Drivetrain (Cooper S) MINI Cooper S (R53) intakes, exhausts, pulleys, headers, throttle bodies, and any other modifications to the Cooper S drivetrain.

Drivetrain I.C.E. Thermo Electric Cooling

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2005, 10:23 AM
webstrands
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I.C.E. Thermo Electric Cooling

Have any of you heard about this product?

Click on the image for more information.

With the MINIs sensitivity to charge temp, I would imagine that this could make some horsepower.

What do you guys think?

Old 06-24-2005, 10:26 AM
mdsbrain
OVERDRIVE
I read the site and it doesn't say how cooling the fuel affects performance

Old 06-24-2005, 10:31 AM
webstrands
3rd Gear
I would have thought that the mixing of cooler fuel, along with the air charge would make a cooler charge, wouldn't it?

Old 06-24-2005, 10:39 AM
rockymt98
2nd Gear
Old idea modernized?

Wasn't there a mod used in 60-70's drag cars where a cannister of ice with a coil of copper tubing fuel line looped in it was used to cool the fuel before it entered the carburetor?

Old 06-24-2005, 10:39 AM
Greatbear
Moderator :: Performance Mods
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Fuel cooling setups were mostly used in carbureted or low pressure injected applications to prevent fuel boiling, vapor lock and fuel mixture instability. Since the MINI along with just about anything short of lawnmowers these days is fuel injected using high pressure, there is really nothing to be gained with a fuel cooling system. This item is an electric version of the old 'cool can' which was a coil of tubing carrying the fuel immersed in a ice bucket-like cooler. You filled this up with ice water to cool the fuel running through the tubing on it's way to the carbs. This kept the fuel in the float bowls from boiling and upsetting the engine tune and helped the mixture consistency in hot/varying temps. Since the fuel delivery is controlled by the ECU and adjusted for environmental conditions, there isn't the chance for similar problems to occur.

This might be more of an interest to Classic owners than the new cars.

Old 06-24-2005, 11:46 AM
dhayashi
2nd Gear
Is that a giant Peltier device? I've seen similar devices for super cooling CPUs on enthusiast computer systems.

Old 06-24-2005, 11:58 AM
Greatbear
That would rawk on my water cooled Athlon system.

Old 06-24-2005, 12:09 PM
not-so-rednwhitecooper
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by rockymt98
Wasn't there a mod used in 60-70's drag cars where a cannister of ice with a coil of copper tubing fuel line looped in it was used to cool the fuel before it entered the carburetor?
yep ice water in an aluminum container with about 10 loops of copper line in it.... i still have one off of one of our roadrunner race cars

Old 06-24-2005, 12:49 PM
gmcdonnell
4th Gear
Originally Posted by dhayashi
Is that a giant Peltier device? I've seen similar devices for super cooling CPUs on enthusiast computer systems.
Yep, that's a Peltier effect thermoelectric heat pump. Probably several set up in parallel. I used to use these a fair amount back in my defense engineering days.

The only advantage I can think of with regards to using one of these is that it would slightly lower the temperature of the intake charge. But thermodynamically speaking it would have a very minor effect at most. The mass of the air in the mixture is going to be the dominant factor in the temperature of the charge - if I recall correctly there's 12 to 15 times as much air as fuel (by mass) in the cylinder.

/gary mc

Old 06-24-2005, 01:37 PM
ingsoc
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Greatbear
That would rawk on my water cooled Athlon system.
Hell yeah! I bow down, oh he of massive FSB speed-age!

Old 06-24-2005, 02:22 PM
bodinski
5th Gear
Old 06-24-2005, 03:41 PM
BFG9000
5th Gear
Not just high pressure that prevents vapor lock in fuel-injected cars, but also a return line that continuously recirculates the fuel. This also means that a cool can would probably need to refrigerate the whole gas tank in an injected car....

And the bottom line for peltiers is you'd probably need ten power-sucking alternators to run enough of them.

Old 06-24-2005, 04:26 PM
Greatbear
Actually the MINI along with most new cars these days have a 'returnless' fuel injection system. The reason for implementing this is not too far removed from the idea of fuel cooling. In the past, fuel injection systems ran the fuel from the tank via a pump in back, to the engine compartment, through the fuel rails and a regulator. The regulator controlled the pressure by returning fuel to the tank once a predetermined pressure was met; in other words the pump just pushed the fuel up, and what was not burned by the engine was returned to the tank. The downsides to this was that most of the fuel pumped was returned to the tank during average conditions. This required a much larger fuel filtering setup because you would essentially be filtering each tankful of fuel over ten times before it was used up. More of a problem though was the heat picked up by the fuel as it went through the engine compartment raised the temperature of all the fuel in the tank, causing it to evaporate at a rate much higer that if the fuel simply remained in the tank. Returnless fuel systems were created to ease the load on the evaporative emissions control systems on cars as well as cut down on raw fuel evaporative emissions coming from cars during fueling and such. The cooler fuel also stays denser in the lines and can be metered into the engine more precisely as conditions change.

The evaporative emissions control system is what is responsible for turning on the check engine lamp if your gas cap is loose.

A side benefit of the returnless system? The fuel filter on the MINI is sized as if it were a return-type system, but only filters each tank of fuel once as it's consumed. Because of this, the fuel filter lasts the life of the car. You dont have to replace it.

Old 06-24-2005, 04:28 PM
tech-gi
2nd Gear
No it's a...

Beer cooler and pizza warmer???
put a pony keg in the back and put the cooler in line to the tap!
Use the heat from the P-junction to re-heat the pizza!

Old 06-24-2005, 06:03 PM
rockymt98
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by rednwhitecooper
yep ice water in an aluminum container with about 10 loops of copper line in it.... i still have one off of one of our roadrunner race cars
Cool, Roadrunners! Loved those cars. six pack carbs, 383 CU inches...yah more power! Jeez the cars we drive sure have changed a bit! I think I like the change?

One of my brother in law's still has a an old muscle car. 67 Camaro convertible, 327, single Holley 650. mid rise intake, headers, 4:11 rear end, 4 speed. Fun to go straight in. Doesn't like the corners much though. Sounds really cool. Easy to work on. Climb in under hood and sit down....Ahhhh remember those days?

Old 06-26-2005, 03:58 PM
jabrowntx
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by webstrands
What do you guys think?
I think that is a VERY nice sig picture you "took"! Do you do anything original or do you just like to use other people's work?

Old 06-26-2005, 05:18 PM
mybroscoop
6th Gear
whoah, chill, yes i agree that using somebody else's work without permission is wrong, but i also think that i would feel greatly complimented if somebody decided to use my work(especially if you knew my photograpy skills or lack thereof). A little bit of grace goes a long ways, especially in todays age.

Old 06-26-2005, 07:18 PM
jabrowntx
3rd Gear
Oh, don't get me wrong, I am flattered that he liked the picture -- I don't appreciate it being photochopped and used as his sig, however. Usually people like to use their OWN cars in their sig.

Granted, the picture is (soon to be was) posted here, but I still have 'copyright' on it as it is NOT in the public domain.

Old 06-26-2005, 08:21 PM
mybroscoop
6th Gear
sorry, deciphering emotion online can be tough and since it seems like NAM has been in "one of those moods" i automatically presumed the worse, maybe it was the drive across nebraska and iowa on I-80 thats puttin me in this weird mood, cam you say "Boring"! ,
Ben

Old 06-26-2005, 09:01 PM
webstrands
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by jabrowntx
Oh, don't get me wrong, I am flattered that he liked the picture -- I don't appreciate it being photochopped and used as his sig, however. Usually people like to use their OWN cars in their sig.

Granted, the picture is (soon to be was) posted here, but I still have 'copyright' on it as it is NOT in the public domain.
I am sorry. I didn't mean top offend anybody, nor did I ever claim that it was my original work. I just thought it was a great image for a sig, due to its "wide-clipped" layout.

I will remove it, immediately and again I apologize.

Regards,
Rob Morrone

Old 06-26-2005, 09:03 PM
webstrands
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by jabrowntx
If you would be kind enough to allow me to use it, I would appreciate it.

If not, I understand.

Old 06-26-2005, 09:09 PM
jabrowntx
3rd Gear
Thanks, Rob.

I'm not the best photographer by a long-shot and I am flattered that you thought enough of my picture to use it as your sig file. This is the first time that someone has used on of my photos, so I'm a bit sensitive to it.

Now that is out of the way, yes, you may continue to use it and I, too apologize if I came-off as sounding as if you were claiming it as your own.

Old 06-26-2005, 09:37 PM
mybroscoop
6th Gear
oh i love it when things work out for the best :smile:

Old 06-27-2005, 06:21 AM
webstrands
3rd Gear
Thanks Jeff. BTW, you might see it on other boards as MiniMo. That's me, too. That login was taken, here on NAM, otherwise, I would have used MiniMo, here too.