Drivetrain (Cooper S) MINI Cooper S (R53) intakes, exhausts, pulleys, headers, throttle bodies, and any other modifications to the Cooper S drivetrain.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

380cc Fuel Injectors on the cheap - How To

  #1  
Old 04-13-2019, 03:21 PM
co0p3r
co0p3r is offline
4th Gear
Thread Starter
Join Date: Mar 2015
Posts: 312
Received 37 Likes on 33 Posts
380cc Fuel Injectors on the cheap - How To

I figured I would write this up so that anyone needing or wanting to install 380cc injectors in their 1st Generation MINI can do it on the cheap.

Parts you will need:
Bosch 30757534 Fuel Injectors (4) - I got mine a FCP Euro for ~26$ each
EV6/USCar Connector Kit EV6/USCar Connector Kit
- I got this from Amazon ~40$
Delphi Weatherpack Crimp Tool Delphi Weatherpack Crimp Tool
- again amazon ~27$
Silicon Grease - I had this around already (you need it to make sure not to damage the injectors when installing)

So what you are doing is changing the factory EV1 connector on the MINI Harness to the newer EV6 connector, not using adapter. You can use them if you want but its a mess and many extra points of possible failure.

So for less than 200$ you can have 380cc JCW equivalent injectors (or if you are going with a tune 440cc, 500cc or your choice) almost all the modern injectors are EV6 connector. If you have never done a weatherpack style connector there are video on installing them all over youtube:


 
The following 2 users liked this post by co0p3r:
Andy_S (04-14-2019), lotter1 (04-15-2019)
  #2  
Old 04-15-2019, 08:20 AM
lotter1
lotter1 is offline
3rd Gear
iTrader: (1)
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: Tucson, AZ
Posts: 254
Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts
Thanks,
your link is down in a different post.
https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...ml#post4289313

How do you like these injectors so far? I just bought a set from RMeuropean for $74 shipped.
 
  #3  
Old 04-15-2019, 11:35 AM
co0p3r
co0p3r is offline
4th Gear
Thread Starter
Join Date: Mar 2015
Posts: 312
Received 37 Likes on 33 Posts
I noticed pretty much no difference, but that is not a bad thing, it means that they are scaling correctly.
 
  #4  
Old 04-18-2019, 03:25 AM
SuN13300
SuN13300 is offline
1st Gear
Join Date: Sep 2014
Posts: 27
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Nice job,

I personnaly used cheap adaptors from eBay and it's working fine
 
  #5  
Old 04-18-2019, 06:06 AM
cooper48's Avatar
cooper48
cooper48 is online now
4th Gear
Join Date: Jul 2018
Location: DFW
Posts: 467
Received 72 Likes on 70 Posts
#co0p3r ... what are you running these 380 injectors on? I checked the FCP Euro site link you provided and it says that they do not fit an '04 Cooper S. Is that because they're originally spec'd for a Volvo? Thanks.
 

Last edited by cooper48; 04-18-2019 at 06:25 AM.
  #6  
Old 04-18-2019, 08:34 AM
co0p3r
co0p3r is offline
4th Gear
Thread Starter
Join Date: Mar 2015
Posts: 312
Received 37 Likes on 33 Posts
Originally Posted by cooper48 View Post
#co0p3r ... what are you running these 380 injectors on? I checked the FCP Euro site link you provided and it says that they do not fit an '04 Cooper S. Is that because they're originally spec'd for a Volvo? Thanks.
Correct they are NOT spec'ed for MINI that is why you need adapters or to change out the connectors. BUT they are newer technology and are way cheaper than the OEM JCW units.
 
  #7  
Old 04-20-2019, 07:18 PM
cooper48's Avatar
cooper48
cooper48 is online now
4th Gear
Join Date: Jul 2018
Location: DFW
Posts: 467
Received 72 Likes on 70 Posts
Another question: Since the 380cc injectors are only slightly larger than the R53 stock injectors, is reprogramming of the ECU required or will it automatically reset to the additional volume flow? Will disconnecting the battery solve this issue?
 
  #8  
Old 04-24-2019, 06:51 AM
co0p3r
co0p3r is offline
4th Gear
Thread Starter
Join Date: Mar 2015
Posts: 312
Received 37 Likes on 33 Posts
Originally Posted by cooper48 View Post
Another question: Since the 380cc injectors are only slightly larger than the R53 stock injectors, is reprogramming of the ECU required or will it automatically reset to the additional volume flow? Will disconnecting the battery solve this issue?
Sorry for the late response - Yes you replace the stock 330cc MINI Cooper Injectors with JCW 380cc (or equivalent) and NOT require a tune. The computer can adjust enough (but it might run a little bit richer), SO the answer is that re-programming is NOT Required but is highly advised to take full advantage of the upgrade.

So that being said you can achieve this one of several ways: if you local dealer is willing (and most are) have them do the reprogramming (dont call go there and talk to the techs). 2nd I know that Way from Way Motor works will do the flash if you send your ECU to him for a reasonable price. I would suggest some supporting mods at least a CAI and maybe a better exhaust, but you can get a 210 tune for less than 500$

Injectors well under 200$ (if you go with the ones I suggested)
Tune I think i he gets like 250$
Shipping both ways. ~50

this assumes you have some sort of exhaust and CAI. Let me know if I can answer anymore questions.
 
  #9  
Old 04-24-2019, 06:56 AM
cooper48's Avatar
cooper48
cooper48 is online now
4th Gear
Join Date: Jul 2018
Location: DFW
Posts: 467
Received 72 Likes on 70 Posts
Originally Posted by co0p3r View Post
Sorry for the late response - Yes you replace the stock 330cc MINI Cooper Injectors with JCW 380cc (or equivalent) and NOT require a tune. The computer can adjust enough (but it might run a little bit richer), SO the answer is that re-programming is NOT Required but is highly advised to take full advantage of the upgrade.

So that being said you can achieve this one of several ways: if you local dealer is willing (and most are) have them do the reprogramming (dont call go there and talk to the techs). 2nd I know that Way from Way Motor works will do the flash if you send your ECU to him for a reasonable price. I would suggest some supporting mods at least a CAI and maybe a better exhaust, but you can get a 210 tune for less than 500$

Injectors well under 200$ (if you go with the ones I suggested)
Tune I think i he gets like 250$
Shipping both ways. ~50

this assumes you have some sort of exhaust and CAI. Let me know if I can answer anymore questions.
Thanks for the response. The mods I have are a Dinan Stage 1 tune, 15% pulley and a one-ball exhaust. Without additional mods, are you saying that the larger injectors will not provide a HP increase?
 
  #10  
Old 04-24-2019, 07:40 AM
co0p3r
co0p3r is offline
4th Gear
Thread Starter
Join Date: Mar 2015
Posts: 312
Received 37 Likes on 33 Posts
Originally Posted by cooper48 View Post
Thanks for the response. The mods I have are a Dinan Stage 1 tune, 15% pulley and a one-ball exhaust. Without additional mods, are you saying that the larger injectors will not provide a HP increase?
I would say that the injectors will only add minor if any HP gains - that being said it will provide a much greater degree of safety to your engine and tune, I had a guy at the last dyno event with a Dinan tune, that thing made mad power and we later went to the track (1/4 Mile) that evening, I was beat repeatedly by that car. But on the dyno with stock injectors it was running scary lean, we changed the injectors on the dyno and it was well within spec and like I said I got out run repeatable.

I might still have the dyno results I can look through my files for it.
 
  #11  
Old 04-24-2019, 07:49 AM
co0p3r
co0p3r is offline
4th Gear
Thread Starter
Join Date: Mar 2015
Posts: 312
Received 37 Likes on 33 Posts
OK here is the info from the file(s) I have for the Dinan Car



Notice the AFR on run one it was in the area of 17:1 (bad scary) new injectors and a tune adjustment and that car was making a sold 220WHP

Specs I have in my note:
2005 R53 MCS

Alta Cold Air Intake Version 2.0
Alta Top Mount Intercooler Version 2.0 (driver controlled water injection not installed)
Alta 17% Supercharger Reduction Pulley
Alta 3% Overdrive Lightweight Crank Pulley
Dinan High Flow Throttle Body
Dinan Stage 5 Performance Engine Software (Tune)
550cc injectors
 
The following users liked this post:
cooper48 (04-24-2019)
  #12  
Old 04-24-2019, 02:43 PM
cooper48's Avatar
cooper48
cooper48 is online now
4th Gear
Join Date: Jul 2018
Location: DFW
Posts: 467
Received 72 Likes on 70 Posts
Impressive. My Dinan Stage 1 provided 12hp (175hp from the stock 163hp) before the 15% pulley and exhaust mod. I've not dynoed it since but I estimate I'm running 192-195hp, possibly a touch more. I will say that what I'm reading, after a 380cc injector swap, about a smoother idle and acceleration is very attractive even if a bump in power is not created. Thanks very much for the info.
 
  #13  
Old 05-14-2019, 09:37 PM
Mortification's Avatar
Mortification
Mortification is offline
Neutral
Join Date: Nov 2018
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 3
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
You do know that the jumper harness clips are way cheaper. Like $16 bucks on eBay. Get the harness jumpers though not the straight clips. The clip style (only) will give issues and misfires don’t ask how I know lol. I had to order the harness version to get my car to run right. Have had them for 2 weeks no issues.

they came in a 8 pack so I have 4 extra for sale if anyone wants some. They are new. I paid 13.49 for 8. I’d take like $7 shipped for 4 or y’all can get the 8 pack and share with a friend or save in case of any issue

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?m...2F401739835260
 
  #14  
Old 05-15-2019, 08:08 AM
Mortification's Avatar
Mortification
Mortification is offline
Neutral
Join Date: Nov 2018
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 3
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Also another thing for you guys to consider...

the Bosch injectors come with smaller o rings at the bottom injector compared to the oem mini ones. I read somewhere someone had issues with it not sealing properly so to prevent that do yourself a favor and order 4 new cooper s o rings. The top ones are the same , only the lower portion of injector has the smaller diameter seals.
 
Related Topics
Thread
Thread Starter
Forum
Replies
Last Post
KinetechMW
MINI Parts for Sale
0
09-10-2015 03:12 PM
HarleyQuinn
MINI Parts for Sale
12
03-04-2015 05:22 AM
jown.iv
MINI Parts for Sale
19
06-14-2013 04:33 AM
Want to Buy - All Other Items (archive)
2
07-10-2008 08:17 PM
OutMotoring
Vendor Announcements
0
10-20-2006 08:41 AM


Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 380cc Fuel Injectors on the cheap - How To


Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.