Drivetrain (Cooper S) MINI Cooper S (R56) intakes, exhausts, pulleys, headers, throttle bodies, and any other modifications to the Cooper S drivetrain.

Drivetrain The Turbo......To cover, or Not to cover?

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2017, 08:00 PM
sselvia
2nd Gear
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
The Turbo......To cover, or Not to cover?

so what's the various opinions and reasoning on this subject! Seems weird to cover something that is so hot to keep IN the heat. I think I understand why you might cover it....but it still seems odd.

What are the advantages/dis-advantages? Do's/ don'ts, best products, etc.

Last edited by sselvia; 08-03-2017 at 08:12 PM.
Old 08-03-2017, 08:28 PM
Tigger2011
Alliance Member
Received 214 Likes on 151 Posts
My vote goes to the Way Motor Works heat blanket. Keeps the heat where it needs to be and away from your valve cover. It also fits under the factory heat shield for a nice stealth install.

The following users liked this post:
Native Texan (04-04-2021)
Old 08-03-2017, 08:33 PM
sselvia
2nd Gear
So it's a pretty worth while add on then in your opinion?
What about the WMW heat shield....the titanium one. That really needed or is that mostly for looks. They do look good and clean, and i like that look.

Old 08-04-2017, 03:35 AM
njaremka
Alliance Member
Received 1,714 Likes on 1,381 Posts
I vote for the WMW turbo blanket, keep the stock shield, and add one of the aftermarket shields for looks - I like the way the black ones blend with the stock valve cover.

Keeping the heat away from the valve cover is key, since it’s plastic and can melt. Then, once it melt, you have BIG problems.

Old 08-04-2017, 06:59 PM
Tigger2011
Alliance Member
Received 214 Likes on 151 Posts
Originally Posted by sselvia
So it's a pretty worth while add on then in your opinion?
What about the WMW heat shield....the titanium one. That really needed or is that mostly for looks. They do look good and clean, and i like that look.
Worthwhile? That depends. If your looking for every edge you can get then yes it makes sense. I run the WMW turbine wrap and the downpipe is ceramic coated to keep the heat in the exhaust and out of the engine bay as much as possible. Can't say I'd recommend any heatshield I've seen yet that goes over the entire turbo though. I have one sitting in the garage but won't install it. Setting aside melting your valve cover under heavy use. They do look great and clean up the engine bay nicely but any heat that does radiate up from the turbine side is trapped. Adding extra heat to the compressor side means your IC is going to have to work harder to remove that extra heat from the intake charge.

Old 08-05-2017, 05:21 AM
sselvia
2nd Gear
double post

Last edited by sselvia; 08-05-2017 at 05:24 AM. Reason: double posting
Old 08-05-2017, 05:23 AM
sselvia
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by Tigger2011
Worthwhile? That depends. If your looking for every edge you can get then yes it makes sense. I run the WMW turbine wrap and the downpipe is ceramic coated to keep the heat in the exhaust and out of the engine bay as much as possible. Can't say I'd recommend any heatshield I've seen yet that goes over the entire turbo though. I have one sitting in the garage but won't install it. Setting aside melting your valve cover under heavy use. They do look great and clean up the engine bay nicely but any heat that does radiate up from the turbine side is trapped. Adding extra heat to the compressor side means your IC is going to have to work harder to remove that extra heat from the intake charge.

Thanks, that makes sense. I was wondering exactly if the heat actually got dispersed somehow with the shield or what. Perhaps someone needs to design a scoop with some internal porting that actually makes it's way to the top of the engine more effectively.

Fixed the shield see below..................

Last edited by sselvia; 08-05-2017 at 02:04 PM.
Old 08-05-2017, 05:59 AM
njaremka
Alliance Member
Received 1,714 Likes on 1,381 Posts
I think the front edge of the metal shield is supposed to be inside the hood scoop...

Old 08-05-2017, 09:44 AM
sselvia
2nd Gear
Ah.....there you go! That makes sense and will look better, and give some flow under it. I'll give that a try, and send a new pic. Thanks for the heads up.

Old 08-05-2017, 10:04 AM
DneprDave
6th Gear
Received 85 Likes on 77 Posts
Definitely go with the Way Motor Works turbo wrap. I work on large industrial engines, and every one of them insulate or "Lag" the hot side of the turbocharger.

A turbocharger is a heat engine, the hotter the gas side is the more efficient it gets. The insulation also keeps the rest of the engine bay significantly cooler, even the turbocharger's pedestal bearings. It will increase the life of your turbocharger.

https://www.waymotorworks.com/wmw-tu...at-shield.html

Old 08-05-2017, 01:45 PM
sselvia
2nd Gear
How about this way....WAY? Doh!! BTW.....love the addition of that felt pad.

Last edited by sselvia; 08-05-2017 at 02:02 PM.
Old 08-07-2017, 07:55 AM
mbwicz
6th Gear
Received 50 Likes on 43 Posts
There are 3 reasons to think about a heat shield or wrap:

1. Turbo Efficiency: this was discussed above. Basically, if you can keep the exhaust side hot, it will have higher velocity, and slightly greater efficiency running the turbine.
2. Heat Control: Keeping the hot side hot and cool side cool is good for performance (the WMW wrap is probably best for this). Keeping heat off of the valve cover and hood scoop is good (both can warp, the valve cover can actually create an oil leak). The last picture you show is the factory felt and foil heat shield to help keep the hood scoop from warping. Also, the factory oil supply line to the turbo has an o-ring that will eventually fail. Newer cars have a sheet metal shield around this fitting to help isolate the heat.
3. Aesthetics: Just remember if you run the NM or M7 shield to keep your stock shield in place. People have had valve cover melt downs because they didn't install the factory heat shield with the aftermarket shields.

On my old car I had an M7 shield and factory felt/foil insulation. I didn't have a valve cover or hood scoop failure in 75k miles with this setup.

Personally, I think that the WMW wrap is a nice setup, but I like the way the M7 heat shield looks (black is beautiful.....).

Have fun,
Mike

Old 08-07-2017, 07:18 PM
sselvia
2nd Gear
Thanks for that insight. I would certainly keep the stock turbo heat shield in place , and will likely add the wrap under the stock shield. But, I do like the look of the added heat shield, specifically the Titanium one at WMW. I would likely paint it black, but I like the way the standoffs "apparently" stay in place and smaller screws hold it onto those. Seems like a cleaner easier removal for cleaning, etc. My concern is that there is something about adding this shield that would be harmful....less than helpful...in some way to heat transfer, protection, sumum like that. That the air would not flow in a good way because of it and not work efficiently, negatively effecting the original design.

Clamb2697 (04-04-2022)
Old 08-11-2017, 09:14 AM
Dr. Spade
4th Gear
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
I just put cool tape on my new valve cover after having the last one melting partially due to the turbo oil line leaking. Would recommend.

Old 08-11-2017, 09:42 AM
Dr. Spade
4th Gear
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
I'm tempted to get the WMW one before getting back to track days but a universal T3 turbo blanket may sort of work for much less.

https://smile.amazon.com/HM-FC-Titan...rds=turbo+wrap

Old 08-12-2017, 01:27 PM
sselvia
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by Dr. Spade
I'm tempted to get the WMW one before getting back to track days but a universal T3 turbo blanket may sort of work for much less.

I have seen that before. I wonder how it would do? Looks like the real deal...sorta!

Old 08-12-2017, 01:32 PM
sselvia
2nd Gear
This is a follow up to the pic above of the felt pad and shield that I installed last weekend. I can tell you that... at least for me... this combo is working beautifully for keeping the hood cool....very cool!
I have given it the touch test on several occasions of normal driving with some zippies thrown in and the heat is very much reduced on the hood. I did the same hand test before this addition and it was VERY hot. So I can give a big thumbs up to these two pieces for reducing hood and scoop heat if your're interested in that.

BTW.....my model, or at least my car did not have the felt pad. I believe that some year models have this as standard.

WayMotorWorks (08-13-2017)
Old 08-13-2017, 05:37 PM
WayMotorWorks
Vendor
Received 757 Likes on 618 Posts
Originally Posted by Dr. Spade

The problem with the universal ones is the waste gate rod will get caught in it. That is why we had ours custom made to fit the MINI turbo.

HOTCHKIS | DDM | CRAVEN | AKRAPOVIC | NM ENGINEERING | MEGAN | FORGE | IE | OS GIKEN | POWERFLEX and more
Nightshift (11-02-2017)
Old 10-30-2017, 08:17 AM
bugeye1031
Received 80 Likes on 75 Posts
Originally Posted by WayMotorWorks
The problem with the universal ones is the waste gate rod will get caught in it. That is why we had ours custom made to fit the MINI turbo.
I have only installed the WMW blanket...so I can't comment on the universal blankets, but the WMW blanket fits extremely well and doesn't interfere with the waste gate actuator rod. I installed the WMW blanket, the original shield, the oil line shield, and the NM cover.

signcarver (11-01-2017)
Old 11-06-2017, 10:29 AM
minimontes
2nd Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
heres the thing with blankets that i think youre asking and you need to understand before your go wasting money of cheaper stuff:
a PROPER fitting blanket will keep the heat inside the hot side of the turbo- the "higher" the heat of the gasses- the faster they flow. this is actually a very odd concept as well, but the blanket keeping the turbine side hot while spinning actually will help cool the turbine more efficiently once your done. the blanket allows heat to be contained and transfer more efficiently in other words.

I would not suggest going cheap and getting a universal- just get the PROPER fitting one from WayMotorWorks.

the heat shield plates that sit over top really arent that beneficial. they trap radiant heat in an air space which then heats the cover up- the only way for that heat to dissipate is through finding an air channel to exit and radiate elswhere instead of being absorbed by a heat transfer device such as is done with the blanket containng the heat in the exhaust, tranfering the heat into the flowing gasses and to the internal pipe air to be released out the exit...

controlled versus uncontrolled.....

imagine 50 3 yr olds running around in a room- if you simply turn the lights off and open the door- they will still run free and eventually find a way out whilst destroying eveything in the room........
if you tie them all together, put up those fence barrier things and open a single door.....................you control the pah and nothing gets demolished....(this is the proper fitting blanket)

Old 11-06-2017, 11:18 AM
LostbutFound
2nd Gear
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
Would having the inside of the hot side of the turbo ceramic coated be a good thing?

Old 11-06-2017, 06:24 PM
keithmcgreggor
2nd Gear
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
My F21M has the hot side ceramic coated. Still need to get the manifold done, and the down pipe wrapped...

Old 11-08-2017, 06:54 AM
minimontes
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by LostbutFound
Would having the inside of the hot side of the turbo ceramic coated be a good thing?
Sure- if youve got the money for that, but the easiest and probably most cost effective route is just to wrap it with the wmw wrap- once you start getting into your coatings and stuff then youre not talking about just stopping heat from damaging your hood or to extend your turbo life- youre going into the f all ready, why not send in the entire dp along with it, and go catless, why not..................

Old 11-08-2017, 07:11 AM
LostbutFound
2nd Gear
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
youre going into the f all ready, why not send in the entire dp along with it, and go catless, why not..................
Mariokart sells a ceramic coated downpipe. So that leaves the turbo and exhaust manifold. Gpop does ceramic coating for the turbo and was just wondering how beneficial it would be to do. I am considering ceramic coating the manifold, turbo and downpipe.

Old 11-08-2017, 07:23 AM
minimontes
2nd Gear
direct answer- yes- its beneficial
any time you can control heat to the inside of the exhaust is beneficial. decrease under hood temps, increase exhaust gas temps creates faster flowing exhaust which means less built up backpressure on the turbine which means better and faster spooling of the turbo.

so simple answer- yes, ceramic coating everything possible would be beneficial lol.
my retort was simply to continue addressing his original question of controlling underhood temps through blanket use vs heat "shield" plate.

sorry for any misunderstanding