Drivetrain (Cooper S) MINI Cooper S (R56) intakes, exhausts, pulleys, headers, throttle bodies, and any other modifications to the Cooper S drivetrain.

Drivetrain Blow off and Diverter Valves

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2018, 06:19 PM
lazypeacock
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Blow off and Diverter Valves

Hello Folks I just got a 2012 Mini Cooper S,
This is my first post so please don't shun me if I have posted in the wrong area.
I am looking into both the Forge Blow off valve, and the GFB DV+. Does anyone have any experience with both of these valves? To my understanding they both achieve the same end result but that the Forge BOV will give me more noise under the hood, while the DV+ is possibly a better engineered product but I won't get as much of the woosh noises. I do not want to deal with Limp Mode and a dash full of CEL's and that means if I decide to go the Forge route that I would be paying a lot more money for the full kit rather than just the valve itself. I sure wouldn't mind the woosh noises but the Forge system appears to be twice the price.
Could someone let me know if I am correct on any of this? I am mechanically inclined and just getting into cars as a hobby so I apologise in advance if my lingo is incorrect.
I have already installed the AEM 21-721C Cold Air Intake system on my own without any issues. I thought it would be louder in the cabin but I really don't notice any difference.
My plan is to install a blow off valve next, the the Burger Tuning JB+ then eventually a catback exhaust. I picked this order on purpose so that I have the diverter/bov installed before the JB+ so it doesn't stress my system too much.
Thanks in advance
-Lazy

Old 05-08-2018, 07:26 PM
EdsNotHere
2nd Gear
Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts
I just st installed my GFB DV+ today and can say you don’t get any more noise but you do get boost that holds for a bit longer and I’m running 22lbs of boost and I don’t get any blowoff at light throttle. So far it helps with the issue I had. I also have the AEM Intake along with NM exhaust, front mount intercooler and 40mm turbo,

Last edited by EdsNotHere; 05-08-2018 at 07:34 PM.
Old 05-08-2018, 08:39 PM
squawSkiBum
Received 302 Likes on 223 Posts
No we won't shun you, but we will move your thread to the right place. Welcome!

Plenty of threads here on the topic. On the N14 and N18 engines (you have the N18), the turbo has a recirculator valve - NOT a blow-off valve. The ECU expects that when the turbo has been providing boost and the throttle is closed, the diverter valve opens and the high pressure air is recirculated instead of being vented. So expect that if you put on a blow off valve, you'll get a CEL along with the whoosh noises. Some people say they don't get a CEL - some say they do. Research and read.

The GFB valve doesn't fit on the manual transmission R56S.

There's also an updated part for the stock diverter valve that doesn't have the failure problem of the original part and has been reported to hold much higher than stock boost without any problems.

Old 05-10-2018, 07:14 AM
lazypeacock
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks folks. I will let you know what i decide to go with.

Old 05-11-2018, 12:18 AM
asysavanh
2nd Gear
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Forge has two types. Recirculating and vent to atmosphere. I’m planning on buying the recirculating. Lmk if you grab the recirc before I buy it myself lol.

Old 07-22-2018, 03:47 PM
MrGrumpy
6th Gear
Received 241 Likes on 207 Posts
Originally Posted by EdsNotHere
I just st installed my GFB DV+ today and can say you don’t get any more noise but you do get boost that holds for a bit longer and I’m running 22lbs of boost and I don’t get any blowoff at light throttle. So far it helps with the issue I had. I also have the AEM Intake along with NM exhaust, front mount intercooler and 40mm turbo,
Thread bump...... the sentence above got my attention. I am also running a 40mm turbo and having that exact issue, excessive blow off at light throttle! I have a DV+ on the way to fix this. Is it working still for you? I ordered the Alta spring for my diverter, but wasn’t sure if it would take care of the issue, but then I got a good deal on a DV+ from a forum member here, so I went ahead and pulled the trigger on it.

Old 07-22-2018, 04:24 PM
EdsNotHere
2nd Gear
Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by MrGrumpy

Thread bump...... the sentence above got my attention. I am also running a 40mm turbo and having that exact issue, excessive blow off at light throttle! I have a DV+ on the way to fix this. Is it working still for you? I ordered the Alta spring for my diverter, but wasn’t sure if it would take care of the issue, but then I got a good deal on a DV+ from a forum member here, so I went ahead and pulled the trigger on it.

still working great. I did adjust the waste gate about a half trun less on the boost and to holds boost a bit less but no surging or issues. Lately it’s harder to tell since it’s been averaging 108° lately here in Phoenix.

Old 07-22-2018, 04:33 PM
MrGrumpy
6th Gear
Received 241 Likes on 207 Posts
Good to know, thanks. I look forward to seeing how it works for me