Drivetrain (Cooper S) MINI Cooper S (R53) intakes, exhausts, pulleys, headers, throttle bodies, and any other modifications to the Cooper S drivetrain.

Drivetrain Exhaust is my problem like people with wheels

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2014, 07:26 AM
Saltysalt
6th Gear
Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Exhaust is my problem like people with wheels

Hey guys, i have a problem, i enjoy exhaust too much and how they look. i love my magnaflow sounds great looks great, but im kinda bored with it now, and im wishing to do somehting a bit more radical.

somone on here did a 3 inch exhaust to a single dump with a HKS Can. im digging the look alot, not sure how i feel about the 3inch and the HKS. i was thinking of the same look ish, pop out on the non s side, getting the non s valence. running a magnaflow (cause i like the sound) or a borla round muffler. and running a resonator in the normal location after the header to help reduce drone

https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...t-install.html is the reference

i was looking initially at 10426 magnaflow muffler

also have no idea what i want from a resonator, i know vibrants are really good, but i know they reduce alot of sound (i will have a racing header so this may be good)

looking for you guys's thoughts and there will obviously be a before and after with the magnaflow non racing header, w/ racing header, and new "cat"back exhaust

i could also look into other mufflers, but i know those are easy to get, flow masters are another abundant brand, akaprovic would be nice as well but i cannot find one

**edit picture added is what im thinking of**

Attached Thumbnails Exhaust is my problem like people with wheels-img2012030800015o.jpg  

Last edited by Saltysalt; 08-05-2014 at 10:57 AM.
Old 08-05-2014, 09:52 AM
ZippyNH
6th Gear
Received 34 Likes on 34 Posts
Depends....you want function, or just looks?
Go to big with a small displacement motor, and you loose tourqe.....
Another thought....
To go with a r50 style straight exaust, you would need to move the battery box...or have a huge custom bend...
And then sound....single sided or non-resonated exaust tend to drone...lots...OK for short trips, but pretty annoying after a few minutes....
Its your car...you can go for the big diesel look exaust coming out your butt...but IMO it looks kinda...er..out of place..in a cartoonish kinda way...even beyond "rice" boy racer...just overdone.
The thinking and brainstorming is good though....
Many options....
I prefer TONE and no drone....a 2 or 4 HP gain would be nice bonus....weight loss would be good I guess....
Another thought....have you changed your tips out? Can make a huge difference in looks!!

Old 08-05-2014, 10:05 AM
Saltysalt
6th Gear
i love everything about my magnaflow. just was thinking of something different and out of the box. my goal is to not have a fart can sticking out of my car, but just to offer up something different. i really like what the reference thread shows, great looks i just wouldnt use a 3 inch exhaust cause thats way to large for our cars, id either stick to 2.5 or 2.25. i have a bit of drone now with the magnaflow catback, nothing that isnt cured by a bit of music, one of the reasons why i was looking for some opionons on good mufflers and resonators, and the r50 uses the same hangers on the side, just exits out one side, im trying to stay away from the straight thru cause i dont want to move the battery box

Old 08-05-2014, 01:07 PM
boxer
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Try Remus. Nice sound. You can find many youtube vids.

Old 08-05-2014, 01:58 PM
soccerbummer1104
5th Gear
Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
you will want some noise gone.

I had 3 vibrants all in line and it was still head-ache inducing in 5 minutes if you ever took it above 40% throttle

Would not be bad for a track day with the windows down and a helmet on, but that would be the only way.

if you want radical I would suggest a vibrant up front and a small straight through muffler at the back.

magnaflows will take a lot of sound out, but it is quieter than what I would deem "radical"

if you really want a radical sound you need thin wall (.028-.035 which lands you in titanium territory at ~$40/ft price just for the tubing)
gets that race like reverb though.
(invidia does not count)

we can talk turkey if you want something custom.

BTW... for that style from the picture above.

Just do the rear trim correctly.

If you order the bottom piece and the two small side bits for the base cooper they will all fit onto the S bumper and clean it up nicely for the offset outlet instead of the centered twins.

just my .02

Old 08-06-2014, 05:45 AM
Saltysalt
6th Gear
i knew you would chime in soccer and i was hoping so!

im not gunna go as radical as titanium tubing normal stainless tubing, not sure wall thickness. the goal is not to be wake the dead loud, thats for my dirtbike, which at full throttle is 102 db

but im looking for something spirited, my magnaflow catback is actually not loud enough for my tastes catless will prolly be where i would want it.

but i still want the sytle posted above. its good to know that the vibrants dont dampen that much, so if i go with the ultra quiet and a mangaflow muffler i should be all set?

the rear trim will be done correctly, the r50 valence and side trim pieces are a must, no need to have two holes in my valence. i cant really do trackdays so straight pipeish would be annoying esspecially since i go on multiple road adventures a year, (minis on top, minis in foliage, next year dragon?)

Old 08-06-2014, 08:43 AM
soccerbummer1104
5th Gear
Salty,

The "cutout open" is with an ultraquiet and a magnaflow muffler. ( + cat and a 4,2,1 stepped header)

Old 08-06-2014, 08:50 AM
Saltysalt
6th Gear
and you think this is too loud? or perfect street tone?

ill have a 4-2-1 header in at somepoint soon, right now its catless and if i cant get the CEL to go away i have a high flow cat to go in, i just dont wanna hack it up immediatly.

my tolerance of sound im sure is higher than most, i have a loud dirtbike, mildy loud sportbike, and my car is much quieter than both, ive heard some great sounding r56's and they definently have less pipe and thats the volume i want to be at granted they have a turbo, and that muffles a decent amount

i did hear your video(one i thought was very quiet), but volume is hard to tell in videos, im not looking for straight pipe or glass packs, i would potentially do glasspacks with stock header and cat

Old 08-06-2014, 09:15 AM
TheBigChill
5th Gear
Received 51 Likes on 35 Posts
2.5" pipe, two or three quality resonators, and have it dump out of either one or both side-skirts.

https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...t-exhaust.html

Radical.

Old 08-06-2014, 09:18 AM
soccerbummer1104
5th Gear
the cutout open one is really not too loud.
It uses a magnaflow straight through muffler (perforated tube and 3 types of packing around it with a fairly large chamber) and the vibrant ultraquiet.

It was quiet at part throttle.
Had a nice exhaust note, but did not interfere on long trips (imo) and I could still enjoy my radio.

Got a little noisier when I got on it, but it was by far one of the quieter "sports" exhausts I ever made in college. (most of the other ones were open turbo dumbs at the owners request by contrast however )

The magnaflow mufflers are serious sound reducers. Pretty nuts really considering you can see straight through them.

I know on our M3 build the way we got it to be reasonable but loud and not rhaspy was running a vibrant at the y pipe, a glass pack after the mid tunnel brace, then putting a y split and then two sets of vibrants in parallel. (aka 4 vibrants in parallel) to make quad exhaust tips.

so it was

V - y pipe
| - tubing
0 - vibrant ultraquiet res.
| - tubing
[] - glass pack
/\ - split
/ \
/ \
/\ /\ - set of y splits
0 0 0 0 - 4x vibrant ultraquiets

tips

so it took all of that just to get it even driveable and with no rhasp.
but it is a unique case as he wanted it stupid loud outside, no drone inside, but still loud when he got on it, and no typical E46 rhasp.

Old 08-06-2014, 11:39 AM
Saltysalt
6th Gear
Originally Posted by TheBigChill
2.5" pipe, two or three quality resonators, and have it dump out of either one or both side-skirts.

https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...t-exhaust.html

Radical.
i cant tell you how much i love side exhaust, and id love to do it, but i dont know the legality of it in NH

Old 08-06-2014, 11:47 AM
Saltysalt
6th Gear
Originally Posted by soccerbummer1104
the cutout open one is really not too loud.
It uses a magnaflow straight through muffler (perforated tube and 3 types of packing around it with a fairly large chamber) and the vibrant ultraquiet.

It was quiet at part throttle.
Had a nice exhaust note, but did not interfere on long trips (imo) and I could still enjoy my radio.

Got a little noisier when I got on it, but it was by far one of the quieter "sports" exhausts I ever made in college. (most of the other ones were open turbo dumbs at the owners request by contrast however )

The magnaflow mufflers are serious sound reducers. Pretty nuts really considering you can see straight through them.

I know on our M3 build the way we got it to be reasonable but loud and not rhaspy was running a vibrant at the y pipe, a glass pack after the mid tunnel brace, then putting a y split and then two sets of vibrants in parallel. (aka 4 vibrants in parallel) to make quad exhaust tips.

so it was

V - y pipe
| - tubing
0 - vibrant ultraquiet res.
| - tubing
[] - glass pack
/\ - split
/ \
/ \
/\ /\ - set of y splits
0 0 0 0 - 4x vibrant ultraquiets

tips

so it took all of that just to get it even driveable and with no rhasp.
but it is a unique case as he wanted it stupid loud outside, no drone inside, but still loud when he got on it, and no typical E46 rhasp.
good to know, i think the vibrant and the magnaflow will be great together

they are only serious sound reducers when the air flow is minimal having the flow actually go through the fiberglass in the muffler, when pushed hard it skips over the corrugated steel and flows through, same thing with my sportbike, its relativly quiet till about 30% throttle but you can see straight down to the bend at the header

Old 08-06-2014, 06:14 PM
Da_Ghost
5th Gear
Received 56 Likes on 44 Posts
I deleted my battery box to get a "straight" exhaust from front to back. Not for everyone, but I wanted to keep the central exit for the muffler. I ran a Dynomax VT for some time, but the stupid trap was making a rattling noise, ended up cutting it out and basically running a straight muffler. A tad too loud for my taste, but it wasn't that bad otherwise. A month ago I got pulled over in the city where I work (a couple strict cops over there for anything modified). Replaced the VT with a Borla Turbo I had here, but it's almost as loud, except that it's a deeper sound.

Exhaust will wait next season for now, but I want to get my hands on a X-Force Varex muffler. Electronic butterfly valve inside that allows to either run it closed, where the exhaust goes 3 times in the chambers before coming out or valve open, which is straight thru muffler. It's on the pricey side tho, between 4-500$ depending on the vendor, but for me, it's the best of both world, quiet on the street, louder on the track.