre-made setups.

I got a good local shop which does great work and cheap for me so i may call in a favour from them.

Originally Posted by muy_mini
From the elbow in the photos I posted, the run up to the cat is just under [about] five feet. The cat almost looks like a resonator. The original reason I replaced the elbow to cat run with larger tubing was to save money and avoid another weld joint. After my muffler shop got the elbow in stock, they realized that there would have to be another short section of bent tubing added to really match up with the original pipe. So, I opted to just replace the entire section up to the cat with larger tubing that had a slight bend on the end mating with the elbow.

BTW, the tubing diameter between the ***** is 2-1/2", but the stock tubing is 2-1/4" between the upstream ball and cat.
-B

Old 08-23-2005, 10:25 PM
Dr Obnxs
Former Vendor
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I had this for quite a while

Best exhaust for the price. Now it's in my shed.... I went OBX etc....

Matt

Old 08-24-2005, 05:10 AM
muy_mini
2nd Gear
Your synopsis is correct...
I'm happy with the sound - slightly louder w/o being obnoxious and the snap, crackle, and pop comes thru a little more noticeable. It's loud enough now, in the cabin, that there is a difference in loudness between rear seats up or down [louder]. Too bad the system isn't mirrored - exhaust ball on the other side of the car to offset the driver's weight. If you can sleep at night knowing that it isn't polished and/or made by some exotic exhaust system boutique, it's a great bang for the buck system...
-B

Originally Posted by Bugs
so basically, they chopped Right after the cat, flared it out to 2.5" and ran tube up to behind the battery box and a left bend into the stock muffler and out the stock tips?

Do you like the sound? Much louder? much difference in tone? Im thinking this will be my exhaust mod for now. I was looking into cat backs, but this makes much more sense. Add a straight through muffler inplace of the passenger side muffler, and you should be about as open as you will get with any of the pre-made setups.

I got a good local shop which does great work and cheap for me so i may call in a favour from them.

Old 08-24-2005, 06:48 AM
Bahamabart
6th Gear
Concur

Concur - slightly enhanced sound and great bang for the buck. Nice compliment to a CAI (and pulley) for pennies.

When I did this it seemed my only other option was CAT back systems that were 700 plus however there are now some nice CAT back systems out there for 500 bucks so the decision would be harder for me today.

I am on the fence at present to either add a OBX header to the 1-ball or purchase a 500 cat back - any thoughts guys ?

BahamaBart

Old 09-17-2005, 04:05 PM
myzamboni
5th Gear
Just did the One-Ball mod this morning. Like MuyMini, I upped to 2.5" from 2.25" from the Cat back to connect with the muffler. Took it to the hills to check the performance difference and, even after reading all the posts, was pleasantly surprised at the power difference. Some rises that were 5th gear with stock exhaust are now easily climbed in 6th. It is a deeper sound (the previous posters claiming a tinny sound were not listening to a Oneball IMHO.

Dr. Obnxs: Lupe says hello.

Old 09-17-2005, 07:01 PM
Dr Obnxs
Former Vendor
Excellent!

Originally Posted by myzamboni
Dr. Obnxs: Lupe says hello.
Hope he treated you well....

Matt

Old 09-17-2005, 08:05 PM
Turmoil
2nd Gear
This is something I would really liek to do as a mod... anyway you can take a picture of it as if i was standing behind your car? Also, anyone know what the average hp gain is by doing this?

Sorry to ask so many quesitons. Also, does MINI use stainless steal for the tubing or aluminum?

Old 09-18-2005, 08:32 AM
muy_mini
2nd Gear
From the rear, the exhaust will look identical, except you will not see the passenger side muffler [it was removed].

My muffler guy said that the stock tubing was stainless. I'm assuming you meant aluminized steel, because pure aluminum isn't used for exhaust systems. I opted for plain ol' mild steel 2-1/2" tubing for the run between the cat and elbow. Even if you opt for all stainless, the price will still be a tiny fraction of an aftermarket system.

And like Dr. Obnxs stated, you will more than likely think the sound isn't 'tinny.' But exhaust systems are obviously an emotional and subjective subject...

-Barry

Originally Posted by Turmoil
This is something I would really liek to do as a mod... anyway you can take a picture of it as if i was standing behind your car? Also, anyone know what the average hp gain is by doing this?

Sorry to ask so many quesitons. Also, does MINI use stainless steal for the tubing or aluminum?

Old 09-19-2005, 07:52 AM
fishbulb
6th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
thanks for the info on the SS vs. aluminized steel...that was my first question.

Next is, does the exhaust have to come off the car to do this? IS it fitted in place & then removed for final welding? Or can it all be done in the car.

It seems to me that it would all need to be removed, but i ask anyway!

thanks!

-jac

Old 09-19-2005, 10:20 AM
Dr Obnxs
Former Vendor
Mine was done in car....

Originally Posted by fishbulb
thanks for the info on the SS vs. aluminized steel...that was my first question.

Next is, does the exhaust have to come off the car to do this? IS it fitted in place & then removed for final welding? Or can it all be done in the car.

It seems to me that it would all need to be removed, but i ask anyway!

thanks!

-jac
But no matter what, have it tacked when in the car, if you want to remove it for beautiful welds... No better place to work out the alignement than where it will finally be...

Matt

Quick Reply: Drivetrain One-Ball Exhaust Surgery - Before/After Photos